Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Haven't seen any of these posted in the thread, so I thought I'd share.

Newfoundland coins, pre-Confederation:

5 cents, 1940 & 1945; 10 cents, 1938; 20 cents, 1912; 50 cents, 1911 & 1918

This is the only one that's likely to have any value:

Newfoundland 2 dollar gold piece, 1882

Some kind of neat older Canadian dollars:

1970 Manitoba centennial; 1939 silver(?) dollar (this one is quite heavy, thicker than a normal coin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ron Don Volante posted:

codyclarke, here's the rest of your appraisal.

Thanks for your assessment on everything! I will take a look and see what the Mercury Dime mint marks are if any, I guess I didn't know where to look.

Would it best to hold onto to the coins that contain silver, and sell the others? Do the others fluctuate greatly at all? I know prices are probably down all around because of the recession.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

codyclarke posted:

Thanks for your assessment on everything! I will take a look and see what the Mercury Dime mint marks are if any, I guess I didn't know where to look.

Would it best to hold onto to the coins that contain silver, and sell the others? Do the others fluctuate greatly at all? I know prices are probably down all around because of the recession.

Silver spiked big time and peaked in 2011. Gold and silver prices went straight up after the recession. Prices have been going down for the past two years. People have different theories about what's going to happen week to week or month to month but the bulk trend over the next few years will be downward if historical spikes are any indication. My personal recommendation is to get while the getting is good.

For most of the coins you have, the prices are pretty stable. The coins where the bulk of their value is in silver are worth more now than they were in 2008. Other coins, where most of their value was collectible/numismatic, took a hit during the recession but have recovered for the most part (these coins are in the $50 and above price range). It's harder to say how these will perform over the next 5 years. If you look back 30-40 years and compare coin prices of common coins from the 70-80s and adjust them for inflation, almost none of them would have outperformed the stock market. Even the relatively bullish Carson City Morgan Dollars would have appreciated ~50% in that time frame. That's not very much given how much time they've had to gain value. Only rarities, niche coins, and high end stuff will have that kind of performance. Most of the stuff you have now won't appreciate in value at any rate comparable to many other investment options. HOWEVER, if you are going to just take the money and spend it on crack cocaine, then the coins are a better investment.

With that being said, I'm just a guy posting on the internet. History will prove me right or wrong. Probably the best reason to keep your coins is if you think they are cool.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Jimmy James posted:

HOWEVER, if you are going to just take the money and spend it on crack cocaine, then the coins are a better investment.

HOW DID YOU KNOW

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the help!

Update: Now knowing about the mint marks on the Mercury Dimes, here's the S and D ones I have:

1927-S
1936-D
1940-D
1940-S x2
1941-D x2
1941-S
1942-S
1943-D x2
1943-S x2
1944-D x4
1944-S
1945-S x4

Any of these worth more?

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 7, 2013

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

codyclarke posted:

Update: Now knowing about the mint marks on the Mercury Dimes, here's the S and D ones I have:

1927-S
1936-D
1940-D
1940-S x2
1941-D x2
1941-S
1942-S
1943-D x2
1943-S x2
1944-D x4
1944-S
1945-S x4

Any of these worth more?

Bumping this because I guess nobody saw it. Would love to find out how much more these specific ones are worth.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Bumping this because I guess nobody saw it. Would love to find out how much more these specific ones are worth.

None of those dates are particularly rare in circulated condition. If any of them are uncirculated or close to uncirculated, there can be some large differences in value. Roughly speaking, 1940+ is 2-3 dollars and <1940 is 3-4 dollars when heavily circulated.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am starting to get into precious metal collecting and obviously turned to coins first. A few years ago my grandma gave me a 1921 Morgan Dollar and last week my mom gave me two pre-1965 Quarters and a pre-1965 Dime. I also have a good 50+ pre-1982 copper Pennies.

None of the silver coins are rare, so they are just worth their silver value. My question is if coin roll hunting is as lucrative as YouTube videos make it seem. I see videos of guys finding a few silver Half Dollars per $500 but is that rare? Or does it matter greatly if there are already people at your bank hunting?

EDIT: I just looked closer at the Morgan and its a 1921-D. :D

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 21, 2013

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Just wanted to thank this thread for its excellent recommendations. I wound up getting my dad a late 30s walking liberty half-dollar. The condition isn't mint, but there's a patina to it that makes it extra striking.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am starting to get into precious metal collecting and obviously turned to coins first. A few years ago my grandma gave me a 1921 Morgan Dollar and last week my mom gave me two pre-1965 Quarters and a pre-1965 Dime. I also have a good 50+ pre-1982 copper Pennies.

