Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, is that Kong in the background of Panel 4?

You think every bald white in comics looks the same or something?

Racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

You think every bald white in comics looks the same or something?

Racist.

Its Kong or Bendis.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Kong or Bendis.

That's like saying it's Keyser Soze or Verbal Kint.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Question IRL posted:

That is all time one of my favourite Batman stories from my favourite Justice League run. (Yes, I prefer the Kelly/Mahnke run, even above the Morrison/Porter or Waid runs.)

The line Batman uses to Plastic-Man about being a good dad, I have no fooling used that line twice in the real world to my friends, and meant it. So thanks Batman (and maybe Joe Kelly), for making me seem like a wise, sage figure.

As for the scene it wasn't until my second reading, but to figure out what was happening there (and it is indeed, Batman tries to give Eel an oppertunity to man up and reconnect with his son, he chickens out and Batman has to do it instead.)
That being said this issue occurs early on in Joe Kelly's run and it's a part of Plastic Man's arc. After this he is frozen, shattered but kept alive for about 2,000 years and the one thought that keeps him going is how he wants to reconnect with his son. And as soon as he does get put back together, he does reconnect.
Then it culminates in a big arc where Plastic Man is the one hero who can save the world from Martin Manhunter.
Overall it was a great arc.

I'll admit to still being butthurt that the "Funny" Plasticman series decided to take a poo poo all over that character arc instead of just ignoring it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Read Nightwing #141 recently.

Sometimes Clark's superpower is being the nicest guy in the world.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Perry Normal posted:

This has become one of my favorite panels ever. Superman is one of my favorite heroes, and I have a hard time explaining why. This simple panel shows it off nicely.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Real Horse posted:

This has become one of my favorite panels ever. Superman is one of my favorite heroes, and I have a hard time explaining why. This simple panel shows it off nicely.

Let me help you: He has the power of A God, but is kind, respectful, and displays humility when he would be justified in having zero. And in the hands of a good writer, it never seems phony, or corny.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Perry Normal posted:

This is a very nice panel, but that guard has some face. :shepface:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ariong posted:

I was more noticing his weird robot arm.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ariong posted:

Under those circumstances, I could see myself making that face. A mix of fear, awe, and embarrassment. It's hard to keep your emotions off your face.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

Nah, definitely werewolf.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Let me help you: He has the power of A God, but is kind, respectful, and displays humility when he would be justified in having zero. And in the hands of a good writer, it never seems phony, or corny.

Well yeah, but when you are talking with some people (my comic reading friends) about it they are so set in "LOL INVINCIBLE NO FUN" that it's very frustrating. Shame, since they are missing out on some excellent comics.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I tried to walk someone through the "name one time where batman being Just A Guy has stopped him, and how many times has superman been stopped by kryptonite or other stuff" argument and all I got was "well it doesn't matter batman is still the best".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kellsterik posted:

I tried to walk someone through the "name one time where batman being Just A Guy has stopped him, and how many times has superman been stopped by kryptonite or other stuff" argument and all I got was "well it doesn't matter batman is still the best".

Its still funny that one of the best Superman moments comes from a book of a guy coming to deal with the Superman concept and how he is not stupid and from Vertigo. It's a bird is amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Real Horse posted:

Well yeah, but when you are talking with some people (my comic reading friends) about it they are so set in "LOL INVINCIBLE NO FUN" that it's very frustrating. Shame, since they are missing out on some excellent comics.

Most of these people have never read a good Superman comic, I assume. They do exist.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Ariong posted:

His face looks less like the surprise that comes from adulation and more like the surprise that comes from him catching Superman and Nightwing engaging in activities that belong at a rest stop men's room more than a public park.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Speaking of rest stops, does Superman need to eat/sleep/etc?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Leper Colon V posted:

His weird robot arm hovering two inches off of his gun. That's a face that's trying to keep all the pee inside because the owner of the face realizes he almost drew down on Batman Junior and freakin' Superman Himself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tremendous Taste posted:

Speaking of rest stops, does Superman need to eat/sleep/etc?

Technically not, so long as he's powered by the sun. He's perfectly capable of digesting food, though, and generally does in order to be sociable and/or pass for human.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And because he likes it. His favorite food is beef bourguignon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Someone posted the "can I borrow a dollar" panel in another thread, and I was reminded of this great scene in Hickman's Fantastic Four, following Johnny Storm's death:

The whole "heads in the clouds" imagery is a bit corny, but the part where Peter says "I KNOW" gets me every time. Making Spider-Man a part of the team here really was a stroke of genius.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That was terrific.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
These are from JLA #35, which was a fill-in issue written by J. M. DeMatteis which came out just before Morrison started the last lap of his run with the Mageddon arc.

It's about an encounter between Hal Jordan and his old team-mates, taking place pretty soon after he had assumed the Spectre's mantle. He believes he can see humans for what they are now, and as far as he's concerned, even the best of them are not really worth saving.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
drat this thread. Some days it's pretty good. Other days it's jaw-dropping.

