Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not really an injury story, but I actually got suspended a game for something I did in a game on Monday. One of my linemates was going for a puck near the boards and the defensemen hit him hard from behind (it's a no-contact league) and sent him head first into the boards. I ran him over and totally left my feet to hit him, not in the head or anything, but as you can imagine that led to a lot of pushing and yelling between our teams. Looking back I think it might have been an accident on the part of the guy who hit my teammate, but it looked really bad and I just saw red. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I literally can't think of a situation where I'd take a run at someone. Maybe I'm a huge pussy but there just doesn't seem to be any situation that can be made better by trying to hurt someone else.

There was a bit of a shoving match in my game last Sunday, couple players disagreed with the amount of poking the goalie had to deal with after covering the puck and it resulted in a whole bunch of yelling and shoving. I just skated off and did slow circles at center ice until it resolved, that poo poo is just juvenile.

Both players got thrown off the ice for it and you could hear them both being yelled at by the commissioner from 50 feet away. I guess it worked because both of them spent the rest of the morning trying to apologize for being idiots.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I always try and convince my dmen not to take penalties on my account, but its ingrained with a lot of hockey culture that you go after someone who takes too many whacks at the goalie. My guys mostly listen to me about it now, when an opposing forward crosses the line, I have ways of getting back at him myself without drawing a penalty (assuming he finds himself in front of me later in the game). Shoving around the crease always ups the tension of the game and leads to more penalties as the refs try to regain control. But never once have I been called for slashing the poo poo out of the back of some rear end in a top hat's calves.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I always try and convince my dmen not to take penalties on my account, but its ingrained with a lot of hockey culture that you go after someone who takes too many whacks at the goalie. My guys mostly listen to me about it now, when an opposing forward crosses the line, I have ways of getting back at him myself without drawing a penalty (assuming he finds himself in front of me later in the game). Shoving around the crease always ups the tension of the game and leads to more penalties as the refs try to regain control. But never once have I been called for slashing the poo poo out of the back of some rear end in a top hat's calves.

The main issue I have with players shoving each other around the crease is that can lead to one of the players being pushed into or fall onto you. I had a defenseman get into a scrap and he shoved a guy only to have him crash into my head and I've had guys pushed into me while I'm in my butterfly. Both of those types of situations are really dangerous for the goaltender. I don't mind guys standing up for me, but most of the time I'd rather just move onto the next play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

19 goals scored in a game, people leaving their feet to deliver hits. This thread has taken a turn

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

19 goals scored in a game, people leaving their feet to deliver hits. This thread has taken a turn

We are all tryhards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you left your feet to deliver a hit you might fly right over guys like myself

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

But never once have I been called for slashing the poo poo out of the back of some rear end in a top hat's calves.

My goalie does this all the time. He is the leading cause for any pushing and shoving in the crease.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's one goalie I see a lot who loves to jab his stick into people's skates. I've screened him a few times and on each of them it's just a quick jab right into the heel of my blade holder.

He says it's funny, I suspect his tune will change if anyone ever topples backwards and lands on him.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

There's one goalie I see a lot who loves to jab his stick into people's skates. I've screened him a few times and on each of them it's just a quick jab right into the heel of my blade holder.

He says it's funny, I suspect his tune will change if anyone ever topples backwards and lands on him.

Thats when I fall on purpose.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

gently caress SHOOTOUTS

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AboveAndBeyond posted:

gently caress SHOOTOUTS

I'm sorry, were you one of the people I stoned today?

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
I witnessed the best series of saves I have ever seen tonight while reffing.

Goalie stacks the pads coming across the net and makes a save while losing his stick. As he is getting up and on one knee he makes a blocker save on a good wrist shot and the rebound bounces to the other side of the net. He dives head first across the net to make yet another save on that one. I was rather impressed from my blue line position.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A dude on the other team last night most likely broke his leg going into the boards. Caught an edge while trying to stop and just went hard into the boards. We had to wait a half-hour for the paramedics to come and wheel him off the ice. Nice dude too, I feel really bad for him.

We gave up the GTG with 15 seconds left in the game. I was 4th up in the shootout and needed to score to keep it going. Deked a couple times and was going to go high blocker. Instead, the puck rolled off the toe of my blade and I gently pushed a pass into the goalie's leg pad.

Beer league and all, but goddamn it feels :smith: to pull off a boner shot like that with the game on the line.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 18, 2013

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Beer league and all, but goddamn it feels :smith: to pull off a boner shot like that with the game on the line.

I know that feel. First ever shootout in my roller career. I could win it all on my attempt. I kept thinking to myself just keep it simple and take a good shot, the goalie wasn't that good. Instead I got into my head tried to pull off a deke and ended it flubbing it into his pad. On top of that it was on my BIRTHDAY! I could have been a real hero.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it wrong that I love it when my team does this? It's always fodder for 30 seconds which is so much more fun than sick dangles.

There is a dude in the beginner league here that has a jersey with "dangle dan" on the back of it. That guy is my hero.

