Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Pilchenstein posted:

He is the guy who brings the scrap metal to Lurch (I want to say his name is Targo, maybe?), which is why Lurch can so easily kick McClane in the face after he shoots the dude - he's on top of the container checking it's contents.

As someone already pointed it out, it's partly a call back to the whole "next time you get a chance to kill someone" bit in the first Die Hard, but it's also partly a cautionary tale about the dangers of annoying John McClane - he's in a bit of a violent mood by that point, as the random mook he caught walking through a door a few minutes earlier would attest, if he hadn't just had a bulkhead slammed on his head a half dozen times.

Most of the reason he did it is because, in the original ending of the film, McClane basically turns into a sociopath after the events of that day. Him straight up murdering that guy is buildup to the intended ending, and didn't get fixed when the ending got changed. The original ending is on the bluray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

OK Octopus posted:

You did. It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It. Didn't. Happen.

I think we've found George Lucas' forum account.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OK Octopus posted:

You did. It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

It. Didn't. Happen.

I was amazed that Carrie Fisher was on more drugs than Mark Hamil in that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

As someone already pointed it out, it's partly a call back to the whole "next time you get a chance to kill someone" bit in the first Die Hard, but it's also partly a cautionary tale about the dangers of annoying John McClane - he's in a bit of a violent mood by that point, as the random mook he caught walking through a door a few minutes earlier would attest, if he hadn't just had a bulkhead slammed on his head a half dozen times.

Its mostly the irritating movie thing - its perfectly okay to have an alcoholic law-breaking cold-blood murdering guy running around if he's a cop on your side.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I was amazed that Carrie Fisher was on more drugs than Mark Hamil in that.
It was pretty funny how they covered up Mark Hamil's injuries from a bad car accident with heavy makeup that made him look like a Ken doll.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LeJackal posted:

Its mostly the irritating movie thing - its perfectly okay to have an alcoholic law-breaking cold-blood murdering guy running around if he's a cop on your side.

Oh absolutely, John McClane, like so many action heroes, is an absolute dick and wouldn't last a day in the real world.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Oh absolutely, John McClane, like so many action heroes, is an absolute dick and wouldn't last a day in the real world.
Yeah, that part in Die Hard where he taunts that one terrorist about killing his brother just made me go "What the gently caress, man."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Celery Face posted:

Yeah, that part in Die Hard where he taunts that one terrorist about killing his brother just made me go "What the gently caress, man."

Do you remember the part when the terrorists (including the blond guy you're talking about) shoot the innocent Mr. Takagi in the face just so they can rob him?

These aren't parole violators he's taking down.

Not to mention the entire series doesn't really hide the fact that McClane is a sociopath that is impossible to live with and drives away everyone he loves. He's not the best role model.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Do you remember the part when the terrorists (including the blond guy you're talking about) shoot the innocent Mr. Takagi in the face just so they can rob him?

These aren't parole violators he's taking down.

Not to mention the entire series doesn't really hide the fact that McClane is a sociopath that is impossible to live with and drives away everyone he loves. He's not the best role model.
I guess I missed that last part when I watched the first movie, which is the only Die Hard movie I've seen. My bad. But then again, taunting someone about killing their relative is a pretty nasty and cold blooded thing to do, no matter who the person you're talking to is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's funny looking back, how much John McClane is NOT an okay guy. Sending the bloody body of one of the men back to the rest with a message about how he's going to kill them is the sort of behavior that the bad guy does in a horror movie, but it's okay because he's behaving that way towards the real bad guys. Because it had such lasting power as a good action movie, it's easy to overlook how it's very much a product of the so-called ultra-violent 80's action film trends.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The chest-burster scene in Alien was pretty loving awesome, but I just noticed a little detail today:

Why'd they have to give him a dumb little space-belt buckle? Apparently they colored it in flat grey for later releases.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pneub posted:

The chest-burster scene in Alien was pretty loving awesome, but I just noticed a little detail today:

Why'd they have to give him a dumb little space-belt buckle? Apparently they colored it in flat grey for later releases.

Not as great as this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5Bl9mwl-Y

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The worst part of that movie to me was the OMG FREE BULLETS IN THE FRONT YARD OF THE WHITEHOUSE! GET EM WHILE THEY ARE HOT! reasoning that everyone ran out INTO THE GUNFIRE to somehow mysteriously get mowed down.
There were a lot more bad parts to it, but god drat that was just loving retarded.