Then other days still someone re-posts something from It's a bird.

dammit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadpool #19. This is the first page.

Part of the plot in this arc is that for years, Deadpool's been experimented on by this guy named Butler. Deadpool would either be kidnapped, experimented on, mindwiped then released or he'd be tranq'd during his everyday activities before people would harvest his organs and leave him to regenerate. Butler is kind of like Mr. Freeze in that he does his work to save the life of his sister, whose bedridden, comatose body is always nearby. Then again, he's also done a lot of shady poo poo involving the North Korean government.

Deadpool finds him in this issue, where Butler is hiding in a panic room that can only be opened from the inside. If Deadpool tries anything, there are a ton of booby traps able to stop him. The two instead talk and we discover that after escaping from Weapon X, Deadpool volunteered to be used as a guinea pig until he violently turned on Butler for unexplained reasons. Deadpool has no memory of this, but imagines that if Butler only cared about saving his sister's life, Deadpool would have helped him.

As Deadpool talks to Butler, the door opens. Butler's sister had gotten up and pressed the button. Butler shouts that Deadpool will kill them both and she weakly says, "Good. How many times have I died?" After a well-deserved brutalizing, Butler tries talking his way out of it but...

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Every single one of my favorite Deadpool stories aren't where he's being a wacky anti-hero, but where he examines his own, and others humanity.

I think Cable and Deadpool did this rather well, but everyone took the wrong things from it, and went wacky Deadpool, instead of existentialist insane deadpool.

Though to be honest, I avoid a lot of his stuff because I'll grab an issue and be turned off. What Deadpool vol is that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

Every single one of my favorite Deadpool stories aren't where he's being a wacky anti-hero, but where he examines his own, and others humanity.

I think Cable and Deadpool did this rather well, but everyone took the wrong things from it, and went wacky Deadpool, instead of existentialist insane deadpool.

Though to be honest, I avoid a lot of his stuff because I'll grab an issue and be turned off. What Deadpool vol is that?

The latest one. If you also want to see a great Deadpool read Uncanny X-force volume 1.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bobkatt013 posted:

The latest one. If you also want to see a great Deadpool read Uncanny X-force volume 1.

Yeah, I've read Uncanny X-Force, and that's what kind of got me annoyed. It's such a great arc for him.

I wish I had scans of what I think is the last issue, when he says goodbye to Apocy jr.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Holy poo poo. If you were turned off by the Dead Presidents arc* that started off the new Deadpool series, keep going, for the love of god.

*which was usually a 11/10 on the wackiness scale

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah, I've read Uncanny X-Force, and that's what kind of got me annoyed. It's such a great arc for him.

I wish I had scans of what I think is the last issue, when he says goodbye to Apocy jr.

Deadpool trying to rescue him and then getting brutally tortured was really powerful. That whole last arc really was amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's really nice to see that they're putting effort into Deadpool stories since his recent ascent to the mainstream and not just having them be 100% lol monkeycheese even though that would probably still sell just as well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What makes the current Deadpool run work is that it has some whacky stuff but the whacky stuff is funny (usually), and there's plenty of pathos and drama that has been well executed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What makes the current Deadpool run work is that it has some whacky stuff but the whacky stuff is funny (usually), and there's plenty of pathos and drama that has been well executed.

The joke about 'lol, no-one likes Deadpool being serious' in the video game pissed me off to no end. gently caress you, Daniel Way, YOU don't like that! Every single run where creators struck a balance has been more enjoyable for it. Hell, WAY's stories where he does that are the best of his run- the 'Wade joins the X-Men' arc, for instance.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gavok posted:

Deadpool #19.

I was generally surprised at the quality of this arc and how it explored the toll that Deadpool's messed-up memory has on him as a person.

Also, Captain America literally staring down the North Korean army to stop their advance. No attack, no threat, just a single man with a shield on his back, in parade rest, stopping an army.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
The art in those Deadpool panels is incredible. It really adds the to the emotional weight of it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And because he likes it. His favorite food is beef bourguignon.

Beef booger-yawn?

I'm sorry but that sounds disgusting.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Perry Normal posted:

If you've got that issue handy, please post that panel a little bit later when the cop/guard take a photo with Superman. That whole scene made me realize that Clark and Dick have so much more in common with each other than with Bruce. It makes snese that they'd be friends independent of Batman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

lowercase16 posted:

If you've got that issue handy, please post that panel a little bit later when the cop/guard take a photo with Superman. That whole scene made me realize that Clark and Dick have so much more in common with each other than with Bruce. It makes snese that they'd be friends independent of Batman.
Everyone who's a fan of Clark and Dick hangin' out needs to grab Action Comics 771 immediately. It was a Chuck Dixon guest issue that takes place in the middle of his Nightwing run, and is non-stop fun.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Perry Normal posted:

Showed this panel to one of my friends as an example of a great depiction of Superman, he couldn't see it as anything but incredibly patronizing to have the Man of Steel be like "yep, all three of us are definitely on the same level here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sorry your friend is a dick, Kell.