Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BuckT.Trend posted:

What styluses (styli?) are you all using with your iPads? Instead of taking pen-and-paper notes at work, I'm looking to transition to taking them electronically so that I can index and search more easily. I suppose I could get a keyboard for my Air and type up notes in meetings, but since I often need to draw diagrams, sketch floor plans, etc. I think a good stylus/handwriting note app is a better investment.

I saw the Amazon Basics stylus in the OP, but since I'm impatient and don't want to wait/pay for shipping, I went down to the big-box store and got an Adonit Jot Pro. I chose it because it was the most "pen-like" and had the finest point. The rubber-tipped models I tried out felt like I was writing with jumbo preschool crayons.

While I like the Jot Pro in the couple of hours I've been playing with it, I'm a little worried about the plastic disc falling off at an inopportune time, scratching my screen.

Any suggestions?
The Jot Script is even more pen like! From some reviews I've read the barrel seems pretty fat (cause the AAA battery) and unlike the Jot Pro (and other battery powered styluses) it needs to be powered to work, vs just adding functionality. And this one isn't pressure sensitive but I'm not sure you care for that going by your usage.

...but I still wouldn't get it. From reviews it seems a bit sketchy, but I don't know how much has to do with the stylus hardware vs the software. Like to me it seems like the issues have to do with palm rejection but it doesn't seem like the reviews tested that theory out. If that is the problem I'd just do the old ghetto trick of wearing a glove or getting something like this thing. I just bought a glove and cut out the thumb, index and middle fingers.

Assuming the basic technology works I'm mainly waiting for Adobe's version (less fat, pressure sensitive) or presumably whatever other regular Adonit one they come out with themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

After a few days of owning my iPad Air, I have absolutely no complaints, except that I can't legally marry it. Seriously it's such an upgrade from an OG iPad. Usually after buying some electronic device I discover some tiny detail that bugs me, but this time - nothing. What an excellent loving piece of tech, highly recommend it. I hated the iPad mini 1st gen if that matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really like ColcaSac sleeves, but it doesn't look like they have iPad Air sleeves yet.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BuckT.Trend posted:

What styluses (styli?) are you all using with your iPads? Instead of taking pen-and-paper notes at work, I'm looking to transition to taking them electronically so that I can index and search more easily. I suppose I could get a keyboard for my Air and type up notes in meetings, but since I often need to draw diagrams, sketch floor plans, etc. I think a good stylus/handwriting note app is a better investment.

I saw the Amazon Basics stylus in the OP, but since I'm impatient and don't want to wait/pay for shipping, I went down to the big-box store and got an Adonit Jot Pro. I chose it because it was the most "pen-like" and had the finest point. The rubber-tipped models I tried out felt like I was writing with jumbo preschool crayons.

While I like the Jot Pro in the couple of hours I've been playing with it, I'm a little worried about the plastic disc falling off at an inopportune time, scratching my screen.

Any suggestions?
If anyone's looking for a standard stylus, definitely listen to the other goons, but I thought I'd throw out a fun "this is cool" suggestion. If you don't mind spending a little more and want an artsy experience, try the Sensu Brush/Stylus.

I know, it's $40, but it's pretty cool how it can transform between stylus (on par with standard Boxwave-style tips) and brush. Of course the brush only makes a single point of contact, so it's mostly an illusion, but it has a nice feel when you're working in apps that create fake brushstrokes.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

If anyone's looking for a standard stylus, definitely listen to the other goons, but I thought I'd throw out a fun "this is cool" suggestion. If you don't mind spending a little more and want an artsy experience, try the Sensu Brush/Stylus.

I know, it's $40, but it's pretty cool how it can transform between stylus (on par with standard Boxwave-style tips) and brush. Of course the brush only makes a single point of contact, so it's mostly an illusion, but it has a nice feel when you're working in apps that create fake brushstrokes.

I use the Sensu as well. It's pretty great.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I have a Wacom Bamboo Stylus Duo. Works pretty well - the Bamboo is what Paper by Fiftythree was designed to be used with. You don't need to buy the Duo model specifically, though, that just gets you an (admittedly very nice) ink pen on one end.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Does anyone make cases for the new iPad/mini that look and feel a bit more like the older, better Smart Cover?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

After a few days of owning my iPad Air, I have absolutely no complaints, except that I can't legally marry it. Seriously it's such an upgrade from an OG iPad. Usually after buying some electronic device I discover some tiny detail that bugs me, but this time - nothing. What an excellent loving piece of tech, highly recommend it. I hated the iPad mini 1st gen if that matters.

Yep, I still can't believe how well they hit it out of the park. I guess my only issue is the 1GB of RAM but honestly that's more of a theoretical issue for me. In practice the performance is so good I just don't care. Love it.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
So I purchased on release a retina mini and have been reading about the colour gamut issue everywhere. I generally keep the brightness low since I have issues with bright lights and wear tinted glasses 24/7. I'm not in any rush to return it or anything but are the people who see the issue running their devices at max brightness or something? It looks fine to me but don't know if I'm missing anything since I'm coming from an OG mini having previously downgraded from a 3rd gen iPad so I don't know if I'm missing the issue due to my gap in time without a retina display.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

got dat wmd posted:

So I purchased on release a retina mini and have been reading about the colour gamut issue everywhere.

