Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Streptovsky posted:

That's all personal preference. I, personally, don't like HTC's new design scheme or the new Sense UI.

Also they don't have the best hardware. The HTC One doesn't outclass the GS4 / GSN3

Okay, we get it. You don't like new HTC phones. You asked if people agreed with you and received a big "no." Obviously if you like having a replaceable battery, expandable storage, and the hardware of the GS4/GSN3 (?) then why wouldn't you just go ahead and get one of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Streptovsky posted:

The problem is they've taken the choice away from the consumer.

The consumer can't replace the battery themselves. They can't modify their own storage for their own needs.

Especially the battery part. IIRC the HTC One has the hardest battery to replace in the industry

Removable storage is half-baked as far as Android is concerned anymore (considering things like Rdio, Spotify, any Google service, etc. don't support it) and a vast majority of consumers have voted with their dollars to say that longer-lasting, non-removable batteries are preferred to user-replaceable ones.
The assumption that choice is universally preferred or better compared to a focused, singular experience is wrong. Notably, the one device with a singular focus on a smaller subset of functions (the iPhone) is the one that sells to a majority of people. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for devices that cater to smaller or different groups, but don't conflate "the consumer" with your needs.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Ugh, just confirmed that the Nexus 5 has a hosed up bluetooth implementation.

I got a LG Tone 730 headset and paired it up to my N5. It either shoots the volume all the way to the top, where it sticks, or it fixes the volume between the headset and the phone, so that the headset volume controls control the on-device volume. And volume down all the way is super loud.

I was gonna blame the headset, but it worked fine on a GS3, a 2013 n7 (4.3), a nexus 4 (4.3), and an iPhone 5. The headset is fine.

People complaining about it here. Apparently, tech support has either been having people reset their phones (doesn't work), or blaming play store apps. Multiple people (me too) have confirmed it's a systemwide gently caress up, and Google is really the one to blame. Nice.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/dsf7hQPesds

BlazedLobster
Nov 9, 2013
Does anyone have any experience with chinese phones? I've been seeing some pretty cool ones, like the Lenovo A820, and for under 100 pounds it looks like a steal. Any experience? I'm kinda looking for one with a big userbase, so that there is more support after buying the phone, as shipping it back to china doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do if something's wrong.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

BlazedLobster posted:

Does anyone have any experience with chinese phones? I've been seeing some pretty cool ones, like the Lenovo A820, and for under 100 pounds it looks like a steal. Any experience? I'm kinda looking for one with a big userbase, so that there is more support after buying the phone, as shipping it back to china doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do if something's wrong.

Since you have thrown out the opportunity of receiving any kind of warranty/RMA support, you kinda answered your own question. A $100 phone with a 50% chance of failing is a $200 phone when you have to replace/repair it. Still sound like a good deal?

And no, there will be no developer community for a throw-away piece of junk. Not even android developers are that dumb.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Streptovsky posted:

jorts?

Also, most people actually. Phone batteries begin to deteriorate at around the 12-15 month range and you can't upgrade in a contract until 18-22 months in. And why should you have to get something to carry around extra when normally you'd just be able to buy a new battery and slot it in?

That's a compromise.
As someone who bought a N4 on release day as well as an N5 on release day (and N7 2012 / N7 2013 on release days as well), 12 months is enough.

Civil posted:

I got a LG Tone 730 headset and paired it up to my N5. It either shoots the volume all the way to the top, where it sticks, or it fixes the volume between the headset and the phone, so that the headset volume controls control the on-device volume. And volume down all the way is super loud.

I was gonna blame the headset, but it worked fine on a GS3, a 2013 n7 (4.3), a nexus 4 (4.3), and an iPhone 5. The headset is fine.

People complaining about it here. Apparently, tech support has either been having people reset their phones (doesn't work), or blaming play store apps. Multiple people (me too) have confirmed it's a systemwide gently caress up, and Google is really the one to blame. Nice.
Have the same issue with N5/Tone combo. I expect it to get fixed in 4.4.1. I can live without the headphones until then. It works fine with my ancient stereo bluetooth stereo in my car. If that was broke I would be very annoyed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 19, 2013

BlazedLobster
Nov 9, 2013

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Since you have thrown out the opportunity of receiving any kind of warranty/RMA support, you kinda answered your own question. A $100 phone with a 50% chance of failing is a $200 phone when you have to replace/repair it. Still sound like a good deal?

And no, there will be no developer community for a throw-away piece of junk. Not even android developers are that dumb.

