Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Photos are serious. Old houses are serious. Pleasure is a myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

the hodag posted:

I did a shoot with a bride after her wedding at a cool old house.

IMG_6792 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_6841 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_6828 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_6485 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_6672 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

All of these feel more influenced by the location than by the the subject or context, which I feel is the oppposite of how you should approach portraits. The bride is the point of the wedding photos, not brooding window dressing for a cool setting.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

mr. mephistopheles posted:

All of these feel more influenced by the location than by the the subject or context, which I feel is the oppposite of how you should approach portraits. The bride is the point of the wedding photos, not brooding window dressing for a cool setting.

I would second this. You have a good sense of location but direction is often lacking I think. It's OK to have interesting "uncomfortable" portraits but these smack more of her being acutely aware of the camera and just feeling a bit awkward.

There's a shot in that set where you've positioned her really far away, framed by the doorway. The comp is fantastic but the pose is totally at odds with what you've set up, which is a shame because it was almost really good.

Now I sort of want to see you do a big, coherent photo series of unhappy brides in isolated settings.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

Now I sort of want to see you do a big, coherent photo series of unhappy brides in isolated settings.

It's the only way to save them. He has no choice now.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I made a ghetto-as-gently caress Peter Hurley headshot lighting rig last weekend out of cardboard and tinfoil.

P1120624.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Villi by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Anne by fuglsnef, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

David Pratt posted:

I made a ghetto-as-gently caress Peter Hurley headshot lighting rig last weekend out of cardboard and tinfoil.

P1120624.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Villi by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Anne by fuglsnef, on Flickr

catch eye is awesome! I've never been a huge fan of white background, always find it hard to look at the subjects but that's just a personal opinion.

I've been trying some new basic lightning techniques myself.

IMG_9037-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9003 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8973-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

xenilk posted:

catch eye is awesome! I've never been a huge fan of white background, always find it hard to look at the subjects but that's just a personal opinion.

I've been trying some new basic lightning techniques myself.

IMG_9037-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9003 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8973-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

That first one's a bit blown out in the highlights to my eye, but I am perversely sensitive to that and my style has evolved into a sort of low contrast thing that some people hate, so maybe I'm being picky.

Processing-wise, I think the bottom two could do with the blacks upped by 2 (if you're using Lightroom) or 2% in selective colour in PS.

Maybe just 1 notch on the bottom one. Maybe get rid of that crease in the bg on the second one? I also have an aversion to studio where you can see the creases / folds in the curtain etc.

Picking aside, good stuff. Good posing and comp on that dude.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Gazmachine posted:

That first one's a bit blown out in the highlights to my eye, but I am perversely sensitive to that and my style has evolved into a sort of low contrast thing that some people hate, so maybe I'm being picky.

Processing-wise, I think the bottom two could do with the blacks upped by 2 (if you're using Lightroom) or 2% in selective colour in PS.

Maybe just 1 notch on the bottom one. Maybe get rid of that crease in the bg on the second one? I also have an aversion to studio where you can see the creases / folds in the curtain etc.

Picking aside, good stuff. Good posing and comp on that dude.

I'll test out the black upped by two in LR when I come home! :) I kind of like the crease/imperfection of the studio I thought it was giving it a bit of texture, do you think it makes sense ? I'll try cleaning it up to see the difference.

First one is definitively blown up, thanks for pointing it out. I will try to retouch it, I liked the lightning feel but I'll give it another run at post-processing, see how I can make the vibe a bit better.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yeah I mean it's not "wrong", I'm just forcing my personal tastes upon you, ha. Same with the bg: I just feel like it looks like a mistake. Like if it was all textured like that then it would be clearer to the viewer that it was on purpose, if you get me? To me, it seems like an accident.

Again I'm just nitpicking to gently caress :)

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

Gazmachine posted:

There's a shot in that set where you've positioned her really far away, framed by the doorway. The comp is fantastic but the pose is totally at odds with what you've set up, which is a shame because it was almost really good.

