Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Technically speaking, first wouldn't indicate platform parity (it would potentially indicate platform superiority.)
Kind of my point.

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd say SwiftKey is fantastic, too.
You can't have alternate keyboards on iOS so that hardly counts.

effika posted:

Duolingo.

To be fair, it did start out as a website first, and I don't know what your definition of "great" is unless it's just popular.

Wikipedia posted:

On 13 November 2012 Duolingo released their iOS app through the iTunes App Store.[24] The app can be downloaded for free and is compatible with most iPhone, iPod, and iPad devices.[25] On 29 May 2013, Duolingo released their Android app, which was downloaded over a million times in the first three weeks and quickly became the #1 education app in the Google Play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Kind of my point.

I'm not actually sure what point you were trying to make then.

There's no disputing that iOS has had a more mature platform for longer. That would naturally lead to things coming out on the platform first and then later going to Android.

That gap has shrunk though. Most competent developers target iOS and Android for simultaneous releases now (approval process delays notwithstanding.)

Anyone grandstanding on how the marginal cost of one platform over the other doesn't make what they are doing worth doing is either playing political theater or just plain not good at their job.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Is it possible for android to be connected to more than one bluetooth device simaltaneously?

I have a bluetooth system in my car already for receiving calls, but it doesn't support A2DP.
If I was to get a wireless music receiver and chuck that in the car as well - would my phone be capable of connecting to both, sending the music to the receiver, and calls to the headset?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

That having been said, can anyone think of any great app that came to Android first? Even one? Instagram, Vine, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump--you name it and it started on iOS. Until there's some great apps that start out exclusive on Android then move over by popular demand to iOS you just can't say that reality is backing up all of these stories and anecdotes about platform parity.

Maybe Foursqure?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'm not actually sure what point you were trying to make then.

There's no disputing that iOS has had a more mature platform for longer. That would naturally lead to things coming out on the platform first and then later going to Android.

That gap has shrunk though. Most competent developers target iOS and Android for simultaneous releases now (approval process delays notwithstanding.)

Anyone grandstanding on how the marginal cost of one platform over the other doesn't make what they are doing worth doing is either playing political theater or just plain not good at their job.
The only reason this is being discussed is because a user noted the second-tier status of Android as a platform once moving to it. The point I'm trying to make is that yes, that's an accurate assessment. I agree that the gap has shrunk but there's still a gap. If the gap was closed we'd be seeing apps break through from initially launching on Android into the mainstream but we aren't, but we still are seeing apps launch with iOS exclusivity that are, like Snapchat.

My point is that iOS is still the driver of the industry and that Android is a second class citizen.

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe Foursqure?
Foursquare almost predates Android itself. The guys who founded it made the thing that got bought then turned into Google Latitude.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Spekkio posted:

Is it possible for android to be connected to more than one bluetooth device simaltaneously?

I have a bluetooth system in my car already for receiving calls, but it doesn't support A2DP.
If I was to get a wireless music receiver and chuck that in the car as well - would my phone be capable of connecting to both, sending the music to the receiver, and calls to the headset?

This is my exact situation and I bought a little bluetooth receiver to plug into my aux jack and it works just like you want it to. I have a Nexus 4, however, so it might depend on whatever bluetooth stack your phone is using.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

If the gap was closed we'd be seeing apps break through from initially launching on Android into the mainstream but we aren't, but we still are seeing apps launch with iOS exclusivity that are, like Snapchat.

My point is that iOS is still the driver of the industry and that Android is a second class citizen.

This is where we are going to have to agree to disagree. The gap being closed means that apps are launching on both platforms simultaneously and that is happening in the vast majority of cases. Android, on occasion, is actually getting feature enhancements ahead of iOS (for example, 1080p Netflix).

Both ecosystems are driving the industry, they are complementary now.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

hooah posted:

This is my exact situation and I bought a little bluetooth receiver to plug into my aux jack and it works just like you want it to. I have a Nexus 4, however, so it might depend on whatever bluetooth stack your phone is using.

Cheers. Glad to hear it works for others. I've got a nexus5 so it can't be too different.
Where did you get your receiver from?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Spekkio posted:

Cheers. Glad to hear it works for others. I've got a nexus5 so it can't be too different.
Where did you get your receiver from?

