Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Is Assault Vest worth a try on Garchomp? I'm thinking:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

I didn't see a point in running Outrage since it's too unwieldy with Fairies around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

korusan posted:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

I didn't see a point in running Outrage since it's too unwieldy with Fairies around.

Apparently Outrage gets cancelled when a fairy is switched in and cancels the move, plus you don't get confused. I think this was said earlier in the thread, maybe someone can confirm this?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

korusan posted:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Ran it through smogon's damage calculator against a Life Orb Starmie (slightly weaker than a Scarfed Protean Greninja) and an Ice Beam is still an ohko against 309 SpD (206 on that EV spread* 1.5) about 3/4 the time. You're probably better off using Yache Berry if you're scared of Ice Beam.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

korusan posted:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

I don't know if you're set on using Garchomp, but for my Dragon slot I'm using Dragonite and he is devastating.

Dragonite@Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Adamant
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Outrage
Dragon Dance

The idea is to Dragon Dance on the first turn, this will boost the speed up pretty high. Multiscale provides protection so you don't get 1hko'd. Weakness policy gives you +2, when combined with DDance, +3 Earthquake pretty much kills everything.

It does die to STAB Ice Beam, but it survives most things.

And yes, Outrage does fail when it tries to hit a fairy and you don't get confused. But it's still a missed command.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You'd be better off Putting those points into SpD or at least splitting them just for that reason.

+2 Talonflame Life Orb Brave Bird deals 52% minimum to 252/0+ Rotom-W. It's really easy to wear down over the course of the game if you don't invest in defense, especially with U-Turn.

Also, you need 100 EVs at level 50 to get a guaranteed OHKO on Gliscor, since Hydro Pump got nerfed. It's not really worth investing in Special Attack on Defensive Rotom sets anymore.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Solartide posted:

And yes, Outrage does fail when it tries to hit a fairy and you don't get confused. But it's still a missed command.

Only if it's the first hit of outrage, or the second if it was going to be 3 turns. Otherwise the confusion still kicks in.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'll probably choose Yache Berry then. I'm not really fond of locking moves in general though, since I find having complete control over what I can use for two turns plus no risk of self harm to be a far better asset than slightly more muscle.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

korusan posted:

I'll probably choose Yache Berry then. I'm not really fond of locking moves in general though, since I find having complete control over what I can use for two turns plus no risk of self harm to be a far better asset than slightly more muscle.

What will you be using it for? For Battle Spot I would still very highly recommend Outrage.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fallord posted:

What will you be using it for? For Battle Spot I would still very highly recommend Outrage.

Yeah, in general against players you want as much muscle as possible to bust walls and stuff, against Maison I'd recommend against high-risk moves since consistency is key there.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I think the shinies in friend safaris thing is anecdotal bullshit. I've probably spent a total of ten hours wandering around in the grass there and found one shiny, which is about on-par for my rate of finding them anywhere else in the game.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

LAY-ZX posted:

I think the shinies in friend safaris thing is anecdotal bullshit. I've probably spent a total of ten hours wandering around in the grass there and found one shiny, which is about on-par for my rate of finding them anywhere else in the game.

I spent the entire day yesterday just to find a Snubbull then just now within 30 minutes of each other I found a Xatu and a second Drowsee. I've found over 30 shinies over the span of 10 days. I have NO idea what the rates are but i'm fairly certain they are increased but it IS still luck based.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I looked up a list of available clothing items, and was disappointed to find there are no purple boys' sneakers. I don't even know why I'm playing this game anymore.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

I've been playing these games since Crystal came out, and the first (random) shiny I've ever encountered was a friend safari Meditite about a week ago.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Allright, I'm thinking the following 6 pokemon stable would be solid for the current online ranked format. I think my former issues would be resolved with this.