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.
I'm so excited for tomorrow, I'll be playing center in my first ever game*. We worked on breakout last week and I know that in the defensive end it's my responsibility to support the strong side D man and the puck but what should I be doing and where should I be positioning myself in the neutral and offensive zones?

*it's more of a practice before we play competitively next week. We'll be playing another beginner team but the coaches will be on ice and stopping play when we inevitable gently caress everything up.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

AP Knight posted:

I'm so excited for tomorrow, I'll be playing center in my first ever game*. We worked on breakout last week and I know that in the defensive end it's my responsibility to support the strong side D man and the puck but what should I be doing and where should I be positioning myself in the neutral and offensive zones?

*it's more of a practice before we play competitively next week. We'll be playing another beginner team but the coaches will be on ice and stopping play when we inevitable gently caress everything up.

In the neutral zone, support the puck carrier. get in position for a pass or to make a play. If you are the 3rd forward in, look for a drop pass and try to draw focus away from the other player sneaking in.

In the offensive zone, it depends on your play scheme. Generally put yourself in a "scoring position" whether that is in between the dots, in front of the goalie, or covering for someone who has dropped out of position.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

AP Knight posted:

Iwhere should I be positioning myself in the neutral and offensive zones?

Centre is all about support. Constantly supporting the puck carrier wherever he his. Positions are more or less a place to line up on the draws anyway so don't psych yourself out too much about being your first time at centre. The only real difference between wing and centre is in the defensive end which you have already gone over.

Just keep in mind that when you leave that defensive end you want to be defensively supporting who has the puck. Be open for a pass if he gets in trouble but close enough to help him should he lose the puck.

Oh and if you find yourself losing a lot of draws then one of the best things to try out would be just tying up the other centre's stick and let somebody else come in and pick it up. It's much easier than picking off the puck as it's dropped if your not used to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

In the neutral zone, support the puck carrier

Since this wasn't made clear to me until fairly recently: this means be moving in a way that you can make an attempt to recover the puck if the guy with the puck fumbles it. Like if you pass to him, follow after your pass.

If someone else is doing that, get available for a pass so your team has an outlet option or build up a head of steam so you can get to the net when the puck crosses the blue line.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So I found out that the goalie that constantly hacks at me + crosschecks me from behind doesn't like me poking at the puck before the whistle blows and I should go play down where I belong.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

CMvan46 posted:

Oh and if you find yourself losing a lot of draws then one of the best things to try out would be just tying up the other centre's stick and let somebody else come in and pick it up. It's much easier than picking off the puck as it's dropped if your not used to it.

This.
One of the things I'm reminded by my coach is to not be hesitant to try new things on the faceoff. If something doesn't work twice in a row in a game, I try something else whether it be tying the guy up, forehand, backhand, etc.
Another good faceoff tip is to have an idea of who you're trying to put it to. Generally when I let my wingers or defensemen know on my way to the dot that I'm gonna try and get it to them, then we have a better play immediately after.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So this is my first Black Friday/Cyber Monday playing hockey. Are there usually sweet sales (either in store or online) that I should be taking advantage of?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockeygiant and others already have sales up, though MAP gear can't be discounted.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Good advice on faceoffs. You should go in with a plan. Hesitation or half changes once you're in the circle will usually result in a guaranteed loss.

Also you better let your wingers know you are tying the puck up if you are. Most beer league wingers are asleep. Best bet in that case is usually to use your feet to move the puck towards someone on your team. I like doing this on defensive zone faceoffs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My center fired a wrister into the side of my neck last night. Highly do not recommend it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

My center fired a wrister into the side of my neck last night. Highly do not recommend it.

Guess that nixes my plans this weekend...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Since this wasn't made clear to me until fairly recently: this means be moving in a way that you can make an attempt to recover the puck if the guy with the puck fumbles it. Like if you pass to him, follow after your pass.

Your coaches really told you this? That's kinda scary.

I mean I understand the idea of telling someone to follow their pass in order to encourage them to keep moving their feet and not watching the play, but you should really get open.

In your example you pass to a winger and then follow that winger. Let's assume a competent defensemen has forced the winger outside at the blue line. A standard play. You now have 2 people loaded at the blue line along the boards coming into the offensive zone with a defenseman able to make a play. Because you are on that side rather than spread out he has no one to pass to to keep the play onside. He's got to either make a pass behind him (difficult) and come back onside or beat that defensemen. A low percentage play. And the defenseman, knowing that his other defeseman has your far side winger who is breaking in, can commit hard to standing you up at the blue line. If you were a center and spread out he'd have to play the pass.

If you're further back in the neutral zone and someone steps up to make a play on your winger, if you are following the play you are likely going to get beat too, and their center is uncovered for a 2v2 into the zone, if not a 3v2 odd man rush.

Following the puck like that is a recipe for bunch ball, mite hockey. Center in the neutral zone should be supporting the puck carrier by getting open for a short distance, head man pass. If that player gets tied up or in a puck battle you are close enough to sweep over and help him or pick up the other team's player that got the puck.

