Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm currently going nuts over Navajo Wars. It's an incredibly clever and fun solo system that depicts the trials of the Navajo people from 1598-1864 as they attempt to keep their culture intact from the time of the arrival of the Spanish up to the end of the Navajo Wars. This if my first long-form game session write-up, so please excuse the clunkiness.

Here's the board at the start of the scenario "Rise of the People".

I have 3 families (A, B, C), 3 elders, and no resources. I also have the Level 1 Cunning Cultural Development card in play permanently.

I draw the first card. It's an Operations card.

Each Operations card is performed from the top down. First, the Operations segment provides AP to the Enemy and gives the player the option to pre-empt the Enemy for n AP to go first. Otherwise, the Enemy goes first, and (usually) gets more AP.

I have 3 AP to start with, so I spend 2 and pre-empt. I can choose to perform one of three available Operations: Planning, Take Actions, or Passage of Time. I won't really be going over what these are in this session report; if you're interested the rules are available to download at GMT's website.

I choose the Take Actions Operation as I want to come out swinging with some raids into New Mexico, and possibly get started on agriculture - my people will need to eat during the Passage of Time phase.

Because I have 3 elders and 1 family in the Canyon de Chelly Territory I can activate up to 4 families to Take Actions. I only have 3, so they all activate. Extra activation points don't carry over. I activate Family A first. I have 6 MPs (6 base minus 1 per missing family member) and choose to Raid New Mexico. This will cost 1 MP per space between the Family A marker and the Sante Fe space. In this case, it will take 4 MPs to make the raid. If the family had a horse, or if there were a horse marker in the Resources pool to take, I would use the numbers in parenthesis instead and it would only take 3 MPs.

If I were out of range for a basic Raid New Mexico action, I could have the family spend all of its MPs on (and only on) and Long Range Raid on New Mexico action.

I resolve the Raid by pulling one cube from the Raid Pool; a pouch of differently colored cubes seeded based on scenario rules. I pull a white cube (Sheep Stolen!) and, per the Raid Table, put a sheep counter into the Resources box and increase the Ferocity of Family A by 1. The cube goes into the Raided Cubes box on the map.

Family A still has 2 MP, so it moves from Area 3 to Area 2 and the cost of 2 MPs. The MP cost is the cost of the moved-to Area's value. Outposts and Forts can add MP costs to this base amount. If it comes up, I'll discuss it. The Ferocity rating is a DRM modifier for battle rolls. Each Ferocity increase also decreases the Evasion rating by 1 to a minimum of -1. If your family is not battle ready and needs to Evade an Enemy Raid, this can be a very bad thing.

Family A is out of MPs so it's on to Family B. They receive 6 MPs as well and decide to Plant Corn. Corn is used to feed your family members and elders. It can also be converted to Trade Goods at a ratio of 6:1. I'll discuss Trade Goods when they come up. To be effective, planted corn must be Harvested. This is another possible action, and I'll explain it when it comes up. This action costs Family B all 6 MPs (4 base + Area value [2] = 6).

Family C gets 6 MPs and decides to utilize the Tribal Council action to gain an AP. This action requires that the Family not have spent any MPs yet and costs all available MPs. It also requires a die roll. If the result is >= the Area's value, the council is a success. In this case, the Area value is 1, so it's an automatic success. The Dine have 2 APs going into the Enemy Operations phase.

Enemy Ops
First we determine Enemy AP. The base amount is on the Ops card (2). Certain things can modify this. In this case, I have 1 cube in the Raided Cubes box, so the Enemy loses 1 AP. As this would give the Enemy 0 APs, they get the minimum of 1.

Next, we roll the dice to see if any of the Enemy Instruction counters flip or change positions. This is one of the most interesting parts of the game. The Enemy Instruction area is the AI for the game. The topmost Active Enemy Instruction is performed as long as the Enemy has APs enough to perform the action. If there are AP left over after the first action is completed, the next one down is performed (again, if the Enemy has enough AP) and so on. Extra AP is left in the AP Available box. In other words, eventually the Enemy will pull off that horrifying Raid 11 action!