Amazon. I got an EDup, and it's worked OK, but it has a pretty short battery life, and I get some ground noise when I leave it plugged in, but it was fairly cheap. I really looking forward to upgrading the bluetooth module in my car sometime so I don't need an extra doohickey.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

There's also Ingress, though that's probably disqualified since it's a Google product.

I don't know what you think Ingress is, but it's definitely not something that a big group of people care about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't know what you think Ingress is, but it's definitely not something that a big group of people care about.

Eh, apparently around a million or so people have checked it out. That's not too shabby for being in closed beta until recently.

Haven't really played around with it myself, but it's something I hear mentioned from time to time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Eh, apparently around a million or so people have checked it out. That's not too shabby for being in closed beta until recently.

It was barely a closed beta, it was pretty drat easy to get an invite.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I think that until you see this change, you're not going to see major primary development on Android. It's just not worth it to try and break out your app there. Unless Android just starts totally destroying Apple in user numbers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlouis/2013/08/10/how-much-do-average-apps-make/

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When I'm using YouTube how do I get rid of the chromecast logo what I'm not near a wifi network?
http://imgur.com/pYHblJ1

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

pistolshit posted:

I think that until you see this change, you're not going to see major primary development on Android. It's just not worth it to try and break out your app there. Unless Android just starts totally destroying Apple in user numbers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlouis/2013/08/10/how-much-do-average-apps-make/

He doesn't seem to be accounting for the split between free and paid apps there though? He's just taking Google's 'we've reached this many apps on the Play store!' spiel from an I/O presentation, which is going to include every free shitware app anyone's ever put out. You really need to use paid app data to make any meaningful comparisons

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Yeah that math is pretty sketchy, and I'd be embarrassed as Forbes to publish it. It's facile and inaccurate, even if the underlying principle is true - this doesn't do any favours to proving it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's like saying "there is more free software than there are free cars, so average price per car is higher than average price per piece of software, so you'll make more money if you sell cars than if you sell software."

It might be true, but it doesn't actually follow from the data.

Edit: :iiaca:

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 19, 2013

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

That's a good point. Does anyone have numbers for that? All, I've ever seen are totals like this.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

baka kaba posted:

He doesn't seem to be accounting for the split between free and paid apps there though? He's just taking Google's 'we've reached this many apps on the Play store!' spiel from an I/O presentation, which is going to include every free shitware app anyone's ever put out. You really need to use paid app data to make any meaningful comparisons

It's incredibly disingenuous, but it is still likely that an average developer of paid Android apps is going to make less. The main problem being competition and the number of developers willing to release their apps for free or undercutting apps that might have otherwise cost more.

The barrier to entry on iOS is larger than it is on Android. This means that more often than not you're going to have developers that expect to recoup their costs. It makes developers far less likely to release applications for free. Apple's $99/year is high. High enough that a hobby developer is less likely to participate, which also brings the number of free and open source applications down. Meanwhile Google only costs $25 as a one time entry fee. This means that even a high school kid with a lovely part time job can afford to get into app development. This also means open source developers and hobbyists are more likely to participate because $25 isn't a cost you feel you have to recoup, and if you do it's easy to obtain so the risk is low. Google's method creates a play store community that is going to have far more competition, and therefore it's also going to have far more developers that are willing to release free software or release software at a cost that undercuts other products.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 19, 2013

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

lags posted:

Yeah that math is pretty sketchy, and I'd be embarrassed as Forbes to publish it.

Forbes don't give a poo poo, it's their 'contributor' program which is barely a step above CNN's iReport.

They're a plague on the internet now because all over the place you see people saying 'but Forbes say...' and it's some moron in the contributor section.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Frozen-Solid posted:

It's incredibly disingenuous, but it is still likely that an average developer of paid Android apps is going to make less. The main problem being competition and the number of developers willing to release their apps for free or undercutting apps that might have otherwise cost more.

