Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

So, a few questions about the IV rater guy in Kiloude:

-What description is best? (i.e. "Fantastic" "Can't be beat")

-When he tells you a 2nd stat is also good, does that mean its equal to the first or just the next highest stat?

-Will he give more than two stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

C. E. Croix posted:

So, a few questions about the IV rater guy in Kiloude:

-What description is best? (i.e. "Fantastic" "Can't be beat")

-When he tells you a 2nd stat is also good, does that mean its equal to the first or just the next highest stat?

-Will he give more than two stats?

Cant be beat

Equal

Yes

Bonus: At the end they'll tell you any that are 0 by saying something bad about them, you know, if you're breeding for a trick room perfect IV pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

Breeding Helioptiles:

-10 with Sand Veil, some ok natures (including Timid)
-1 with Dry Skin, negative nature
-10 more Sand Veil
- :shepicide:

Breeding remains as annoying as always...is there any way that abilities can be passed by breeding? I know that natures can be passed if Everstone is held, but I'm not clear on abilities being passable or not.

The kid has an 80% chance of inheriting the mother/not-Ditto-parent's ability. I'm guessing the mother in this case has Sand Veil?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Breeding Helioptiles:

-10 with Sand Veil, some ok natures (including Timid)
-1 with Dry Skin, negative nature
-10 more Sand Veil
- :shepicide:

Breeding remains as annoying as always...is there any way that abilities can be passed by breeding? I know that natures can be passed if Everstone is held, but I'm not clear on abilities being passable or not.

Abilities are far more likely to be passed down when the mother has them

e:f;b

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GeckoMissingo posted:

Yes and no, I never used one and the friendship was maxed out each time I went there. I would say the exp boosting power + lucky egg is more important.

This is for freshly hatched Pokemon, right? I tried it with two safari Togepi and they haven't evolved yet. :(

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Everybody poops.

I can't help but believe that poke-earth has a layer of Dugtrio poop beneath the ground surface. Poop sinkholes :stonk:.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Am I an rear end in a top hat? I've put only 1.5 hours into Black so far, and just tried out Wonder trade a couple times. Sent a Weedle and a Pansage, got an Eevee (obviously bred for stuff) and a Torchic. Sent O powers, but I still feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Still seems like a faster way to get what I want than GTS might be. Checked what people wanted for Froakie and it was all Legendary requests in promis of a DW ability prefect IV specimin. I think later I'll probably just shove a bunch of Chespins on the market for other starters, because man, gently caress all the crazy trades, I just want to have some mons in my box.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
If they were level 1, you probably got someone's breeding rejects, so don't feel too bad.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

John Carstairs posted:

If they were level 1, you probably got someone's breeding rejects, so don't feel too bad.

Thanks. If nothing else, they could also send them forwards in a sort of bizare redux of the magnimite chain.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

This is for freshly hatched Pokemon, right? I tried it with two safari Togepi and they haven't evolved yet. :(

Oh yeah, the happiness goes up the more levels they get. It won't work too well with safari caught ones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kuhmondo posted:

I can't help but believe that poke-earth has a layer of Dugtrio poop beneath the ground surface. Poop sinkholes :stonk:.

There's probably poke-dung beetles somewhere.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

LAY-ZX posted:

The kid has an 80% chance of inheriting the mother/not-Ditto-parent's ability. I'm guessing the mother in this case has Sand Veil?

I didn't even think to check with the one I'm using to breed. Upon re-inspection...yep, changed and now less frustration.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

For my happiness evos I just stuck one of those black binder clips on the dpad and did donuts around the Eiffel tower with the soothe bell on. It works even better for this purpose than it does for hatching eggs because you don't have any dialog boxes popping up to stop you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's probably poke-dung beetles somewhere.

I predict we'll get Pootle and his evo Shitnsect at about Gen 8.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zoness posted:

Flying Gem doesn't exist in Gen VI yet, and it's nerfed,

That's the dumbest change this whole gen. If gems only do 1.3x damage what's the point? It used to be like a one-time use choice item, now it's only a one-time use life orb, or even a marginally more powerful one-time-use type boosting item/plate. And just to taunt us, they're not even in the game except the normal gem.

Fox of Stone posted:

I've started putting substitute on some of my pokes and I don't think I've quite gotten used to it. Am I supposed to predict when they'll switch or not attack and use it? What if they're trying to use a fighting attack against my tyranitar and I have a gengar waiting in my reserves with substitute? It seems like I either should attack the turn after I switch or I'm better off using protect instead. This is for doubles but I see a lot of pokemon listed in smogon with substitute recommended as a move. I'm trying to look online for guides but the ones I've found look like they're written for singles.

For doubles, protect is generally better than substitute, like Countblanc said.

If you're looking for example sets, smogon also has tabs below the base stats with other tier sets, including VGC '12 and smogon doubles. Here's an example:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/abomasnow/vgc2012
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/abomasnow/doubles

Desperate Character posted:

Both moves don't exactly have a wide distribution (it's mostly fighting and legendary types) but the few pokemon which can learn them are surprising (like Escalivier learning Quick Guard, Alomomola learning Wide Guard, and Mr. Mime learning both)! Not sure how useful they are competitively but might help with shutting down Klefkis and Talonflames.

