Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Any recommendations for good remote apps for iPad? I don't use logmein because I don't need screen share. Currently using hipporemote but it isn't universal. My iPad is always around and available so I'd rather use that to control my entertainment system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Edited because I just read the rules

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 16, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We don't tolerate that kind of stuff here, but head over to YOSPOS and they're a lot more tolerant of that kind of thing

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So. Podcast apps. I'm using Downcast at the moment, and it's fine, but it feel like I could be using something better. There are two features that I'd love to have that I could swear I've heard of, but either or both could be some kind of crazy fever dream that nobody has implemented.

1) The ability to 'shuffle' between all (or a subset of) my podcasts with unplaced episodes that respects the chronological order of episodes within each podcast. In other words, if I have, say, all of Night Vale unplayed, and a bunch of other podcasts with only their newest episode, or the last 2 or 3 episodes, it'd jump between podcasts at random after each played ep, but always play the oldest episode of whatever it jumps to.

2) when playing through a bunch of podcasts, will, between episodes, stream the latest update of a news podcast like NPR's hourly news summary.

Basically, I want my podcast listening experience to be more like a real radio station.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

milkaxor posted:

Any recommendations for good remote apps for iPad.

I use 2X on iPad to do RDP connections and haven't had any problems.

I also use Splashtop and love it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a decent Pokedex app that's slipped through the cracks with X and Y info?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a decent Pokedex app that's slipped through the cracks with X and Y info?

I don't play Pokemon, but the wikia app has access to a Pokemon wiki. Functionally, that should do it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

There's always this:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Is Google Play Music more like Spotify where I pay :10bux: a month to listen to any music, or iTunes Radio/Pandora where I can only make music stations but not directly play a song?

Diabolik900 posted:

There's always this:

Wolfram Alpha recently added a ton of Pokédex poo poo to their database so I think that might be actually what you're looking for.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Google Play Music more like Spotify where I pay :10bux: a month to listen to any music, or iTunes Radio/Pandora where I can only make music stations but not directly play a song?

It's a goofy hybrid of Pandora and iTunes Match last I looked.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's Spotify with the added ability of uploading 20,000 of your own songs. It's actually a pretty good service--better than Spotify and Rdio, I'd say.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

maduin posted:

It's Spotify with the added ability of uploading 20,000 of your own songs. It's actually a pretty good service--better than Spotify and Rdio, I'd say.

You don't have to pay for the uploading of your music library.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

maduin posted:

This exactly, It's really nice since a few bands still refuse to be added to even iTunes let alone spotify/play/rdio. So with play you can just add whoever you cant find.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Is there an app that somehow adds an Archive button to the iOS Mail app? I hate having to manually move messages to my Archive folder. If the iOS mail app can actually recognize what an Archive folder is and show it with a special icon why can't they add 1 line of code to make a "Move to Archive" shortcut?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

feld posted:

Is there an app that somehow adds an Archive button to the iOS Mail app? I hate having to manually move messages to my Archive folder. If the iOS mail app can actually recognize what an Archive folder is and show it with a special icon why can't they add 1 line of code to make a "Move to Archive" shortcut?

The stock Mail app does that already. It can't actually delete a message, only send it to the Archive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If it's gmail we're talking about:

Setting it up as exchange (grandfathered in at this point) you could change what deleting on iOS does on some web page, I think.

Setting it up as a gmail/google account now (aka no push) let's you choose between archive or delete on the settings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I did it today with my Gmail accounts. Swipe the email and the Archive button appears.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm having a strange problem with importing .vcf's from my old dumbphone. It exports my contacts each to an individual .vcf. Importing multiple .vcf's doesn't seem to be supported by iCloud. What's the easiest way to import all these individual .vcf's into iCloud?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I'm having a strange problem with importing .vcf's from my old dumbphone. It exports my contacts each to an individual .vcf. Importing multiple .vcf's doesn't seem to be supported by iCloud. What's the easiest way to import all these individual .vcf's into iCloud?

