Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

precision posted:

Hey. Hey guys.

Watch Almost Human. For real.

Nope, watch Sleepy Hollow instead. I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next 4 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Watch Supernatural.

I just finished Season 8.

Holy crap.

I can't believe this show can still make me say that after what happened in the first five seasons. But the Season 8 finale. Holy crap.

Anyone who tells you to stop watching Supernatural after Season 5 is a bad person. Season 6 and 7 are shaky, but Season 8? Holy crap.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Nope, watch Sleepy Hollow instead. I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next 4 seasons.

Luckily, you can watch both!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

You can watch both, there's nothing else on before Sleepy Hollow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently the AV Club redesign is loving with something because WHERE'S MY SLEEPY HOLLOW RECAP MOTHERFUCKERS.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The Wire: The Complete Series usually retails for about $200.

Guess how much DeepDiscount.com is selling it for?

Onward, hipsters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Onward, hipsters.
God drat it. The West Wing and its sexy boxed set is the only one I own, but that's because I had seen the show and liked it. I haven't seen any of The Wire but I have to imagine I'd like it. Do I blind buy? :ohdear:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So I've been watching some more Spartacus.

http://i.imgur.com/NHXx3T9.jpg

You guys were right, it really starts getting better after episode 4 (not that it was bad, but drat).

Also, Sleepy Hollow just keeps getting better and Almost Human's second episode was great as well. Mondays are getting awesome.

I was going through my "abandoned series" list, and decided to get into Supernatural again; I'm currently rewatching the first 5 seasons (because they're awesome) and then I'll head into Season 8 which I stopped watching after like one episode.

Which brings me to the question: I also noticed that I had completely forgotten about Burn Notice. A quick search tells me I stopped halfway through Season 6, and I see that it actually ended in season 7. Is it worth a watch?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Onward, hipsters.

So The Wire never aired in HD?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

Onward, hipsters.

Bruiser get this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So The Wire never aired in HD?

Nah it was a stylistic decision to present it in SD 4:3 in order to make it feel more like the local news that viewers were used to. I don't know if it was framed for 16:9 HD but I'd like to see it released in that. Maybe a special feature where if you watch the 4:3 original it unlocks the special future mode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also thanks dp that's a great deal

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Just sold out in the 3 minutes I took to add another DVD to my cart :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Just sold out in the 3 minutes I took to add another DVD to my cart :smith:
I was trying to determine the difference between the version sold by Deep Discount which just has slots for the discs:

And the version that has snap in disc holders for each season with this packaging:

Turns out they're the same.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the one that folds out on the top and it's terrible packaging. The discs can easily fall out.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

This is my biggest concern with it so far (3 episodes in), that I don't see how it can possibly sustain itself past a season or maybe two. It is hilarious and so dumb in a good way, but the show it reminds me most strongly of is American Horror Story and that show had the right idea in re-setting itself every season because you simply run out of interesting mythology after awhile. Granted Sleepy Hollow is doing every single mythology all at once in an attempt to combat this (I think) but I'm skeptical that it will work long term.

It should be an entertaining first season at least. I guess the other show it kind of reminds me of is Charmed and I was all in on that show for a very long time so perhaps I am being too pessimistic!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Complete edition of Wire is constantly on sale for a song on Amazon.com. Just set up a price alert, if you somehow haven't bothered to by one yet.

EDIT: I just remembered that a goon created a great site for this: http://camelcamelcamel.com/The-Wire-Complete-Series/product/B005NFJAWG?context=browse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Hey. Hey guys.

Watch Almost Human. For real.

Why? All I know is that there's androids and someone is like Judge Dredd.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sophia posted:

This is my biggest concern with it so far (3 episodes in), that I don't see how it can possibly sustain itself past a season or maybe two. It is hilarious and so dumb in a good way, but the show it reminds me most strongly of is American Horror Story and that show had the right idea in re-setting itself every season because you simply run out of interesting mythology after awhile. Granted Sleepy Hollow is doing every single mythology all at once in an attempt to combat this (I think) but I'm skeptical that it will work long term.

It should be an entertaining first season at least. I guess the other show it kind of reminds me of is Charmed and I was all in on that show for a very long time so perhaps I am being too pessimistic!

I think it'll only work long-term if they conclude this current arc after a couple of seasons before moving onto something fresh. Not that they're exactly dragging things out as it stands, mind.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

I think it'll only work long-term if they conclude this current arc after a couple of seasons before moving onto something fresh. Not that they're exactly dragging things out as it stands, mind.

I'm pretty sure the writers have said that they have actually plotted out like 7 seasons of show content, so I doubt we're going to get Ryan Murphy'd here unless Fox starts demanding 22-episode seasons instead of 13.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're spinning off HIMYM.