What kind of pose would you have gone with in that image? I mostly shoot weddings so I'm used to posing two people together and I struggle when it's just one person.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Well the setting is so unusual that I feel like the pose should match. Something more head on than what we have there to complement the composition; I'm seeing one large frame then a smaller frame within in which our subject is placed. If she was facing us dead on, that would add a third symmetrical structure to the pattern and would make the comp feel stronger and more satisfying.

The feeling I get from that shot is that she's being shot by someone else in that room and you're taking a candid from far away. It's a cool idea though, and makes me realise I need a remote trigger.

Again, it's not wrong,but I personally don't feel as if there was a clear idea with this shot. If you WERE set on this pose, I think it would have worked perfectly if she were further to the left, looking into the frame. Basically, that lit area is your frame.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Ive been using a bare flash, in your face technique, its working out quite well.

7/13/2003, Lake Oswego by Ashade76, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-872 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-873 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-876 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-879 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-874 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I'm having a hard time picking the good ones out. Granted this is my Daughter and I like almost all of the photos I take of her.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd say 1,3 and 5 are the strongest. In general I'd pull back a little on the dodging/burning, especially on her eyes and in #3 where the dodging on her dress is pulling focus away from her face. I think for the look you're trying to achieve with these, muting the tones that aren't important to the focal points will go a long way: right now her socks are brighter than her face and it's pretty distracting.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Compositionally all really nice and they are full of character and capture the spirit of her, which is what you want.

I immediately noticed the overdone eyes, before I'd finished scrolling the images into view. You don't need to do it, or, if you do, you only need a third of that dodging at most.

In fact, sack most of the processing off completely.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Were you using a reflector at all, or is all the lighting work done in post? The first one is great.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It was all post. I didn't bring anything with me, just went for a walk with her and she wanted me to take her photo. I should train her brother to be an assistant and hold the reflector, ha ha.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

All those resources and you ain't using them! Get him to work.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Musket posted:

Ive been using a bare flash, in your face technique, its working out quite well.

7/13/2003, Lake Oswego by Ashade76, on Flickr

Is it? Can you elaborate?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eyes aren't in focus mang.

That's a dope scarf.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumb beginner question: when both eyes aren't in the focus plane, what should one do? Get one in focus? The closest one? Make sure the focus plane is deep enough to hold both?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

bolind posted:

Dumb beginner question: when both eyes aren't in the focus plane, what should one do? Get one in focus? The closest one? Make sure the focus plane is deep enough to hold both?

I think there will be some personal preference on this, but I think a photo is usually stronger when both eyes are in focus. If that doesn't jive with your shallow depth of field concept or whatever, I think it generally looks best if the closest eye is in focus.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

Eyes aren't in focus mang.

Close enough, okay??

:sigh:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

bolind posted:

Do whatever you think looks cool. Who cares.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
If only one eye is in focus I think it usually looks strange if the one closest to the camera is oof.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Your focus should be such that people are more like abstract human-shaped blobs of color.

Look at those loving branches. Way more interesting than an eye. Everybody has eyes, who cares.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

aliencowboy posted:

I second this motion.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Is it? Can you elaborate?

aliencowboy posted:

:snoop:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well I care, tbh. Because in a thread dedicated to the discussion and criticism of portrait photography I like to hear about the concept that lead up to the execution. v:shobon:v

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Does the chin squished like this ruin the photo for you? I didnt realize she was posed like this until it was too late. Just wanted the dorkrooms thoughts.

Sarah by francography, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

somnambulist posted:

Does the chin squished like this ruin the photo for you? I didnt realize she was posed like this until it was too late. Just wanted the dorkrooms thoughts.