It looks fine to me

Don't worry about it then. You have a year if you do end up noticing something.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure the color gamut issue is only a thing because it's worse compared to other recent iOS devices, not because it's objectively bad in any way. It gets brought up because it's one of the only differences between the Air and the retina Mini, not because it's really a problem. If you can't even see it, there's no reason to really worry about it.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Think of it in the way photographers go shopping for monitors versus the average person. For a photographer, color accuracy is everything, since they need to know that the change they make in Photoshop is what someone else will see in print or on their own screen. For the average person, though, it doesn't matter if the reds can't be as deep - all that matters is how good the display looks as a whole.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I get the idea that macrumors now more than ever is the worst place to go to for anything related to Apple products because they make the new mini sound like some poo poo Android product.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm pretty sure the color gamut issue is only a thing because it's worse compared to other recent iOS devices, not because it's objectively bad in any way. It gets brought up because it's one of the only differences between the Air and the retina Mini, not because it's really a problem. If you can't even see it, there's no reason to really worry about it.

I think it's also objectively worse than some Kindle and Nexus devices, at least according to the Arstechnica review. Still the point remains- if you don't have a problem with it, don't worry about it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

got dat wmd posted:

I get the idea that macrumors now more than ever is the worst place to go to for anything related to Apple products because they make the new mini sound like some poo poo Android product.

The macrumors forums have never been the place to go for information about new apple products. Or old apple products for that matter, unless you're trying to find a workaround for some strange rare bug that isn't documented anywhere else on the Internet.

MacRumors reaction to the original iPad makes "no wireless, less space than a Nomad" sound like a considered and thoughtful analysis.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've got a couple of photo question I hope you can help me with.

1) What's the best app for doing some light photo editing?

2) What's the best way to import and organize photos? Syncing a folder using iTunes is a bit messy - but then again I hate iTunes and might be doing something wrong.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Xabi posted:

2) What's the best way to import and organize photos? Syncing a folder using iTunes is a bit messy - but then again I hate iTunes and might be doing something wrong.

1) iPhoto if you have a new iOS device and are getting it for free.

2) I like using Dropbox to sync stuff, and then duplicating/moving/organizing as needed after import.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

in_cahoots posted:

I think it's also objectively worse than some Kindle and Nexus devices, at least according to the Arstechnica review. Still the point remains- if you don't have a problem with it, don't worry about it.

Yeah, not to minimize color gamut, but full sRGB reproduction is only truly valuable if you're doing professional color work. If you can look at photos and nothing looks "off" to you, it's good enough.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

CaptainPsyko posted:

1) iPhoto if you have a new iOS device and are getting it for free.

2) I like using Dropbox to sync stuff, and then duplicating/moving/organizing as needed after import.
Thanks. Is there any point of using the native photo stream if you're syncing with Dropbox? Right now I'm doing both but that seems a bit daft, especially since I end up with two versions of every photo...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Xabi posted:

1) Snapseed or iPhoto.

2) I just sync separate folders I created within my Pictures directory in Windows. That automatically creates albums, and lets you be selective about which photos iTunes imports.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
Just got my iPad mini retina 32gb space gray AT&T in and I have to say, without doing any direct OCD comparisons with the retina 3 and iPad air, The screen and finish is absolutely stunning. I have owned a iPad 3 since release and recently bought the Air in silver for my parents, and this is hands down my preferred device. Perfect size, weight and heft is not noticeably different from the original iPad mini, and in my opinion it actually feels and handles better with the slightly extra heft. I used the IPad Air for a week before giving it to my parents and I'm not noticing a worse screen on this device. Very, very satisfied. Also, battery life is incredible. Spent the last 30 minutes doing heavy downloading and watching videos and I'm at 97%

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it's mainly that the review sites, in particular AnandTech, are getting very sophisticated with their reviews. And sometimes that is going to reveal that Apple cut a corner to make a price point. But that's life.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I'm getting my wife an Ipad mini for Christmas to replace her Ipad 2. She like the size of the device but I've got a few questions in regards to mini vs retina mini.

Is the retina mini noticeably faster? She mainly surfs the net and plays games on it

Any known issue with the retina mini? Besides the color gamut thing that she wouldn't notice anyways.

Would you get a mini or the retina mini?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Retina Mini is dramatically faster. The old mini is literally an iPad 2 in a smaller package in terms of hardware. It is not worth it unless it is literally the only iPad you can afford, IMO.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Get the Mini Retina it's your wife.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I was playing Sky Gamblers Cold War on my retina mini, and the game is constantly dropping frames. This is not me being anal either, literally the game slowing down at times as if I was on the original mini. Is anyone else getting kind of wonky game performance from their retina mini?