Following the resolution of the played actions, the remaining actions will move up the chart and the played actions will go to the bottom of the Active column. Additionally, before APs are spent for Enemy actions, we roll two dice and possibly change positions of action counters from the Standby to Active column or flip the counter from one side to the other.

I roll two dice and get a 5 and a 1. As I didn't roll doubles, I flip the counters in spaces 1 and 5 to their opposite sides. Since the Subjugate 2 counter has a stripe on it, I don't flip it, but the Build 3 counter in space 5 flips to Colonize 3.

The Enemy has 1 AP and the Subjugate action takes 2 AP to perform, so no enemy action happens this turn, but they do get to keep that AP!

Next, the Major Action on the Op card is performed. I have to flip starred counters to their fronts and push them up the track if they are on the Active column. If not, I move them from the Standby column to the Active column. Neither of the starred counters on their back sides, and both are in the Standby column. I move them to the Active column and because I am a dumb rear end in a top hat who fucks up rules I push them up the Active column when I shouldn't have. Oh well, I'm not starting over because of this. The game is just a tiny bit harder because of my idiocy.

The next step is the Minor Event on the card. I need to roll a d6 and find out what Territory suffers Drought. I roll a 2 and that means San Juan is hit by drought. I place a drought marker in one of the drought spaces. This makes Harvesting harder and decreases the amount of people that an occupied Territory can feed. It's not the end of the world, so I soldier on.

Finally I discard the active card and draw the next card.

If you want me to continue, I'll write up turn 2 and maybe 3 tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sounds really interesting! Looking forward to seeing how the next couple of turns pan out.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
So I finished reading the rules for Maria, and I'm definitely going to play full game. It seems like the "intro" rules only teaches the basic system of play, while the full rules is the actual game overlaid on it. Maybe not as bad as the jumps in Through the Ages rulesets, but it's still enough to know to add on the full set of content.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Continuing on with OP card 24.

I had intended to perform a Planning op this turn so I could use Tribal Diplomacy to hopefully get those Utes and/or Comanches out of the Active column, but the Major Event is Hostile Tribes! again. Ugh. I decide instead to go with a Take Actions op instead. New Mexico will feel my wrath! I decide to preempt again so I spend my last 2 APs and activate all 3 families (3 elders + 1 or however many families are in Canyon de Chelly [0 right now], whichever is higher).

Family A get 6 Mps and is going a-raiding. It's going to cost 2 MPs per NM Raid. I perform 3. In the first Raid, I pull a Red cube. This goes into the Subjugation of New Mexico box and adds a +1 AP bonus for the Enemy at the start of their Ops phase. The rules state I pull again after getting a Red cube, so I do and pull a Yellow cube - Slaves. I grab a child counter, place it in the Passage of Time box, place the cube in the Raided Cubes box, and increase Family A's Ferocity by 1.

Family A Raids NM again for 2 MPs and pulls a Black cube. This indicates that I stole an animal of my choice, either a Horse or a Sheep. I decide to take a Horse and place it in the Resources box. Fam A's Ferocity is increased by 1 again. Family A is not at max Ferocity and minimum Evasion. Hubris can kill. Family A decided to Raid NM a third time and this time gets a Brown cube. Another Horse. Into the Resource box it goes. The last two cubes I pulled also go into the Raided Cubes box.

Family B decides it's best to try and Harvest the Corn it planted last turn. Since there is a Drought marker in the territory, I have to roll a die and get > the number of Drought markers to successfully Harvest. I could try to remove the Drought marker by trying to Find a New Water Hole, but this takes 9 minus the Family's Area Value (2), which would be 7 MPs. I don't have 7 MPs to spend, and the Minor Event coming up is Drought Recovery. I have an 83% chance to get >1 so I risk it, spend all 6 MPs, and try toHarvest. Success! I roll a 3, flip the Corn counter and see that I Harvested...0 corn. Awesome. This means I can't feed anyone with it. It still goes in the Resource box because it a) makes the chances of getting a good crop of Corn better, and b) can still be used to influence the outcome of a Tribal Raid.

