Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

UR MR GAY posted:

Oh drat, what the gently caress happened to the AV Club? This layout is abysmal.

Where am I suppose to read my TV reviews now?

Haha, this is really, truly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The X-Files was a spectacular show and one of the best mystery shows ever made in my opinion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't understand the rage for web designs that take up more space and show me less content.

e: no, wait, I totally get it, all the freaking whitespace is in there so they can shovel ads into it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lycus posted:

The first time I remember X-Files getting a huge amount of attention was the Season 2 finale and the Season 3 premiere, I think those were the episodes with the old Navajo guy. It was pretty big deal for a few seasons after that.

My friends and I had a big viewing party for the season two premier. Might have been two dozen of us watching it together.

Goddamn that's a terrible layout for AV Club. It's like they said, "We're providing too much information. We need to cut this way back."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a rumor going around that AMC has ordered a Preacher pilot and that Seth Rogan may be involved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Random Stranger posted:

Goddamn that's a terrible layout for AV Club. It's like they said, "We're providing too much information. We need to cut this way back."

Thing is, I don't hate it for precisely that reason. I don't tend to visit AVC very often, but I find newspaper style sites have way way way too much data on the front page that you never really know where to start. New AVC I can quickly glance over in a few seconds and know everything new that's been put up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

That seriously does look like poo poo, I have to wonder who decided they needed to change the perfectly good looking and serviceable design they had.
It seems like web design trends are going 90's HTML1 retro. Really, look up a old site on the Wayback Machine and see the similarities.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It works ok on tablets. And it works really well in the mobile phone version.

That's how I read the web nowadays so I think it's a good change.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the hell do you find reviews of old shows? Old AV Club had a thing right at the top under "All Shows".

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

How the hell do you find reviews of old shows? Old AV Club had a thing right at the top under "All Shows".

I'm uh kind of lost too. I don't see a way to browse their archive of shows without knowing what you want to search for.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lada Gaga's got a pretty good sense of humor and perspective about herself, watching some of the sketches from SNL this week. That "Old Lady Gaga" sketch was both depressing and funny, and the Express Yourself Madonna rip-off was great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It works ok on tablets. And it works really well in the mobile phone version.

That's how I read the web nowadays so I think it's a good change.

As an iPhone user who used the previous desktop version on my phone and loved it, I gotta disagree. There's not even a button to change to the desktop version from the mobile site, which is horrendous because mobile versions of websites are 1) never good and 2) always bad

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Y'all want some good news, I got some good news. MST3k Turkey Day is going to happen this year.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/11/18/mst3k-turkey-day-2013/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, I'm anti-Joel. Mike 4 lyfe.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If I can't turn on the TV and find it while I'm at my grandmother's house, it doesn't count.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Sorry, I'm anti-Joel. Mike 4 lyfe.

Well the article seems to be saying he's picking Mike episodes as well.

I'm gonna bet however that the nostalgia value will mean the fans pick only CC years episodes, and everyone knows the show was best during the SciFi Channel years. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nelson/Corbett/Murphy best line up.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I liked both Mike & Joel, but if I'm honest about, Mike's the best.

And Rifftrax is incredible.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

They're both great, to get into crazy MST3K turf wars is silly and you miss out on years of glorious riffing. Let's all love it all, maaaaaaaaaaaaan...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joel is a prop comic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm uh kind of lost too. I don't see a way to browse their archive of shows without knowing what you want to search for.

There used to be a thing which just listed the shows you had selected form the "all shows" list. Is that really gone? I have trouble believing they'd remove user-customization functionality in a 21st century website, so I have to assume I just can't find it.

edit: Apparently this is a known complaint and they'll implement that later. How dumb.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 18, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm not a big Joel fan either, but Turkey Day coming back is great under any circumstances. Stream that stuff to your TV with a Chromecast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This of course only adds fuel to the speculation that Joel might be trying to bring MST3K back as a Netflix series.

No way it would be as good as Rifftrax though, those guys (and their writers) have really gotten into a solid groove.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

This of course only adds fuel to the speculation that Joel might be trying to bring MST3K back as a Netflix series.