Talonflame can also learn quick guard as an egg move. :yum:

Germstore posted:

I looked up a list of available clothing items, and was disappointed to find there are no purple boys' sneakers. I don't even know why I'm playing this game anymore.

Yet they have purple socks.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

That's the dumbest change this whole gen. If gems only do 1.3x damage what's the point? It used to be like a one-time use choice item, now it's only a one-time use life orb, or even a marginally more powerful one-time-use type boosting item/plate. And just to taunt us, they're not even in the game except the normal gem.

They literally just serve to activate Acrobatics and Unburden now. I wouldn't be surprised if Acrobatics now checks for an item BEFORE consuming the gem, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I got the shiny Ponyta I was after and she is just so, so pretty (except she looks all doofy in Amie).

Also, I have no idea how I won this battle, but it is by far the greatest thing I've done this week: UXTG-WWWW-WWW3-2HHQ

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Has anybody here tried out Harvest Sitrus Trevanent? I ran into one and it took ages to Toxic-stall the thing out. It seems like a much better exeggutor/tropius and I want to know if it works in practice.

Try out this set for a laugh.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Oh my God, you're a monster.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Holy poo poo.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-pokebankoubeta-63427173
I've been using a baton pass stall team with no directly damaging moves. People are getting very upset right now.

I'll post the instant replay when the match ends!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I'd argue for Horn Leech or Phantom Force over Curse because a Taunt could get really ugly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zoness posted:

I'd argue for Horn Leech or Phantom Force over Curse because a Taunt could get really ugly.

Curse is the whole gimmick of the set, though. You'd have to drop Leech Seed, most likely.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mawile (F) - Brave, Intimidate, 31\31\31\26\31\0

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I heard that Wish won't heal your rotated team mates in Rotation Battles anymore, is this true?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I've been using a baton pass stall team with no directly damaging moves. People are getting very upset right now.

This is at 135 turns with only one KO so far. My god.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

This is at 135 turns with only one KO so far. My god.

Does the other guy have pokemon with moves that make their stats go up?

Mr. Whale fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 19, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's going to be a sad day when that team runs up against a Tentacruel. :(

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

I can burn Tentacruel!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This set is so dumb and I love it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

Yeah, taunt and a few other things mess it up. Horn Leech instead of Curse is the standard set(along with earthquake instead of protect sometimes). But I love this as a gimmick. I originally ran into it under the name "RETURN THE SHRUB"

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

This is why I tell everyone who listens to always have something with Haze. :colbert:

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

The Legend of Baton rear end

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Smeargle @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Ingrain
- Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass
- King's Shield

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Yawn

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Amnesia
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Toxic

for the person who wanted it. I'm debating putting toxic spikes on smeargle and switching Gliscor out for a Drifblim who can burn/swagger/make huge subs, but Gliscor is super hard to kill, so...

ALEX TRILLTON fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is it of general consensus that the new Belly Drum + Aqua Jet sweeper Azumarill is overall better than Choice Banded revenge killer Azumarill? I've been putting together a team to trounce a friend who just loves using Mega Blaziken, and I was wondering if Belly Drum Azumarill would be worth it considering that.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Belly Drum because you can also use the killer Fairy physical attack too if you aren't worried about outspeeding the opponent and it is a good coverage move.

Belly Drum is only useful in singles though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

pandaK posted:

Is it of general consensus that the new Belly Drum + Aqua Jet sweeper Azumarill is overall better than Choice Banded revenge killer Azumarill? I've been putting together a team to trounce a friend who just loves using Mega Blaziken, and I was wondering if Belly Drum Azumarill would be worth it considering that.

Belly Drum is generally worse than Band. There are too many things that outspeed and can take an Aqua Jet to really sweep and there are better cleaners. Choice Band is also much better against Blaziken since it OHKOes with Aqua Jet straight off the bat without having to set up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

WrightOfWay posted:

Belly Drum is generally worse than Band. There are too many things that outspeed and can take an Aqua Jet to really sweep and there are better cleaners. Choice Band is also much better against Blaziken since it OHKOes with Aqua Jet straight off the bat without having to set up.

Ah, I hadn't actually done the damage calculations yet, that seals the deal for this team then. Thanks for that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GeckoMissingo posted:

Oh yeah, the happiness goes up the more levels they get. It won't work too well with safari caught ones.

Bah, I just want Togetic so I can breed them. :argh:

Lord of Pie posted:

For my happiness evos I just stuck one of those black binder clips on the dpad and did donuts around the Eiffel tower with the soothe bell on. It works even better for this purpose than it does for hatching eggs because you don't have any dialog boxes popping up to stop you.

I'm just gonna try this later for the safari Togepi. Ugh. I like the idea of happiness evolution, it's just a pain in the rear end to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Amnesia
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

I'd recommend a White Herb and Shell Smash over Amnesia.

• Locked thread