Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Android doesn't pop up the captive portal automatically, regardless of the app you're in? That's surprising.

There's a notification that will pop up that says "Sign into Wifi" or something and tapping it opens the portal page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

In the UK, for example, free Wi-Fi is not that common and frequently requires you to sign up for email/SMS spam, of turns out to have a paywall, or has a password but none of the staff know what it is, or is slower than HSPA anyway.

I used to regularly visit Seattle for work reasons and it was like living in the future over there.

Edit: Though our data plan prices poo poo all over the US's, do it's less of an issue in general.
This is the weirdest thing about the UK and Europe in general. In the US free WiFi is simply ubiquitous and I expected the same there. It was like being in the 90s.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Android doesn't pop up the captive portal automatically, regardless of the app you're in? That's surprising.

It's been years since I've tried wifi at a store or restaurant, I know I've heard bitching about ATT wifi auto-connecting recently so I just wrongly assumed it was the same. Didn't realize we had that tech now.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Gives you the option for higher quality streams.

Oh. I haven't used the HQ streams. The normal quality is good enough for me

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes driving around I'm off WiFi. But what place that you go Dont have it? Stores all seem to have free WiFi. Restraints do. Malls do. Don't be obtuse.

Managers rarely know poo poo about customers in wireless.

You're more cut off than reps. There's no way you have any idea what you're talking about.

I was promoted from a salesperson dude. I wasn't just put in charge of a store without knowledge of my customer base and product.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

This is the weirdest thing about the UK and Europe in general. In the US free WiFi is simply ubiquitous and I expected the same there. It was like being in the 90s.

In Germany specifically you can and will get sued as an accessory to copyright infringement if you provide free WiFi and someone commits piracy on it. So you basically have to restrict access to your WiFi. It sucks.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Streptovsky posted:

I was promoted from a salesperson dude. I wasn't just put in charge of a store without knowledge of my customer base and product.

Sounds legit.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Wow, that user title was fast.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Apparently Motorola backported BLE into the 4.2 build on the Moto X and its cousins. I signed up for the Fitbit beta list for folks with 2013 Nexus 7s, N5s, and N4s. It pushed the update to my Maxx too, and next thing I know my Fitbit is actually BLE syncing. Pleasant surprise of the day.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Streptovsky posted:

You think Quadrant scores are relevant.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Streptovsky posted:

So you work at the mecca for cell phone needs then?

Funny story. OK not funny. But interestingly enough I brought up what you said to a few reps still in or just left "the industry" while at lunch. And everyone at the table chuckled and said you live in the twilight zone.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Lovely title. I hope whoever did it feels like it was worth it cause I'm just gonna put it back.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You should make that your new title.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

You should make that your new title.

I preferred my Monty Python quote.

Also I don't work in a mall so it's false advertising.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Streptovsky posted:

Lovely title. I hope whoever did it feels like it was worth it cause I'm just gonna put it back.
I guarantee they have more money than you but perhaps less interest.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Streptovsky posted:

I preferred my Monty Python quote.

Also I don't work in a mall so it's false advertising.

Good poo poo.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I guarantee they have more money than you but perhaps less interest.

Waste your money however you want bro I ain't gonna stop you. Only costs me $5 to change it back. But this time could you leave the picture I had? I don't have it on my phone so I can only put it back at home.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My Nexus 4 just crashed again. Switching from Awful to Hangouts, but I have a theory: wireless charging.

Other than that, I have nothing. An iPhone 5S is looking like a good idea since I'm just running a stock Google device and its been crashing nonstop for the past 2 weeks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In my experience, Nexus devices have been the least stable android devices I've owned.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Motorola just updated their upgrade page for the RAZR HD Maxx confirming it will get 4.4...on Verizon. Moto is working some kind of dark magic here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes driving around I'm off WiFi. But what place that you go Dont have it? Stores all seem to have free WiFi. Restraints do. Malls do. Don't be obtuse.
The world's bigger than just the USA. (Can't wait for the kneejerk response to that.)

Over here in Europe this isn't so much the case. If there's Wifi, a lot of times it's just a hotspot from a communications company that wants you to pay for a session. On top of that, the place where I'd need Wifi the most is my workplace, which has coincidentally locked it down for obvious reasons.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Phone posted:

My Nexus 4 just crashed again. Switching from Awful to Hangouts, but I have a theory: wireless charging.

Other than that, I have nothing. An iPhone 5S is looking like a good idea since I'm just running a stock Google device and its been crashing nonstop for the past 2 weeks.

That's called the "Google experience".

Switch to an iphone, they're excellent phones, and the experience is consistent and stable.

My nexus is giving me way more issues than my stock GS3 ever did.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Phone posted:

Did you call Google?

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

Motorola just updated their upgrade page for the RAZR HD Maxx confirming it will get 4.4...on Verizon. Moto is working some kind of dark magic here.

Has there been any word yet on when Motorola is going to roll out the wood cased Moto X phones?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No because I'm trying to eliminate variables because I'm sure that the CSR is going to be able to do a lot with "so my launch Nexus 4 that is running a handful of apps has been an unreliable piece of poo poo for the past 2 weeks". It isn't the best jumping off point to solve this issue.