No way it would be as good as Rifftrax though, those guys (and their writers) have really gotten into a solid groove.

I'd be kind of surprised if Joel would work with Jim Mallon again. Seeing as how those two butting heads was what caused Joel to leave the show in the first place. Also to my knowledge Mike isn't that fond of him either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if Joel would work with Jim Mallon again. Seeing as how those two butting heads was what caused Joel to leave the show in the first place. Also to my knowledge Mike isn't that fond of him either.

Realistically, I think what would happen is Netflix would offer Mallon a small pile of cash to gently caress off and let Joel do his thing. I'm not the biggest fan of Joel, but I liked Trace about as much as Corbett so...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Joel own the rights or is Mike stacking paper too high through Rifftrax to make him the go to guy?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Does Joel own the rights or is Mike stacking paper too high through Rifftrax to make him the go to guy?

Mallon still owns the rights and is doing gently caress-all with 'em.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mallon owns the rights exclusively, iirc when Joel split.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Mallon still owns the rights and is doing gently caress-all with 'em.

He did try that short lived web cartoon series that was just the bots doing stuff. Although he didn't get anybody back other than Paul Chaplin for some reason to voice one of the character.

From what I've read nobody really likes Mallon all that much because he's kind of an rear end in a top hat to work with. Apparently the reason Mike's pre-Rifftrax venture "The Film Crew" didn't work out was because Mallon thought it was too close to MST3K and threatened to sue. Also the fact that when MST3K ended he just up and sold off everything without any consideration to the rest of the crew.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The thing that makes me the most sad about the post-MST3k revivals is that the crew is divided. I'd guess that there's some kind of non-competition thing in their contracts by their relative producers. The only Cinematic Titanic regular that has done Rifftrax is Mary Jo Peal and she only did one Rifftrax before CT started up.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zoux posted:

Joel is a prop comic.

To be fair, Joel came up in the 80's, when comedy was a fad, not a real movement. It's only natural that a prop comic would do well. He wouldn't do well today without better material.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Random Stranger posted:

The thing that makes me the most sad about the post-MST3k revivals is that the crew is divided. I'd guess that there's some kind of non-competition thing in their contracts by their relative producers. The only Cinematic Titanic regular that has done Rifftrax is Mary Jo Peal and she only did one Rifftrax before CT started up.

She did a Rifftrax before CT and did one after it had started. Glitter was the first with Mike and then the next year she did X-Files with Bill.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rifftrax did Glitter?! Holy poo poo! Sold American!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Deadpool posted:

I'm watching it right now, and even though it was spoiled on Twitter for me earlier I feel like it's landing a little soft. I'm thinking this might be one last red herring. At least I'm hoping so. I have no problem with who it is, but the reveal came off soft.

Yeah, plus earlier in the season, in the CBI office, Reede looked and sounded like he was in charge. If Reede is not RJ, that scene was confusing.

At this point, Ray Haffner is the only one it could be right? He's of the right age to be Jane's rival, the only one the show has confirmed was at the first Red John "sighting." And probably smart enough not to carry around a tattoo marking himself. If the show throws us a curve ball, it has to be him imo.

It's amazing, a few years ago, we were talking about this tigre, tigre thing in the Mentalist thread, and a lot of people postulated that it was just a bunch of corrupt cops because of the poem.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

There's a rumor going around that AMC has ordered a Preacher pilot and that Seth Rogan may be involved.

I hope the ridiculous homophobia is left intact.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hope the ridiculous homophobia is left intact.

Do you mean Preacher or Rogen?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Rewatching Friday Night Lights. Can't find the season 3/4/5 threads, anyone able to help me out?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't understand the rage for web designs that take up more space and show me less content.

e: no, wait, I totally get it, all the freaking whitespace is in there so they can shovel ads into it.

Next to the ad part, web design is basically aping the magazine/newspaper design trends from about 10 years ago. While boxes (especially text boxes) have all but disappeared there in the last few years they are all the rage in web design for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey. Hey guys.

Watch Almost Human. For real.

• Locked thread