Family C decides it's best to move out of Canyon de Chelly and move into a territory that's worth VPs and has a Escape and Caught box. If a Family is successfully Raided while in the Canyon, it is effectively destroyed as there is no Escape!. Family C takes one of the Horse counters from the Resource box (this can literally be done at any time) and starts to move using the Area numbers in parenthesis for MP costs. Family C moves from Canyon de Chelly 1 to Hopi Land 1 for 1 MP, then to Zuni Mountains 3 for 1 MP. They have 4 MPs left, but can't do anything else so that concludes the Navajo turn, which I think could have been better.

Enemy Turn
The Enemy gets the minimum 1 AP (2 from the card, 1 from the Red cube in the Subjugate box, minus 4 for the cubes in the Raided Cubes box) giving them a total of 2 APs to spend. I roll both dice to check for AI counter movement and get a 1 and a 5. The Subjugate 2 counter in spot 1 can't flip because of the red stripe. 5 does though. the Colonize 3 action flips to Build 3.

Subjugate 2 is the current Active action, and the Enemy has 2 AP so it goes off. All APs that can be spent up to the highest number on the chit are spent, so both AP are used. For each AP spent, I have to draw 1 cube from the Raid Pool. Each Red cube goes into the Subjugation of New Mexico box and each non-Red cube goes into the Recovery box. This action represents the colonial powers subjugating tribes in New Mexico. It gives them more options (more APs) and lessens the effectiveness of NM Raid actions by the Navajo (fewer non-Red cubes in the Raid Pool).

I luck out and draw a Brown and Black cube. Both go into the Recovery box.

The Enemy have no more AP to spend, so now I need to clean up the AI track. All Active counters slide up to fill the empty space above, then the counters in the Inactive column slide down and then to the right to fill the Active column from the bottom.

The Major Event moves the Utes! and Comanche counters up, so it's now 1-Utes!, 2-Comanche, 3-Build, etc.
The Minor Event is a check for Drought Removal. I roll a 4. The way this works is you remove a Drought counter on the rolled territory. If there is no counter on that territory, you remove a counter from the adjacent territory with the lowest die roll symbol. The San Juan Valley has a die roll counter of 2, and has a Drought counter. It is the lowest numbered adjacent territory, so off comes the Drought counter.

The current card is discarded and the next one drawn. I'll write that turn up later.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Op card 34.

As I have 0 AP, I have to let the Spanish go first. They receive 1 AP (4 from the card, 1 from the Subjugation cubes, and negative 4 from the Raided cubes). I roll for AI chit changes and get a 2 and a 3. Comanche 3 becomes Peace 2-6, and Build 3 becomes Colonize 3. They can't perform Utes! 3, so that's the end of their turn.

I decide to perform a Planning op. This is a highly procedural operation. First, I add a population counter to the Passage of Time box that matches the picture in the Op card. I add the woman counter. Next, I collect 1 AP for each Elder on the Elder display (3 AP total), and slide all the Elders to the right. This represents the Elders aging. As they get further to the right they have a greater chance of dying, but they also have a better chance of being successful with their Elder Action, which happens next. Each Elder can perform one action. This can range from getting an AP to increasing or decreasing the Military or Culture rating to increasing or decreasing an individual Family's Ferocity.

My first Elder chooses to attempt to increase my Military rating from 5 to 6. This also decreases the Culture rating from 9 to 8. In order to succeed, I have to roll a 1d6 and roll within the Elder Rating spread under the Elder portrait. My first Elder is a 1-2. I roll a 5 and fail. The second Elder (1-2) tried to decrease the Ferocity of Family A. I roll a 4 and fail. The third Elder (1) attempts to decrease Fam A Ferocity as well. I actually roll a 1 and succeed!

