Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ashex posted:

Is anyone having an issue with Share going straight to Hangouts instead of giving you a selection of apps? This keeps happening when I want to share something from G+ Photos or Youtube. This is on the Nexus 5.

I'm having the exact same problem except it always goes to G+. I had to wipe to do some root fuckery and the problem went away but I have a feeling it will come back in some weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Well poo poo, it's happening in pretty much all apps now. Tried resetting default for G+ and Hangouts with no change.

Edit: Appears to be a rather common issue, some suggested workarounds here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2521219&highlight=share

Ashex fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2013

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Anyone bought a car dock for their Nexus 5 yet? Any suggestions?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

klockwerk posted:

I've been using an iOttie Easy Flex 2 for my Nexus 4. It accepts phones up to 3" wide.

e: I trimmed down and stuck a NFC tag on the back of it in the little circular pit, works fine with the Nexus 4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ashex posted:

Well poo poo, it's happening in pretty much all apps now. Tried resetting default for G+ and Hangouts with no change.

Edit: Appears to be a rather common issue, some suggested workarounds here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2521219&highlight=share

Well ain't that cute.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

klockwerk posted:

I made this: http://www2.robpol86.com/guides/Wireless-Charging-Car-Dock/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the mounting pattern? 4x30mm? I might finally make use of my change tray...

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

you could probably sell this

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Hadlock posted:

What is the mounting pattern? 4x30mm? I might finally make use of my change tray...

Not sure what you mean by mounting pattern.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

you could probably sell this

I'd buy it, a wireless charger on my car mount? gently caress yes.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'd buy it, a wireless charger on my car mount? gently caress yes.

I put the instructions on that page, it's so easy to make! You just remove four screws, flip around the stuff inside, and screw it back. Sprinkle on some magnets and you're done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Robpol86 posted:

Not sure what you mean by mounting pattern.

How far apart are the holes metal discs

VESA mounts (for flat panel displays) are typically 4x100mm

Conveniently so are most cheap Honda/Toyota rims

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I dunno, it doesn't go above 640mA. I'm fine with tossing my phone on a wireless charger at my desk or overnight, but in the car I'd rather stick with my ~2A charger.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Hadlock posted:

How far apart are the holes

Ah, I'm not sure. I don't have it with me at the moment. They're roughly 2 inches from one another (LxH) but thats not precise.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Robpol86 posted:

I put the instructions on that page, it's so easy to make! You just remove four screws, flip around the stuff inside, and screw it back. Sprinkle on some magnets and you're done.

I might give that a try, but now I'm thinking that it might not work with a case eh.

Your post there is also the first time I've seen a CD slot car mount. I don't know what the gently caress kind of rock I've been living under, I have a basic suction cup one and hate it. Any recommendations for CD tray car things here?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, dude. I love my phone but I really feel like the speed at which it can write things to storage is holding me back.

Storage write speed limits for example when you try shooting high-speed video or pictures at a high fps, no reason for your sarcasm. It's of course more visible with something like the Nokia 1020 with its 41 MP-pictures, but doesn't mean it's no issue elsewhere.
Read speed of course when loading big files or many small files.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

klockwerk posted:

I have a universal mount that resembles a large bulldog clip, used it for a few phones now and it's pretty nifty.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

klockwerk posted:

I already have the brodit nexus 4 dock (version with no charging connector). The Nexus 5 fits perfectly in that, doesn't move around at all.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your post there is also the first time I've seen a CD slot car mount. I don't know what the gently caress kind of rock I've been living under, I have a basic suction cup one and hate it. Any recommendations for CD tray car things here?
I bought this and like it a lot except in my new car is blocks the heat controls. I've never been a fan of window or dash mounts much.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Are there any apps that can successfully show wake locks on 4.4 or did Google straight up disable the API or something? Android system has kept my phone awake for a day now and I'm wondering how I can track down what the culprit is.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Lblitzer posted:

I bought this and like it a lot except in my new car is blocks the heat controls. I've never been a fan of window or dash mounts much.

I, too have that one, for my Nexus 4. Bought it in June, and It's been solid as a rock, whether I've got the phone in vertical or horizontal mode.

I also wound up adding an NFC tag to it to badly-jury-rig a Tasker scene that gives me ten seconds to choose one of four Navigation apps before dismissing itself. That still kind of needs work, but hasn't yet been sufficiently annoying to make me disable or retool it.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Should I be training my battery on my Nexus 5? It's kind of a pain in the rear end to do.

If I should be, is there an app for battery training?

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 18, 2013

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Benjamin Black posted:

Should I be training my battery on my Nexus 5? It's kind of a pain in the rear end to do.

If I should be, is there an app for battery training?

What?

