Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

thespaceinvader posted:

To be a little more specific, I'm wondering about highlights and OSL-type stuff whilst retaining at least some of the translucency.

I've done a little bit of experimenting. I don't think it's possible to make highlights and retain transparency, only shadows. It seems that anything lighter than the base material is going to have to be opaque to be seen.

EDIT: Top of the page images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I think painting it in the traditional way to make flames is going to be mutually exclusive with transparency.

I did this fireball, but of course it's the metal version of that mini instead of the clear bones version. I have yet to attempt painting the bones version, although now that I can make it light up, I'll probably give it a shot.

In any event, this is the best fire analysis/guide I've seen, it's really good stuff: http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lazslo pretty much invented the proper way to paint fire in miniature, so yeah, his tutorials are the way to go :)

He was also one of the painters who helped pioneer OSL, so check out his Halloween diorama in the gallery.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 11, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm thinking of buying the Colossal Skeleton from the kickstarter as a single mini, but I just want to check, are the arms pictured the only options it comes with? Because the metal version has a khopesh that I like a lot more than the grave-hammer.

EDIT: vvvv Thanks. Maybe I'll snip the cross off the top and greenstuff over the inscription.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 11, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The skeleton comes with the gravestone hammer and nothing else.
I don't think any of the bones come with optional parts, part of keeping the cost down.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It is a pretty awesome bone giant though, even without the option. Highly recommended.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reaper also sells their metal models piecemeal, so you could order just the arms/weapons you want from the old version. It looks like the khopesh piece is just the hand and khopesh and costs $2.04.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zurai posted:

Reaper also sells their metal models piecemeal, so you could order just the arms/weapons you want from the old version. It looks like the khopesh piece is just the hand and khopesh and costs $2.04.

I just ordered the bones version, I'd be pretty wary about attaching a metal part to that soft resin.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just ordered the bones version, I'd be pretty wary about attaching a metal part to that soft resin.
Bonesium isn't that bad, it's more of a question of the metal arm being much heavier and the model falling over every time you look at it wrong.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'd be wary too if it was the entire arm, but it's just forearm and weapon, which are practically resting on the base. It wouldn't be hard at all to make them actually rest on the base, and it should be possible to pin it too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bones seem to take to superglue pretty well so pinning and glueing should be fine to keep it attached, the only worry I would have is if the sword wasn't resting on the base the weight might cause the mini to tip over.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did I miss them turning the online pledge manager on, or are we still waiting?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm...it's been on since about halfway through the kickstarter.

http://ks.reapermini.com

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bad Munki posted:

Umm...it's been on since about halfway through the kickstarter.

http://ks.reapermini.com

That's just the calculator at the moment though, you're still not allowed to finalize anything.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fix posted:

That's just the calculator at the moment though, you're still not allowed to finalize anything.

Yeah, I meant the finalizer, where I can pay the difference for the extra stuff I want to add now that the KS is over and I've been paid again.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah, I meant the finalizer, where I can pay the difference for the extra stuff I want to add now that the KS is over and I've been paid again.

If like the last Kickstarter they did; We will be able to pay extra at the same time we are able to click the finalize button.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I upgraded my Shelf of Shame.

(They aren't all out there, I've got some still in boxes, such as a bazillion orcs.)

Now I just need someone to paint these little bastards.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Just got a lightbox so now I can be an amateur photographer and a terrible painter. Here's all the Bones I've completed thus far. Besides two pewter minis from a tutorial kit, this is the sum total of everything I've ever painted.

The wraith is one of those transparent minis, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it so now he's just a black Ringwraith guy. The bugbear, ogre and illithid were the last three I painted and they definitely turned out better than the others. Progress?

I haven't figured out how to base minis yet so I guess that is next. Have to get in practice before I get showered with Bones next year.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just in case that's not false modesty, you should know that painting is really pretty decent.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

JerryLee posted:

Just in case that's not false modesty, you should know that painting is really pretty decent.

Thanks, I really wish I had taken an art class in high school or something. Many years ago. Already ruined like 2 brushes because I don't know wtf. (what, don't let the varnish dry on them? too late). But it's been fun.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ritorix posted:

The wraith is one of those transparent minis, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it so now he's just a black Ringwraith guy.

I basically gave mine a green wash (I have two so one got almost neon green, one dark green - both are very effective in different ways).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Since its show-and-tell time, have some WIP troll:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Green troll club. :hf:

neonchameleon posted:

I basically gave mine a green wash (I have two so one got almost neon green, one dark green - both are very effective in different ways).

