Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It costs 10,000 NT because it's good for ten years. After ten years, you have to renew it at the same cost. It works as your work visa so you can quit jobs without immediate repercussions. Yes, you can walk into any company in Taiwan and scream, "Hire me!" at them at an ever increasing volume until they ask you to leave because no one who speaks English is on shift at the time. You can also teach private lessons. My understanding is that a lot of schools, like real actual schools, will also be willing to hire you if you have an APRC but no teaching license. The reason being that a real school cannot sponsor a work visa without the license, but if you already have the visa, they can give you a made up title. I believe a friend of mine was even able to sponsor his wife's ARC through his APRC, but I'm not sure how that worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Thanks for this. I guess if you need to apply within 2 years of eligibility, I shouldn't put it off forever. I have a few more questions about the process, not necessarily directed at you specifically but anyone who might be knowledgable.

I poked around that website (which apparently I already had in my bookmarks?) and it seems like it still says that you need to get the police check from your home country translated and notarized and stuff. Of course, I don't doubt you since you just went through the process, I'm just wondering if I'm missing the "You don't need it if you haven't ever left the country for more than 3 months" exemption thing, or if their website really is that out of date. I'm assuming the latter, which is just sad, but it does say it was updated this year so maybe I just don't see it!

So basically it seems like I just need to get copies of my work permits from my second school. I guess they never gave it to me because they handled the ARC application process for me. Hope they still have documents from 2009-2011, but I'm not too hopeful. :( I'll send them a nice registered letter and hope for a response.

Now, this may seem beyond stupid, but is there a good resource online (preferably from a Taiwanese government site, not just some random forumosa page or whatever) with a layout of how the APRC exactly works and what its benefits are? Like, I get that it's "permanent", but I assume you'd need to get it renewed every once in a while or something? I always understood that it meant that you could stay in Taiwan even if you weren't constantly employed, something which I think would be great if I wanted to really search for a good long-term job. But I don't know, like do you still need to get work permits when you hold an APRC or could you (in theory) walk into any Taiwanese company and be like "hire me"? It seems weird that on that page you linked there isn't a good summary of just what an APRC is and what it entails, but maybe I'm missing it, again because the layout and design of the site seems to be from a bygone era of the internet.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I guess I've got it on my mind these days.

You need to get your Aprc renewed whenever you get a new passport. So every 10 years or so. You can't just walk into any building and scream "hire me" with an aprc because residence is not permission to work.

That is an important distinction to remember. What you can do is walk into the labor bureau (located near the daqiaotou carrefour) and scream "Give me an open work permit". Then you can work wherever doing whatever.

Once you have an open work permit, all sorts of places are totally interested in having you do work for them, because it's SUPER EASY for them, compared to your average foreigner. You need to pay a foreigner 47,000NT a month salary to get them a work permit. When you have an open work permit they can pay you case-by-case or whatever the hell they want, and it's all over the table.

quote:

I believe a friend of mine was even able to sponsor his wife's ARC through his APRC, but I'm not sure how that worked.

It's me! I am that friend. Yes my wife has a residence permit through my APRC, because she's my wife and taiwan doesn't break up families just to be a dick *cough*America*cough*. However, as I said before, that does nothing for her ability to find jobs, and she still needs to meet the 47,000 bucks requirement like any other foreigner on the street in order to get a legal work permit.

quote:

You need to be married to someone who has been here for 10 years, and has been here more than half a year each year for the last 5 years(as much as I can interpret from their website, ymmv)

I'd be really interested in seeing a source for this.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 19, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh poo poo, I thought the APRC was the open work permit. My bad!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's me! I am that friend. Yes my wife has a residence permit through my APRC, because she's my wife and taiwan doesn't break up families just to be a dick *cough*America*cough*. However, as I said before, that does nothing for her ability to find jobs, and she still needs to meet the 47,000 bucks requirement like any other foreigner on the street in order to get a legal work permit.

At least they do that. My wife and I quit on the same day, she's Vietnamese, I'm American. I went to the visa office to get a 3 month extension, and when I got it, I brought my wife in to have hers extended as well due to being married to me. So her ARC says "Reason for stay: Wife" in Chinese.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Thanks to the recent discussion in this thread I spent the entire morning sorting through 5 years of documents and organizing them in a nice folder rather than just "that desk drawer with my important papers or whatever."

