Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

This is so lovely, I love it. :arghfist:

No comment needed, I trust. :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Heh, fair enough.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sad lions posted:

They know there's the demand (regardless of my opinion of the work, I won't argue against there being a strong demand for it) and there is no reason not to have a later digital print release of their work to cater to the audience that missed their 'blink of an eye' sales earlier.
Not doing this is them maintaining the view of their work as being collector's items.
There is no reason not to do this other than keeping things as limited works to inflate their desirability beyond what it might otherwise be.
It's a really pompous and arrogant way to engage with their audience.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they got purged from the thread completely since we apparently can't discuss them without the personal insults and posting them without being able to have a discussion would be close to pointless.

Scary Ghost Dog, how many do you own?

I don't give a poo poo about mondo's stuff one way or the other but as an artist, I have to ask: what the gently caress makes you think you have any right to demand mondo makes their posters as widely available as possible? They made the loving things, its ultimately their call as to how many they produce or not. The reason why not to have a digital print release of their work is because they don't want to have a digital print release of their work. They are not required to cater to any-goddamn-one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

It still kind of pisses me off that I'll never own this poster, because it's amazing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

I don't give a poo poo about mondo's stuff one way or the other but as an artist, I have to ask: what the gently caress makes you think you have any right to demand mondo makes their posters as widely available as possible? They made the loving things, its ultimately their call as to how many they produce or not. The reason why not to have a digital print release of their work is because they don't want to have a digital print release of their work. They are not required to cater to any-goddamn-one.

Nor am I required to respect their standpoint. Being a creator is not a shield to scrutiny, nor is it existing in some objectivist's wet dream.
I don't demand a drat thing of them because I do not want anything they do or don't provide. I am, however, strongly implying that they're pretentious shitheels because of how they choose to function. They have all the right in the world to continue being that way and the people that dislike that have all the right in the world to tell them.

Besides, there's plenty of right to demand. They just don't have to listen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ratedargh posted:

Heh, fair enough.
Well, to be specific:

Check the obvious repetition of the textures (at the bottom of the title text, in the fake folds of the paper), the fact that MacReady looks like an apeman, the inexplicable decision to render only the explosives in bright white, the bizarrely noncommital choice of pose (how flaccid hangs the flamethrower!), the inordinate amount of detail in the station's silhouette compared to the protagonist (the base gets individual antennae, while the flamethrower in the foreground looks like a poo poo in a cup).... And it has nothing to do with the actual content of the film. It's real bad.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 19, 2013

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, to be specific:

Check the obvious repetition of the textures (at the bottom of the title text, in the fake folds of the paper), the fact that MacReady looks like an apeman, the inexplicable decision to render only the explosives in bright white, the bizarrely noncommital choice of pose (how flaccid hangs the flamethrower!), the inordinate amount of detail in the station's silhouette compared to the protagonist (the base gets individual antennae, while the flamethrower in the foreground looks like a poo poo in a cup).... And it has nothing to do with the actual content of the film. It's real bad.

Your complaints are all legitimate and well argued. Yet,as I look at the physical copy of my poster, I smile. I get your problems, but I still think has a decent theme of isolation largely present in the film. It doesn't try to do too much, but it also isn't some aside image like a leaky pack of blood that is far too specific for its own good. I can see your points re: textures and design of MacReady, but I still dig it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm going to steal an idea from BSS to keep this thread from petty arguments about Mondo:

:siren:THE NEXT TENFIVE POSTS MUST CONTAIN A MOVIE POSTER (preferably not a Mondo one) OR SOMEONE'S GETTING PROBATED.:siren:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That The Thing poster is really really terrible, from the crappy repeated textures on the awful typography-ed title to the lame :effort: livetracing to Mcready's scrunchy face. Also, why is he stoicly looming over that mountain and the base and stuff? He wasn't a particularly 'larger than life' character. Needs more sparks, I think.

edit: gently caress!

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 19, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Shia Lebouf's new movie wasn't very good but it has a nice poster:

The alternate though seems a bit too colourful.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Some cool stuff I've seen recently:

And a few I found and just thought wtf:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here's my penance for contributing to the derail:

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 19, 2013

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Apartment trilogy posters...for no real reason!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Not technically a movie poster, but I love the cover for Kino's release of Les Vampires.

Which is better than this one, for sure.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Ratedargh posted:

Bought a copy of this guy at a bookstore in Ho Chi Minh:

So does anyone else get a distinct "The Thing Lebowski" impression from this poster or is it just me?

Anyways, Hobbit: DoS megaposter!

