Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

monster on a stick posted:

Is this game any good?

I swear Jade Empire is going to be last.

Gameplay-wise, it's kinda 3D Zeldalike with upgrades instead of tools. Story-wise, your vampire dad kills you, so you make a deal with an elder god to get back at him. I really enjoyed it when it came out.

I'd go for it if I didn't already own it on steam and on CD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Is this game any good?

I swear Jade Empire is going to be last.

No Jade Empire will be second to last. With Witcher 2 being the last game. Both of these games being on my must have list. :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^ Witcher 2 is on sale a lot though, and I'm pretty sure GOG gives you a free DRM-free backup copy if you end up getting a Steam key.

The most frustrating thing about Legacy of Kain is that, when I left my house, there were ~70 copies of Puddle up and they weren't moving. As I pull into the parking lot, Pandora is playing the intro music from DX:HR and my phone says there are 5 copies left. Rush to my office, get out the credit card for something I want - and it's 750 units of LoK. I dunno, maybe it's a great game, but it's moving slow now.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PFlats posted:

Gameplay-wise, it's kinda 3D Zeldalike with upgrades instead of tools. Story-wise, your vampire dad kills you, so you make a deal with an elder god to get back at him. I really enjoyed it when it came out.

It's sad that the LoK series story seemed to be going some interesting places, but a mixture of staff changes at Crystal Dynamics (Amy Hennig moved to Naughty Dog) and publisher wrangling meant that it kinda spun out and never recovered. A new LoK game that was apparently quite heavily into development got canned not long ago, only to be replaced by a pseudo-MOBA spinoff.

Bummer.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm up so I don't need anyone to grab me Jade Empire anymore.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Is there an extra copy of NWN Diamond I could buy off someone? I think the kind fellow I asked to pick it up for me eventually had to go to sleep.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Xotl posted:

Thanks anyways Scotty_Vicks.

Cool beans

Stanley Tweedle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 18, 2013

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Sorry - scratch that: he came through after all.

Thanks anyways Scotty_Vicks.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
:siren: Witcher 2 is up :siren: $4.99, 900 copies.

Someone in the thread wanted it, who is going to volunteer to buy it?

Tombstone Monarch
Dec 21, 2006

Here comes the pay!
Witcher 2, 900 copies available now.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

:siren: Witcher 2 is up :siren: $4.99, 900 copies.

Someone in the thread wanted it, who is going to volunteer to buy it?

I got it myself thank you all.

Now I just need Jade Empire.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Aratoeldar posted:

I got it myself thank you all.

Now I just need Jade Empire.

If the thread reflects general GOG users in any way, Jade Empire is going to bring down the site.

Hmmm, Witcher 2 is moving slower than I expected, but I think that's because everyone on GOG probably has a copy by now, and it's been $5 before so it's not all that great a deal. (I'm ashamed to admit that I own a copy and still haven't played it, though I'm close to nulling Max Payne 3 and picking up TW2 instead.)

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Dang, I work graveyard and need to sleep now. If Jade Empire pops up I'd be super grateful if someone could nab a copy for me. I can paypal you back in 7-8 hours :)

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Witcher seems to be moving slow enough, but if Thief 2 or HoM 3 comes up in the next hour and a half, I'll gladly pay the goon that nabs a copy for me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Steam's week long deals are starting to appear, but Jade Empire is part of the batch this week for $3.75. So in case you miss the last chance offer when it comes up in a bit then there is another chance to get it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^^^ 75 cents is worth not having to watch the GOG page and cross your fingers, honestly. Is there any difference between Steam and GOG versions besides DRM?

Cognition: an Erica Reed Thriller is up. $10, 200 copies. Looks like a nice point-and-click.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Next one's going to take a while, some indie 3d point and click for 10 bucks called cognition.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
Picked up Cognition. Looks like we are down to the following:

Expeditions: Conquistador $4.99
Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Ed $2.49
Psychonauts $2.49
Spellforce Platinum $2.49
Sword of the Stars: The Pit $2.09
Thief 2: Metal Age $1.99

Psychonauts is still part of the weekend Gog deal for a little bit more, and Jade Empire is on Steam for a little bit more.
/e: removed Brutal Legend (and it's umlaut), King of Dragon Pass, Duke Nukem 3D, Jade Empire, Thief Gold.

OrganicAnkleSocks fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 18, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey that's an Erica Reed thriller. Don't you know what that means?

'cause I sure don't.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think Erica Reed is the star. Or is she the author? I don't know. Now if it was an Erica Kane thriller, that'd be something.

This is the highest-priced item left, and after that I'd think the only thing that will slow it down is Expeditions: Conquistador (which really isn't that bad but had so many bugs on release it doesn't have a good reputation). Don't know about Spellforce:Platinum but the rest of it looks pretty decent. So unless they put up 1500 copies of everything, it should end by tonight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey that's an Erica Reed thriller. Don't you know what that means?

'cause I sure don't.

It means, we want a franchise.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kangra posted:

I think Erica Reed is the star. Or is she the author? I don't know. Now if it was an Erica Kane thriller, that'd be something.

This is the highest-priced item left, and after that I'd think the only thing that will slow it down is Expeditions: Conquistador (which really isn't that bad but had so many bugs on release it doesn't have a good reputation). Don't know about Spellforce:Platinum but the rest of it looks pretty decent. So unless they put up 1500 copies of everything, it should end by tonight.