HZ: Let's see that sweet bruise!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

poser posted:

So I found out that the goalie that constantly hacks at me + crosschecks me from behind doesn't like me poking at the puck before the whistle blows and I should go play down where I belong.
Goalies like this make net-front play fun. Hack him back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

I don't know why, but I never get bruises. It's pretty disappointing actually. I've taken a handful of slappers off the back of the calf and now this shot to the neck. Each time I was hoping for some wicked purple bruise, but it just ends up as a faint red mark for a day then fades away. Bummer.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

sellouts posted:

Refereeing last night I took a slap shot in the rear end when a guy tried to dump it in. B division too so these guys can shoot and my god does it hurt. Quite a bruise but I doubt anyone wants to see that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Your coaches really told you this? That's kinda scary.

I mean I understand the idea of telling someone to follow their pass in order to encourage them to keep moving their feet and not watching the play, but you should really get open.

For "this is my first game" beginners, yes that's what they say. The coaches admit they dumb down the game to match the quality of the players.. 50% of the people in the league are unable to make or catch a direct pass, so the coaches came up with different tactics to try and deal with it. As players/teams get better the instructions get more specific to better resemble actual hockey. I've been watching the system for almost a year now, and even if I don't do a good job conveying in forum posts it does seem to work well. The tactics of the top lines (and I use that term loosely, the best skaters in the league would have a hard time being effective in beer league) are night and day different from the tactics of lines composed of beginners.

I mean, on my game this past Sunday the coach spent two periods yelling at people to play their position and stop chasing the puck. Take the average of everyone playing and it basically is mite hockey.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

poser posted:

Pleads posted:

Goalies like this make net-front play fun. Hack him back.

Things that will piss off a hot head goalie;

Stand in his crease.
Face him, while you screen him.
Back your rear end into him.
Hack him.
Slash him.
Elbow him.
Spear him.

All of these would draw an interesting response from me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My favorite thing to do on goalies like that is score on them, and then do an over the top celebration while staring at them.

In other news, I had one of those "once a year" slapshot goals, skating in across the blueline and I wound up, their defensemen got out of the way real quick and I got 100% of the shot, rifled it top shelf, blasted the water bottle off of the net. Put us down 3-2 with like 5 minutes left.

Too bad we only had 8 skaters and no one had the legs to keep pressure, had we had 1 or 2 more guys we could have easily beaten them. We had 3 defensemen, one of them was skating on a sprained ankle and the other one is really out of shape so I basically played 3/4 of the game, so sore.

Took two punches to the face plus a two hander slash across the back of my legs and then the guy called me a fatass as he skated away. Also took a slapshot just below my elbow, still bruised through the elbow pad. Tough game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ If there's one thing I've noticed, "fatass" and "cocksucker" are 2 compound words that light the biggest loving fire in beer leaguers during trash talking. Fatass moreso when the guy clearly isn't fat, or if it's a goalie who is actually fat.

I just noticed that my Bronze and Silver B teams are a combined 16-3-1 for this season. I give all credit to the Jambox and Baby Snakes by Frank Zappa. Also Maiden.

My Silver team played the #1 team in the league on back-to-back weeks. Last week we beat them 3-2 in a shootout and last night we beat them 4-2 in regulation to take over the #1 spot. They have 2 losses this season and both from us. :feelsgood:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

For "this is my first game" beginners, yes that's what they say.

I mean, on my game this past Sunday the coach spent two periods yelling at people to play their position and stop chasing the puck. Take the average of everyone playing and it basically is mite hockey.

Fair enough, I just disagree with teaching players bad habits only to break them of it later, especially when the players are adults who can understand things better than 5 year olds. But to each their own.

Our league right now scheduled us this way (numbers are teams): 1,1,1,2,1,2,2,3,3,3. Why not 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1? Who knows!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm looking to get a new street hockey stick, something relatively inexpensive - ideally in the $20-30 range, wood shaft is fine. I play infrequently and casually. The problem I have is that I need a really long stick - I'm 6'10" so most street sticks I come across are too short. Are there any inexpensive but extra long sticks? Should I just get off my rear end and drive a few towns over to PureHockey?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm looking to get a new street hockey stick, something relatively inexpensive - ideally in the $20-30 range, wood shaft is fine. I play infrequently and casually. The problem I have is that I need a really long stick - I'm 6'10" so most street sticks I come across are too short. Are there any inexpensive but extra long sticks? Should I just get off my rear end and drive a few towns over to PureHockey?

I got a guy I play ice with at your height. I'll ask him Sunday if I catch him what he uses.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There aren't a lot of options in the $20 hockey stick space.

Your reasons for not wanting an expensive stick and not fitting the one size fits all philosophy in that space are all very reasonable, but if you need an extra long stick you probably need to buy a shaft, street hockey blade and an extender plug for the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

I know back about 5 years ago I worked in a sports shop and Sherwood makes an extra long wood stick that I don't remember the model number of anymore. Anyway you could hack the end off of that when it tears all up and put a street blade on it and you'd probably be good to go.