Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jose Pointero posted:

Read almost the entire thread over the course of a couple weeks, and just ordered my first new pair of tires for this bike:

:woop:
I've been wearing down the old tires that the PO had put on it, not even sure what brand they are. I have a feeling it'll be like an entirely different bike once I slap these babies on. Thanks for all the info guys.

We've swapped out several tires for PR3s. Hearing nothing but good things from the people that are using them so far. I plan on getting them myself when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just put them on my 675. Will try and remember to post up a more in depth review once I ride around them a bit this weekend.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I wish I could get PR2's or PR3's for my Ninja 500. I loved the PR2's on my SV650. Complete confidence in the wet or dry.

(I can get a PR2 or PR3 for my front tire (110/70/17) but they don't make them narrow enough in the back. Michelin makes the Pilot Aktiv for bikes with wee tires like mine...but their 2013 fitment chart doesn't show the front or the back size as being in production. Guess I'll have to go elsewhere.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Phone posting so can't double check rim sizes easily but you can't squeeze a 140 on there?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm trying to find new tires for my DRZ-S. I didn't have any problems with the stock Bridgestones, but I was hoping to find something a little more suited to offroad. Realistically, I'll probably only offroad it 20 - 30% of the time. I keep seeing Shinkos recommended on Thumpertalk but I'm not quite sure I want to trust a $40 tire.

Or should I just go all out and buy a second of 17" wheels for the road, and mount knobbies on the stock wheels?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Pirelli Scorpion MT90s are what I'm using at the moment and they're pretty decent on road and on grass. I've not taken them on anything more technical than a gravel road and even then I wasn't pushing it so I can't tell you how they'll handle but they seem to be a pretty decent compromise. MT60s have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern if you see yourself spending more time off road. Though if you can find a pair cheap you'll probably get better use out of two sets of wheels.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Deeters posted:

I'm trying to find new tires for my DRZ-S. I didn't have any problems with the stock Bridgestones, but I was hoping to find something a little more suited to offroad. Realistically, I'll probably only offroad it 20 - 30% of the time. I keep seeing Shinkos recommended on Thumpertalk but I'm not quite sure I want to trust a $40 tire.

Or should I just go all out and buy a second of 17" wheels for the road, and mount knobbies on the stock wheels?

I've heard decent things about the avon distanzia for mild offroading. Also seen Heidenau makes offroad capable tires (model K73?), but I haven't heard many reviews about it. The distanzia's seem to be the go-to offroad/supermoto tire.

My local shop said they wouldn't even order Shinko's after I mentioned that was what had come on my bike, so that may tell you something.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Another vote for the Distanzia, they make dirt/gravel bearable and they're surprisingly good on the road.
I've had three now.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm definitely leaning towards the Distanzias now, possibly the Gripsters. I passed over them at first since I only saw "tubeless" :doh:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I've currently got knobbly tires on my KLR 650, and I was wondering would be optimal for a winter work commute, with ice and snow on the road. Would tire studs be a good investment?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've currently got knobbly tires on my KLR 650, and I was wondering would be optimal for a winter work commute, with ice and snow on the road. Would tire studs be a good investment?

Not worth it. Take COTA.

And this is your first year on a bike right?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

astrollinthepork posted:

Not worth it. Take COTA.

And this is your first year on a bike right?

Yeah, I'm still a rank newbie... I just don't wanna give up riding for several months :(

I do have a car though, so it's not like I plan on riding when the weather is too unbelievably awful. I'm just planning on going out when the streets are plowed. The only thing that gives me trepidation is the parking lot at my work--it's not very well maintained. I'd feel utterly foolish getting to work perfectly fine, and then crashing.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
There's a huge difference between winter riding and trying to get through snow and ice. If there's snow or ice, taking a bike isn't worth the risk and cost. If it's just cold and dry? Layer up and go to town. Beyond traction issues, you should think about the affect salty water is going to have on your bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The fun part is when it gets around 0* your tires don't stick for the first couple of miles so you get off the gas and the rear will gracefully slide around on you. It's awesome.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Between Continental Milestones or Metezler 880, which is the preferred tire? From reviews online, it sounds like the Metezler is the way to go, but wasn't sure if anyone here had ridden one or the other and had thoughts.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

The fun part is when it gets around 0* your tires don't stick for the first couple of miles so you get off the gas and the rear will gracefully slide around on you. It's awesome.

That's exactly what I wanted to know... would tire studs help out with traction on winter roads, or are they more gimmicky than they're worth?