It'll be neat seeing this thing in the theatre at some point in the near future, I'm sure.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sheldrake posted:

And a few I found and just thought wtf:

Man, turns out there were a lot of unused concept posters for Back to the Future. A lot of them involve some variation on Marty as "blown away '80s teen", but this one has a more sinister edge.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Erebus posted:

Man, turns out there were a lot of unused concept posters for Back to the Future. A lot of them involve some variation on Marty as "blown away '80s teen", but this one has a more sinister edge.

Guys, if these are your weirdest BTTF posters, you're seriously missing out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Here you have what I like to call The Mexican Adam Sandler and a badly photoshopped baby.

Translation:
"No refunds" (Or "no refunds accepted"),USA title: "Instructions Not Included"

"You are the best I didn't want to happen to me" (Or something like that, the tagline is also too long in Spanish,easy to forget)

No, I haven't seen the movie(I don't like this comedian). Yes, the plot sounds a lot like 3 men and a baby.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Glad to see the "red text on white background in a poster for a lovely comedy" trend is still alive and well in some parts of the world.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

That's the first thing I thought of too. I wonder if any goons actually saw that movie and if it's as bad as I imagine it is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor Bishop posted:

So does anyone else get a distinct "The Thing Lebowski" impression from this poster or is it just me?

Anyways, Hobbit: DoS megaposter!

It'll be neat seeing this thing in the theatre at some point in the near future, I'm sure.

So how big would a photoshop file have to be for something like this? I have a hard time sometimes saving some bigger files and shirt designs, this kind of thing would make my computer explode

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

You probably need a new computer? The last place I worked in, the boss made an large billboard without a problem(On Illustrator, of course). Also,I'm guessing this was put together only for the internet, so less DPI?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, going from 300dpi to 72dpi is going to put substantially less of a load on your computer.

P.S. Upgrade your steam powered piece of crap if it can't save t-shirt designs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Macaluso posted:

So how big would a photoshop file have to be for something like this? I have a hard time sometimes saving some bigger files and shirt designs, this kind of thing would make my computer explode

If I was making something similar to that in Photoshop you'd work on different visual segments in different files and only meld the thing together right at the end. The idea of creating that all in one giant file is bonkers.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If I was making something similar to that in Photoshop you'd work on different visual segments in different files and only meld the thing together right at the end. The idea of creating that all in one giant file is bonkers.

The man with the arousing avatar is right.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

:allears: That avatar.

But yeah, each piece was made separately in an updated computer, probably lowered to 72 dip and even resized, then put together.

Edit: And yes,listen to the advice of getting a new computer, I made a lovely magazine for a class, all images on 300dpi so the load was heavy. The laptop never exploded.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's also a crap yet strangely appropriate poster. Overlong, awful colour balancing, too many characters, everything in sharp focus - the designer just throwing as much stuff in as possible. Couldn't represent the film better!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

God drat this is an awesome poster :allears:

Almost makes me want to see the movie.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

scary ghost dog posted:

Mondo posters are typically beautiful works of art, but they do not meet rigorous goon standards so this:

is "too detailed" or "ORANGE AND BLUE!!" or "I don't know what this movie is about."
Does anyone have other examples of this kind of style? I'm not particularly thrilled about this poster (Weird combination of sketchiness, precise linework, and detail), but I would be interested in seeing more examples of the style, if only to get a better reference for this one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Erebus posted:

That logo would've been very unfortunate.

With all of the BTTF concepts, I really like how they tried to convey the whole 'being erased from existence' portion of the movie without overstating it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does anyone have other examples of this kind of style? I'm not particularly thrilled about this poster (Weird combination of sketchiness, precise linework, and detail), but I would be interested in seeing more examples of the style, if only to get a better reference for this one.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

This is the best possible poster. I love it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Heh, I didn't mean from the exact same set, but this one actually looks much better to me. The composition works, and the kaiju is far superior to the Jaeger.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The Saddest Rhino posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If anybody remembers this one-sheet that the MPAA forced cum stains to be removed from...

Well apparently other countries do not have such puritanical laws.

...at all

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why do you have a problem with armpits.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's funny that I had a little debate with myself for labeling that NWS or not. I guess mission accomplished.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The messed-up-sheets poster is the best one, anyway. Without all the quotes, credits and film festival honor nonsense it would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I genuinely couldn't see the stains for about two minutes there. Or is that the edited one and I'm imagining it?

What were those parody (?) posters Nikaer Drekin posted? They reminded me of the Lucas Lee movie posters from Scott Pilgrim. They were amazing.