Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago and am a hopeless addict. Is there generally a big all-DLC sale that goes on every now and again? I REALLY want to have all the stuff and I'm dying from the stress of restraining myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MrBling posted:

Whats a nice easy start for this game? I just can't seem to get my head around it.

EU4 made sense the first time I played it and everything was pretty logical but CK2 just seems so much more complicated and less streamlined.

Dublin. Your father dies shortly after the game start and you inherit his county.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MrBling posted:

Whats a nice easy start for this game? I just can't seem to get my head around it.

EU4 made sense the first time I played it and everything was pretty logical but CK2 just seems so much more complicated and less streamlined.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Dublin. Your father dies shortly after the game start and you inherit his county.

Dublin's a great choice, but you really can't go wrong with anywhere in Ireland in :siren:1066:siren:. If you have the Old Gods DLC and start from the 867 date you will get your poo poo kicked in by Vikings (so I've heard, my only 9th century games have been in Persia). On the other hand, Ireland in 1066 is called "Tutorial Island" for a reason. No one person is significantly stronger than another, and foreign invasion is unlikely as England and Scotland will be busy with their own issues for a while (thank you, William the Bastard and Harald Hardrade), allowing you to learn and grow at more or less your own pace.

Christian Spain from 1066 is a good trial-by-fire once you've got the basics down, as well. The other Christian kingdoms will scheme against you as you're all related and set to inherit each other if something "happens" to your heirs, and the Muslims in control of the other half of Iberia will want to take your land by force. It's a bit too much for someone brand-new to the game but a good place to go to learn more about warfare and intrigue without being too difficult.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 18, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Are there any plans to fix landed bishop court chaplains being able to raise relations with themselves?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Why didn't anyone mention Sons of Abraham added Jews? That's what I've wanted this whole time. Totally bought it. Time to conquer the known world as the most powerful Jew in history (with my Immortality mod)!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

DStecks posted:

Are there any plans to fix landed bishop court chaplains being able to raise relations with themselves?

Not sure, but one of my bishops is now paying taxes to himself! :shepface:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

PureRok posted:

Why didn't anyone mention Sons of Abraham added Jews? That's what I've wanted this whole time. Totally bought it. Time to conquer the known world as the most powerful Jew in history (with my Immortality mod)!

Jews are historically immortal so you won't need to mod that in.

e; it sounds like this patch/expansion broke everything ever with regards to religion and religious vassals. Buggy as gently caress?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So I'm playing as the King of Ireland (formerly the Duke of Tara) in the Old Gods start, and while at war with some Norsemen I got an event chain that is, essentially, the Joan of Arc Story.

It's fuckin' sweet, and not just because now I have a lady courtier who can lead armies and who has a 33 Martial score. I'm irritating my vassals left and right by continuing to side with her, mind...

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Yeah their seems to be a bug with Papal piety.

Is Ironman supposed to ignore characters created with the ruler designer or am I missing something?

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Did the patch break Norse shipyards in 867? I don't get any ships as a Scandinavian count, which makes the start really slow unless you're one of the big guys like Harald Fairhair.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Mister Adequate posted:

I bought it from GG a couple hours ago? Patched too.

Care to give the url for the dlc? Searching "sons of abraham" brought up nothing.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Vodos posted:

Yeah their seems to be a bug with Papal piety.

Is Ironman supposed to ignore characters created with the ruler designer or am I missing something?

Ironman doesnt work with ruler designer characters flat out.

The economy changes seem quite good, the HRE could barely keep up with his maintenance fees in the middle of 2 civil wars.

e: Another bug, William the Conqueror just won a crusade for Jerusalem, with the pope calling for festivities, yet nothing actually happened. Jerusalem is still held by the Fatimids and William is just the King of England.

Also, when a ruler of an elective monarchy is deposed, his next highest primary title becomes elective as well.

Inexplicably, the Breton Band (ducal level) have managed to hold onto the dejure Kingdom of Norway for about 30 years now, with no revolts whatsoever even though they have several powerful vassals.

Ham fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 18, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One of my favourite parts of the patch:

Patch notes posted:

- Waived the creation conditions (culture, religion) for most kingdoms and empires for human players

Hell. Yes.

From what I can tell, the only kingdoms with restrictions are Venice (must be Republic), Israel (Jewish decision), and Jerusalem (must be Christian), and the only empire with restrictions is the Roman Empire (Byzantine decision).

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
About to embark on an Ironman Venice 867 start. Any advice? I've read the LP thread, but it starts in 1066.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

alcaras posted:

About to embark on an Ironman Venice 867 start. Any advice? I've read the LP thread, but it starts in 1066.

Don't. You don't get to build tradeposts for quite a while because of technological constraints in 867, and you'll be stuck for quite a while.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TinTower posted:

One of my favourite parts of the patch:

Hell. Yes.