Next, I decide to get some trade goods. Trade goods are useful for rerolling bad die rolls, cancel flipping AI counters, cancelling Minor Events, etc. It's always useful to have some. I trade 3 AP for 3 Trade Goods and put them in the Resource box. At this point, if I needed to I could conduct Tribal Warfare or Tribal Diplomacy to attack or negotiate with the Utes! or Comanche chit, but I have no AP left, so I skip it. Finally, Rest the Cubes. All the cubes in the Recovery box go to the Cube Pool, and all the Cubes in the Raided Cubes box go to the Recovery Box.

Major Event
I draw a Brown cube. Per the card, it goes into the Raided Cubes box, but I don't get the benefit. This event represents Apaches raiding New Mexico. Obviously, it wouldn't make sense to have me benefit from their work.

Minor Event
Drought recovery. I ignore this as there are no Drought markers and discard this OP card.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So yeah, BGG. Apparently people are complaining about the stylistic choice made in the design of the Navajo Wars board, claiming it looks like something a five year old would want. BGG, never change.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Personally, I'm sort of put off by those colorful stones. The idea behind them is neat, but in the end they look ugly to me. It's not a big deal though, at least it has character.

Somehow I got busy and haven't had time for proper wargamin' and grognardin' since August and I've got a feeling a breaking point and massive wargaming binge is coming soon. On the other hand, being a massive procrastinator, being swamped with work meant I spent most of the boring lecture at university bringing my on/off homebrew wargame project close to a working prototype. :unsmith:

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Thanks for the AAR, Oldstench!! I really like the theme of NW, it's definitely one of the more interesting choices for a wargame. I really wish there were more wargames that dealt seriously with early colonial conflicts.

Got my OGRE today and it's megahuge. I need a bigger apartment.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Tekopo posted:

So yeah, BGG. Apparently people are complaining about the stylistic choice made in the design of the Navajo Wars board, claiming it looks like something a five year old would want. BGG, never change.

Report back with the CSW opinion

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

black metal hugbox posted:

Report back with the CSW opinion
I'd rather take out my eyes with a spoon.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Apparently, even CSW was too modern for the A World at War people, so they have most of their discussion on a mailing list. That's right, for some people CSW represents the bleeding edge of discussion technology. I'm pretty sure this is a significant portion of what's wrong with the wargaming community.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

Thanks for the AAR, Oldstench!! I really like the theme of NW, it's definitely one of the more interesting choices for a wargame. I really wish there were more wargames that dealt seriously with early colonial conflicts.

Got my OGRE today and it's megahuge. I need a bigger apartment.

I appreciate it. I'll post some more tomorrow.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Hi all, I just wondered if any of you guys had some suggestions for a few good solo wargames?
I'm reasonably inexperienced but within the past year I've purchased, enjoyed immensely and played the hell out of D-Day at Omaha Beach and Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I'm not looking to get any more of the Leader series at the moment but Field Commander Napoleon and Fields of Fire are catching my eye.

Oh and I have the ASL starter kit #1 but it kind of a scares me (and I don't think I know anyone who would play it or invest the time learning the rules)

As an added incentive to help me here is a picture of some cheese I found on honeymoon. It was delicious

edit: because I made the picture stupidly large.

One Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 16, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

One Pigeon posted:

Hi all, I just wondered if any of you guys had some suggestions for a few good solo wargames?
I'm reasonably inexperienced but within the past year I've purchased, enjoyed immensely and played the hell out of D-Day at Omaha Beach and Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I'm not looking to get any more of the Leader series at the moment but Field Commander Napoleon and Fields of Fire are catching my eye.

