Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Yeah if the Vampire Killer really does work off human souls it works off human souls that were mostly educated in how to kill vampires literally centuries before genetics became a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
And how does he throw a cross and it boomerangs back anyways???

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

why doesn't he just chop up dracula with the axe instead of throwing it and hoping for the best????????????????????

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I got Castlevania 2 for Christmas when I was 7-8. It gave us Bloody Tears, Silence of Daylight, whatever the song that plays at nighttime is (scary as crap as a child),and the mansion theme.

It's awesome as hell and overdue for a remake. It's too bad Japan is like the stunted downs kid of game development now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why doesn't Shanoa just eat the glyphs instead of letting her back drink them?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How does albus's pistol fire so rapidly? It's a flintlock!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Come on guys this is the series where a guy said one of them doesn't count because it wasn't historically accurate for a woman to be a vampire hunter :v:

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Why does Alucard never use the Alucard spear?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

macfam posted:

Why does Alucard never use the Alucard spear?

He IS the spear.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

oswald ownenstein posted:

I got Castlevania 2 for Christmas when I was 7-8. It gave us Bloody Tears, Silence of Daylight, whatever the song that plays at nighttime is (scary as crap as a child),and the mansion theme.

It's awesome as hell and overdue for a remake. It's too bad Japan is like the stunted downs kid of game development now.

I thought castlevania 2 was amazing when I was a kid but that's mostly because I was too lovely at video games to get to the broken parts.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mister Roboto posted:

He IS the spear.

That's what I thought, but it doesn't explain why or how an Eastern European vampire is working for Japanese Internal Affairs.

Also, how does Hammer get anything to sell if he never leaves that one spot? Or the Librarian? Or, really, any of the shopkeepers outside OoE.

blackguy32 posted:

Come on guys this is the series where a guy said one of them doesn't count because it wasn't historically accurate for a woman to be a vampire hunter :v:

I always thought Sofia got removed because he thought 'had sex with Alucard to make Trevor' was too awesome for the series.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 17, 2013

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

They obviously sell to the monsters as well. That's where all the potions and food they drop comes from.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

J.A.B.C. posted:

That's what I thought, but it doesn't explain why or how an Eastern European vampire is working for Japanese Internal Affairs.

Also, how does Hammer get anything to sell if he never leaves that one spot? Or the Librarian? Or, really, any of the shopkeepers outside OoE.

Uh, why WOULDN'T an immortal European get involved with Japan? Wow vamp racist much?

Also the shopkeepers get their wares the same way the Final Fantasy heroes get gold out of enemies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mister Roboto posted:

Uh, why WOULDN'T an immortal European get involved with Japan? Wow vamp racist much?

Also the shopkeepers get their wares the same way the Final Fantasy heroes get gold out of enemies.

I wish I could find it, but there's a webcomic somewhere where a kid sits with his grandfather as he dies, and right when the grandfather dies, he blinks out and leaves behind ammo. So simple, yet so funny.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If Dracula's castle constantly warps when it comes back, and draws on war and hatred, it answers why we have samurai armor and a masamune in a kitchen somewhere.

Doesn't explain the ice scream sundaes and the ramen though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did you ever play Kid Dracula?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fargin Icehole posted:

If Dracula's castle constantly warps when it comes back, and draws on war and hatred, it answers why we have samurai armor and a masamune in a kitchen somewhere.

Soldiers need to eat, too.

When you're freezing your toes off in Korea during an exercise, Ramen from the canteen tent is a godsend. That, and yakimandu.

Also, I think 'ice scream sundae' would be an awesome healing item. Maybe put a 'fear' buff on it that lowers an enemy stat in close range.

ImpAtom posted:

Did you ever play Kid Dracula?

I never have. I need to correct this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

Soldiers need to eat, too.

When you're freezing your toes off in Korea during an exercise, Ramen from the canteen tent is a godsend. That, and yakimandu.

Also, I think 'ice scream sundae' would be an awesome healing item. Maybe put a 'fear' buff on it that lowers an enemy stat in close range.

I never have. I need to correct this.

This explains everything. I have been eating some guy's roast beef dinner that he hid from his squadmates inside the walls.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Dracula may be a soul-sucking monster, but he's still a good host and has food for all kinds of people, including weeaboos and otakus. He's equal-opportunity towards his victimsguests.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mister Roboto posted:

Dracula may be a soul-sucking monster, but he's still a good host and has food for all kinds of people, including weeaboos and otakus. He's equal-opportunity towards his victimsguests.

The idea of Dracula trying to be accomodating to an anime nerd and pretending to connect with him for long enough to kill and eat him in is hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

The idea of Dracula trying to be accomodating to an anime nerd and pretending to connect with him for long enough to kill and eat him in is hilarious.

I can only picture Otacon visiting Dracula's castle.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
"Umm...I hear you like magical girls? I was defeated by one once, pigeons can hurt a lot surprisingly."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's funny how things change. :v:

J.A.B.C. posted:

I always thought Sofia got removed because he thought 'had sex with Alucard to make Trevor' was too awesome for the series.

