Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Steve Amell continues to be a fantastic person, he just posted a message on FB about the Quiver podcast people ( which I've never listened to) and said to get in touch with him, so he can do their podcast. They of course did. So.. where the hell is the Quiver podcast at and is it good. Cause I will listen to it if he is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Error 404 posted:

It's almost like you want the inevitable Flash thread to be nothing but GOES FAST jokes.

I was unaware that Johns was writing any Arrow episodes (ugh) and the news that he is fills me with dread. His Smallville episodes are all terrible. I wonder how long it will take him to insert his dead sister into the Arrow universe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I was unaware that Johns was writing any Arrow episodes (ugh) and the news that he is fills me with dread. His Smallville episodes are all terrible. I wonder how long it will take him to insert his dead sister into the Arrow universe.

As soon as they can deliver a refrigerator, I suppose.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

He already wrote Dead to Rights (the episode where Deadshot is hired to kill Merlyn) and it was one of the better episodes of the series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

He already wrote Dead to Rights (the episode where Deadshot is hired to kill Merlyn) and it was one of the better episodes of the series.

Shh, shh. You with your facts.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Hollismason posted:

Steve Amell continues to be a fantastic person, he just posted a message on FB about the Quiver podcast people ( which I've never listened to) and said to get in touch with him, so he can do their podcast. They of course did. So.. where the hell is the Quiver podcast at and is it good. Cause I will listen to it if he is on it.

Have you tried quiverpodcast.com?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Narcissus1916 posted:

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone else hate Lazarus Pits?

Comics have enough of a horrid reputation with cheapening death, but the Pits outright nullify mortality. The fact that they're tied into the mythology of Batman, one of the most street-level characters in the DC stable, has always baffled me.

That said, I'm admiring the slow buildup Arrow has been doing with superpowers. I'm totally fine with a "this guy took a serum and punches REALLY Hard" power boost.

The pit used to be an exclusive Ra's Al Ghul thing, and if I remember correctly, it just prolonged it life, it didn't actually bring people back from the dead. But once he died the first time, some writer used it in that regard and like any one-time mechanism, it went out of control from there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoilers for NEXT WEEK'S episode:

Guess who
BARRY ALLEN COMES TO STARLING CITY — A seemingly impossible robbery at Queen Consolidated's Applied Sciences Division brings Central City police scientist Barry Allen (guest star Grant Gustin) to town. Citing a similar case back home, Barry offers to help Oliver (Stephen Amell) and team with the investigation. Oliver senses there is more to Barry than meets the eye, but he's distracted by the similarities between this current case and something that happened on the island. Meanwhile, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) takes a liking to Barry, which doesn't go unnoticed by Oliver. Sin (guest star Bex Taylor-Klaus) asks Roy (Colton Haynes) for help when a friend of hers goes missing. Roy is surprised when Thea (Willa Holland) not only encourages him to help, but joins the search. Unfortunately, Sin's friend is connected to Brother Blood (guest star Kevin Alejandro), and their search ultimately gets one of them seriously injured. Michael Schultz directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kresiberg and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns (#208).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If they bring in a Central City police officer. maybe it will involve a Central City criminal too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Grodd!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I would love to see Green Arrow shoot a gorilla.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I hope this show goes absolutely balls-to-the-wall crazy with the superpowers and crazy poo poo but does it so gradually that we don't even notice until seven or eight seasons from now when we suddenly ask ourselves, "Wait a second, how did we get from gritty realism to loving Martian shape-shifters and talking gorillas?!?"

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I've listened to a few Quiver Podcasts, and they are pretty decent for one that is based on a TV show. Good production, and I think that at least one of the hosts is based in Vancouver, so they know the area that it's being filmed in, and I think they actually check out the filming when they can.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I hope this show goes absolutely balls-to-the-wall crazy with the superpowers and crazy poo poo but does it so gradually that we don't even notice until seven or eight seasons from now when we suddenly ask ourselves, "Wait a second, how did we get from gritty realism to loving Martian shape-shifters and talking gorillas?!?"

I gotta say I'm really annoyed that network execs have essentially forced Arrow to move from relative realism to having superpowers because they wanted a low risk backdoor pilot for Flash. Especially now that it isn't even happening anymore, but the damage is done. Actual superpowers are so overdone, and it's a real shame that Arrow is heading in that direction.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

I gotta say I'm really annoyed that network execs have essentially forced Arrow to move from relative realism to having superpowers because they wanted a low risk backdoor pilot for Flash. Especially now that it isn't even happening anymore, but the damage is done. Actual superpowers are so overdone, and it's a real shame that Arrow is heading in that direction.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I've always loved Arrow's realism *shoots rocket in mid air with an arrow*

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

You might note the word "relative". Shooting rockets in mid air has realism relative to the Flash, Lazarus pits etc.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Well I can't wait. I remember when the later seasons of Smallville actually got better because of this. Then again you could only go up with Smallville...

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Well I can't wait. I remember when the later seasons of Smallville actually got better because of this. Then again you could only go up with Smallville...