Eh, maybe. Both Brutal Legend and Psychonauts have been in a bunch of bundles, so I could see them taking a few hours each to clear out if there are enough copies.

Cognition is almost half done. I have to say, I dig the art style - watch the trailer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OrganicAnkleSocks posted:

Thief 2: Metal Age $1.99

Awesome. Spent last night playing The Dark Mod and decided I'll be giving the actual thief games a go, was worried I missed that. Hopefully I can just power through the stupid zombie filled mine in Thief 1 that killed my interest the first time I tried it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Okay, I stand corrected. Erica Reed can sell a game, apparently.

edit:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It means, we want a franchise.
This almost never works though. The only way you can get away with putting a character name in the title is if it's an established franchise. See Lara Croft, Jack Ryan.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 18, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't know why. I got the first couple episodes in a bundle and it's REALLY mediocre.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That was very fast for a $10 game.

450 copies of Brutal Legend at $3.74 a pop. There's a great LP of this going on right now if you are on the fence.

(EDIT: note that the official soundtrack doesn't appear to be included, and the GOG version doesn't support multiplayer.)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

^^^^^
No soundtrack? That's a shame.

GoG can't put the mëtal umlauts (should be diereses, I know, but ümläut sounds better) on it either?

This looks like something I'll probably end up liking. For some reason I thought it was a rhythm game.

I can put it in the backlog and watch a bit of the LP to get a feel for it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kangra posted:

^^^^^

GoG can't put the mëtal umlauts (should be diereses, I know, but ümläut sounds better) on it either?

This looks like something I'll probably end up liking. For some reason I thought it was a rhythm game.

If they had the soundtrack it would just be the background music, not the licensed songs. This is the case on the Steam version where it has the soundtrack, but not the 90 licensed music.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kangra posted:

^^^^^

To be fair the soundtrack was mostly music especially composed for the game, as getting the rights to all 100+ pieces of music (by 75 bands) would have been a bit unwieldy.

If you like heavy metal and/or Double Fine games, you should probably get it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't know why. I got the first couple episodes in a bundle and it's REALLY mediocre.

It's also front-loaded for content. The last two episodes also really reveal the low budget they had to work with. They used kickstarter way back in 2011 and got $34,000, they probably found other funds but that's still pretty low for how the end product turned out. 90% of episode 3 takes place in a just a few screens while episode 4 takes about an hour at most to finish. There's also a lesbian kiss between the protagonist and the antagonist left in during one of the motion comic cutscenes in the final episode because they wanted to create a "deeper" relationship between the two but had to cut it but left that scene in anyways because...?

Anyways, the deal is over but its still a okay adventure game. Mediocre, like you said, but I'd say it has enough in it to be worth a look for someone who likes point and clicks.

Also, Brutal Legend, remember that the multiplayer is done over Steam. The GOG version doesn't have multiplayer.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Grabbed a copy. I probably have at least some of the songs already -- that's an impressive amount of bands, too.

Given that it has Jack Black and is described as a driving game, does Heat Vision make an appearance?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kangra posted:

Grabbed a copy. I probably have at least some of the songs already -- that's an impressive amount of bands, too.

Given that it has Jack Black and is described as a driving game, does Heat Vision make an appearance?

No, though you can melt the faces of your enemies using the power of Metal.

Also it's primarily an RTS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Litany Unheard posted:

No, though you can melt the faces of your enemies using the power of Metal.

Also it's primarily an RTS.

Not really. Singleplayer is at least 80% walking/driving and third person combat (even more-so if you like exploring and finding collectibles). Multiplayer is purely RTS though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kangra posted:

It's not really a "Driving" driving game, you do drive a bitchin' hot rod around the game world but that's really just to listen to the music while looking at the landscapes, get to the next mission, or find collectibles.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

King of Dragon Pass is up, 1200 copies

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The description of this game makes it sound at once odd and interesting. Can anyone give a quick run-down?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xotl posted:

The description of this game makes it sound at once odd and interesting. Can anyone give a quick run-down?

From what I gather it a mixture of Civilization and Choose Your Adventure games. It actually has a thread in games that still active if you want to see more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3436379

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
CYOA+Crusader Kings II/Civ combined with a fairly in depth amount of lore.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Xotl posted:

You are the leader of a bronze age tribe and your task is to gather as many cows as possible for your tribe.

I'm not joking, cows are essentially the currency of the KODP economy. It's a sort of CYOA type of strategy game where you run a bronze age tribe and if you don't get into the bronze age mindset you're going to be hosed over repeatedly. It's very deep and it has a really interesting world.

Gameplay consists of a strategy view of your village and being prompted for various decisions as time passes, sending out raids and expeditions if you so wish, improving your village, etc.

Basically buy it. Note though that iOS has an improved version that is probably never coming to the PC, so if you have an iPad, look into getting it there instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

It's not really a "Driving" driving game, you do drive a bitchin' hot rod around the game world but that's really just to listen to the music while looking at the landscapes, get to the next mission, or find collectibles.

The landscape is all inspired by covers to albums too - really the art in the game is worth the price of admission.

The list of songs/bands is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend#Soundtrack and it's downright absurd. Plus there are roles played by Ozzie Osborne, Lemmy, and Rob Halford.