This and the dumbest president in the entire history of the world irritated me to no end. His staff was willing to die to protect their codes to the nukes, but Mr President has to be all noble and order them to give up their codes because he can't stand seeing them hurt.

I totally empathised with the traitor secret service agent. Everyone in the white house was so goddamn idiotic.

Pilchenstein posted:

I've only watched the two most recent Die Hards, and I don't really remember McClane being an rear end in a top hat in the fourth one, at least no more then the usual action movie hero, but the latest one had a really irritating moment.

When McClane first arrives in Russia during the first chase scene, McClane runs into the middle of the road and nearly gets hit by a car. Driver comes out to yell at McClane for being an idiot, McClane decks the driver and steals the car, leaving the driver's unconscious body in the middle of the road for another vehicle to drive over.

It was such a dick moment, that I couldn't really believe I was supposed to root for this guy. Good to know he's always been a huge dick though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

mania posted:

I've only watched the two most recent Die Hards,

You haven't seen a Die Hard from before when Bruce Willis stopped giving a poo poo. John McClane actually had a personality in the first three movies (one that probably would've gotten him fired before he made Detective).

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Celery Face posted:

I guess I missed that last part when I watched the first movie, which is the only Die Hard movie I've seen. My bad. But then again, taunting someone about killing their relative is a pretty nasty and cold blooded thing to do, no matter who the person you're talking to is.

The taunts you're talking about happen in a point-blank fist fight to the death. "Cold-blooded" is really not the phrase you're looking for here.

McClane is an aggressive person in the first film, but I don't know that I would ever really apply phrases like "cold-blooded" or "sociopath" to him. He finds himself in an impossible situation and takes the most aggressive path of action to surviving. That is exactly the type of attitude that was sought after and encouraged in police officers until the storm of IA suits during the 90's. It's not a particularly admirable quality, but if you've been around military or law enforcement types much you've probably met several people like this.

By the third movie he's clearly gone off the rails a bit, but they foreshadow that by dragging him in off of suspension at the request of a terrorist, and find him hungover.

Pretty much every Die Hard movie is about a completely different character.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

mania posted:

I've only watched the two most recent Die Hards, and I don't really remember McClane being an rear end in a top hat in the fourth one

It depends on which version of the fourth one you've seen. There's a "sanitised" version and an unrated version - in the unrated version when he shoots the henchman while talking to Sheriff Bullock on the radio, you don't get the bit afterwards where he promises to call the guy an ambulance because he didn't really shoot him. While we're on the subject, if anyone could spot any differences between the two versions besides that, the joke about annual car crash statistics after he downs the helicopter and the gunshot dubbed over "Yippee ki yay motherfucker", they've got a better eye than me.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Heres Hank posted:

Pretty much every Die Hard movie is about a completely different character.

Fun fact, this is because pretty much every Die Hard movie was not originally supposed to be a Die Hard movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

Fun fact, this is because pretty much every Die Hard movie was not originally supposed to be a Die Hard movie.

The only Die Hard script that was actually written to be a sequel to Die Hard is the latest one.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They should have followed the trend and just switched the scripts around for the last Die Hard and Arnold's The Last Stand. I know I said this last year, too, but having an aged MacClane in a small southwestern town sort of invokes some of that 'cowboy' themes from the first film and I think the whole notion sort of works better.

I think there's room to move with a scaled back Die Hard in those constraints and let him return to his put-open and frustrated everyman roots instead of making him a walking anti-terrorist badass with world-shaking stakes always on the table.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Pneub posted:

Fun fact: the little circular design on the belt buckle is his rank insignia, and close examination shows different designs on each character's belt buckle. There's one each for executive officers, engineering, science, and navigation. I don't know if that makes you feel less silly about the space-buckle, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Patattack posted:

Fun fact: the little circular design on the belt buckle is his rank insignia, and close examination shows different designs on each character's belt buckle. There's one each for executive officers, engineering, science, and navigation. I don't know if that makes you feel less silly about the space-buckle, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Imagine being a civilian trying to address someone by the right rank.

"Um, I say, excuse me..." *squats down in front of crotch* "Sargeant..."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

muscles like this? posted:

The only Die Hard script that was actually written to be a sequel to Die Hard is the latest one.