Edit- words r hard

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

I emailed for kicks. This was regarding the issue with bluetooth I'm having (a page or two back). I've seen several other pages of people with the same issue.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/X6Hwt2qMYDo
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/dsf7hQPesds

I basically just want it on Google's radar so they get around to fixing it. I don't know how to file a proper bug report.

Their response is bullshit. Other people followed the factory reset steps and still have the same issue.

quote:

Sir,

Thank you for contacting Google. The headset question sounds frustrating.

There are several of steps you can do in order to solve this problem.

First-

1. Power the device off by holding the power button down for 2 seconds and choosing 'Power Off'
2. Power the device on and see if the issues have resolved themselves

If that does not work,

Clear the cache partition.

Go into the device's Settings.
Under the Device section, touch"Storage".
Scroll to the bottom and touch "Cached data".
Touch "OK" to confirm.
The cache data will be wiped.
If this does not work a Factory Data Reset will need to performed. This will reset the Nexus 5 back to it's original state as it was when in the box. You do need to backup all data before doing this.

Please reply to this email if you have any further questions or concerns. You can also call us at (855)836-3987 or (855)83NEXUS.

Thanks,

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Phone posted:

No because I'm trying to eliminate variables because I'm sure that the CSR is going to be able to do a lot with "so my launch Nexus 4 that is running a handful of apps has been an unreliable piece of poo poo for the past 2 weeks". It isn't the best jumping off point to solve this issue.

Edit- words r hard
Just call, they pick up almost immediately and they're very friendly. They might not be able to help, but it's worth a shot.

I wonder if it's a hardware problem like your RAM or eMMC failing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Require More Fire posted:

Not only that, a few more were announced as well.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-adds-six-more-phones-android-44-update-list

Droid RAZR M
RAZR HD
RAZR MAXX HD
Atrix HD
Electrify M

I believe all of these aren't even on 4.2 yet, they are all 4.1. So, they'll go from 4.1 to 4.4.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

Not only that, a few more were announced as well.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-adds-six-more-phones-android-44-update-list

Droid RAZR M
RAZR HD
RAZR MAXX HD
Atrix HD
Electrify M

I believe all of these aren't even on 4.2 yet, they are all 4.1. So, they'll go from 4.1 to 4.4.

The Razr HD at least is on 4.1. We'll see if this really happens and how long it takes but I'm pleasantly surprised right now.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I've been having some issues with battery life and taking forever for my nexus 4 to charge. I took a screen shot of the battery settings menu, does this look normal for google play services?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting. As expected, the Moto X doesn't have GEL with 4.4. It DOES, however, have the transparent notification and button areas. These are lacking on the Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10 (and I presume the Nexus 4.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/19/video-hands-on-with-moto-x-android-4-4-kit-kat/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I may have cracked it... (The phone's safety glass has already been cracked)

On the wireless charger, went from Awful to the notification pane to access Hangouts, and then back to the notification pane to go to Gmail and it crashed.

Time for some A-B testing.

E: no dice

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 19, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

Interesting. As expected, the Moto X doesn't have GEL with 4.4. It DOES, however, have the transparent notification and button areas. These are lacking on the Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10 (and I presume the Nexus 4.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/19/video-hands-on-with-moto-x-android-4-4-kit-kat/

The Nexus 7 at least has the APIs for the transparent stuff, Action Launcher already uses them (and I guess Nova too).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Both 4 and 7 have transparent notification and launcher button areas (possibly only after I put in the new GEL launcher stub). Source: I own one of each.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

api call girl posted:

Both 4 and 7 have transparent notification and launcher button areas (possibly only after I put in the new GEL launcher stub). Source: I own one of each.

Using GEL, yes. The stock launcher doesn't have them.

I tried out GEL on the Nexus 7 2013 but reverted. I found it laggy.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

MycroftXXX posted:

I've been having some issues with battery life and taking forever for my nexus 4 to charge. I took a screen shot of the battery settings menu, does this look normal for google play services?

No that's not normal. I had the same happening to my Nexus 5 today. Your phone probably was awake all the time (mine was anyway). Do a reboot, that's what fixed it for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems Motorola is moving faster than Google at the moment. The Moto X DOES support HCE, but the current market app for wallet does not. For now, you can't setup Tap and Pay on the Moto X unless you install the Nexus 5's Wallet APK. Presumably, Google will update the market version for support soon.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

It seems Motorola is moving faster than Google at the moment. The Moto X DOES support HCE, but the current market app for wallet does not. For now, you can't setup Tap and Pay on the Moto X unless you install the Nexus 5's Wallet APK. Presumably, Google will update the market version for support soon.

So, I'm pretty sure I had to install wallet from the market on my 5. Are you sue there is a 5 specific apk? Source: hazy memory of setting up tap and pay last week.

Also, I've used tap and pay twice! Both times at Rite Aid. I will probably do it a third time in a minute when my prescription is ready.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The version of Wallet on the Nexus 5 is higher than the current market version for other devices. It's possible google just needs to whitelist more devices for the newer version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

bronin posted:

No that's not normal. I had the same happening to my Nexus 5 today. Your phone probably was awake all the time (mine was anyway). Do a reboot, that's what fixed it for me.

I've rebooted a couple of times with no success. I don't want to, but should I try a hard reset?

• Locked thread