You could combine them into one single one and then drag to the Contacts thing in the iCloud page.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

http://www.creativeworld9.com/2011/04/how-to-combine-all-vcf-files-to-single.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

There's always this:

You can also save a few words and just say "wolfram [pokemon]" (same goes for other Wolfram Alpha queries for that matter).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

japtor posted:

You can also save a few words and just say "wolfram [pokemon]" (same goes for other Wolfram Alpha queries for that matter).

My main problem is that Siri can't really figure out the names of Pokemon vs actual words. Saying "Gogoat" results in a crap ton of results ranging from directions to a goat or information about gargoyles.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

My main problem is that Siri can't really figure out the names of Pokemon vs actual words. Saying "Gogoat" results in a crap ton of results ranging from directions to a goat or information about gargoyles.

Siri is looking out for your best interests here, even if you aren't.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Any thoughts on CardStar vs. KeyRing vs. some other barcode scanning app I've never heard of for storing loyalty cards?

The simpler to use for my technophobic mother with her first smartphone, the better.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

This is a perfect example of the lack of attention to detail that is prevalent after Jobs passed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for a way to record my voicemails on my computer. From googling, it seems I can't just download them from the phone.

Any apps/methods someone can suggest?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

nwin posted:

Looking for a way to record my voicemails on my computer. From googling, it seems I can't just download them from the phone.

Any apps/methods someone can suggest?

Try iexplorer.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Any thoughts on CardStar vs. KeyRing vs. some other barcode scanning app I've never heard of for storing loyalty cards?

The simpler to use for my technophobic mother with her first smartphone, the better.

I've used KeyRing with no major issues. It's pretty much 2 taps to get the card up. 1 to launch app, 1 to choose card.

The only snag I've run into is that some retailers can't seem to scan my phone and have to key it's manually.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

JayKay posted:

The only snag I've run into is that some retailers can't seem to scan my phone and have to key it's manually.
It's rare that I find one who does, the majority of them see me pull out my phone, sigh and ask me for my phone number.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The giant square Starbucks scanners work wonderfully... and that's about it.

Actually, I've had some luck with online boarding passes, too, shockingly. (I guess the PR downside of offering online boarding passes and not being able to process them is a lot worse than a loyalty card at a shopping center.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just scan the bar codes from your loyalty cards and print them onto mailing labels stuck to an old library card. Sometimes I get funny looks, but I've got 6 loyalty cards combined onto one and never have to fuss with an app.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Just scan the bar codes from your loyalty cards and print them onto mailing labels stuck to an old library card. Sometimes I get funny looks, but I've got 6 loyalty cards combined onto one and never have to fuss with an app.
Even easier to is to just print as many of the cards as you can fit onto a buisness card size sheet, then have it laminated or ghetto laminate with packing tip.
Pro-tip, the barcode doesn't have to be as wide as they actually are, you can make them about 1cm wide to fit a ton onto a card.
this website Will also generate bar codes from a string of numbers for you, use the numbers printed under the official barcode.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CaptainPsyko posted:

2) when playing through a bunch of podcasts, will, between episodes, stream the latest update of a news podcast like NPR's hourly news summary.

Basically, I want my podcast listening experience to be more like a real radio station.

Dunno if this would work without stopping and restarting the playlist, but might get something close by subscribing to the NPR hourly news podcast, tell it to keep only the most most recent unheard episode, set it to streaming and set the priority to the highest value. I do something similar with the daily Marketplace Morning Report podcast which I always want to hear first as part of my morning get-ready-for-work playlist.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm abroad and turned off my cellular data, but when I opened Google Maps it had the old map data still loaded and was it was able to still pinpoint my new locations. Any idea how it's doing that?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
GPS can work without a data signal, and Google Maps cached the data you were looking at before.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Find My Friends finally got its iOS7 update today.

It and iBooks were my last outstanding Apple apps lacking in flatness.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
e: problem resolved

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 19, 2013

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Those of you looking to consolidate loyalty cards should check this out: Just One Club Card. Every time I pull it out at a register I get a lot of comments like "wow I wish I thought of that!"

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight
TeeVee 2 is a free download today.

iTunes Link

The Batman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Anyone know how to change the phone number associated with an iCloud Keychain account? I set it to my Google Voice number, but I'm not getting the text I'm supposed to, so I can't confirm Keychain setup on my iPad.

• Locked thread