Even weirder, the first one was originally written to be a sequel to The Detective

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Even weirder, the first one was originally written to be a sequel to The Detective

I'd heard it was supposed to be Commando II.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The novel The Detective had a sequel, Nothing Lasts Forever, which was going to be adapted into Commando 2. When Schwarzenegger passed on Commando 2, the script was reworked into Die Hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Lasts_Forever_%281979_novel%29#Die_Hard_film_adaptation

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloodcider posted:

The novel The Detective had a sequel, Nothing Lasts Forever, which was going to be adapted into Commando 2. When Schwarzenegger passed on Commando 2, the script was reworked into Die Hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Lasts_Forever_%281979_novel%29#Die_Hard_film_adaptation

And it only got adapted into Commando 2 because it was first turned into a straight adaptation as a sequel for Sinatra to star in, but he wasn't interested.

Fun article on all the possible films that could have resulted: The Best of All Possible Die Hards.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
I don't tend to notice/remember little things I don't like about a movie, but one thing that really bugged the poo poo out of me about Saving Private Ryan was the part where the Germans lost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kitsunegari posted:

I don't tend to notice/remember little things I don't like about a movie, but one thing that really bugged the poo poo out of me about Saving Private Ryan was the part where the Germans lost.

What exactly bugged you about it?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Jedit posted:

And which exact part? There's a bunch of fights against the Germans in it, unless you meant the big one at the end.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
If the people who made the Prince Of Persia movie wanted the identity of the villain to be a secret, then why did they cast Ben Kingsley? Though it can be hilarious when a bad guy is super obvious but none of the characters see anything off about him. The Human Centipede was ridiculous about that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

Dudes got five posts, 2 in FYAD, 2 in new GBS, and this one here.

He's trolling...or posting ironically...or whatever the hell FYADers and GBS 2.1ers call it.

See, it's edgy, because it's like he's saying Nazis are cool, or something, and he's sad they lost.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'd heard it was supposed to be Commando II.

A friend of mine swore up and down one of the Die Hards was originally a Rambo sequel, this is probably what he meant. Thnaks for the link!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda peeved at Saving Private Ryan too, but mainly because the big tank explosion at the end throws lumber and wood bits at the screen/camera when A GOD DAMNED TANK WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE OF WOOD.

Seriously. Multimillion dollar budget and they can't CGI out the 2x4's whizzing past Hank's head.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

If the people who made the Prince Of Persia movie wanted the identity of the villain to be a secret, then why did they cast Ben Kingsley? Though it can be hilarious when a bad guy is super obvious but none of the characters see anything off about him. The Human Centipede was ridiculous about that.
My bigger problem was that Ben Kingsley was somehow able to overpower Jake Gyllenhaal in a fight. Mr. Kingsley is a fine actor, but a muscleman he most certainly is not.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Urdnot Fire posted:

My bigger problem was that Ben Kingsley was somehow able to overpower Jake Gyllenhaal in a fight. Mr. Kingsley is a fine actor, but a muscleman he most certainly is not.
Chronicles of Riddick was a godawful movie, but it was the fist-fight between Riddick and the silly looking villain that had me giggling. Vin Diesel vs Canada's 15th Prime Minister? Sure, why not?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

As built as Gyllenhaal was in that movie, if we're talking Don Logan Kingsley I'd still give him pretty good odds.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I posted this before, but I'm on my phone and can't find the "look at your history in this thread" button:

The scene in Close Encounters has a crowd of Indians singing the Iconic Five Tones. The problem? They aren't singing the right notes! It's made worse by the fact the next scene has everyone listening to a recording of the singing, suddenly singing it accurately.

I've been told that they are singing the right notes (that we hear it played as 12345, and they are singing it 45123), but it doesn't work for my ears.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

MisterBibs posted:

I've been told that they are singing the right notes (that we hear it played as 12345, and they are singing it 45123), but it doesn't work for my ears.

That's because it's 3-4-5-1-2.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Oh god I hate myself for this.

It's 4-5-3-1-2

or G-A-F-f-c , some also have it as D-E-C-c-g

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Tsietisin posted:

Oh god I hate myself for this.

It's 4-5-3-1-2

or G-A-F-f-c , some also have it as D-E-C-c-g

Where'd you hear that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL2Dm-Bcv0&t=1m52s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In Thor : The Dark World the crazy teleporty stuff ends up with Thor being dropped into Charing Cross tube station. He asks for directions back to Greenwich where the fight is, gets told to take the train for three stops. It's funny because he's in his armour on the tube, hilarious!

The station he's in is painted a plain green. The real Charing Cross looks like this:

Sure, filming in a real tube station is kinda difficult. But why pick the most distinctive station in the whole country? And why pick one that's half the city away from Greenwich, not three stops? It's 8 stops with a ten minute walk at Waterloo to get on the right line.

• Locked thread