Chill out dude, no need to be all agressive and witty. There are many positive reviews for this kind of hardware, and I've heard about developers supporting phones for the most used chinese brands, I came to ask if anyone had more info on it, that's it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BlazedLobster posted:

I bought a Blu Life Play a while back, heck of a phone for $200. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap (non Moto G) phone. http://www.gsmarena.com/blu_life_play-5359.php The only thing that sucks is surprisingly there is no rom community for it yet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BlazedLobster posted:

Chill out dude, no need to be all agressive and witty. There are many positive reviews for this kind of hardware, and I've heard about developers supporting phones for the most used chinese brands, I came to ask if anyone had more info on it, that's it.

Welcome to jort city where the only correct answer is the Nexus 5.

Its an angry spergy bunch round here.

And no, do not ever buy a cheap Chinese knockoff Android phone. Its only asking for trouble software wise.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Civil posted:

I use a Samsung HM3500 and don't have any volume issues.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

BlazedLobster posted:

Don't buy a cheap chinese phone you idiot. There are plenty of inexpensive phones you could buy that work magnitudes better that also won't be riddled with hardware and software issues. The Nexus 4 is like $200 now and there are plenty of other decent android phones around that price range.

But I know you aren't going to listen so I helped do some research for you. Here's some of the fun stuff you can expect from that phone: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47345200&postcount=565 (thread)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BlazedLobster posted:

hotsauce posted:

Welcome to jort city where the only correct answer is the Nexus 5.

Its an angry spergy bunch round here.

And no, do not ever buy a cheap Chinese knockoff Android phone. Its only asking for trouble software wise.

You guys know that Lenovo is a huge computer hardware manufacturer and not a street stall in the middle of Chinatown right? :psyduck:

That said, I haven't heard of any of my Chinese relatives using a Lenovo phone. People usually use oppo is they're not getting a Galaxy, HTC something or another or an iPhone. Even Chinese people know well enough to stay away from random brands. Despite Lenovo not being a random brand I still don't you'll much in the way of a dev community.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depending on the time of year, Lenovo is bigger than Dell or HP. If they're not currently the largest PC manufacturer, they're in the top three. Lenovo's been making tablets since at least 2010, so I can't imagine a 5"phone being outside of their ability. Like Apple, they have their own in house, dedicated consumer electronics design division; they don't just buy warmed over Foxconn designs.

That said, the few lenovo tablets I've seen in person only rated about an 8, but that was two generations back.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Civil posted:

Hmmm, I have a Sony Ericsson MW-600 (as recommended on the previous thread) and it's not giving me any volume issues.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Removable storage is half-baked as far as Android is concerned anymore (considering things like Rdio, Spotify, any Google service, etc. don't support it) and a vast majority of consumers have voted with their dollars to say that longer-lasting, non-removable batteries are preferred to user-replaceable ones.
The assumption that choice is universally preferred or better compared to a focused, singular experience is wrong. Notably, the one device with a singular focus on a smaller subset of functions (the iPhone) is the one that sells to a majority of people. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for devices that cater to smaller or different groups, but don't conflate "the consumer" with your needs.

I'd like to know how you consider the iPhone something that sells to the majority. Their market share is less than 18% of smartphones, with Android leading over 60%.

Civil posted:

poo poo that sucks man. I have an LG Tone it's an awesome headset.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
The Galaxy Round seems interesting but I'm having a hard time finding a place that sells/demos them in the UK. Is this a Korea only device?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Streptovsky posted:

I'd like to know how you consider the iPhone something that sells to the majority. Their market share is less than 18% of smartphones, with Android leading over 60%.
Not in the US:

Which I'm assuming is what sleepwalkers is talking about. At any rate, Android does outsell iPhones all over the world, but a huge number of these Android phones is just cheap crap phones and the people who buy them don't even think about stuff like SD cards or whatever. They just want a smartphone and they buy whatever they can afford. To assume that market share has anything to do with preference for a couple of features (like removable batteries, etc) is kind of silly imo. And that goes both ways. People don't buy iPhones because they want a phone with no SD card slot or removable battery, they buy iPhones because they want iPhones. It says nothing about consumer preference beyond that.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

Not in the US:

Which I'm assuming is what sleepwalkers is talking about. At any rate, Android does outsell iPhones all over the world, but a huge number of these Android phones is just cheap crap phones and the people who buy them don't even think about stuff like SD cards or whatever. They just want a smartphone and they buy whatever they can afford. To assume that market share has anything to do with preference for a couple of features (like removable batteries, etc) is kind of silly imo. And that goes both ways. People don't buy iPhones because they want a phone with no SD card slot or removable battery, they buy iPhones because they want iPhones. It says nothing about consumer preference beyond that.

That was never my point though.

I'm not just talking about my preference. I work in this industry, 90% of customers I talk to that want an android phone hate that the HTC One doesn't have removable storage or battery.