None of the silver coins are rare, so they are just worth their silver value. My question is if coin roll hunting is as lucrative as YouTube videos make it seem. I see videos of guys finding a few silver Half Dollars per $500 but is that rare? Or does it matter greatly if there are already people at your bank hunting?

EDIT: I just looked closer at the Morgan and its a 1921-D. :D

Coin Roll Hunting is lucrative in the sense that you can find silver by just searching through coins that you get for face value. But finding silver is pretty rare and it probably does depend on your bank/area. Different banks will get you rolls from different sources. Some may just give you a box of all 2012 half dollars/quarters/whatever, while others might give mixed circulated. I tried doing it a little bit, but stopped almost immediately. It's a lot of work/time/driving for very little money. You have to drive to the bank, get the coins, spend the time going through them, and take the box back to another bank or get rid of them somehow. If you factor in all of the non-monetary costs, it's not even remotely close to being lucrative. For some people it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it worth it. But, hey, if that's what you like then more power to you.

I obviously have made my own opinion, but I'd be curious if there are others that have more favorable opinions of coin roll hunting for silver.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

My dad's got a coin that looks like that. It's a "US SILVER EAGLE" (actually a dollar coin from 1989) in plastic, uncirculated. He's also got an Eisenhower, 1971, what I guess you call a mint proof. Then a few Kennedys, circulated. The Kennedy from 1969 and the Eagle dollar both look like lovely old silver. The Eisenhower is labeled silver but looks like the color of a regular modern quarter. Are any of these worth much more than their metal value, and what would the metal value be?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Mescal posted:

My dad's got a coin that looks like that. It's a "US SILVER EAGLE" (actually a dollar coin from 1989) in plastic, uncirculated. He's also got an Eisenhower, 1971, what I guess you call a mint proof. Then a few Kennedys, circulated. The Kennedy from 1969 and the Eagle dollar both look like lovely old silver. The Eisenhower is labeled silver but looks like the color of a regular modern quarter. Are any of these worth much more than their metal value, and what would the metal value be?

One of these? http://silvereagleguide.com/images/1989-Silver-Eagle.jpg

It's a 1 oz. silver bullion coin struck by the U.S. mint. Silver's currently around $20/oz, and American Eagles sell for a few dollars above that.

The 1969 Kennedy is 40% silver (as are all Kennedy halfs from 1965-1970, pre-1965 90% silver). It's worth little more than melt, about $3. The Eisenhower dollar is a special 40% silver proof issue and is worth around $10.

As for the coin roll hunting discussion, I would agree that it's not worth it. You're going to spend more money on gas than you'll likely find in silver, and you're going to piss off the bank tellers. If you do do it, half dollars are generally the best bet, followed by dimes and nickels. I've heard that the usual rate for half dollars is about 1 40% half per every box of half dollar rolls (500 coins).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

One of these? http://silvereagleguide.com/images/1989-Silver-Eagle.jpg

It's a 1 oz. silver bullion coin struck by the U.S. mint. Silver's currently around $20/oz, and American Eagles sell for a few dollars above that.

The 1969 Kennedy is 40% silver (as are all Kennedy halfs from 1965-1970, pre-1965 90% silver). It's worth little more than melt, about $3. The Eisenhower dollar is a special 40% silver proof issue and is worth around $10.

As for the coin roll hunting discussion, I would agree that it's not worth it. You're going to spend more money on gas than you'll likely find in silver, and you're going to piss off the bank tellers. If you do do it, half dollars are generally the best bet, followed by dimes and nickels. I've heard that the usual rate for half dollars is about 1 40% half per every box of half dollar rolls (500 coins).

Huh. Thanks for the info. How come the Eisenhower looks boring and the other silvers look beautiful vintage? Just the unpredictable effects of... oxidation or something?

On this other topic: if you're a coin freak, don't just walk into a bank and ask what they have if you want to leave with something good. (Especially if you don't have an account there.) Call them during nonpeak hours and ask for the vault teller. Ask them if their rolls are mostly mixed, and so on. They'll happily tell you how many dollar rolls are in the vault, even if they wouldn't tell you how many hundreds are there.

Or if you don't want to make conversation, just tell whoever answers "I want to make a change order; I'll be there in a half hour" and if it's too fancy for them they'll decline it.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
with silver reaching $50 in the not so distant past which hadn't happened since the hunt brothers tried to corner the market in the 1980s it has everyone with an eye on silver

I used to go through $500 boxes of halves and pull out several 40% silvers and many 90%s as well, I found not only JFK silver, but some franklins, a few walking libertys and even one barber half that was cut in half flipped around and welded together, as well as an error or two, but this was in the early 2000s when silver was perhaps $6/oz, and at that time I made hundreds and hundreds of dollars doing it, these were coming directly from the minneapolis federal reserve through this one bank but they stopped doing it eventually, nowadays silver is still what $20 something? an oz, I just don't see it being worth it as I'm sure everyone has done it already

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I just inherited a bunch of old coins, and I'm trying to sort through and see what's worth anything. I'll start out with one that I found interesting.