The HoD merchant moves around so he finds stuff I guess, and the Librarian just have a big old stash of stuff in their rooms in the background. :colbert:

Fargin Icehole posted:

How does albus's pistol fire so rapidly? It's a flintlock!

It uses MP to fire. :colbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Does anyone know if there any of those composite images showing an entire stage/area around the internet for any CV games? Like the kind of you see in strategy guides sometimes. I get a huge kick out of those, and the Castlevania games have some great backgrounds.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Does anyone know if there any of those composite images showing an entire stage/area around the internet for any CV games? Like the kind of you see in strategy guides sometimes. I get a huge kick out of those, and the Castlevania games have some great backgrounds.

http://www.vgmaps.com/

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Speaking of which, here's a long article on how they kept up the continuity of how the castle's laid out between games:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/entrance.htm

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey, I just got a 3DS, and am looking at the DS castlevanias. Which is a good one to start with? I'm most interested in Ecclesia, since it lacks the animu graphics.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey, I just got a 3DS, and am looking at the DS castlevanias. Which is a good one to start with? I'm most interested in Ecclesia, since it lacks the animu graphics.

The anime graphics only really extend to the box art and in-game character portraits; the sprites themselves look the same as they always did. Don't let that put you off any of the games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

Animu Graphics don't really apply to monster designs, only character sprites if thats a concern. Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good albeit not particularly complicated or as long as the others and suffers from a truly poo poo boss mechanic. Portrait of Ruin is probably my favorite but its backtracking city with a small main castle acting as a hub to 8 mini-castle dungeons which repeat the same 4 tilesets twice. Ecclesia is by far the hardest but its basically a string of dungeons that culminates in a short final castle segment where you've already got most of the powers.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Cool, thanks! I'm always impressed by the original Castlevania's dedication to architectural consistency. It's something they've sadly lost in the later games (SCVIV especially doesn't make much sense), but it was a neat idea that really added to the aesthetic.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The anime graphics only really extend to the box art and in-game character portraits; the sprites themselves look the same as they always did. Don't let that put you off any of the games.

Huh, okay. I guess I'll start with the first one. Also, anyone play Aliens Infestation?

Barudak posted:

Animu Graphics don't really apply to monster designs, only character sprites if thats a concern. Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good albeit not particularly complicated or as long as the others and suffers from a truly poo poo boss mechanic. Portrait of Ruin is probably my favorite but its backtracking city with a small main castle acting as a hub to 8 mini-castle dungeons which repeat the same 4 tilesets twice. Ecclesia is by far the hardest but its basically a string of dungeons that culminates in a short final castle segment where you've already got most of the powers.

Wait, how is it poo poo?

CowboyAndy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 20, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

CowboyAndy posted:

Wait, how is it poo poo?

You gotta draw these loving seals with the touch screen successfully or re-fight the boss, it's annoying and pointless.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

Huh, okay. I guess I'll start with the first one. Also, anyone play Aliens Infestation?

I have played and own Aliens Infestation.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Pneub posted:

You gotta draw these loving seals with the touch screen successfully or re-fight the boss, it's annoying and pointless.

Bleh. As a Wii owner, I hate tacted on waggle poo poo. Is Portrait of Ruin free of stuff like that?

blackguy32 posted:

I have played and own Aliens Infestation.

Well, is it good? Like, in the sense of a Metroidvania? Exploration, sense of fear/solitude? (i.e., "is it not a lovely tie-in game?")

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Infestation is a great at being an Aliens game but bad at being a Metroid game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm really enjoying Portrait of Ruin. I got the bad ending, thought "huh, that was short", did the trigger to unlock the rest of the game, and holy crap there's got to be at least 40% of the game left.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

Well, is it good? Like, in the sense of a Metroidvania? Exploration, sense of fear/solitude? (i.e., "is it not a lovely tie-in game?")

I am going to give it a resounding no. I think it is average to poo poo. Fighting the human enemies is boring, the metroid elements suck, the combat is dull with the flamethrower being pretty much all you need since it had infinite ammo and doesn't spray acid blood on you when you kill things with it, they have many different marines with different personalities which you will never get to play as since you have to let one of your current marines die off first. However they all play identical.

It just plays like a bland mess that is clearly only getting by based off of the franchise name.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

Bleh. As a Wii owner, I hate tacted on waggle poo poo. Is Portrait of Ruin free of stuff like that?

Yeah, mostly. Dawn of Sorrow was a near release title for the DS, and every game from then had stuff like that tacked on. The rest of the DS titles are mostly free from it, but there are NG+ playthroughs where you play characters by using the touchscreen. Aside from that, its all non-gameplay stuff like writing your signature on your save file.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 20, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
All the DS games are good but Ecclesia is basically the peak of the franchise so save it for last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Honestly I'd just get Ecclesia and skip the other two unless you're really hard up for more Castlevania. Dawn of Sorrow is okay aside from the soul grinding and the tacked on touchscreen gimmick, but Portrait of Ruin has lovely/rehashed level design, the single most infuriatingly terrible boss I have seen in a Castlevania game, and I never felt the partner system really worked in the game's favor.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 20, 2013