Intimidate Mawile (w/ Mawilite)
Play rough
Iron head
Sucker punch
Swords dance

Huge power Azumarill (w/life orb)
Aqua jet
Play rough
Superpower
Belly Drum

Technician Breloom (w/ Expert Belt)
Spore
Bullet seed
Mach Punch
Rock Tomb

Heatproof Bronzong (w/Light clay)
Gyroball
Earthquake
Light screen
Reflect

Rotom-W (w/Leftovers)
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse/Thunder wave/Thunderbolt
Volt Switch

Technician Scizor (w/Flying Gem)
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
U-turn
Acrobatics

Any notable issues that you can see?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Emalde posted:

Why would anybody find this offensive? If they have a single gimmick for their team and built their team so poorly as to not have any sort of Plan B should it fail, it's less annoying for them to forfeit when it doesn't work than them wasting another 2 minutes of our lives making a futile attempt with the rest of their cobbled-together team.

It is still kind of annoying when they don't get Sticky Web or Speed Boost off and then just quit because they can't pass 3x attack and 2x speed to Aegislash.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

LAY-ZX posted:

Possibly, though I did just find my first shiny of Gen VI (a Mawile) earlier today after 20 minutes of biking around a Safari.

Probably another "anecdotal evidence" thing, but we're sure Synchronizers only work from the front of the party, right? I was riding around with two Synchronizers, an Adamant in the front of my party and a Modest at the back, and the shiny Mawile I caught ended up being Modest. Odd that out of all the available Natures it would end up being the same as the only other Synchronizer I had with me, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

The Wild Man of YOLO fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 18, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Talmonis posted:

Allright, I'm thinking the following 6 pokemon stable would be solid for the current online ranked format. I think my former issues would be resolved with this.

etc

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
U-turn
Acrobatics

Any notable issues that you can see?

Flying Gem doesn't exist in Gen VI yet, and it's nerfed, I think Pursuit would be better on that set. I think the lack of special attackers could be a problem and I don't think Scizor gives you much in addition to Mawile and Azumarill - maybe replace Scizor with a Greninja or Scarf Chandelure?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
So I just started a nuzlocke of X, but I already used the only starter that I like, Greninja, when I played Y. Someone convince why I shouldn't just wonder trade this Chespin immediately. Also, why the gently caress does Scatterbug even have an ability that isn't Compoundeyes, come on.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I have caught 5 shinies in the safari today. One more and I'm going to figure out how to make these six pretty Pokèmon into a rotation team for the goon tournament.

My hypothesis is that it works like the fishing chain - resets when you leave, catch a pokemon, or find a shiny.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Zoness posted:

Flying Gem doesn't exist in Gen VI yet, and it's nerfed, I think Pursuit would be better on that set. I think the lack of special attackers could be a problem and I don't think Scizor gives you much in addition to Mawile and Azumarill - maybe replace Scizor with a Greninja or Scarf Chandelure?

Good point. How about protect/disable Gengar, for dealing with Mega Khangashkhan? As much as I like Greninja, he seems like he's made of glass, and I have no experience with Chandelure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I have caught 5 shinies in the safari today. One more and I'm going to figure out how to make these six pretty Pokèmon into a rotation team for the goon tournament.

My hypothesis is that it works like the fishing chain - resets when you leave, catch a pokemon, or find a shiny.

I'm pretty sure the fishing chain doesn't reset when you catch something. I did a 100-something chain while catching a couple of rare pokemon here and there, and the guy in the fishing hut commented on me managing a 100+ chain afterwards.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Fallord posted:

Only if it's the first hit of outrage, or the second if it was going to be 3 turns. Otherwise the confusion still kicks in.

At least on Showdown, it just goes right through the whole thing and won't cancel.

EDIT: The best new thing of gen 6 OU on Showdown is getting to explain why Bug Buzz KO'd their substitute Espeon :allears:

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Took me a whole day to find. I'm not sure about that shiny rate rumor.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Classtoise posted:

At least on Showdown, it just goes right through the whole thing and won't cancel.

