Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Making turbocharged daquiris. Seriously once you get a taste for the funky Jamacian style wray&nephew is baller. Mix it with grapefruit soda for a real taste of the island (Ting, if you can get it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I use a dash of J. Wray whenever I wanna up the funk in my rum drinks, which is fairly frequently. I also like it with grapefruit.

Bombay Dry is my go-to workhorse gin. If you're looking for something a little nicer, Anchor's Junipero has a fantastic, full-bodied flavor profile that's very juniper-forward. I also love Boodles for a more citrusy gin.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I say it every time someone mentions wray & nephew but atomic daiquiris are the fuckin poo poo on W&N, the grassy notes complement the green chartreuse perfectly and I probably wouldn't touch this drink with a 10 foot pole on any other rum

In roughly equal parts (balance to taste, I like a little less rum, say 5 mls)

Wray and nephew
Lime juice
Green chartreuse

If this isn't sweet enough you can always dump some falernum in there but I like the recipe as is

Also it feels appropriate to use a Jamaican OP rum to make a weed tincture so do that if yr tastes are so inclined

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Since bluecoat isn't available to me up in Canada, what is a good gin for drinks like a last word and a martinez? Right now I have a bottle of Bombay, and about half a bottle left of the Botanist.

My go to where I don't want something floral is Martin Miller's Westbourne. Which you should have in your bar anyways, because it makes the world's best Negroni.

I think Beefeater 24 would rock. It's all spice and aniseed. Tanq 10 is peppery all over the place and would be right at home. And both are available everywhere.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

BrosephofArimathea posted:

My go to where I don't want something floral is Martin Miller's Westbourne. Which you should have in your bar anyways, because it makes the world's best Negroni.

I think Beefeater 24 would rock. It's all spice and aniseed. Tanq 10 is peppery all over the place and would be right at home. And both are available everywhere.

I do love my negronis, so the world's best negroni sounds right up my alley.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Demon_Corsair posted:

I do love my negronis, so the world's best negroni sounds right up my alley.

Though it's hard to get hands on, I think Tanqueray Malacca makes a really great Martinez.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tanqueray Malacca is really very good. For being a modern-style botanical it retains a good deal of punch, which I feel like some of the other botanical gins end up sacrificing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
It's funny, martini and Rossi sweet vermouth is really good, but holy poo poo the dry is bad. We're talking cocktail ruining bad. Tastes unrefined, has a god awful dollar store perfume note to it. This will be the first bottle of any alcohol I'm just going to pour out. I guess ill stick to France for my dry needs.

Also, I want to try a couple of champagne cocktails, but I know nothing about champagne. Is there anything good for under 30 bucks?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you're in the U.S. California "champagne" is usually a good value. I like the Roederer Estate and Piper Sonoma. You should also check out Cava from Spain for great value, just stay away from Freixenet.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Last word trip report.

Some sips all i can taste is marashino. Other sips... its loving magical.

I may drop the marashino a bit for the next one since to me it really seems to dominate anything its in.

Also I wasn't paying attention and put in 1.5 oz of everything instead of just 1 oz ...

Canada/ Western Canada goons, Alberta Premium Dark Horse seems pretty good. And its still only $28 for 750ml. I need to get some vermouth so I can get it into a manhatten.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

It's funny, martini and Rossi sweet vermouth is really good, but holy poo poo the dry is bad. We're talking cocktail ruining bad. Tastes unrefined, has a god awful dollar store perfume note to it. This will be the first bottle of any alcohol I'm just going to pour out. I guess ill stick to France for my dry needs.

Also, I want to try a couple of champagne cocktails, but I know nothing about champagne. Is there anything good for under 30 bucks?

For champagne cocktails I like to use Chandon, usually. I can get it for around $13/bottle, and at that price point I don't feel too bad about using it freely. Much cheaper than that and things get a bit rank.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Last word trip report.

Some sips all i can taste is marashino. Other sips... its loving magical.