Oh and I have the ASL starter kit #1 but it kind of a scares me (and I don't think I know anyone who would play it or invest the time learning the rules)

As an added incentive to help me here is a picture of some cheese I found on honeymoon. It was delicious

I'll play ASLSK1 with you on Vassal if you're interested.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

One Pigeon posted:

Field Commander Napoleon
Think of it like of PC games Panzer General of Unity of Command, feeling more like military-themed puzzles. And it's sort of easy to beat, IMO. Still, it's rather fun and quick-playing so I come back to it once in a while (I was literally sorting out 1800 scenario counters when I saw your post) and it's got quite a bit of content. I'd say if you liked T/A Leader you'll probably like it too.

quote:

Fields of Fire

It's the kind of girl you know is bad for you, yet you keep coming back and end up crying yourself to sleep. It is the best solo wargame ever made. It is also the worst wargame ever made. Everything ever said about FoF is true.

Definitely try it out on Vassal before making any decision.

[edit] Though I guess it's a point in its favor if if makes you feel like a grizzled Vietnam vet.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's also Navajo wars which oldstench AARed recently in this very thread.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Oldstench posted:

I'll play ASLSK1 with you on Vassal if you're interested.

Ok, you're on. It's an excuse to finally get the rules out again and see if I can understand them. I've also never used Vassal and have wanted to try it out for while.

Lichtenstein posted:

It's the kind of girl you know is bad for you, yet you keep coming back and end up crying yourself to sleep. It is the best solo wargame ever made. It is also the worst wargame ever made. Everything ever said about FoF is true.

Definitely try it out on Vassal before making any decision.

[edit] Though I guess it's a point in its favor if if makes you feel like a grizzled Vietnam vet.

This is why I haven't taken the plunge with FoF yet. I've watched through a couple of those tutorial videos that are around and it's appealing yet also intimidating and repellent at the same time. Maybe I'll get it in the future when I'm feeling masochistic.

Tekopo posted:

There's also Navajo wars which oldstench AARed recently in this very thread.

Yeah that does look kind of interesting although not a period of history I know much about. Maybe this is the time to educate myself.
Excellent AAR as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To be honest, I've been on the lookout for a copy of FoF and it's difficult to find a copy in good conditions for a reasonable price here in europe.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just got my copy of Picket Duty. I'll probably AAR this on as well if there's interest.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OP card 13.

I have 0 AP, so I can't preempt the Spanish, so they go. They get 5 AP (5 from the card +1 for subjugation cubes -1 for the lone Raided cube. This gives them 6 AP total including the one left over from the last turn.

The AI counter die roll is 3-2, so Peace 2-6 at position 2 becomes Comanche 3 and Colonize 3 at position 3 flips to Build 3 again.

Utes! 3 fires. 3 AP are spent, but (luckily!) this command requires 3 red cubes to be in the Subjugation of New Mexico box or else it's considered a Subjugate command. I play it as a Subjugate 3 and pull 3 cubes from the Raid Pool. I get 1 red, 1 green, and 1 yellow. The red immediately goes into the Subjugation box (2 now, this means +2 enemy AP per round), and the other two cubes go into the Recovery box. I gain no benefit from them. The Utes! 3 counter is slid to the right and the next counter is checked.

Comanche 3 fires. Like Utes! 3, it requires 3 subjugation cubes or it's a Subjugate 3 action. I pull a brown, a white, and a black cube! Whew. All three cubes go to the Recovery pool. I reset the AI chart, thankfully pushing those pesky Utes and Comanches to the bottom.

That ends the Spanish turn. I really need a Reset Cubes event, so I decide to perform a Planning op again. I'll get some AP and force a cube reset. Additionally, notice the Major Event on the card. If I perform a Planning op I get 2 free Corn counters. Since I think I'll be performing a Passage of Time op soon, this will be very useful for feeding my people.

So, I run Planning. First, I get a Man counter (because of the picture on the card) and place it in my Passage of Time box. I now have a complete family that will be added to the board during a POT op. Next, I get 3 AP from my Elders and slide them all to the right.