Do you have a pic of these?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

Project Update #76: Art Update!
Posted by Reaper Miniatures ♥ Like

A lot of people are wondering when the Pledge Manager will allow people to lock in their final reward selection - including adding additional funds for additional rewards. We're almost done going through everything, checking the code, and matching it to Kickstarter's data. Right now, we expect it to be ready by Thanksgiving (as observed in the US - about two weeks from now).

We'll be rolling out the full manager to only a few people at first - to make sure the system can handle the load and has no major bugs, so be patient if you're not in the first group.

There's also some pictures of sculpts:

The armor on the legs is much improved.

This thing will be translucent purple.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
dammit, now it doesn't look like he's wearing a monster sweater vest any more. Curse you, Reaper!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I love that without fail, everyone paints that wizard as Raistlin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

What have been people's experiences with hot water bending Bones figures? My Colossal Skeleton is a bit too laid back for its own good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So far, reasonable, but not had to do much. Dunk in hot water, hold in place whilst dunking in ice water, done. The couple of bits I've done haven't held perfectly, but have been much better than they were before the treatment.

Heavy things might also benefit from pins through thin supporting areas.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

What have been people's experiences with hot water bending Bones figures? My Colossal Skeleton is a bit too laid back for its own good.

I haven't tried it, but my friend who I split my order with said it worked like magic. You probably don't need boiling water -- just hot tap water might be enough, depending on your temp.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they soften somewhere below boiling - I did mine by boiling a kettle and pouring the water out into a mug.

Indeed, Id advise against doing them in a pot on direct heat, purely for safety.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

I've dunked all my bones in water that is either very hot or almost boiling, no matter if they need correcting or not. The warm water washes of whatever it is that prevents paint from going on somewhat smoothly without a primer. I haven't experienced a lot of difference between hot or boiling baths, or long or short ones. Just heat them up with water, and drop them in a pot of cold water, and you're golden.

PS. Do not try to pick up minis from boiling water with your bare hands.

In other news, we just playtested a homebrewn tactical RPG-light boardgame based on the Bones 1 set. It was a lot more fun than we thought, so now I'm motivated to paint the 3-5 minis left to have a painted 50 mini set to continue the playtesting with. I also might need to buy more basic monster Bones. The madness begins...

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 18, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bending bones in hot water is awesome. I use a small pot of boiling water, and I dunk the minis using a wire mesh strainer, which nicely keeps them out of contact with the plastic-meltingly-hot surface of the pot:

You can watch them straighten out as they soften up, and retrieving them just means picking up the wire basket. If you want to re-orient a limb or something (I do for many of mine, because arms and legs are always in that flat plane that comes with the casting/molding design process, and bending them out of that adds a huge amount of life), just grab it with your fingers and hold it wherever you want as you dunk it in ice water. Works fantastically, and if you screw it up, just re-boil it. I also have had good luck with just immersing parts of the mini for spot-bends.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

It's worked fairly well for me. Having the cold water for setting it is an integral part of the process.

A little bit of planning pays off for the larger pieces. In other words, don't give yourself too much to fix at a time; you've only got two hands and can only change so much in one go before it starts setting on it's own.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Thanks guys, a short dip in hot water and a dunk in cold solved things nicely. Still very impressed by how well everything fits together, looking forward to painting this guy when I get the time. My problem now is sorting out a base for it.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cross posting bones trolls from the mini painting thread:

Left is mostly Reaper HD, right is mostly Vallejo. Both gloss varnished, matte varnished, dullcoted and ready for the table.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Love the yellow-green welts. They just look so gross.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Quick question: if I'm going to convert bones minis with putty or plasticard, what should I do about painting them? Those kinds of materials usually need priming.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Quick question: if I'm going to convert bones minis with putty or plasticard, what should I do about painting them? Those kinds of materials usually need priming.

you prime them, bones can be primed, they just dont need it most of the time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Just spray-prime the whole the whatever color would be sensible. Army Painter also make a range of colored primers that are quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Just be careful what primer you use. A lot of primers won't cure properly on Bones. Army Painter tends to work fairly well, though. I typically use the Reaper brush-on primer, though I prime mostly just to make it easier to find mold lines.

This link has some useful information on the subject, as well as other Bones topics.

• Locked thread