I think I'm pretty much set, except for the missing work permits for 2010-2011, and I've typed up a letter requesting them from my old school which I'll send to them via registered mail tomorrow.

Good to know about the APRC and the distinction between getting it and an Open Work Permit. After getting the APRC, is getting the Open Work Permit truly as simple as walking into the labor bureau and screamingasking for it? No other requirements or whatever, just go in, ask for it, and you're good to go?

If the APRC is good for ten years (or whenever your passport expires), when you renew it, is it a simple process or does it involve submitting all of this poo poo again? Just curious, getting way ahead of myself because I need to see if I can even procure the required documents in the first place.

And Spanish Matlock, you're the one who told me that marriage to a Taiwanese person gets you a JFRV not an APRC (I have no idea what a JFRV is or what the difference is!). But on the page that duckfarts linked, it clearly says:

quote:

Applying for an APRC: foreign nations who has legally and continuously resided in the State for five years and has stayed for more than one hundred and eighty-three days each year, or the alien spouse and/or children of a national with valid household registration in the Taiwan Area who have legally resided in the State for ten years, during which period the spouse and/or children have physically resided in the State for more than one hundred and eighty-three days each year for at least five years.

So it does seem you could get an APRC, but your Taiwanese spouse has to have legally resided in Taiwan for 10 years, and you'd have to have spent at least half a year in Taiwan for 5 years. It doesn't say continuously, though, so perhaps that's a difference between the standalone, APRC through working continuously and legally for 5 years requirement, and the APRC through marriage requirement. It just says you physically need to be here (which I have) and possibly not even continuously. Good to know that even if I can't get ahold of my stupid work permits I should have a chance, anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I find screaming in government offices to be the solution to most of my problems here.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

So it does seem you could get an APRC, but your Taiwanese spouse has to have legally resided in Taiwan for 10 years, and you'd have to have spent at least half a year in Taiwan for 5 years. It doesn't say continuously, though, so perhaps that's a difference between the standalone, APRC through working continuously and legally for 5 years requirement, and the APRC through marriage requirement. It just says you physically need to be here (which I have) and possibly not even continuously. Good to know that even if I can't get ahold of my stupid work permits I should have a chance, anyway.

Ah! That must be the part he was talking about. I suspect that the "who" clause is connected to the alien, not the national. It's hard to tell because regardless there's some subject/verb disagreement going on.

quote:

If the APRC is good for ten years (or whenever your passport expires), when you renew it, is it a simple process or does it involve submitting all of this poo poo again? Just curious, getting way ahead of myself because I need to see if I can even procure the required documents in the first place.

No, permanent means permanent in this case, you have to "renew" your aprc like you have to renew it when you change addresses. It's more a matter of updating the information. As I understand it new passports have new ID numbers, probably as an anti-forgery measure? Keeps you from selling your old passports to someone?

quote:

Good to know about the APRC and the distinction between getting it and an Open Work Permit. After getting the APRC, is getting the Open Work Permit truly as simple as walking into the labor bureau and screamingasking for it? No other requirements or whatever, just go in, ask for it, and you're good to go?

There's a form to fill out and you need pictures of yourself and your passport and your APRC, but other than that you don't have to do any document hunting for that one, no. It's supposed to take a week to get it back to you but I walked out with mine the same day. YMMV.

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=84841

Here's the site I used when applying.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 19, 2013

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sweet deals on the permanent being permanent deal, I figured there'd be a form to fill/fees to pay but yeah as long as it's not a matter of showing fifteen different documents or whatever, that's pretty cool. Same thing with the open work permit. It's been an educational day for sure :)

I was definitely confused about the "who" in that clause as well, but since they later go on to specify residency requirements for the "spouse and/or children," I guessed that the "who" referred to the national. It certainly is unclear, I guess we'd need to find the original Chinese of the law to hopefully clarify it.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Maybe someone here knows but a friend of mine has an APRC but has let his passport expire. Is he able to just renew his passport and change the information on his APRC?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
To stop the APRC talk and go back to pinyin for a moment:

Bloodnose posted:

edit: for pinyin discussion, you will pry 'Hong Kong' from my cold, dead hands. I hope I never live to see it called 'Xiang Gang' on an English map.