The barrier to entry on iOS is larger than it is on Android. This means that more often than not you're going to have developers that expect to recoup their costs. It makes developers far less likely to release applications for free. Apple's $99/year is high. High enough that a hobby developer is less likely to participate, which also brings the number of free and open source applications down. Meanwhile Google only costs $25 as a one time entry fee. This means that even a high school kid with a lovely part time job can afford to get into app development. This also means open source developers and hobbyists are more likely to participate because $25 isn't a cost you feel you have to recoup, and if you do it's easy to obtain so the risk is low. Google's method creates a play store community that is going to have far more competition, and therefore it's also going to have far more developers that are willing to release free software or release software at a cost that undercuts other products.

Yeah I don't really doubt that, and anecdotally the App Store just seems to be made up of paid content to a greater degree than the Play Store, so to me it just feels more like there's an expectation that stuff is usually paid for, and for more moneys. But that's a gut feeling, and it would be nice to actually see that backed up by some data. There is a pretty big userbase disparity, which offsets the cheapness factor, and those cultural trends don't necessarily stay static.

The question really is if an Android developer with a good app is able to pitch it at some price that gives them enough purchases to make it competitive with iOS. A lot of that depends on the type and quality of the app itself, and their ability to get enough exposure in the ocean of apps sloshing around out there. There's a hell of a lot of factors at play, and that's not even getting into other monetisation routes. There's a need for some real info here, otherwise we're just speculating

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So speaking of the Google Survey app, I just had a new survey pop up. Asked me one question (I use my phone to compare prices in stores - answer 1-5 - 5 strongly agree) and I got a $1 store credit.

Sweet

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

So speaking of the Google Survey app, I just had a new survey pop up. Asked me one question (I use my phone to compare prices in stores - answer 1-5 - 5 strongly agree) and I got a $1 store credit.

Sweet
Shouldn't Google already know the answer to this question?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're testing your honesty.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

b0nes posted:

When I'm using YouTube how do I get rid of the chromecast logo what I'm not near a wifi network?
http://imgur.com/pYHblJ1
For now, turn off bluetooth.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Sweet

I only got $0.25, what the hell.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

standardtoaster posted:

I only got $0.25, what the hell.

Same, for answering that I find web purchasing annoying on my phone because web forms aren't formatted for poo poo. Where was the "Because I have a tablet" option? :v:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, all I got was a "there was an error submitting your answers, we'll try again later" message and then nothing. I think I'm going to just uninstall the app at this point

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is it possible that the "we couldn't record your answers but will try again later" thing is related to being rooted? I can't even sign up for the service without it failing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Is it possible that the "we couldn't record your answers but will try again later" thing is related to being rooted? I can't even sign up for the service without it failing.

Nope. I'm rooted.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've only received one survey so far (forget what it was about) and I got a dollar for it. I bought a song from Play. It was cool.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Velis autobrightness or Lux (or others)?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Lux.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I use Lux on my Nexus 7 and love it. The night mode it borrows from the PC f.lux is especially cool.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Two quick questions...

1) Can I send a link (or text/whatever) to my Nexus 5 from my PC and have it appear as a notification? Preferrably I'd just like to use the PC and paste the URL in a form and have it sent to my phone.

2) What's the best navbar replacement for the Nexus 5? I hate the soft buttons taking up so much space...

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Vinlaen posted:

1) Can I send a link (or text/whatever) to my Nexus 5 from my PC and have it appear as a notification? Preferrably I'd just like to use the PC and paste the URL in a form and have it sent to my phone.

Is Chrome to Phone still a thing? I used that or the Pocket add on for Chrome to pull up links on my phone but haven't used them in a while. Now I just email links to myself.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vinlaen posted:

Two quick questions...

Open the link in Chrome on your desktop. Open a new tab in Chrome on your phone and hit the button on the bottom right.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Open the link in Chrome on your desktop. Open a new tab in Chrome on your phone and hit the button on the bottom right.

You just blew my mind

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Vinlaen posted:

Two quick questions...

2) What's the best navbar replacement for the Nexus 5? I hate the soft buttons taking up so much space...

You can use Pushbullet. It works really well and will push things back to chrome as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lags
Jan 3, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You just blew my mind

Holy poo poo me too - I guess reading those feature notifications come in handy after all!

• Locked thread