My three elder actions:
1-3: +MIL -CULTURE [Roll 3 - success] Military is now 6, Culture 8.
1-2: Decrease Family A Ferocity [Roll 3 - failure]
1-2: +1 AP [Roll 6 - failure]

I decide to get no trade goods for AP and decide not to perform Tribal Warfare or Tribal Diplomacy as the Utes and Comanche counters are at the bottom of the AI chart. Finally I reset the cubes and get to put all those helpful raid cubes back into the pool.

Major Event. I get some Corn, yo. A 2 and a 3 specifically.

The Minor Event is another Drought Check. I roll a 3, so the Zuni Mts. get it.

That concludes this turn.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

One Pigeon posted:

Ok, you're on. It's an excuse to finally get the rules out again and see if I can understand them. I've also never used Vassal and have wanted to try it out for while.

OK - there are a couple of things you'll need to do first.

Get the newest version of Vassal, 3.2.8.

Next, download the VASL 6.0 mod file and follow the instructions on the page to install it.

Finally, you'll need the map boards for ASLSK#1, y and z. Download the v5 boards and put them into a boards folder off the directory where you put the VASL mod file.

That should get everything installed that you need for ASLSK#1.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Oldstench posted:

OK - there are a couple of things you'll need to do first.

Get the newest version of Vassal, 3.2.8.

Next, download the VASL 6.0 mod file and follow the instructions on the page to install it.

Finally, you'll need the map boards for ASLSK#1, y and z. Download the v5 boards and put them into a boards folder off the directory where you put the VASL mod file.

That should get everything installed that you need for ASLSK#1.

Ah great thanks. Well to save my inevitable follow up questions taking up the rest of this thread I'll drop you a pm and go from there if that's ok.

As a side note I popped round my parents house earlier and found my Dad's old copy of this:

A little bit moth-eaten but still fairly usable, although I do seem to remember games devolving into seeing who can ran over the most units and then hide in a forest next turn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played a game of A Distant Plain finally and I have to say, no matter my opinions on the setting, the game is good. We played the shortest scenario, so pretty much everyone was already set up and I played as the coalition. Although I didn't get to model the surge in, I did manage to model the surge out and by the end of the game I only had a few pieces left on the board. The game itself works very well: the semi co-operation of the government and the coalition really helps to add an additional layer to the game. The warlords finally managed to win, but everyone had a chance and I really want to try to give the full scenario a go, since it will be interesting to start from scratch instead of having pre-assigned positions.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

One Pigeon posted:

A little bit moth-eaten but still fairly usable, although I do seem to remember games devolving into seeing who can ran over the most units and then hide in a forest next turn.

Panzer Leader fixed this with Opportunity Fire rules. They then used the system to make Arab Israeli Wars which I have and enjoy a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whoops, thought this was the regular BG thread! Just got back from a convention, played a fabulous game of Napoleon's Triumph where the French player put out his battery way out in front of the Santon, a huge brawl started around there, and I poured enough troops in to not allow even his full strength reinforcements to break through. Decisive victory about 6 turns in, pretty quick!

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 17, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So my next draw is Ceremony 39.

Neither I nor the Spanish perform Ops on a Ceremony. I simply do Step 1 and then choose to do Step 2 or 3. As I have no other Ceremony cards in my hand, all I have to do is Reset Cubes. I have no cubes to reset, so on to Step 2. I decide to discard the card. The Enemy Way check isn't worth the potential free 2 roll to me right now. I know I'm coming up on a scoring round, and will need to perform a Passage of Time prior to that in order to get some new families on the board.

Did I make a mistake? We'll see.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

We're putting together a COIN Goon Group for running COIN games on Vassal. Please slide by and sign up if you're interested. If we get enough people on the list, games might actually happen!

http://bit.ly/184co9F|

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Signed up, it's a good idea. Also, it will be necessary to have set times to play instead of vague 'sometime in the weekend'. COIN games are too good to not get played.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Oldstench posted:

We're putting together a COIN Goon Group for running COIN games on Vassal. Please slide by and sign up if you're interested. If we get enough people on the list, games might actually happen!

