Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Paco de Suave posted:

I looked up the wiki pages for glass walls before I made it, all of the pictures use a pattern like that or smaller. You'd think they would mention something about it.

See: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Glass_Wall

See: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/House#Background_Wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Paco de Suave posted:

I looked up the wiki pages for glass walls before I made it, all of the pictures use a pattern like that or smaller. You'd think they would mention something about it.

Fill in the gaps with Grass Walls? v:v:v

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Get on TEdit and fix it!

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

goodness posted:

Get on TEdit and fix it!

Sure, now I find out about this program. At least that was an easy fix to just paint the walls with glass. Thanks!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So apparently NPCs will simply refuse to live in flesh buildings. I wish you had told me this ahead of time, game. :mad:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

C'mon now, would YOU live in a house made of living demonic meat?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

SpruceZeus posted:

You could always roleplay being a Cenobite.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

SpruceZeus posted:

I would if I was my world's Arms Dealer and my house was the desiccated corpse of a giant worm. <:mad:>
Thankfully for my plans pink dungeon brick goes well with with meat blocks.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

So apparently NPCs will simply refuse to live in flesh buildings. I wish you had told me this ahead of time, game. :mad:

You must be having some other kind of issue, NPCs moved into my meat kingdom just fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Even tiny amounts of corruption anywhere near can render housing unsuitable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know corruption is an issue, but I've already accounted for that.

This is the error I'm getting. The dimensions are fine, and it has all the furnishings and it's not too corrupt. If I remove one furnishing I get a normal error.

In my experience, you only get this error when the housing is otherwise valid. If there's too much corruption, you also get a specific error message:

The Crimson is at the bottom of the cliff on the right, but I planted a bunch of sunflowers offscreen, so the area around my house isn't counted as corrupted.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 14, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I had a skybridge that got crimsoned well offscreen near the top of my tower and it gave me that "not suitable" message until I went and purified it a few screens further and cut a hole to prevent it from spreading back, at which point it became suitable housing.

It's the Crimson.

EDIT: Also the crimson isn't "at the bottom of the cliff" so much as "visible at the bottom of the screenshot".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, it was the crimson. Apparently you get the not valid error if there's too much corruption, but you're not in the corrupted biome, I guess? All I had to do was plant more sunflowers.

The stuff in the screenshot is just some corrupted grass. I didn't think that would be enough, but turns out it was.

EDIT: vv I'm aware. I was just posting that as a comparison to show that the housing I was trying to get to work was not in the Crimson biome.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 14, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kajeesus posted:

The Crimson is at the bottom of the cliff on the right, but I planted a bunch of sunflowers offscreen, so the area around my house isn't counted as corrupted.
For future reference, the fact that the background is that of the Crimson biome means that you absolutely are in the Crimson and thus the house is not livable.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
Trying to farm the nazar is killing me. I have everything else for the ankh charm

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

carnassials posted:

Trying to farm the nazar is killing me. I have everything else for the ankh charm

It is almost guaranteed you will get one or two nazars while grinding the dungeon in search for anything else.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

qnqnx posted:

It is almost guaranteed you will get one or two nazars while grinding the dungeon in search for anything else.

I've farmed paladins and bruce lees for hours and never seen a small skull. My pygmy has been grinding on easymode for me and still haven't seen any.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

carnassials posted:

I've farmed paladins and bruce lees for hours and never seen a small skull. My pygmy has been grinding on easymode for me and still haven't seen any.

Alternatively, you could go for the pumpkin moon music box glitch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So at what point should I move on to hard mode? I haven't died in easy mode in ages, except through my own stupidity (drowned in honey when I accidentally mined through into a water cave and got stuck under honey blocks).

Should I finish my home before I move on? Should I take the time to get buckets of lava for the roof and moats? That sort of thing?

Also what's a reliable way of finding sky islands? Build a long bridge across the top? I found one but I feel it was by luck more than anything.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

So at what point should I move on to hard mode? I haven't died in easy mode in ages, except through my own stupidity (drowned in honey when I accidentally mined through into a water cave and got stuck under honey blocks).

Should I finish my home before I move on? Should I take the time to get buckets of lava for the roof and moats? That sort of thing?

Also what's a reliable way of finding sky islands? Build a long bridge across the top? I found one but I feel it was by luck more than anything.

Mostly depends on you gear when to go for hard mode. Necro, Molten or Jungle/Ancient Cobalt armor is needed, plus appropriate weapons.
As for the moats, you just need a single bucket, you can duplicate any liquid with just a bucket of said liquid and five blocks in an u shape, by repeatedly dropping and scooping the liquid in one of the the top parts of the us so half drops below and the other half refills the bucket.