It's also a big thing with ease of use and access. If you've got an SD Card in your phone and you get a new phone, you can export your contacts to your SD card, download an app that saves your texts to your SD card if you want to save them, and pop the card into a new phone and bam, everything is there again. Contacts, pictures, texts, video, music, etc. Otherwise you need a machine to transfer it all, and it's a longer process.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished iPhones had SD cards, or even a proprietary removable storage thing made only for iPhones, when we've had to transfer pictures from iPhone to iPhone and there are 4,000+ pictures.

Not even kidding you one time I had a customer with over 15,000 text messages and 8,000 pictures to transfer. It took all day on our machine. Literally, all day. They came in around noon (we opened at 10) and it was finished at like 8:30

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I will never understand the need for sms backups. Are these people really gonna read those 5 year old text messages ever again? That is some serious hoarder poo poo.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Streptovsky posted:

It's also a big thing with ease of use and access. If you've got an SD Card in your phone and you get a new phone, you can export your contacts to your SD card, download an app that saves your texts to your SD card if you want to save them, and pop the card into a new phone and bam, everything is there again. Contacts, pictures, texts, video, music, etc. Otherwise you need a machine to transfer it all, and it's a longer process.
The idea is that you keep all of this poo poo in the cloud.

I understand why some people don't want to do that, but that's how these devices are designed.

Google/Android can back up everything you list except SMS messages, and those are just as easy to back up and restore regardless of external storage.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Streptovsky posted:

I'm not just talking about my preference. I work in this industry, 90% of customers I talk to that want an android phone hate that the HTC One doesn't have removable storage or battery.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished iPhones had SD cards, or even a proprietary removable storage thing made only for iPhones, when we've had to transfer pictures from iPhone to iPhone and there are 4,000+ pictures.

Not even kidding you one time I had a customer with over 15,000 text messages and 8,000 pictures to transfer. It took all day on our machine. Literally, all day. They came in around noon (we opened at 10) and it was finished at like 8:30

Really? Because I just left "The industry" and nobody cared other than nerds. Moms, Dads, And the normal masses could give 2 shits it seems. Normal rational people have no problem taking their iPhone home and transfering 8000 photos to the PC. In fact, We encouraged customers to bring in laptops so we could show them how. That way the cellebrite wasnt tied up for 8 hours Shocking right?

Im sorry but you must deal with the worst customers ever if you really have "every customer" complaining about removable storage with thousands and thousands and thousands of photos they have yet to back up. In 6 years of wireless, I had a grand total of 10 people that really gave 2 shits. 1 of which KNEW it was going to take 8 hours, KNEW how to do it, But came to me to buy whatever new iPhone was out because she came to visit her mother or something. So she never had a computer to do it with her and well, she brought redbull, pizza, and bought an epic poo poo ton of things every time so pretty much she hung out pressing the button while I helped other people. Plus it helped she didnt expect it, at all, and knew we could say no if we wanted to. Awesome Dr Lady from out of state. Customers like that rock btw.

I guess my ramble is this.

Theres no way, You have that many customers with this issue. And if you do, your store does a lovely job of educating customers on how to backup things themselves.

bronin posted:

I will never understand the need for sms backups. Are these people really gonna read those 5 year old text messages ever again? That is some serious hoarder poo poo.

Some people need them for legal reasons but still want to trade there phone in. Custody battles and poo poo. Beyond that? gently caress if I know. People are crazy about text messages.

Tunga posted:

The idea is that you keep all of this poo poo in the cloud.

I understand why some people don't want to do that, but that's how these devices are designed.

Google/Android can back up everything you list except SMS messages, and those are just as easy to back up and restore regardless of external storage.

Yup and pretty much every phone can do this any time they are on WiFi, which they have to be using to some extent if they actually use the phone and are on tiered data. You know. like normal customers.

SD cards suck. I've lost so much data off of them because they simply died at total random and I was all "I DONT NEED CLOUD I GOT SD CARDS!". The day I switched to just letting the cloud do its thing, was the say I stopped caring and stopped losing poo poo.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I have a Samsung S3 and I updated to 4.3 like a week ago and now the battery life sucks, it freezes, and sometimes shuts off altogether. Some Googling tells me lots of people are having problems. I loved the performance before the update. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait for 4.4?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BlazedLobster posted:

There might be MIUI ports available, but if you don't read Chinese and browse their phone forums, you might be stuck with what you get. Why don't you just get a Moto G? It's like 135 GBP and probably leaps and bounds better.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
"90% of my customers hate phones without removable storage" is one of the dumbest and most blatant lies I've heard in quite a while.