I think this gets a pass because it is British-ized bastardization of the Cantonese version of XiangGang, no? Just like Peking is the British-ized Cantonese for Beijing. The former is cool beans, but the latter isn't. (I hope the reasons are clear.) Taiwan is full of Mandarin speakers (now), so I think it is a better argument to give the cities and places here pinyin names that aren't loving god awful and confusing. I know it's too late for Taipei and other big cities, but it's not too late for Zhubei (竹北), which is written Chupei, Zubei, Jubei, and Jhubei depending on what sign you are looking at. Also, using whatever-the-gently caress pinyin you feel like makes things confusing as hell for Taiwanese too, not just foreigners. Many Taiwanese young'uns are under the impression that 台北 has two pronunciations: a Chinese and an English. That is just... frustrating. Also, it's not like Chinese doesn't have a god drat "pei" sound (配合的配 and 陪 for two big examples) already. The sheer amount of confusion created by the bullshit anything-goes pinyin here is maddening and likely never-ending. One more example, this time a name: I have a student named 羅君 (should be luo2 jun1) who romanizes her name Luo Chun. I asked her to say the character for her given name (君) and spring (春) and tell me which one sounded more like "chun". The light bulb was instantaneous.

As for this:

hitension posted:

Man, why the massive hardon for pinyin? The way I see it is that HYPY is only readable to people who actually have studied HYPY anyway. Nobody can read those Zs,Qs, and Xs. I mean "Xie" and "Hsieh" are probably both going to be pronounced equally wrong by an English speaker who doesn't know Chinese...
Just out of curiosity, do you write Gaoxiong and Taizhong and such too?

I do kinda feel that Taiwan should pick one system and stick with it, but I'm not convinced that HYPY is all that.

I don't think it's about being able to read things so much as recognize them and thus avoid headaches. Another example: there is a company in Taiwan called 龍泉 (long2quan2) that romanizes their name Long Chuan. Now, Chuan represents a different sound than Quan in the vast majority of people's minds(船 vs. 全). No one seems to account for that in this country and whoever is in charge of the romanization just does a silly approximation. Another example: a tour bus company called 大南 being written TaNan. Ta (他) and Da (大) are clearly different sounds. One is better represented by a "T" and the other a "D". But no one who is given romanizing jobs in this country understand this, even in 2013, and despite the entire country's higher education Chinese-language education system using HYPY. The two most popular series of textbooks are both HYPY.

But again, to get back to my main point: readable is of secondary importance to recognizable. A standardized system needs to exist so foreign tourists and people who live here but for whatever reason don't bother to learn even basic Chinese can recognize stuff. And so the government and companies look at least a little professional and with-it.

quote:

It's also missing certain sounds (think I already complained about this in the Chinese language thread so I'll leave it at that)

This I am curious about. Can you share an example or two?

One last thing: I always thought that HYPY was first developed for Russians and was based on the cyrillic alphabet, hence the weird uses of "x" and "q" etc. And not, like someone said, an internal system. Or if it was an internal system, it was developed with the cyrillic and not roman alphabet first, only later being moved into the roman alphabet. But that is just what I vaguely remember from my one year of Chinese in America.

Edit: Last part sounded a bit strange.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 19, 2013

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, my ARC doesn't even expire for like a loving year so I'm not planning anything right now. I basically have the choice of either sticking around for another year and getting the APRC or saying gently caress it and moving on with my life to something different. I was mostly just thinking about the logistics of finishing my work week and getting on a plane the same day.

The woman whose job I took over just asked our boss to report that she quit work on the same day her flight left, as opposed to two weeks earlier which was the truth. So maybe if your boss is nice s/he'll do you a solid.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Just like Peking is the British-ized Cantonese for Beijing.
Nope. It's not Cantonese, it's actually based on Chinese, dating back about 400 years, it just fossilized a pronunciation that underwent a shift in the north but not in the south, hence the similarity.

quote:

One last thing: I always thought that HYPY was first developed for Russians and was based on the cyrillic alphabet, hence the weird uses of "x" and "q" etc.
Nope again. It was developed by Zhou Youguang in the early 50s as part of governmental orthographic reforms. Beyond it being intended to be internal from the start, though, I don't know much about it's development. I agree that there's got to be some Russian influence in there, though, if just for the "zh".