EDIT: The best new thing of gen 6 OU on Showdown is getting to explain why Bug Buzz KO'd their substitute Espeon :allears:

doesn't bug buzz count as a sound move?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cancerianmoth posted:

It does but Showdown's programmer Zarel is both lazy and bad at checking boxes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cancerianmoth posted:

Yeah, it goes through substitute.

It's not a really particularly well documented change to Substitute and IIRC substitute as a move doesn't really mention it in the simple text.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Does Technician boost Pursuit when the enemy is switching out?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Talmonis posted:

Gyroball
Earthquake
Light screen
Reflect

I'm not seeing anything this Bronzong is doing that couldn't be done better by another pokemon. Bronzong really sucks as a wall now that he has two new weaknesses. Something faster putting up your screens would probably be better.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 18, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

horriblePencilist posted:

No, the base power is doubled to 80 when the enemy is switched out, so Technician no longer applies to it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Is there any way to get a Sniper Beedrill in this gen? Now that scope lens + focus energy gives 100% crit rate, I want to play around with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

It does not.

smogon posted:

If the user of Pursuit has Technician, the move's power is boosted if the opponent does not switch, but if it does switch, its power is no longer boosted.

e;fb

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Talmonis posted:

Huge power Azumarill (w/life orb)
Aqua jet
Play rough
Superpower
Belly Drum

Rotom-W (w/Leftovers)
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse/Thunder wave/Thunderbolt
Volt Switch

I don't know about Life Orb on Azumarill, especially if you're running a Belly Drum set. I like Leftovers on him, but I see you're running it on Rotom-W. I'd either:

a) move Leftovers onto Azumarill and run Rotom-W as a Chesto Rest set with Hydro Pump/Volt Switch/Will-O-Wisp/Rest

b) give Azumarill a Sitrus Berry

Talmonis posted:

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
U-turn
Acrobatics

Already covered, but Pursuit/Brick Break over Acrobatics. The Life Orb you take off of Azumarill can go here.

Talmonis posted:

Gyroball
Earthquake
Light screen
Reflect

If you're set on dual screens, consider Espeon:

Espeon @ Light Clay
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Baton Pass

Baton Pass is for Pursuit.

Immer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2013

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Took me a whole day to find. I'm not sure about that shiny rate rumor.

It's still only a 1 in 4096 chance, so it's still very unlikely.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the advice folks.

As for Espeon, is there a good way to convince things not to set up in its face?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pyroi posted:

It's still only a 1 in 4096 chance, so it's still very unlikely.

The rumor being that the Friend Safari has a higher rate than normal.

Talmonis posted:

As for Espeon, is there a good way to convince things not to set up in its face?

Don't leave it out against things that are going to set up in its face.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
So I've been training an Archeops/Carracosta double battle combo (Gen 5 are my favorite fossil duo :3:) and each of them learned Quick Guard/Wide Guard, which protect against priority/spread moves respectively. I went on Bulbapedia to see if those have priority (they do :toot:), and apparently they don't fail consecutively like with Protect this generation :stare:

Bulbapedia posted:

Quick Guard will now block moves given an increased priority through Prankster and Gale Wings. Quick Guard can also now be used consecutively without failing.

Bulbapedia posted:

Wide Guard no longer has a diminishing chance of success when used consecutively.

Both moves don't exactly have a wide distribution (it's mostly fighting and legendary types) but the few pokemon which can learn them are surprising (like Escalivier learning Quick Guard, Alomomola learning Wide Guard, and Mr. Mime learning both)! Not sure how useful they are competitively but might help with shutting down Klefkis and Talonflames.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Desperate Character posted:

So I've been training an Archeops/Carracosta double battle combo (Gen 5 are my favorite fossil duo :3:)

Hi5, good taste buddy. :3:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Talmonis posted:

Thanks for the advice folks.

Espeon gets yawn. But you are probably better off just using a different pokemon.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I don't get it. Why does Smogon recommend Return over Double hit for Ambipom? With Technician, Double Hit has a total base power of 105, and it can break Focus Sashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If I had to guess it would be because Double Hit has 90% accuracy.

• Locked thread