Batteries don't need training. Charge it whenever you feel like it. There is no memory effect or poo poo like that anymore. Batteries also don't need a full charge and discharge before you use your phone. Just use it out of the box

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

klockwerk posted:

I grabbed this one for $25, works really well and I like that its low profile. Fits my nexus 5 with a case on it in either portrait or landscape. Really fast and free shipping.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rusty! posted:

I have a universal mount that resembles a large bulldog clip, used it for a few phones now and it's pretty nifty.

I had one of those and it fell off the dash one day and the clip broke in half. Also it was a pain to have to use two hands to use it.

Now I have the Aduro U-GRIP. Its $20 on Amazon and owns really hard. Very well built, not gigantic, sticks to everything, and very easy to use with only one hand.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 18, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bronin posted:

What?

Batteries don't need training. Charge it whenever you feel like it. There is no memory effect or poo poo like that anymore. Batteries also don't need a full charge and discharge before you use your phone. Just use it out of the box

What if your phone uses a nickel cadmium battery? :smug:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

proclip or nothing.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Seconded. I've had a universal ProClip in my car for years, and it's seen everything from my HTC G2 on up. Best money spent on a car rig.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Anyone here have a Note 3 yet?

I'm thinking of getting one on my AT&T account. I have a GS3 right now and really like the Galaxy Series. I was looking at the GS4 originally but I can't stop drooling over the Note 3's hardware.

Is it any good? How's the battery life under smart usage? (data off when not being used, etc) I've heard very good things

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Streptovsky posted:

I'm thinking of getting one on my AT&T account. I have a GS3 right now and really like the Galaxy Series. I was looking at the GS4 originally but I can't stop drooling over the Note 3's hardware.

Is it any good? How's the battery life under smart usage? (data off when not being used, etc) I've heard very good things

If you like your S3, And dont mind the size, you'll like the device. Its pretty solid all around hardware wise and the battery will make your S3 look awful.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Streptovsky posted:

My boyfriend got one and loves it. Doesn't turn poo poo off and gets well over a full day of medium/heavy usage.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Oh my god I'm in love.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

How far apart are the holes metal discs
Stick the magnets to the phone first and measure?

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

If you like your S3, And dont mind the size, you'll like the device. Its pretty solid all around hardware wise and the battery will make your S3 look awful.

Yeah it's a bit big but I think I'd like it.

As much as I love my GS3 I'm getting really tired of it. It's developed a problem where dropping it from 6 inches or so will shut it off (I.e. just casually tossing it on a table when you get home from work)

It even shuts off if I throw it onto my bed.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

ilysespieces posted:

My boyfriend got one and loves it. Doesn't turn poo poo off and gets well over a full day of medium/heavy usage.

I hope this doesn't double post...

How heavily does he use it? For me, heavy usage is watching netflix/youtube at work and browsing forums. It'll usually drop my battery to around 50% within 3-4 hours

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Streptovsky posted:

Yeah it's a bit big but I think I'd like it.

As much as I love my GS3 I'm getting really tired of it. It's developed a problem where dropping it from 6 inches or so will shut it off (I.e. just casually tossing it on a table when you get home from work)

It even shuts off if I throw it onto my bed.

Don't throw your phone I guess?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I posted this in Coupons but ISIS is actually paying you to use their service. 20% rebates, up to $200, on what you spend with ISIS and a linked Amex Serve card. If you never use it again, at least it's a 20% discount on your Christmas shopping.

You may need a new SIM for ISIS to work. The one that came in my Droid Maxx worked just fine.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Streptovsky posted:

I hope this doesn't double post...

How heavily does he use it? For me, heavy usage is watching netflix/youtube at work and browsing forums. It'll usually drop my battery to around 50% within 3-4 hours

He uses it for ~1 hour at work reading forums and then another good 3-4 hours at night listening to podcasts/audiobooks and reading forums with some texting/short phone calls throughout the day and he's able to avoid charging it every night (and only charges it at night because he can't just use the old microusb cord he had at work for his old Droid X).

It may just be because my GS3 battery sucks right now (I have to charge it twice a day, at work after ~2 hours of browsing/streaming music and then when I get home after another ~2 hours, it would last me the whole day but I'd definitely get the low battery notification on my way home) that I think that's amazing, but I think it's pretty great. Not Maxx levels of awesome, but he doesn't worry about it dying at all. It's only died once and that was when he didn't charge it two nights in a row.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kitten smoothie posted:

I posted this in Coupons but ISIS is actually paying you to use their service. 20% rebates, up to $200, on what you spend with ISIS and a linked Amex Serve card. If you never use it again, at least it's a 20% discount on your Christmas shopping.
Where did that come from? They're feeling the heat from HCE in Android? Even tho Wallet still wasn't opened up to more carriers and countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bronin posted:

Don't throw your phone I guess?

Let's be fair here, it should survive both (especially the bed) without problems. It's not like he is fast-balling it into a wall.

• Locked thread