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Nope. It's not Cantonese, it's actually based on Chinese
Something a little off about this quote...

And nobody answered my question about regular Taipei goon meets so I guess there are none?

I'll see what my schedule is like this weekend and see if I can't set up an impromptu one sometime next week.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

And nobody answered my question about regular Taipei goon meets so I guess there are none?

I'll see what my schedule is like this weekend and see if I can't set up an impromptu one sometime next week.

I'm free all next week so I'm up for a goonmeet. caberham seems to organize most of the goonmeets in Asia so you should probably ask him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are a handful of goons that get together regularly for drinking, but it's mostly because our social circles overlap and less because we're goons. Most of us have been kind of busy recently, but if you picked a date I bet we could make something happen.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Nope again. It was developed by Zhou Youguang in the early 50s as part of governmental orthographic reforms. Beyond it being intended to be internal from the start, though, I don't know much about it's development. I agree that there's got to be some Russian influence in there, though, if just for the "zh".

Hanyu Pinyin was based primarily on older attempts at Chinese phonetic systems, mainly Gwoyeu Romatzyh, Latinxua Sin Wenz, and Zhuyin Fuhao. Both of those were designed in the 20's and 30's, with Latinxua Sin Wenz actually being the first phonetic system for Chinese using non-Chinese characters designed by Chinese people.

Gwoyeu Romatzyh was designed by a fellow named Zhao Yuanren who studied at Harvard, and as a result the letters have a kind of English-y vibe to them. Conversely, Latinxua Sin Wenz was created by a guy named Qu Qiubai in Moscow, and some Russian linguists helped him. This is where the Russian-ness comes from in Pinyin. They actually considered using the Cyrillic alphabet initially but decided the Latin alphabet better suited the system they were making.

Latinxua Sin Wenz was actually built to be able to be used for any Chinese topolect. Sounds great in theory, but it leads to a lot of confusion when you're unsure of what topolect it's describing. It was also designed with the intent of working independently from characters if not just outright superseding them. The system had some short-term success, and a lot of influential dudes like Lu Xun and Guo Moruo were supporters of it. They even published whole newspapers in it through the 40's.

People were also generally unhappy with Zhuyin Fuhao, first promulgated in 1912 and was the most commonly used system even in the bad 'ol Commie mainland until the late 50's when Hanyu Pinyin took over. A lot of this had to do with the feelings intellectuals like Lu Xun had about how Characters and character-like stuff were holding everyone back, some with the fact they were partially inspired by Japanese kana (Zhang Binglin, the guy who picked all the Zhuyin symbols, met Sun Yat-Sen while in Japan and most of the leadership in the early post-Qing era were Japanese educated) and feelings towards the Japanese were at an all-time low, and others just wanting to "fit in" with the rest of the world and use Latin characters.

Zhou Youguang basically stood on the shoulders of giants and hoped to create a more perfect system, which lead to Pinyin. He did more simplification and streamlining than anything, though. Gwoyeu Romatzyh's problems lied in being super complicated and trying to do too much. Attempts to teach it to people in northeastern China were all failures, and despite Latinxua Sin Wenz's short-term success it also proved to have it's fair share of difficulties (It had absolutely no tonal markers, for instance). If anything Pinyin more closely resembles a romanized Zhuyin Fuhao than any previous attempt to romanize Chinese characters, Zhuyin Fuhao is also where Zhouyouguang took the tone markers from.

sorry for the :words:

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 20, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The u/v problem in Pinyin is really only a problem with L and N initial consonants. So long as you are taught from the beginning that when the u is paired with a "hissing" consonant, it has the umlaut sound and when it's with the other consonants it doesn't, it shouldn't be a problem. L and N are the only time it has to be distinguished since they can be paired with either vowel sound.

The only other problem I have with HYPY is the vowel "a" since it also carries two distinct sounds depending on which consonant or diphthong it's paired with.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Something a little off about this quote...

poo poo, I swear I wrote 'Middle' before that 'Chinese'.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I wrote a movie review for The China Post today, so if any of you see a copy of it lying in the street or a garbage can or whatever, check out page 8 if you wanna know about the new Hunger Games movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I'm tentatively down, work permitting.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm probably going to want to be drinking something somewhere tomorrow night. Any ideas?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

I wrote a movie review for The China Post today, so if any of you see a copy of it lying in the street or a garbage can or whatever, check out page 8 if you wanna know about the new Hunger Games movie.

did you use the terms "a loving travesty", "an insult to cinematic history", or "just NOPE!"

if not, ill pass.