Obviously not the best condition, but a neat coin, I think. I got a bunch more, most not as old but still kind of cool. I'll post more when pictures load.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Holy poo poo websites like APMEX and eBay are virtually useless when trying to buy silver. By them time you buy a 1oz American Silver Eagle or a Morgan/Peace Dollar you are spending an extra $10 in profit for the company and shipping. Guess I'll only be coin roll hunting and hitting up tag sales.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

You should be able to find plenty of ASE's and Morgans on eBay for around $2 shipping. You can even filter your search by shipping cost. APMEX on the other hand is pretty drat expensive unless you're buying in bulk.

Yay Pudding That's a nice French 10 centimes coin. The French have had some really beautiful coin designs over the years.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

There's a coin store near my house I should check out. There won't be 20 people trying to outbid me and maybe I can haggle them down a little. I know coins have collector value but I just want to start a silver and gold collection and US Mint coins seem more legit than bars minted by private companies.

Also -- Has anyone seen the copper and silver Zombucks? They are neat.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How hard is it to make your own coins? I'm curious because there was a story recently about "Satanic" coins being found in various churches and museums here in Denmark.

First one is a copper coin and was uncovered I think in the mid-80s. Second one is silverplated and was first spotted in 1991. There are some other variations (different backs and such) found in the late 90s as well.

It seems like it would be a lot of work to actually make your own coins just to pull off a prank. Then again, someone actually decided to make a documentary about the whole thing, so I guess they were successful.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MrBling posted:

How hard is it to make your own coins? I'm curious because there was a story recently about "Satanic" coins being found in various churches and museums here in Denmark.

Well, people have been making coins for thousands of years. And in my experience, the type of people who would think "heh I'm gonna hide devil coins in some churches :smug:" are often the same ones who take an entire month off each year to go sell or show off their hand-crafted wares at the Renaissance festival...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys collect silver coins for their numismatic value or for the silver content? I'm trying to decide if it'd be better off long term too have a stack of .999 1oz American Silver Eagles or a stack of 90% Morgan/Peace Dollars and/or Barber/Walking Liberty/Franklin Half Dollars.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Well, I'd say Morgans are the most collected silver coin, really can't go wrong with those

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

True that. I just won a bid last night on a 1922 Peace Dollar for $24.50 shipped. Its a little dinged up but I care about the silver value the most even though the numismatic value is a nice addition. Placed low-ball bids on a roll of Franklin Half Dollars and a lot of 5 Franklins.

I don't really want to collect anything lower than silver quarters so I put my 1951 Roosevelt Dime on eBay for $1.50 shipped.

Here are some cellphone shots of my Morgan Dollar and two Quarters:

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 25, 2013

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a consensus in the coin community on whether proof sets from, say, the 1980s will be worth anything? I used to get these as gifts when I was a kid. I've always figured, since so many thousands (millions?) of them were sold each year, that it will be a really long time before my stack of coins encased in cheap plastic rectangles are worth anything over face value.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is there a consensus in the coin community on whether proof sets from, say, the 1980s will be worth anything? I used to get these as gifts when I was a kid. I've always figured, since so many thousands (millions?) of them were sold each year, that it will be a really long time before my stack of coins encased in cheap plastic rectangles are worth anything over face value.

The consensus is that it will be a very long time before they appreciate much, if at all. The population would have to grow pretty dramatically or the coin collecting community would have to grow dramatically before it drove prices up. Or there would have to be a mechanism for lots of the proof sets to come off of the market. In pre-1970 proof sets, a lot were broken up for the silver content which helped created scarcity. Since there was no silver in the 80s, I think those proof sets are going to just sit at low prices for a very very long time. I see them for sale fairly regularly for 4-5 dollars each (and still not necessarily sell).

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really need to go through my grandfather's coin collection again, there was a bunch of stuff I wasn't really able to identify, including at least one from the 1700s, but this was the one I had set aside when I originally went through everything. I apologize for the picture, but any idea what this one might be worth (I don't think too much, but this thread has me excited to pull all those coins out again!)?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

The 1872 is one of the scarcer Indian Head cents. Yours is worth $50-60.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got both of these for $25 each shipped to my door via eBay, but of course I have to pay PayPal fees.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
In my family's heirloom chest I found an 1800's 5 dollar gold coin (I don't know the year). Unfortunately, one of my ancestors punched a hole through it to make a necklace out of it. What would that kind of damage do to its value?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A 5 dollar Liberty Half Eagle from the 1800's is worth about 300 dollars just for it's physical gold melt value. I have no idea if it would have any numismatic value above the appx .24 oz of physical gold used to make the coin.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I went to the local coin shop today for the first time. American Silver Eagles were selling for $25. That's pretty much what you can get for one shipped on eBay. Silver is $20/oz this minute. Is $5 too high of a markup for a brick & mortar store?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I went to the local coin shop today for the first time. American Silver Eagles were selling for $25. That's pretty much what you can get for one shipped on eBay. Silver is $20/oz this minute. Is $5 too high of a markup for a brick & mortar store?