Sure, but Smallville was about Superman, who himself has crazy super powers. Green Arrow does not, so I'm not sure it'll improve in the same way. There are so, so many shows about people with superpowers. We don't need another one.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Might have been stockholm syndrome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys, this show has been really awesome so far but I'm going to judge upcoming episodes before I've seen them because reasons! :argh:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shakugan posted:

You might note the word "relative". Shooting rockets in mid air has realism relative to the Flash, Lazarus pits etc.

A dude that can run faster than light speed is infinitely easier to accept than a rich man that thinks the best way to solve social problems is to shoot people in the heart with arrows. Because what do I know, maybe crazy science poo poo happens and here we are, really fast dude. Fair enough, lets go with that.

Shooting people in the heart with arrows is literally never the best solution available to the super rich. Ever.

Like that Russian prison break out. IT'S RUSSIA, JUST THROW WADS OF MONEY IN THEIR FACE. People have bought nuclear weapons with less effort, one woman is an easy get. Company a bit strapped, sell your massive house. There you are, millions of dollars to wildly explode in the face of all problems. The super powers, if they add them, will be far from the least believable aspect of the plot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Besides, putting in superpowers opens the door for GL/GA across American in season 5 :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I've always loved Arrow's realism *shoots rocket in mid air with an arrow*

The most realistic aspect of Arrow is everyone happily using Microsoft electronics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm interesting...let me just Bing that...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Hmmm interesting...let me just Bing that...

Haha, yeah. The superpowers, the dead but not really dead, the science! serums, ninja secret assassin schools, the you name it, and the least realistic thing for me about this show is people enthusiastically using Bing as a search engine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's the reason no one really questions Felicity's promotion. She's there to fix all the BSODs!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Realism might not be the best word, but it is annoying as hell that every time someone points out that some superhero media operates on a scale closer to your typical action movie than a typical comic movie, some smug rear end in a top hat comes with the "Batman disabling dozens of goons is not realistic :smug:".

Everybody knows what is meant by that argument, namely that the movie in question feels more like Bond than Superman. No, neither one is "realistic", but there is undeniably a huge difference between them when it comes to suspension of disbelieve. People are willing to accept Bond a a secret agent that basically walks through legion of mooks, yet they'd still cry havoc if he would start shooting lasers from his eyes.

You might not agree with Shakugan's point, I know I don't, but there are better arguments than "Well, Arrow was never realistic."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In another news, Amell just posted this on his FB

Hopefully a goatee isn't far :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keep in mind that we're still dealing with machines that could fit into the back of a pickup truck that make earthquakes. Those are a thing in the Arrow universe. Super science, and all the things in that Pandora's box, exist in the Arrowverse. Seeing as our Flash's powers are going to come from a science origin, and it's the same with the supersoldier serums we'll be seeing float around, it seems reasonable that superpowers begin to crop up.

In fact, the Markov Devices were a plot object before anything about a Flash backdoor pilot was in development, right? The thread connects just fine, so escalating it from technological superweapons that do implausible things to super serums and particle collider mishaps doesn't exactly snap it in two. I mean, if he goes and takes a swig of industrial runoff and can suddenly use pyrokinesis, consider my suspension of disbelief broken.

So go put that in your RT tablet and Bing it. :smuggo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If he wore the Robin Hood cap instead of the hood he would be pretty drat close to the Silver Age look.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
All he needs now is the Arrowmobile.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's...not bad. Definitely better than the old molded dominos.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If he wore the Robin Hood cap instead of the hood he would be pretty drat close to the Silver Age look.

It (the hood and mask) is actually right on with his current look.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's definitely a step up from the face paint but it's still pretty drat obvious who the Hood is in decent light. It's just something you have to look the other way on, I guess.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hcreight posted:

It's definitely a step up from the face paint but it's still pretty drat obvious who the Hood is in decent light.

Hey, guess what he almost never operates in? For some reason.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Hey, guess what he almost never operates in? For some reason.

Or any light. With Quentin/Roy/whoever standing ten feet away from him.

Don't act like it's not an issue the show just expects you to look past.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hcreight posted:

Or any light. With Quentin/Roy/whoever standing ten feet away from him.

Don't act like it's not an issue the show just expects you to look past.

Yeah, our bad. I'm just going to go back to looking forward to an episode where a dude runs at mach 3. At least for that I don't have to put on my glasses of magical television acceptance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

It's definitely a step up from the face paint but it's still pretty drat obvious who the Hood is in decent light. It's just something you have to look the other way on, I guess.

Don't ever watch Superman.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Argh Goddamnit like I already said

hcreight posted:

It's just something you have to look the other way on, I guess.

But yeah i'm totally the first person in this thread to comment on what a terrible disguise the face paint was. I was just pointing out the mask doesn't really address that issue, for what it's worth.

Now I'm off to wikipedia to look into this "Superman" fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hcreight posted:

Argh Goddamnit like I already said

But yeah i'm totally the first person in this thread to comment on what a terrible disguise the face paint was. I was just pointing out the mask doesn't really address that issue, for what it's worth.

Now I'm off to wikipedia to look into this "Superman" fellow.

You know it's literally just a design choice. It has nothing to do with function, but you're getting bothered like it was. We KNOW it's a bad disguise, but it's iconic...in that way of stupid disguises. They clearly want us always to see the actor (who doesn't :swoon::amell:).

Chillax, man. :feelsgood:

• Locked thread