See if you can guess what they're calling it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

zoux posted:

They're spinning off HIMYM.

See if you can guess what they're calling it.

The real surprise isn't what it's called (it's How I Met Your Dad) but that's not about Ted's wife but instead a group of totally random new characters we meet in the final episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

The real surprise isn't what it's called (it's How I Met Your Dad) but that's not about Ted's wife

The article implied that it would be exactly that.

Also, ugh.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IRQ posted:

The article implied that it would be exactly that.

Also, ugh.

Yeah, and yeah. This is dumb as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, and yeah. This is dumb as hell.

I guess if making fat stacks is dumb as hell, yeah.

E: http://plasticfarm.tumblr.com/post/67356039004/the-second-thanos-and-darkseid-carpool-buddies-of

These guys would make perfect TVIV posters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 19, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

Why? All I know is that there's androids and someone is like Judge Dredd.

You need to know more?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

xeria posted:

I'm pretty sure the writers have said that they have actually plotted out like 7 seasons of show content, so I doubt we're going to get Ryan Murphy'd here unless Fox starts demanding 22-episode seasons instead of 13.

Five seasons, actually. And as jam-packed as this season's eps have been they could easily stretch it out to a full season and not lose momentum, though if the short order keeps them strong in the Fall it could be a better move than expanding.

Sophia posted:

You're in luck, because the fourth ep is when the show really hits its stride! The story this season is that they're dealing with one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, all commanded by Moloch so that's 5 big bads to deal with a season at a time, and their Ichabod Crane intersecting with revisionist history leaves plenty of fun colonial plot points to be mined. Plus, they aren't above jokes even when things get really intense and it's very endearing, as you said.

AndyP posted:

Luckily, you can watch both!

Not to be too self-centered but I specifically can't with The Voice and HIMYM airing in the timeslot. Also they dropped about a third of their demo rating last night so we may not have the option soon :v:

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 19, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen last night's Sleepy Hollow but AV Club gave it an 'A' which is high praise indeed.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

I haven't seen last night's Sleepy Hollow but AV Club gave it an 'A' which is high praise indeed.

Sleepy Hollow was an especially good episode because it featured Neil Jackson, AKA "Marcus Van Sciver" from TV's Blade, among other things. But mostly Blade. He was incredible in that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Not to be too self-centered but I specifically can't with The Voice and HIMYM airing in the timeslot. Also they dropped about a third of their demo rating last night so we may not have the option soon :v:

The first episode aired after football. Last night is what they're going to look at going forward, not the premiere.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Five seasons, actually.

The first episode explicitly says that the Witnesses will be there for seven years of trials. That's what the writers are shooting for.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

You're in luck, because the fourth ep is when the show really hits its stride! The story this season is that they're dealing with one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, all commanded by Moloch so that's 5 big bads to deal with a season at a time, and their Ichabod Crane intersecting with revisionist history leaves plenty of fun colonial plot points to be mined. Plus, they aren't above jokes even when things get really intense and it's very endearing, as you said.

Well but that's kind of what I mean by it getting boring. The horseman is already (to me) the least interesting part of the show, so another 4 seasons of that fight is like ugh. It's much easier to see the show getting supremely tedious dealing with one horseman after another than it is to see the show making each "boss" different enough to be continuously interesting. I do not write or produce TV for a reason, so I could definitely be underselling their ability to keep the premise fresh, but it worries me. Anyway I need to catch up all the way so I can go into the appropriate thread for this and to see if they take any fresh angles on it that jazz it up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

The real surprise isn't what it's called (it's How I Met Your Dad) but that's not about Ted's wife but instead a group of totally random new characters we meet in the final episode.

It would be poo poo either way, in my opinion. It's going to be That 80's Show level of poo poo spinoff.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched both episodes of Almost Human and it's pretty solid so far. The interplay between Urban and Ealy is pretty great.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Rarity posted:

The first episode explicitly says that the Witnesses will be there for seven years of trials. That's what the writers are shooting for.

I don't know where I pulled that 5-season number from anymore but yeah it's seven years which may not necessarily mean 7 seasons though.

VVV Very good. It's one of the strongest performing freshmen of the season on any network. VVV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do the ratings look?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

How do the ratings look?

For Sleepy Hollow? Stable in the mid 2s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Occupation posted:

For Sleepy Hollow? Stable in the mid 2s

No for Almost Human (also don't fall down the P&D well mate)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zoux posted:

3.1 for the premiere on Sunday, 2.2 last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Uh too late I've already spent like 400bux on it

• Locked thread