My favorite piece of actual data on SD card usage comes straight from Brian Klug, who has said on many occasions that the vast majority of users don't even INSTALL the memory card, let alone use it. OEMs have told him that unless the card is installed at the factory it's probably wasted.

So I don't know where this paradise of tech-savvy but cloud-shunning users could be found.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

My favorite piece of actual data on SD card usage comes straight from Brian Klug, who has said on many occasions that the vast majority of users don't even INSTALL the memory card, let alone use it. OEMs have told him that unless the card is installed at the factory it's probably wasted.
I would love to think that this is true but if you're going to use the term "actual data", I think you are somewhat mandated to post, well, the actual data.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FistEnergy posted:

So I don't know where this paradise oftech-savvy but cloud-shunning users could be found.

Kinda hard to use the *~cloud~* the way Google wants people to when you have a 2GB data plan.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
So SD cards are preference, but everyone who thinks you don't need a removable battery must not live in a warmer climate. One summer is enough to halve the battery life of every phone I have ever had. Being outside in 100 degree weather will destroy a battery, because if you actually use the device it still heats up over ambient temperature. So instead of using your phone and having it be 80 or 90 degrees inside the phone in the perfect climate everyone apparently lives in it will be 120 to 140, and the battery decides life isn't worth living anymore.

Non removable battery is the number one gripe I hear from friends, because it needs replacing every year just so the phone won't die after 5 hours of standby.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

whatever7 posted:

Do you guys get the feeling that the phone hardware specs wars is getting less and less important in the last 1-2 years?

Yea, all the hullabaloo seems to be about features and not speed/memory/chips. That's good news though for this generation of phones as it means hopefully poo poo won't be slow and annoying by the end of a contract.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just chiming in that I just picked up an S4 because my Note 2 was just getting intolerably huge. Aside from the ATT-4.3-MJ9 update and bootloader locking fuckery, I'm extremely pleased.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Kinda hard to use the *~cloud~* the way Google wants people to when you have a 2GB data plan.

Or a 500MB plan...

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

my Note 2 was just getting intolerably huge

Was it growing or something?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

igv9 posted:

So SD cards are preference, but everyone who thinks you don't need a removable battery must not live in a warmer climate. One summer is enough to halve the battery life of every phone I have ever had. Being outside in 100 degree weather will destroy a battery, because if you actually use the device it still heats up over ambient temperature. So instead of using your phone and having it be 80 or 90 degrees inside the phone in the perfect climate everyone apparently lives in it will be 120 to 140, and the battery decides life isn't worth living anymore.

Non removable battery is the number one gripe I hear from friends, because it needs replacing every year just so the phone won't die after 5 hours of standby.
Where I live it gets over 100 in the summer and below 0 in the winter. In 2011 we had 53 days over 100. I've never heard anyone complain about this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Wow, an argument so stupid it's listed in the OP.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
He is right though. It makes a big difference in the internal temperature, it was enough a couple years ago here I saw a friends iPhone shut itself off after warning of the temperature, and all he did was open Facebook.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The only issue I've ever had with the heat is that my phone will stop charging until a reboot when it's sitting in the sun and running a heavy app like Navigation.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

Was it growing or something?

Pretty much. I guess the point was that I expected myself to be in more situations where the large screen was worth having. After a year, I found myself wishing my phone was smaller in a lot more situations where I felt it was appropriate. The S4 just feels like the perfect size for everything I want to do with a phone.

Plus : any time you pull it out at the bar there's always some rear end in a top hat who has never seen one before and has to see / hold / comment about it.

yes. my phone is obnoxiously huge.
it's a samsung note 2.
no. i'm not compensating for anything.
i bought it because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
thank you for your interest, Cletus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

big mean giraffe posted:

He is right though. It makes a big difference in the internal temperature, it was enough a couple years ago here I saw a friends iPhone shut itself off after warning of the temperature, and all he did was open Facebook.

That's different from saying that, as a matter of course, living in such weather halves the life of your battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the hell people need *anything* to transfer contacts between phones? It's maybe kind of a pain going from an iPhone to an Android if you only ever used iCloud, but every smartphone can uses Google contacts without an issue. An SD card is totally unnecessary for that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Streptovsky posted:

If you keep iCloud backups, your texts/photos/calls/videos/contacts get restored. Way better option than SD cards. Google also does similar, short of the texts and calls (which are simple enough, or were before 4.4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

What the hell people need *anything* to transfer contacts between phones? It's maybe kind of a pain going from an iPhone to an Android if you only ever used iCloud, but every smartphone can uses Google contacts without an issue. An SD card is totally unnecessary for that.
I'm not sure if they still do this, but some OEM/carrier "enhancements" defaulted to storing contacts on the device only and want you to use the carrier's backup solution.

• Locked thread