Edit: vv Thanks! I had no idea they were illegal--though it makes perfect sense. Just trying to prepare as best as possible for the inevitable out-of-the-blue snowstorm while I'm at work. vv

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 22, 2013

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's exactly what I wanted to know... would tire studs help out with traction on winter roads, or are they more gimmicky than they're worth?

He just means when the tires are cold and hard there isn't a lot of traction. Studs are good for ice, but terrible for dry roads. Also illegal. If the roads are at the point where ice is a problem you really shouldn't be out on a bike anyhow, studs or not. Really, the winters aren't bad here, and you're only looking at maybe 2-3 bad storms in any given winter. Studs aren't worth it unless you're a lot further north and way out in the sticks, and even then the utility of taking a bike is questionable. Even with studded tires, taking a bike onto public roads in bad conditions is going to be a huge ordeal and super dangerous. If there's snow or ice on the roads, just stay off the bike. There won't be that many days where it becomes a problem.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone here run Anakee 3s? How do they compare to other dual sport tires?

I've used mine for about 4k miles on my transalp this summer, and I thought they seemed fine but since my only frame of reference is some stone hard 6 year old back, 10 year old front Siracs so I'm not sure what I'll go for next.

I drive mostly on sealed surface roads, but they where very nice on the few gravel roads I took. Any other new tire still gotta be ok on gravel/dirt roads.

fake edit: I thought about how much gravel I rode. Only about 300 miles. seems like 90% road /10% gravel tires is what I need.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Wasn't someone going to put a ride report on a new set of Road Pilot 3s up, or did I imagine that whole thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I was going to do it.

The tires were great but my charging system asploded :(

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yeah I was going to do it.

I'll call that an endorsment. I need a new set of tires for next season, I kind of want like... Trail Attacks or Anakee 2s, because it would be funny to put them on a Striple, but I'll probably end up with RP3s because in the end I'm too sensible for my own good.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have an opinion on what the best (by which I mean grippyest) tires are for an old, awkward cruiser? I ride a Kawasaki EN450, with a 19/90 front and a 15/140 rear. All the popular choices I've seen seem to be outside of this range, so I got a Bridgestone Spitfire on the front, and a Pirelli Metric Cruise for the rear, neither of which I am happy with. I'm sure a lot of it comes from the cruiser geometry, and rider error (Just finished about a year since my MSF), but these tires just aren't confidence inspiring at all, especially in the rain.

I'm mainly concerned with having more grip. Longevity is always nice, of course, but It's something I'm willing to sacrifice.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

On the Triumph? There was a recall on regulator/rectifier. http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/triumph-street-triple-r-daytona-675-recall/

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sarrisan posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best (by which I mean grippyest) tires are for an old, awkward cruiser? I ride a Kawasaki EN450, with a 19/90 front and a 15/140 rear. All the popular choices I've seen seem to be outside of this range, so I got a Bridgestone Spitfire on the front, and a Pirelli Metric Cruise for the rear, neither of which I am happy with. I'm sure a lot of it comes from the cruiser geometry, and rider error (Just finished about a year since my MSF), but these tires just aren't confidence inspiring at all, especially in the rain.

I'm mainly concerned with having more grip. Longevity is always nice, of course, but It's something I'm willing to sacrifice.

A set of new, matched tires should do wonders for your confidence. I've used dual compound michelin touring tires the last few runs, pilot road 3s, and they're pretty good. More than enough grip for the street and good life. I went to Michelin's site to see what options they have for you but every time I search for a bike or tires I get this:

When I went around to some shops a lot tried to sell me Shinkos cause they're cheap. I'm not sure how the grip is but I heard they had poor life.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
For the record, I did buy my tires new, they're mismatched because the shop did not have two matching tires that fit (I bought the bike with what looked like the original tires, there was so much dry rot). I wasn't really worrying about stuff like handling or whatever, I just wanted the bike ridable quick.

Doing another search, I've noticed Michellin Commander 2s come in the right size for the rear, but they're a little off for the front (revzilla has a 90/90 19, the sticker on my bike lists 100/90 19). Assuming this is okay, does anyone have an opinion on these? They seem to have rave reviews, but so did my current tires, so I dunno.

nsaP posted:

When I went around to some shops a lot tried to sell me Shinkos cause they're cheap. I'm not sure how the grip is but I heard they had poor life.