I may drop the marashino a bit for the next one since to me it really seems to dominate anything its in.

Also I wasn't paying attention and put in 1.5 oz of everything instead of just 1 oz ...

Canada/ Western Canada goons, Alberta Premium Dark Horse seems pretty good. And its still only $28 for 750ml. I need to get some vermouth so I can get it into a manhatten.

If you don't mind me asking what gin are you using? Because I only get a hint of almond in mine. I'm going to try subbing in Grand Mariner instead of maraschino and see what happens.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

Tanqueray Malacca is really very good. For being a modern-style botanical it retains a good deal of punch, which I feel like some of the other botanical gins end up sacrificing.

Have you tried Bluecoat? I'm currently loving it in everything gin related I've thrown it into. I think it balances the juniper with citrus quite well. The only things I could see it being problematic in would be a G&T or a Martini if you prefer a heavier style gin in them. Although to be honest, I prefer a cheap aggressive gin like Gordon's in my G&Ts.

I think Bluecoat might become my go to gin for the near future. It's the same price as Tanq,Bombay and Beefeater's, and I like the citrus edge it has. Right now I'm drinking a Gimlet, and it's nice and crisp, the orange peel comes through and mingles with the lime quite well.

I challenge anyone to be sad while drinking a good Gimlet. It's just such a happy goddamn drink.

Why don't we have a gin thread again? There's questions about gin on every page, and with the discussion of gin cocktails like the Last Word, Aviation, French 75, etc I think there would be enough to talk about. I mean there's a rum thread and a whiskey thread, I think a gin thread would work too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As I've stated before, gin threads die because it is just not a collector spirit. It's rare that anyone has more than one gin in the house, maybe two if they've got a fancy gin they like to have around occasionally. Whisk(e)y and rum are wide-ranging, hugely varied spirits which are often produced in several different expressions as a matter of course, as well as regularly being released as special editions or independent bottlings with surprising characters. I can't think of any gin producer who makes more than 3 expressions, and also gins ultimately end up being variations on a relatively narrow theme.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and it might be worth a thread if some gin-crazed enthusiast wants to lay some wisdom down – and if you want to be that guy, god bless you. I just don't see it lasting more than 2 or 3 pages.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need help figuring out my booze situation.

This is what I currently have:
Angostura bitters
Hendrick's
Woodford Reserve
Grant's
Ardbeg 10
Campari
Martini Rosso sweet vermouth

Unfortunately, there are only 3 liquor stores in this country (Bahrain) and they don't have a great selection of stuff. I can find the odd gem here and there, but for the most part, it's just the basics.

Fortunately, I've got some family coming in about a month from the UK and they can bring two bottles each (woo hoo!), so that gives me a grand total of 6 bottles.

This is what I think I need:
Dark Rum - Pusser's? I can get Angostura 7yr, Lambs Navy, Myers Dark, Havana Club 7yr, and Appleton Estate Extra here.
Light Rum - Do I need light rum?
Gin - I can get Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, Tanq (and tanq 10), Gordons and Beefeater here. Should I add something else to the list? Can't get Bluecoat in the UK unfortunately :(
Chartreuse - Green, right?
Maraschino - This one: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7875.aspx or this one:http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3256.aspx ?
Bitters - I can only get Angostura here. Shall I get any of these? http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-345.aspx

So, from the UK, I definitely need Chartreuse, Maraschino and bitters. What else do you suggest?

EDIT: Holy hell how did I forget about Rye?! Rittenhouse 100 proof?

angor fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 13, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

If you don't mind me asking what gin are you using? Because I only get a hint of almond in mine. I'm going to try subbing in Grand Mariner instead of maraschino and see what happens.

Just some plain jane Bombay Sapphire.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

rxcowboy posted:

Go with a Cava or Prosecco.

rxcowboy posted:

Have you tried Bluecoat? I'm currently loving it in everything gin related I've thrown it into.