Sarah by francography, on Flickr

It's a loving kid, it's okay. If the subject is an adult and is going to dislike it, then maybe worry about it, but if someone that kid's age is already worrying about it, I feel bad for her.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

RangerScum posted:

It's a loving kid, it's okay. If the subject is an adult and is going to dislike it, then maybe worry about it, but if someone that kid's age is already worrying about it, I feel bad for her.

I....think I hit a nerve. Haha. I'm talking about portraiture in general, I'm not suggesting her mom is going to hate the photo because of it. My question is more about general posing and if things like this ruin a portrait to you. I'm not suggesting she looks awful or anything :p

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

somnambulist posted:

I....think I hit a nerve. Haha. I'm talking about portraiture in general, I'm not suggesting her mom is going to hate the photo because of it. My question is more about general posing and if things like this ruin a portrait to you. I'm not suggesting she looks awful or anything :p

Oh, well if you are doing beauty shots then people usually don't like their necks to look fat. I was just trying to say that yes, people don't usually like it, but hopefully kids aren't aware enough to care, and ditto for their parents.

It'd be a different story if the girl was overweight like that little Michelin Man girl who was on the Ricky Lake show forever ago that blew up on the internet.

I think it seemed like I was more angry because I used "loving" because I hadn't hit my quota for swears for the day, I don't really care much at all. :)

Brodieanalog
Apr 16, 2007
Something I shot this week

Untitled by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

And when the dust all settles and the story is told History is made by the side of the road by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I really like your color palate in the second one, but you're having some real issues with the model existing in the location. I think she's sitting on a rock, but I only sort of guessed that by process of elimination because the foreground is obscuring her so much. Also it rather looks like her legs are floating/composited into the background. Now that I mention it, you've got the same issue in the first one as well.

As a pair, these are far too similar to work together. I don't know if a pair was your intention but it's what you posted so that's all I can go by. Her pose very close in both, only mirrored. Even her hand position is the same, can't see her feet, etc.

These are strong in technique, but you're missing a lot of details that would elevate them imo. My biggest piece of advice would be to let the model exist in and interact with the location. Going on location isn't just a substitute for a seamless backdrop, it's an element of the narrative- an element that feels missing from these.

EDIT: I like the lighting in the second one, it works really well in the scene and adds drama without overpowering the scene. The lighting in the first one is way harsh and definitely overpowers the scene.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 22, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I dislike the second for the reasons above, but I like the first one a lot. And I like the harsh lighting in the first, although it could maybe be toned down slightly. The second feels like all of the highlights are smashed down into nothing and it feels really flat and her eyes are almost completely lost.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

IMG_5086.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I spent a few weeks reading through most of this thread, there is some great stuff in here.

My main goal for now is to spend much more time shooting people and really working on improving the portrait skills. With that in mind, harsh CC is welcome.

There is so much to learn, not just about the lighting but your interaction with the subject and directing poses etc. For me the latter is the hardest so far... Luckily I have one willing model but will have to start hassling friends to get some variety.

Portrait-2 by s d photo, on Flickr

Missed the focus on the eye closest to the camera on this one.

Portrait-3 by s d photo, on Flickr

Portrait-1 by s d photo, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

deaders posted:

I spent a few weeks reading through most of this thread, there is some great stuff in here.

My main goal for now is to spend much more time shooting people and really working on improving the portrait skills. With that in mind, harsh CC is welcome.

There is so much to learn, not just about the lighting but your interaction with the subject and directing poses etc. For me the latter is the hardest so far... Luckily I have one willing model but will have to start hassling friends to get some variety.

Portrait-2 by s d photo, on Flickr

Missed the focus on the eye closest to the camera on this one.

Portrait-3 by s d photo, on Flickr

Portrait-1 by s d photo, on Flickr

These are generally nice, but you sure do like to have your model looking in camera out of the extreme corner of her eye. It's really awkward. A good guideline to use is that you should be able to see whites of the eyes on either side of the iris. Of course rules are made to be broken, but it's not working here- especially the last two.