Fpr the sky islands, get gravitation potions, you might need many of them

Also, remember that infectious biomes spread much faster and through more blocks in hard mode, until a certain point.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ConfusedUs posted:

You don't need to prepare your house, unless its not in the sky already. If it's in the ground or on the surface, yeah, you'll need some protection.

You shouldn't need anything more than meteor armor and the space gun honestly. Anything you have better than that is a bonus. Right when you start hard mode, you can get the mushroom spear and the frost armor set, which is better than almost anything else in hard mode.

Also, islands. If you have the meteor armor + space gun, just walk along the ground firing straight up every little bit. If there's an island above you, you'll hear the space gun hit a block. Then you can just build a tall 1-block sand pile to get up there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

crestfallen posted:

You don't need to prepare your house, unless its not in the sky already. If it's in the ground or on the surface, yeah, you'll need some protection.

You shouldn't need anything more than meteor armor and the space gun honestly. Anything you have better than that is a bonus. Right when you start hard mode, you can get the mushroom spear and the frost armor set, which is better than almost anything else in hard mode.

Also, islands. If you have the meteor armor + space gun, just walk along the ground firing straight up every little bit. If there's an island above you, you'll hear the space gun hit a block. Then you can just build a tall 1-block sand pile to get up there.

My house started as an upside down pyramid (the point is on the ground). I took some input from my son, and it turned into a heart. Then we built a large arrow through it.

It's built so that the ground near the point is easy to get into but impossible to get out of without flight. I have pressure-plate dart traps and stuff down there.

All the doors are well off ground level, except those with actuators.

I've been thinking of

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

My house started as an upside down pyramid (the point is on the ground). I took some input from my son, and it turned into a heart. Then we built a large arrow through it.

It's built so that the ground near the point is easy to get into but impossible to get out of without flight. I have pressure-plate dart traps and stuff down there.

All the doors are well off ground level, except those with actuators.

I've been thinking of

How near the ground the point is? There is a hardmode enemy that floats through blocks but doesn't actually fly, so a gap can prevent it from entering and murder your NPCs when it's Blood Moon.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just go into hardmode the enemies killing your NPCs wont matter they will respawn the next day. As you see new enemies killing your NPCs figure out how they are getting in and make modifications as needed to slowly fortify the base.

This is what I did and had a really fun time adding random pit and spike traps as needed to kill different enemy types. If you are super worried make a second world to store all your important stuff.

I was fighting destroyer of world and magic mirrored back to spawn. This resulted in him flying straight through the building slicing 4 or 5 NPCs in half. Luckily their brother showed up to run their shop and handle the burial.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

qnqnx posted:

Alternatively, you could go for the pumpkin moon music box glitch.

What glitch is this?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Paco de Suave posted:

The issue is that they're not using those as houses, and in houses you can't have a crack that goes for more than 4 blocks in a straight line. There's been a goon who used a similar pattern in his houses, but he shifted the panels up and down slightly in each column so the central seam didn't line up and invalidate the housing.

Of course that'd require tearing out half the backwall in that place and it'd probably just be easier to fill it all in.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

What glitch is this?

Empty music boxes that record the pumpkin moon music transform into the ankh instead of the pumpkin moon music box.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

President Ark posted:

The issue is that they're not using those as houses, and in houses you can't have a crack that goes for more than 4 blocks in a straight line. There's been a goon who used a similar pattern in his houses, but he shifted the panels up and down slightly in each column so the central seam didn't line up and invalidate the housing.

Of course that'd require tearing out half the backwall in that place and it'd probably just be easier to fill it all in.

This is strange timing because I haven't lurked this thread in a few weeks, but I think your referring to this:

I posted the design in the other thread right before 1.2 came out.

You just have to break up the horizontal seams, the vertical is generally fine, although my rooms are never very tall. The large greenhouse pattern is not valid, the horizontal bottom seam ruins it. The individual rooms use the top solid wall to fix this with the glass staggering into it, the game puts the wall artifact behind the glass and looks much more presentable. You can run glass all the way to the edges and hide it behind wall blocks, but I think this looks a lot cleaner.

For large glass walls, like that greenhouse, I highly recommend you lay down your foreground first, in this case those wooden ledges, as it allows you to place wall behind them. Otherwise you have to connect each glass panel and then knock out the middle piece.

But yeah it's a huge bitch to do on a large scale, and if you don't plan it out from the start there is a LOT of tearing down and restarting in your future because edges don't line up (or maybe this won't bother you like it does me, the giant sperg). With a little bit of practice though it's not really any more difficult then any other building project.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 17, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What exactly are the odds of one of the Hardmode bosses spawning on any given random night if you haven't beaten them yet? I just started hardmode the other day and I've only got Paladium armor and no real hardmode casting weapons yet.

