Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

roomforthetuna posted:

I doubt it. Average (full size) fridge consumes less than 2kWh per day. A car charging on 120V can consume 1.5kWh per hour (on a 15A circuit breaker).

This works out to 18 cents per hour for the electric car assuming average prices for electricity distribution (12c/kWh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Michael Scott posted:

This works out to 18 cents per hour for the electric car assuming average prices for electricity distribution (12c/kWh).

In my state, it's 8 cents per kilowatt hour. "Whoohoo" Please ignore all the chargers that charge 49 cents per kW.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

withak posted:

I think it is possible that the Juneau Economic Development Council's Electric Vehicle Working Group is not a good sample to use in gauging interest in EV adoption.

I would agree, but thus far this is a very large percentage of all new vehicles in town. Remember that we're all of 35,000 people on a good day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's pretty neat that there is a big push in Alaska, a place I wouldn't imagine it to be. To be fair though Juneau weather isn't really the barren white north that most people imagine when they think of Alaska, is it? Cold is bad for the batteries, right?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

CharlesM posted:

Cold is bad for the batteries, right?

It's bad for batteries, but cold is pretty bad for cars in general.

People in cold climates usually plug their cars in at night anyway (block heaters), so I'm really not surprised there's such a high take up in Juneau.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Michael Scott posted:

Right, it's cheap as chips, but it's still not cheaper than a fridge.
And to be on the side of the "we don't buy everyone else's gas" argument, that's nearly a couple of bucks a day, which still sounds cheap, but would you take a $500 pay cut per year for the option to plug your car in at work?

(To be fair it shouldn't really be quite that much since paying $500 costs more due to payroll taxes, but still, the point is it's not nothing.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Throw on a meter and an ID-card swipe or PIN access so they can deduct the real amount from my paycheck.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Or stick an ad on the car saying free charging when you work for Mediocre Business Inc. buy our stuff hippies.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe plug in a Kill a Watt meter to show how it literally costs nothing to charge and that you'll be happy to kick in for what you consume anyways?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Maybe plug in a Kill a Watt meter to show how it literally costs nothing to charge and that you'll be happy to kick in for what you consume anyways?

Depending on the size of the bureaucracy, it wouldn't matter if he showed that plugging that EV in had a direct correlation to the adoption rate of kittens and puppies at your local animal shelter - a rule is a rule (this is coming from a bitter corporate blowhard).

That said, I've seen about three different Tesla Model S's cruising around the Pittsburgh area over the last few weeks - I wish I could flag down an owner and ask them how the hills affect their range. I'm seriously considering a (much cheaper) electric when I return home to Western PA, but I'm a bit worried that our infamous long, climbing highways will suck a smaller battery pack dry.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

primitive posted:

It's bad for batteries, but cold is pretty bad for cars in general.

People in cold climates usually plug their cars in at night anyway (block heaters), so I'm really not surprised there's such a high take up in Juneau.

On the Leaf forums somebody put together a spreadsheet of cities/climates and how they would affect a lithium-ion battery. Juneau, Alaska came out as having the most amenable climate on Earth.

Almost nobody here (except my tenant, who doe not pay his own electricity :mad: ) uses a block heater. It's not really cold enough to make all that much difference for most vehicles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I looked on Wikipedia and your climate isn't that cold. Looks like you have very modest summers too which is nice.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I looked on Wikipedia and your climate isn't that cold. Looks like you have very modest summers too which is nice.

People don't realize how big Alaska is; our southernmost point is at the same latitude as Newcastle upon Tyne and our northernmost point is the same latitude as some of the most remote "cities" in Russia and Norway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I know, I'm being a bit silly, but it's still a bit warmer than I expected. I guess it has to do with ocean currents. My brother's stupid ex lived in Ketchikan and talked about it like it was living in the wilderness or something. Most people imagine everyone in pickup trucks or igloos or something.

Going more off topic but I find Alaska fascinating in the aspect it's this huge state that you could spend your whole life exploring.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

My custom plates arrived!

Apologies to whoever I stole that joke from.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Latest Model S software push disables the auto-squat feature of the air suspension at speed, presumably a response to the battery fire accidents.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

duz posted:

My custom plates arrived!

Apologies to whoever I stole that joke from.

I'm kinda surprised you were able to get that plate in Texas before anyone else, it being so huge and populous.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Madurai posted:

Latest Model S software push disables the auto-squat feature of the air suspension at speed, presumably a response to the battery fire accidents.

Hmm, I wonder how that affects range. I'll have to see if I notice a difference, just got the update last night.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I'm kinda surprised you were able to get that plate in Texas before anyone else, it being so huge and populous.

Yeah, I'd been checking the site regularly for the past year until I was comfortable paying the insane fee Texas charges. Really glad no one took it since I didn't have a backup joke plate.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Besides Tesla, are there any EV's that have actual reasonable commute range?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Madurai posted:

Okay, that pisses me off. They better bring it back. Is there still a way to lower the car in cruise?

Edit: Apparently it's a unit conversion error. It goes into low mode at 100km/h, and 96.5mph. :science:

Edit 2: glad I park my car underground with no mobilephone reception, if I am lucky I'll get to skip the buggy update entirely. I'd rather get taken out by a trailer hitch than have to charge more frequently.

Powercube fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

Depends on where you live. CA/OR has their EV requirement and much great variety of EVs. Many get up beyond 80 miles.