Oh... why didn't we think of this before. Signed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

What non-Bowen Simmons games 1) are good 2) convey the geometry of pre-WW1 gunpowder era warfare?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

What non-Bowen Simmons games 1) are good 2) convey the geometry of pre-WW1 gunpowder era warfare?

Musket & Pike series?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OP 15

I decide to preempt since I have the 3AP to spare. I'm obviously going to be running Planning because the chance to look at and rearrange the next 3 cards is too good to pass up. The VP round is definitely coming up soon, and I would like to know when so I don't lose half the people in my Passage of Time box. I choose a Planning op and perform the following:

1. Get a man population counter.
  2. Gain 3 AP from my Elders and slide them right.
  3. Perform Elder actions:
    1. 1-4: Lower Ferocity of Family A [Roll 5, fail]
    2. 1-3: Lower Ferocity of Family A [Roll 3, succeed]

3. 1-2: +1 AP [Roll 5, fail]
  4. Skip trade phase. There are no trade goods available.
  5. Skip tribal diplomacy/warfare phase. The Utes! and Comanche counters aren't worrying me right now.
  6. Skip cube reset phase. There are only cubes in the Subjugation of New Mexico box, so there's nothing to reset.

Spanish Phase
They get 6 AP (4 from the card, 2 for the Subjugation cubes). I roll the dice for AI counter changes, get a 2-5 and move flip the Build 3 to a Colonize 3, and the Comanche 3 to a Peace 2-6. Good stuff.

The Spanish run the following ops:
  1. Build 3 for 3 AP. This plants a Mission on Area #1 of the lowest die number territory with no Mission already in place, which for me means the 1 Territory, Shiprock.

Missions (the Spanish-era version of the Outpost counter) are bad because they do several things:
    1. Each Area with a Value <= the Value of the Area hosting the Outpost counter requires +1 MP to move into. (i.e. Area #3 has an Outpost. It will cost +1 MP to move into Areas 3, 2, or 1).
    2. They destroy any Corn counters when they come out on a Build action if they are on the same Area #.
    3. They destroy any Corn counters when they move up the Area Track during an Expand action if they move to the same Area #.
    4. They subtract 1 Culture Point for each Area they move up to during an Expand action.
    5. They subtract 2 Culture Points if a Expand action occurs when in Area #6.
    6. Each Outpost in play during a VP check increases the Enemy Morale by 1 (up to a maximum of player Military Points + # of Outposts in play).
    tl;dr: Outposts are lovely and need to be taken care of as soon as possible.
  2. Colonize 3 for 3 AP. This becomes an Expand action because there are no cubes in the Raided Cubes box, which in turn slides the just-played Mission counter up to the #2 Area. I lose 1 Culture Point because of this, dropping down to 7.
  3. I reset the enemy AI and end the Spanish phase.

Major Event
Since I performed a Planning op, I get to check the top three cards and rearrange them as I see fit.

You've seen the Ceremony and Ops cards before, but card 41 is a bit different. This is an Historical Event card. When these come out, a Victory Check occurs which could potentially end the game immediately. When that comes up, I'll detail what happens, or you can read ahead in the rulebook in Chapter 8. Needless to say, I want the Historical Event to fire last, so I re-arrange the cards as shown in the picture.

Minor Event
I roll a die, get a 5, and swap the Slaves 5 counter with the Colonize 3 counter. This ends the turn.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Oldstench posted:

COIN rules, let's do this.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Okay so we have 4 signups already, who's up for a game of any of the three this saturday starting from 1PM EST?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Another thing, I really like the Lines of Battle series from MMP for American Civil War stuff since it's pretty easy and not too spergy, but I haven't had the chance to try it properly yet.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Oldstench posted:

[*]Get a man population counter.

[*]Each Outpost in play during a VP check increases the Enemy Morale by 1 (up to a maximum of player Military Points + # of Outposts in play).