I've been telling this thread to buy Bluecoat for I don't know how long. Seconding this rec, it's a great bottle.

angor posted:

Need help figuring out my booze situation.

You want a different gin besides Hendricks. While it is good, it's not what I would call a regular gin. The obvious omission from your wishlist is a bottle of orange liqueur. Cynar would play nicely with most of the things you already have as well. As far as bitters go get Angostura, orange, and Peychaud's, then go from there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

earlier I posted:

I have some Bacardi Gold that I'm thoroughly regretting buying. I'm infusing most of it but there's still some left that I am tempted to set fires with. I have some fresh pineapple hangning out in the fridge; would pinapple mash, brown sugar and bad rum work? I guess we'll find out!

This is a terrible idea and just makes me regret wasting pineapple.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rxcowboy posted:

It's not technically champagne, but Saint-Hilaire is $10 at Costco (at least the one near me). It is delicious and definitely good enough for a champagne cocktail.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

It's funny, martini and Rossi sweet vermouth is really good

Told you. And I really wish I could get 375ml bottles of good dry around here :(

E: Can we keep the good bubbly recommendations rolling? I am trying to stock up a few bottle for upcoming events/to dip my toes in sparkling wines and it is really appreciated.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 13, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, on the Dry Martini and Rossi, the only option in my area other than that is "Stock Brand" dry. Which is least worst?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Stock is better. It is simple and pretty :geno: but won't ruin a drink.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Made a Tailspin last night

1 part gin
1 part Green Chartreuse
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1/4 part Campari

It was good, but in the spirit of a Last Word--->Final Ward, I remade it with rye and the same proportions. It was delicious.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I came really close to picking up a hammered stainless bowl for holiday punchery, yesterday. My inner cheapskate talked me out of it, but I think I am going to break down and go back for it.

Kenning, I blame you :retrogames: I am going to need good Christmas/winter solstice/New Year's punch ideas.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 18, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Went to a fabulous cocktail bar in Woburn, MA (basically, I could ask for anything, or just say "I want something with rye and maybe not too sweet" and they'll make something delicious") and decided, hell, I barely know what's in it but I'll order a Last Word. It was great!

Also, they have something called Leopold's Peach Whiskey which was basically a cordial and it was incredible and I want a bottle of it.

edit: it's this poo poo http://www.leopoldbros.com/Rocky_Mountain_Peach_Whiskey.html

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 18, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

I came really close to picking up a hammered stainless bowl for holiday punchery, yesterday. My inner cheapskate talked me out of it, but I think I am going to break down and go back for it.

Kenning, I blame you :retrogames: I am going to need good Christmas/winter solstice/New Year's punch ideas.

I like to make at least one pot of Flaming Bishop during the holidays, though that is best served from a crock-pot. I've made Boston Club Punch for New Year's and found it very appropriately festive. Also, bear in mind that Seville oranges will be in season any minute now and there's a punch for that. I can't wait until orange punch season again.`

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kenning posted:

I like to make at least one pot of Flaming Bishop during the holidays, though that is best served from a crock-pot. I've made Boston Club Punch for New Year's and found it very appropriately festive. Also, bear in mind that Seville oranges will be in season any minute now and there's a punch for that. I can't wait until orange punch season again.`

I said it literally right after that post, and I'll say it again. I love reading your punch posts. :unsmith:

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I'm a bit of a newbie as far as cocktails go. I made my first Derby last night after seeing it suggested in this thread, and it's basically what I've always wanted in a cocktail - easily my favorite.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kenning posted:

Speaking of punches, any opinions on this Rosemary, Baby!? I'm afraid the Aperol will overpower the rosemary.

I'm going to a friend's Thanksgiving this year and want to bring this. I'll be visiting from out of town, so I won't have my typical choice of punch bowls. Do you think I could pick up a cheap punch bowl at Target or something like that?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Your scotch section has a serious lack of Ardbeg. I recommend fixing that post haste, good chap. The current Ardbog release, if you can find it, is the best embodiment of the distillery. And Islay malts in general.