Might be up for a late beer or so late in the evening. Gonna tackle the purple cafe mountain tomorrow afternoon. If someone sees fit to do a LINE location, that's be muchos appreciated.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What are the odds of The Nymphomaniac getting a release out here? Also, who wants to have a sexy viewing party if it does? Note: Lars Von Trier's idea of a sexy viewing party may include, but not be limited to, mutilated genitals, the execution of blind Icelanders, forced prostitution set to David Bowie, Stellan Skarsgård, Danish dongs, and black people.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'd say there's a good chance of it getting a week or two's showing at Spot. Outside of that, you're likely going to have to wait for the Taipei International Film Festival.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Probably going to hit up revolver or the wall tonight. Anyone interested?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Atlas Hugged posted:

What are the odds of The Nymphomaniac getting a release out here? Also, who wants to have a sexy viewing party if it does? Note: Lars Von Trier's idea of a sexy viewing party may include, but not be limited to, mutilated genitals, the execution of blind Icelanders, forced prostitution set to David Bowie, Stellan Skarsgård, Danish dongs, and black people.

I'd see that. I've been feeling too cheerful lately.

More beer chat: Taiwan Beer is selling big bottles of a limited edition heffeweise and it's probably best thing they've ever brewed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I mean... I could go to Revolver tonight. Nothing is stopping me. But it's so far and how do I get home?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean... I could go to Revolver tonight. Nothing is stopping me. But it's so far and how do I get home?

Step 1: move to taipei.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Step 1: move to taipei.
Step 2: institute 24-hour public transit

Walked around 101 and Xiangshan象山 stations this evening. Anyone taking some sweet free rides tomorrow?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

kenner116 posted:

Walked around 101 and Xiangshan象山 stations this evening. Anyone taking some sweet free rides tomorrow?

Xinyi-Anhe station is on the same block as my apartment, so I'm going to ride it EVERYWHERE.

Anyone bought glasses here? I'm due for new frames and a stronger prescription. What kind of costs would I be looking at?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Xinyi-Anhe station is on the same block as my apartment, so I'm going to ride it EVERYWHERE.

Anyone bought glasses here? I'm due for new frames and a stronger prescription. What kind of costs would I be looking at?

3000-5000NT, upper end is for name brand lenses like Nikon/Hoya/IForgot, these are high index thin lenses with coatings too. Frames within this price range aren't name brand like Burberry or anything, but includes pretty nice stuff that includes plastics, titanium super-flex frames, and rimless frames.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

3000-5000NT, upper end is for name brand lenses like Nikon/Hoya/IForgot, these are high index thin lenses with coatings too. Frames within this price range aren't name brand like Burberry or anything, but includes pretty nice stuff that includes plastics, titanium super-flex frames, and rimless frames.

Yeah, about that price is right. I got new glasses for about 7000 but I went all out.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
What about contacts? It looks like the Costco would just sell them. Do I need an exam and a 'scrip or can I just roll in with an old box and say I need this?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

poetrywhore posted:

What about contacts? It looks like the Costco would just sell them. Do I need an exam and a 'scrip or can I just roll in with an old box and say I need this?

afaik any of those glasses shops you can find will do you right on contacts.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

Any glasses shop, no prescription needed and they can measure you right there even.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Taipei is fun and the weather is beautiful. My schedule for the week is a work in progress but I know some of my meetings will be taking the form of parties that will include free beer and may have room for random goons.

I just remembered I have a Line. My ID is bloodnose

You guys should add me to your Taipei Line group and if there isn't one, it needs to be formed.

Okay bye I'm gonna go ride the new MRT line back and forth.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, why don't we have a Taiwan Goons Line group?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just made one. It's not named very originally.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If it's not called "家裡有樓梯嗎?" you done hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've been offered a job at HESS (:toot:) and they're asking where I'd like to work. I should think I've got a pretty high chance of ending up in Taipei anyway, but does anyone know if there are any particular good or branches to request (or bad branches to avoid)? I'm not thinking about the location so much as the school itself. Thanks!