I haven't heard too many great things about them either, besides the price.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Would knobbly tires affect countersteering in any way? Perhaps it's just my relative inexperience or adjustment to a new bike, but for some reason my KLR 650 doesn't naturally seem to countersteer on turns like my nighthawk does. Maybe it's just my perception, but when I turn >15 mph, the front tire seems to want to turn into the direction I'm going instead of away, and I was wondering if that was related to the knobbly tires on the bike, the bike itself, or just plain user error?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

OSU_Matthew posted:

Would knobbly tires affect countersteering in any way? Perhaps it's just my relative inexperience or adjustment to a new bike, but for some reason my KLR 650 doesn't naturally seem to countersteer on turns like my nighthawk does. Maybe it's just my perception, but when I turn >15 mph, the front tire seems to want to turn into the direction I'm going instead of away, and I was wondering if that was related to the knobbly tires on the bike, the bike itself, or just plain user error?

It's the riding position, fork rake, and wide bars. Manually countersteer and I guarantee it'll turn like it's supposed to.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At slow speeds countersteering just starts you leaning, it's normal for the wheel to follow the way you're going after you've leaned it over a bit. Do it some place where you can go from turning at 10mph to 30mph and you'll see the front tire gradually line up with the bike as you gain speed.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Oh, nice. Michelin has a new tire for small streetbikes, the Pilot Street Radial, in Ninja 500 sizes. Must be why they dropped those sizes from the Activ.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nsaP posted:

At slow speeds countersteering just starts you leaning, it's normal for the wheel to follow the way you're going after you've leaned it over a bit. Do it some place where you can go from turning at 10mph to 30mph and you'll see the front tire gradually line up with the bike as you gain speed.

Thanks! I'm definitely over-thinking this... I was particularly afraid of slipping into bad riding habits regarding turning. It would certainly behoove me to get in a parking lot and practice turning/emergency braking.

This is probably a dumb question, and it's probably been addressed earlier in the thread, but is it necessary for tread pattern to match on both wheels? I've got a nice spare front tire that I was hoping to pair with a new (probably slightly different) rear to replace my knobblies when they wear out. Am I setting myself up for problems?

Edit--derp, nevermind, reread OP.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 3, 2013

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I'm returning to riding after a year off and need to replace my '01 Hornet 600's tyres because the tread on the rear isn't going to be legal for much longer. Used to run Bridgestone BT021 for both front and rear as a decent all-round tyre covering everything from fast road riding in the heat to sub-zero commuting on icy roads. Looks like the BT021 has been replaced by BT023 - is this still a decent all round sport touring tyre or should I be looking elsewhere?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I much prefer the Michelin pilot road 3s to the bridgestones but you can't go wrong with an ST tire from any major brand right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tell me about tubed tyres. What the gently caress do the numbers mean? I have little experience with lovely ancient bikes but I bought a GL145 honda. It has wirespoke wheels, the front is marked "2.75-18", the rear is marked "3.25-18" and the bike came with a brand new pirelli marked "3.50-18". I realise the 18 is the wheel diameter, because I'm a deductive genius, but what are the other numbers?

More importantly, can that pirelli be fitted to either wheel of my bike or should I just get rid of it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Width of the tire.

Here's a link that explains and some stuff, plus a handy comparo table :)

https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp#width_table

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok sweet! And is there any difference front or rear? The tyre isn't marked either way but based on size I'd be sticking it on the back and I want to know if that's acceptable. FWIW the tread has no 'blocks' like the old tyres, it is just the plain old timey circumferential channels.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

How much life so I have left in this tire? http://imgur.com/DpVf36t

I'm going to order a new tire,but I'm wondering if I should replace it as soon as I get it, or let this one take some more wear first. It has about 6100 miles on it when I took that picture, at 6600 now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It shouldn't matter which end it's mounted on if it's not marked as front or rear.

That tire is done...You're at the wear bars already and it's always hard to tell where the limit is on those types of tires, cause there is no siping in the middle of them.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ok. I think I'll be ordering the rear PR3, I believe my front tire is still good and I can't even afford both right now. Yay for no insurance medical bills.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Ok sweet! And is there any difference front or rear? The tyre isn't marked either way but based on size I'd be sticking it on the back and I want to know if that's acceptable. FWIW the tread has no 'blocks' like the old tyres, it is just the plain old timey circumferential channels.

Vintage ribbed "speedmaster" tyres are for front mounting. Is this the kind you mean?

You would typically pair a "Speedmaster" front with a "GP" rear, see these historic Avons:
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic-tyres-range/motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it is a speedmaster type of thing. Bugger. Based on the profile chart, not only would it not fit my front rim but it would be larger than my rear tyre. Although the performance of the bike is so poor, and the condition of the current tyres so poo poo, it would probably improve things anyway. I just picture it wearing really quickly.

• Locked thread