This was wonderful advice. Thank you very much. I just picked up a bottle the other day.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Klauser posted:

I've been telling this thread to buy Bluecoat for I don't know how long. Seconding this rec, it's a great bottle.

Is it too late to third Bluecoat? Bought it on this thread's recommendation a few days ago and my god, the quality you get for the price you pay is amazing. I've been making nothing but gin drinks finding what tastes better with quality gin.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

A new BevMo opened today less than a mile from my house. I'm not sure if this is going to be a good or bad thing, but I will have fun finding out.

If you have Regan's orange bitters do yourself a favor and make a Zim Zala Bim. It's another one of Jamie Boudreau's recipes and it's pretty tasty. I added a barspoon of mezcal and the smoke really plays nicely with the coriander in the bitters.

Zim Zala Bim
2oz reposado tequila
0.25oz 2:1 simple syrup
0.25oz St. Germaine
0.25oz (not a typo) Regan's orange bitters
stir/strain/coupe/grapefruit peel

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Cross posting of sorts from the whiskey thread: I'm looking for a new mixing bourbon. I've been using Evan Williams Black, which is fine if I want something simple like mixing it with cola, or an old fashioned. But it's not the best in cocktails like a Manhattan or Derby. Not bad, but not the best. I have better single barrel bourbons, but I tend to save those for sipping neat or making a really good Manhattan. I'm looking for a good middle of the road mixing bourbon. I wouldn't be looking to sip it neat, just make a good cocktail. I'm looking at Wild Turkey now since I've never really worked with it before and I feel like I'm overlooking a piece of American history. Same with Old Grandad 86 or 100. But if anyone else has any suggestions I'm game.

I need to go back to the liquor store in a few days since they had Redemption Rye for 17 bucks, and I've heard good things about it so I might try it for a month and see how it fares compared to my beloved Rittenhouse.

Edit: Completely unrelated, by my local stores has Wray and Nephew for 10 dollars. Is this a decent rum for mixing and making a few different cocktails, or is it a one trick pony sort of rum? I've never had it before and I've heard it has a very unique taste.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 24, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Makers Mark has actually done really well for me as a go to bourbon for mixing in cocktails. I haven't had too long to play around with it as we just got it in, but Bulliet is great bang for your buck as well if you can find it. Not sure how they stack up against the EW as I've never been able to get Evan Williams before, so I don't really know how they compare but I've heard nothing but good things about it, especially value wise.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't stand Maker's in cocktails, I feel like it's flabby and easy to lose in the mix.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kenning posted:

I can't stand Maker's in cocktails, I feel like it's flabby and easy to lose in the mix.

Depends on the cocktail i guess. We did a comparative tasting with a bunch of different bourbons in a mint julep after work one night and the makers was the unanimous winner. The outcome was actually the opposite of being flabby and getting lost, it still stayed sharp and stood out far better than anything else.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For mixing bourbons I usually rotate the following bottles:
Buffalo Trace
Bullet
Elijah Craig 12 year
Four Roses (cheapest)

And I try to always have some Weller for wheated bourbon cocktails. As a disclaimer I have not had Evan Williams Black.

/e - Makers is good on occasion and ladies tend to like it for some reason, but for the price point and what it offers you should not use it as your staple mixer.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Quick question:

Several years ago my parents received from some friends returning from a trip to Russia, a small bottle of Aralievaya Nastoyka, or something to that effect. Just what is this stuff (booze, obviously), and can it be used in anything?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Meaty Ore posted:

Quick question:

Several years ago my parents received from some friends returning from a trip to Russia, a small bottle of Aralievaya Nastoyka, or something to that effect. Just what is this stuff (booze, obviously), and can it be used in anything?

I think this will help

I've never heard of the stuff myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
The internet isn't helping, so now I'm really intrigued. What does it taste like?