That's a pretty good price. About 3 weeks ago they were going for 28 if they were nice, not new dates, and 25 if they were 2012/13 or had weak eye appeal at a local coin auction. I wouldn't expect any better from a dealer. Best case scenario right now would be to get them for like 23 bucks each from another collector.

The American Silver Eagle market is relatively good right now considering Eagles were going for 40-50 bucks only a year ago when silver was 29 bucks an ounce.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It's a better deal than going into Best Buy and seeing a $2 USB car charger for $35...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hmm that's good to know then. They had ungraded American Silver Eagles of various years for $25 each. I'm trying to decide of I want to collect every year or just buy the newest and shiniest. I know the 2014s come out in January. I think I might try and sell my two silver Quarters and silver Peace Dollar on eBay and use that money to invest in another Silver Eagle or two. My grandma gave me her Morgan Dollar so I wouldn't sell it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's a better deal than going into Best Buy and seeing a $2 USB car charger for $35...

Amazon supremacy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Went back to the coin store today and I traded my banged up silver Peace Dollar and two silver Washington Quarters for a 2012 American Silver Eagle. Told them about the Zombucks silver and copper rounds since they had never heard of them. They also said they would buy my old broken 14K gold necklace, which I'll probably just trade for as many American Silver Eagles as I can.

Heads:

Tails:

My Collection:

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I've got some old SOuth Carolina Confederate bills somewhere in my house.

Imagine they're worth a bit...

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I've got some old SOuth Carolina Confederate bills somewhere in my house.

Imagine they're worth a bit...

they can be, when you find them post pics and I'll tell you what's what

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
My grandfather passed away recently and before he died, he handed off his collection of coins and paper money to me. I gave it to my dad because that was his wish, but I don't think he thinks it's worth figuring if there's anything valuable there. Not that we want to sell it, but I'm curious.

It's a big collection and I have no idea where to start. There's paper money circa the revolutionary war, maybe some from the confederacy too. Is there a site that lists reputable dealers that would be open to trying to evaluate/assess the collection? I was going to try it myself but it's just too much for me to take on right now with work and the holidays.

There are a few coins that he gave me separately from the rest of the collection and I may post pictures of those here at some point too, they're old gold coins, but that's a different matter form the bulk of the collection.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Ev posted:

My grandfather passed away recently and before he died, he handed off his collection of coins and paper money to me. I gave it to my dad because that was his wish, but I don't think he thinks it's worth figuring if there's anything valuable there. Not that we want to sell it, but I'm curious.

It's a big collection and I have no idea where to start. There's paper money circa the revolutionary war, maybe some from the confederacy too. Is there a site that lists reputable dealers that would be open to trying to evaluate/assess the collection? I was going to try it myself but it's just too much for me to take on right now with work and the holidays.

There are a few coins that he gave me separately from the rest of the collection and I may post pictures of those here at some point too, they're old gold coins, but that's a different matter form the bulk of the collection.

Well, as far as paper money goes get some pics up and I'd be more than happy to help.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ev posted:

Hey man, you can send them to me if it's too much of a bother :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Ev posted:

If you are looking at a high value collection that you may want to insure (probably tens of thousands of dollars), then you'd want to get it formally appraised. It's usually not worth it unless you have a large collection because appraisals will always set you back at least a few hundred dollars.

A lot of dealers are helpful enough where they will appraise something for free, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to appraise a collection that's not for sale. It can take a lot of time, especially if it's currently not organized or catalogued.

If you post pictures here, we can give you a little bit of a reality check. But without knowing more about the collection, it's hard to give any practical advice. The value of a collection of coins, depending on dates, conditions, and varieties can vary be several orders of magnitude (it could be 100 bucks or 100,000 bucks).

If you don't want to sell the coins, then don't worry about appraising them instantly. Take your time, wait until after the holidays. Break the collection into bits and just work through it. And until you know what you guys have, assume it's fairly valuable. Keep it stored indoors and in a safe place. Even if learning about coins and currency isn't really your bag, it's still worth doing at least some preliminary work to understand what you guys have.

• Locked thread