Couple rules comments on your otherwise outstanding playthrough:

1) That's actually an elder icon on the ops card (you can tell by the blue border) so you should have added an elder to passage of time, not a man.

2) There's a couple of bits of errata on the GMT page and this is one of the things that got changed - my understanding is that the increase isn't limited (and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to pass that limit anyway since enemy morale can't be above your military at that point in the VP check procedure from my reading)

I'm looking forward to your next post!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

Okay so we have 4 signups already, who's up for a game of any of the three this saturday starting from 1PM EST?

I'm down!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

Couple rules comments on your otherwise outstanding playthrough:
1) That's actually an elder icon on the ops card (you can tell by the blue border) so you should have added an elder to passage of time, not a man.

You're right. Looking back on my playthrough notes I made a mistake with the notated icon. I've corrected this. Thanks.

blackmongoose posted:

2) There's a couple of bits of errata on the GMT page and this is one of the things that got changed - my understanding is that the increase isn't limited (and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to pass that limit anyway since enemy morale can't be above your military at that point in the VP check procedure from my reading)

Thanks for pointing that out. You're correct. Going into Step 5, the worst situation would be Enemy Morale and Player Military Points both being at 0. However, this rule change does make the total Enemy Morale increase during this step possibly much higher. It's weird that the errata suggests ignoring Example 2 when Example 1 should be ignored as well based on this change. I asked him for clarification.

blackmongoose posted:

I'm looking forward to your next post!

I appreciate it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ceremony 9

I add a child counter to the POT track and keep it. I know I'll be running a Planning op next, and I'll want to use the die roll on the card to succeed at an Elder Action check.

Op 16

I run a Planning op here, because I really want to be able to move that Historical Event card back at least 2 (ideally behind 2 more Op cards). I preempt for 3 AP leaving me with 0 and do the following:
  1. Add an Elder to the POT track.

2. Get 3 AP and do that funky Elder Slide.
  3. Roll for Elder Actions:
    1. 1-3: +AP [Use Ceremony Card, auto 2, Success] (4 AP)
    2. 1-4: +Military [Roll 3, Success] (7 Military, 6 Culture)
    3. 1-5: +AP [Roll 5, Success] (5 AP)

4. Skip trade.
  5. Skip tribal warfare/diplomacy.
  6. Skip cube reset (none to reset).

Spanish Turn
  1. The Spanish get 6AP (4 for the card, 2 for the Subjugation cubes).
  2. I roll 2-4 for AI counter flips.
    1. 2: Subjugate 2 doesn't flip because of the red stripe.
    2. 4: Utes! 3 flips to Colonize 3.
  3. Enemy Actions fire:
    1. Build + Subvert 3 fires. This is a Build 3 and a Subvert 3 all in one. For the Build 3 action, a Mission is added to San Juan, Area 1. The Subvert 3 becomes a Subjugate 3 because there are fewer than 3 red Subjugate cubes. I pull 3 cubes from the Raid Pool: 1 Black, 1 Green and 1 Red. Uh oh. Several things happen because of the 3rd Subjugate cube. If the Pueblo Revolt card was in play, it would be removed. It's not been played yet, so this doesn't happen. Next, I flip AI counters A, B, and F (if they are on the board) to their nasty Raid sides which I dutifully, but unhappily, do.

Those are some nasty Raid counters! Next, I would reset the Raid cubes, so the Green and the Black cubes I just drew and then put in the Recovery box are put back. Enemy Morale increases by 1 to 6.
    2. With all the Spanish AP spent that can be spent, I reset the AI counters and end the Spanish turn leaving them with 3 AP.

Major Event
Since I performed Planning I get to rearrange the top 3 cards again. Please be two Ops and the Pueblo Revolt card. Please, please, please!

gently caress.

Oh well. I rearrange the cards in the order shown and try not to worry too much.

Minor Event
I roll a 5 and switch the positions of Colonize 3 with Build 3.

Thus endeth the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I have to play real boardgames this Saturday so Sunday is better for me.