I remember somebody saying they checked the code and they wouldn't spawn if you were underground at night, but the wiki implies that they can spawn if you come back up at some point during the night.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

What exactly are the odds of one of the Hardmode bosses spawning on any given random night if you haven't beaten them yet? I just started hardmode the other day and I've only got Paladium armor and no real hardmode casting weapons yet.

I remember somebody saying they checked the code and they wouldn't spawn if you were underground at night, but the wiki implies that they can spawn if you come back up at some point during the night.

You'll get a warning message like you would for an invasion or the Eye of Cthulhu about a minute and a half before they spawn. So you have time to go hide underground then ideally.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wouldn't they still spawn though? I could imagine being really far underground wouldn't help much against the Destroyer.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wouldn't they still spawn though? I could imagine being really far underground wouldn't help much against the Destroyer.

No, they don't spawn underground, unless you go up above aground after you get the message, as far as I know.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
The RNG is so drat weird in this. I make a grinder world to get things and I go to the dungeon to get Tabis. I had a half dozen belts but no Tabis. Now I am swimming in the ninja shoes and yet I still can't reliably get Wisp in a bottles. Do they make it so drop rates on some items are greater in some maps or something?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A Frosty Beverage posted:

The RNG is so drat weird in this. I make a grinder world to get things and I go to the dungeon to get Tabis. I had a half dozen belts but no Tabis. Now I am swimming in the ninja shoes and yet I still can't reliably get Wisp in a bottles. Do they make it so drop rates on some items are greater in some maps or something?

I set up an afk farm on one map to get a Hallowed Key Mold. So far it's been like a week and nothing, but for some reason every time a fairy drops a clock it also drops a megaphone as well, and they drop at a rate substantially higher than the 1% they are supposedly set at.

I did get my first Unicorn on a Stick this morning though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

A Frosty Beverage posted:

Call it confirmation bias or whatever, but the dungeon seems to be an especially bad places for getting stuff you aren't geared up for, or getting stuff you don't need anymore.
Cases in point:
1) Playing as a magic geared character and grinding for an inferno fork and armor polish, I got like five keybrands, four tactical shotguns, two rocket launchers (one of them godly), one sniper rifle, about three SWAT helmets and a magnet sphere before getting the inferno fork and polish. No wisp in a bottle in sight as well, and the magnet sphere didn't really count since I lacked one, I just forgot completely that needed one.
2) More recently playing as a ranged geared character in a different dungeon, it struggled badly to get a single rocket launcher and shotgun. Yet I got other five keybrands, about 12 armor polishes (and I already had the ankh shield), two shadowbeam staves, the wisp in a bottle in both the paladin hammer and shield. And this dungeon had only a small room with the background for skeleton snipers, so I tried again in the case 1 world. Still called it quits after getting a spectre staff and a poison staff from a nearby spider nest and just got trade stuff in between characters.
I'm basically expecting now to not get either Paladin drop ever when I go try again as a melee geared character, now.

What's the goddamn deal with the keybrands, anyways.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
My experience was the opposite. Magically geared character, picked up Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork, Nimbus Staff, and most of the magic stuff in general without trying too hard. I wasn't going out of my way to just sit there and grind, let's put it that way.

Random is random.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

crestfallen posted:

My experience was the opposite. Magically geared character, picked up Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork, Nimbus Staff, and most of the magic stuff in general without trying too hard. I wasn't going out of my way to just sit there and grind, let's put it that way.

Random is random.

I got the Nimbus Staff at the very first rain in hardmode and my Golden Showered got reforged to mythical first try, so yeah.

I've also heard that worlds are biased towards having the WoF drop a particular emblem, is it true?
Because in between two worlds I got 5 ranged, 2 Sorceror and 0 Warrior.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I set up an afk farm on one map to get a Hallowed Key Mold. So far it's been like a week and nothing, but for some reason every time a fairy drops a clock it also drops a megaphone as well, and they drop at a rate substantially higher than the 1% they are supposedly set at.

I did get my first Unicorn on a Stick this morning though.

Download TShock and set up a private server with your farm map. Turn the spawn rate down to 1 and the limit up to 1000 or something else insane. You'll get that mold within 5 minutes or so.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Rynoto posted:

Download TShock and set up a private server with your farm map. Turn the spawn rate down to 1 and the limit up to 1000 or something else insane. You'll get that mold within 5 minutes or so.
If you're going to go this far, just spawn the item in directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

crestfallen posted:

If you're going to go this far, just spawn the item in directly.
That's not an apt comparison at all. With this method you still have to survive, fight, and kill the enemies. There's just less waiting around between spawns.

• Locked thread