Outside of CA and OR it's pretty much the Leaf (or Focus EV but it's way more than a Leaf). Well, the Volt too because you can gas it up too but cost is a major factor in it too.

Different question: Assume battery technology is instantly improved to allow for EV prices to be equivalent to their gas counterparts (they all have 250+ mile ranges): what differentiates EVs from each other? Are electric motors that different from each other in the same way ICEs can be? (the transmission probably plays more of a role here since their so linked in ICE vehicles but much less so in EVs)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Transmission? Who said anything about a transmission?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I worded that weird.

EVs have relatively simple motors. They only have 1 speed transmissions so the "feel" of the car will be solely determined by the power of the electric motor itself. Would the sole differentiating factor in an EV marketplace be the strength of the electric motors?

Obviously, style and options add (or subtract) value from different models. However, when cross-shopping a Corolla with a Civic, how those ICE engines and transmissions interact with each other is a major consideration when shopping for a vehicle. Does a major shift to EVs reduce that consideration only to the strength of the electric motors?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Thwomp posted:

I worded that weird.

EVs have relatively simple motors. They only have 1 speed transmissions so the "feel" of the car will be solely determined by the power of the electric motor itself. Would the sole differentiating factor in an EV marketplace be the strength of the electric motors?

Obviously, style and options add (or subtract) value from different models. However, when cross-shopping a Corolla with a Civic, how those ICE engines and transmissions interact with each other is a major consideration when shopping for a vehicle. Does a major shift to EVs reduce that consideration only to the strength of the electric motors?

Zero maintenance is a pretty big selling point.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Not all EVs have 1 speed transmissions.

And then there's the specifics of engine programming and things like power delivery, which will be influenced by how the batteries work and are regulated, as well as their maintenance schedules and how they're recharged.

On top of that there's all the other car stuff like packaging and layouts, suspension, etc.

Also, there's no way an electric car will ever be "zero maintenance," that's just nonsense. Especially since the increased reliance on custom software and unusual hardware means it's easier to try and lock people into expensive dealer-only maintenance, which is where a lot of them make their money in the first place.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 18, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, there's no way an electric car will ever be "zero maintenance," that's just nonsense. Especially since the increased reliance on custom software and hardware means it's easier to lock people into expensive dealer maintenance, which is where a lot of them make their money in the first place.

Right, my owners manual says I have to have the brakes checked every year or so.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

duz posted:

Right, my owners manual says I have to have the brakes checked every year or so.

Also brakes last like 10x longer thanks to regenerative braking!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thwomp posted:

I worded that weird.

If you asked 90% of drivers "Did the feel of the engine/transmission package have any bearing on your purchasing decision," half would say "LOL I BOUGHT THE GREEN ONE," and the other half would say "no, but I got it for $195 a month!" 128 month financing at 19% APR.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

keykey posted:

Average American commute is, what, 35 minutes? Even assuming most of that is highway a Leaf would do the round-trip fine. How far do you drive?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

keykey posted:

If you need a Tesla's range to commute, your drive does not fall under the "reasonable" category.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Nevermind.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

quote:

Turn off climate control for +14 miles.

You shut your whore mouth, it is 4 degrees above zero outside and I am NOT turning off the heater!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Take a page out of motorcyclist book. Get your self a heated jacket or vest that has its own batter. :v:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Driving in a car without heat for a few minutes is really not a big deal if you wear appropriate clothing and some nice leather driving gloves. Your body heat can keep you completely comfortable. As a guy from the midwest (though not especially cold compared to some of your locales), you all sound like you have some anemic winter clothing. Sure a thick down coat is annoying to drive with but you're only commuting after all.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

OR, I can leave the heater on, wear lighter clothing, and not care about the extra $0.14 in electricity. I like that plan.

I have full winter gear in the car. I would rather not use it for commuting. I did not just pay $32,000 to skip using the heater when I have plenty of range remaining.

I want to emphasize that. I have plenty of range for my needs. I just think it's funny that it suggests such things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

I want to emphasize that. I have plenty of range for my needs. I just think it's funny that it suggests such things.

Ohhh that's what you were getting at. I gotcha now. In that case you tell that busybody to mind its business.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Blooot posted:

If you need a Tesla's range to commute, your drive does not fall under the "reasonable" category.

I think you see statements like this because people with longer commutes have a lot to gain from an EV and the range is frustrating at the moment. Mine is 65 miles and 2.5 hours round trip (or $200/mo). It seems like even under a worst case scenario, I could make it in a leaf, but would be cutting it far too close for comfort. I'm sure the next generation of these cars will see a 50% bump in range which will make them workable for everyone but the crazy people who drive 100+ miles a day.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There's a decent number of people who spend their days driving around, too, who could definitely benefit from an EV but can't say for certain what their milage will be on a given day so it's tough to make the switch right now. See, my commute to work is usually just to our central lab which is only 5 miles (I usually bike it actually.) But if I end up having to go out to the field station on a moment's notice, that's another 80 miles round trip. And maybe I want to go skiing after work, or go hit the mountain bike trail in the morning before I head to the lab. Suddenly I'm looking at 150+ miles a day, and I don't want to give up that freedom (or buy a tesla because I'm not made of money.)

When the average EV can accommodate my needs, it will be grand indeed, but I feel that is still 5-10 years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

gently caress if only I could get my effort post out of old thread. Did it get gassed or archived?

• Locked thread