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

eric posted:

Get the Mini Retina it's your wife.

That's what I was going to do but she keeps telling me to get her the mini as she couldn't tell the difference between the 2 displays without her glasses. She usually doesn't wear her glasses while using the Ipad 2 currently.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
The only place I have noticed a difference in speed between the two is in watching animated gifs.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

ShadowStalker posted:

That's what I was going to do but she keeps telling me to get her the mini as she couldn't tell the difference between the 2 displays without her glasses. She usually doesn't wear her glasses while using the Ipad 2 currently.

It's not just the display. The retina mini is around 5x faster than the mini. You'll be able to hold onto it for much longer than the mini before apps and the OS start to outpace it. You can't say the same about the mini.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also it's probably not much of a stretch to assume the original mini wont see iOS8.

E: oops, I should read more closely.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

†he main performance gain I see with the retina mini is how fast games load. It's pretty awesome. Take a game like GTR Racing 2 which is gorgeous. The race loads in like 3 seconds.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

I was playing Sky Gamblers Cold War on my retina mini, and the game is constantly dropping frames. This is not me being anal either, literally the game slowing down at times as if I was on the original mini. Is anyone else getting kind of wonky game performance from their retina mini?

If it's like this Skateboard game I had they might just lump the retina mini into the mini category and it doesn't take advantage of new speeds

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I got my Retina Mini I ordered at midnight on the 12th in yesterday. I also got my switch easy canvas for the mini. The switch easy is nice, but there's a couple of things different about it than the canvas I had with my iPad 3rd gen.

For one, instead of the velcro, it has a snap in plastic part of the back case that holds that part shut. It's not as easy to switch it into stand mode now, so that's annoying to me. The other thing is, it doesn't seem to want to stay closed. I'm hoping that this is because the hinge needs to wear some and get more flexible. It's frustrating to set it on your desk and have it not shut (and therefore not go to sleep immediately).

As for the mini itself, it's awesome and everything I've wanted in an iPad (minus touch ID).

I haven't tested mine for image retention. I'll probably do that eventually and if it has it, I'll probably take in it and get it swapped.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

echobucket posted:

I got my Retina Mini I ordered at midnight on the 12th in yesterday. I also got my switch easy canvas for the mini. The switch easy is nice, but there's a couple of things different about it than the canvas I had with my iPad 3rd gen.

For one, instead of the velcro, it has a snap in plastic part of the back case that holds that part shut. It's not as easy to switch it into stand mode now, so that's annoying to me. The other thing is, it doesn't seem to want to stay closed. I'm hoping that this is because the hinge needs to wear some and get more flexible. It's frustrating to set it on your desk and have it not shut (and therefore not go to sleep immediately).

As for the mini itself, it's awesome and everything I've wanted in an iPad (minus touch ID).

I haven't tested mine for image retention. I'll probably do that eventually and if it has it, I'll probably take in it and get it swapped.

I just took the mini out of the case and holy crap is it easier to hold in one hand naked. *sigh* Now I'm thinking of sending the canvas back. Anyone have any experience with super thin cases that don't add much weight?

I also just noticed, the Retina Mini has an extra microphone. And the canvas doesn't have a cutout for it. I'm thinking there are many many cases that are missing this cutout.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 20, 2013

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

echobucket posted:

I also just noticed, the Retina Mini has an extra microphone. And the canvas doesn't have a cutout for it. I'm thinking there are many many cases that are missing this cutout.

I'm guessing the vast majority of rMini cases are just mini cases with new packaging and that the lack of microphone slot and the inability to close (because the rMini is a tiny bit thicker) are evidence of this in your case.

My wife and I picked up our rMinis from an apple store last week. Didn't want to post an instant response but I've had the week to try it now.

Mostly it is amazing for bedtime reading, small and light. The screen may not show the full sRGB but I can't tell (besides I have a 17 inch MBP for Photoshop where it actually matters). I haven't checked for retention and if I can't notice it without running a specific test it doesn't matter. Still waiting to pick up a Smart Cover and get a soft case for it too.

Biggest problem with it is my dog likes to try and sit on it while I read from it in the typical 'look at meeeee' dog way

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The new smart cases from Apple are overpriced as usual, but they have the cutout for the new mic and are pretty much perfect in terms of slim/light. I'm keeping an eye out for a Black Friday deal on those personally.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I've heard people bitching about the new Smart Covers. What's the problem with them?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
For the iPad Air, I picked up this Belkin case. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Shield-Sheer-Matte-Cover/dp/B00FSB5UB0/
It's a simple back cover and I use an Apple smart cover on the front. The combo protects it all around and adds very little bulk or weight. They make one for the Mini as well so check into it if you just want simple protection.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Crackbone posted:

I've heard people bitching about the new Smart Covers. What's the problem with them?

They went from 4 panels down to 3 and people hate change.

I have one and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Crackbone posted:

Overpriced. Not very sturdy. Doesn't lay flat. Etc. I returned mine.