From what I can tell, the only kingdoms with restrictions are Venice (must be Republic), Israel (Jewish decision), and Jerusalem (must be Christian), and the only empire with restrictions is the Roman Empire (Byzantine decision).

Oh, thank the good lord. I don't care if I'm a different culture, if I rule all of, say, Portugal, I am by all rights the king of Portugal.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the gently caress. Why did my vassal levy levels go from 500k to 150k? And my personal levy went from 19 to 28k. Im Roman Empire if that matters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the gently caress. Why did my vassal levy levels go from 500k to 150k? And my personal levy went from 19 to 28k. Im Roman Empire if that matters.

Vassal levies took a massive nerf in the new patch. It's meant to weaken blobs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is the patch/dlc good or is it buggy? I'm debating getting it and trying it out tonight but if there's issues I'll wait till they're fixed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

fool_of_sound posted:

Vassal levies took a massive nerf in the new patch. It's meant to weaken blobs.

Wait, so it's not just the thing where negative opinion vassals give you no levies? It's a global nerf to the entire reason for having feudal vassals in the first place? I'm picturing a world where you start the game and within a week every kingdom/empire completely falls apart until everyone is a petty king.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mailer posted:

Wait, so it's not just the thing where negative opinion vassals give you no levies? It's a global nerf to the entire reason for having feudal vassals in the first place? I'm picturing a world where you start the game and within a week every kingdom/empire completely falls apart until everyone is a petty king.

CK1?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mailer posted:

Apparently, the patch also implements diminishing returns for each tier a vassal is beneath you as well (so a Count provides a smaller percentage than a Duke), partially to encourage people to have higher level vassals, partially to weaken blobs and make factions more dangerous.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Aiyiyiyi I don't like this change one bit. It should be an optional change or just in Ironmode or something. Sorry but I enjoyed being an unstoppable juggernaut with a half million troops. I earned it by conquering the entire Mediterranean/Arabia :colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 18, 2013

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The two second stutter every month introduced by this patch is super annoying

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I can't really put my finger on it but the patch seems pretty buggy all around. It slowed down my game a bit, too.

Then again I ran into a weird situation before the patch where my lieges would start revoking my titles within a couple of years no matter who I played as.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My game takes a lot longer to boot up now too. On a SSD.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Think I'm gonna hold off on this patch and SoA until the next big DLC they've been hinting at. Pope Joan would have pushed it over the limit and yeah, I guess it makes sense that Cathars wouldn't want a Pope, but... :smith:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Raserys posted:

Think I'm gonna hold off on this patch and SoA until the next big DLC they've been hinting at. Pope Joan would have pushed it over the limit and yeah, I guess it makes sense that Cathars wouldn't want a Pope, but... :smith:

Cathars get full gender Councillor equality

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ho do I turn Ironman mode on? The button is greyed out and I can't click it even after verifying cache.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

axeil posted:

So is the patch/dlc good or is it buggy? I'm debating getting it and trying it out tonight but if there's issues I'll wait till they're fixed.

Buggy.

Two big issues:
Super popes mean Catholic MA is always 100%
Vassalising the Knights Templar and other Holy Orders doesn't actually do anything.

There is a lot of stuff broken, best to wait till they patch it to play.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ho do I turn Ironman mode on? The button is greyed out and I can't click it even after verifying cache.

You can't use an existing save.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You also cannot have any mods loaded.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Excelzior posted:

You also cannot have any mods loaded.

I'm not completely retarded.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

Cathars get full gender Councillor equality

I didn't know that, kind of neat. I guess I'll try out a Cathar game if the ck2+ MRA maintainers are going to get rid of the entirely optional gender equality mod.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

davecrazy posted:

Are you playing in Ironman mode?

I started a 1066 game as Venice. Is it normal for it to cost me 26 gold a month to raise my 58-ship personal fleet levy? A thousand dudes costs a tenth of that

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nitevision posted:

Are you playing in Ironman mode?

I started a 1066 game as Venice. Is it normal for it to cost me 26 gold a month to raise my 58-ship personal fleet levy? A thousand dudes costs a tenth of that

Personal fleets cost a literal boatload of gold/month, always use your vassal's if you can, but as Venice with one county that could be difficult.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Gonna try this troop splitting thing

Welp.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For Ironmode can't you just set autosave to every week and use that all the time? Or does it lock autosaves into every year?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For Ironmode can't you just set autosave to every week and use that all the time? Or does it lock autosaves into every year?

davecrazy posted:

Pretty sure this is the game saving every month on Ironmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Then I can't play iron mode unless you can make it yearly or something it's super annoying. I like to play with the speed cranked and pause as needed.

• Locked thread