Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Kuhmondo posted:

Can we still put a fainted synchronizer in first slot and have something with illuminate in the second slot when hunting for shinies? Trying to get a Charmeleon.

Nope, you can only have one effect work at a time. You don't need Illuminate anyways, just level up your Encounter O-power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

When breeding with two pokemon of the same species does the males ability/hidden ability matter at all?

I think having two same species pokemon with hidden abilities breeding does increase the chance of passing the hidden ability down to offspring then just the female having it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have 96 medals now. What's the number you have to get to before you can start buying master balls through the Global Link? I'm hoping it's 100 but I expect they set it higher. Are there still medals for monotyping the elite 4?

MrFlibble, if you're still reading the thread I would still like a Leichi Berry... but I don't know your in-game name or when you play. My in game name is Hammerite.

Edit: I mean Lansat berry. I always get those mixed up for some reason.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I finally got a 5 IV Phantump!

...but, it has Natural Cure and not Harvest, and it's female :negative: Does the egg resetting thing/"time travel breeding" work to keep the same stats but roll for different genders/abilities? And can a male of the same species pass down a Hidden Ability while breeding with a female without a Hidden Ability?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

nerdbot posted:

...but, it has Natural Cure and not Harvest, and it's female :negative: Does the egg resetting thing/"time travel breeding" work to keep the same stats but roll for different genders/abilities? And can a male of the same species pass down a Hidden Ability while breeding with a female without a Hidden Ability?

I think it just keeps the same passed IVs and from the same parents, but the personality value is not kept the same, so gender and ability should have a chance at being different, and shininess for that matter. Don't know about Dream World status.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Nice Touch of the Day: When you feed Banette a puff in Amie, she unzips her mouth for each bite and then zips it back up again.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Hammerite posted:

I have 96 medals now. What's the number you have to get to before you can start buying master balls through the Global Link? I'm hoping it's 100 but I expect they set it higher. Are there still medals for monotyping the elite 4?

I just got my 100th medal and still no difference in the Global Link shop.

Also, I did a solo run of the E4 with my Mawile and didn't get a single medal. Which is a shame, because the monotype medals were my favourites.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Chimeric posted:

Nice Touch of the Day: When you feed Banette a puff in Amie, she unzips her mouth for each bite and then zips it back up again.

quote:

A cursed energy permeated the stuffing of a discarded and forgotten plush doll, giving it new life as Banette. The Pokémon's energy would escape if it were to ever open its mouth.

:stonk:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Truly pokepuffs are worth dying for.

Who's the guy who let me borrow his Bisharp? Cause I'd be willing to return it. The OT says Punky, but I can't find anyone with that name in my friendlist...

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the risks involved in maxing out Banette's affection.:aaaaa:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Chimeric posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the risks involved in maxing out Banette's affection.:aaaaa:

You don't want to risk it feeling slighted, put it that way.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Chimeric posted:

Well, if it releases it's cursed energy, that energy has to go somewhere. More than likely into another Banette.

Considering the nerfs to Drizzle, is a Dragonite still viable to run on a Rain Team, or should I find something else for his spot?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dragonite's good on near any team.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dr Pepper posted:

Dragonite's good on near any team.

That's what I was thinking, but considering he won't have Rain Dance I feel like maybe a Goodra would be a better Dragon to throw on that team.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Unbound posted:

Well, if it releases it's cursed energy, that energy has to go somewhere. More than likely into another Banette.

The energy goes into the pokepuff, which it eats. The circle of pokepuffs.

E:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dragonite has a thousand and one ways of breaking everything ever with or without rain, Goodra is nowhere near as absurd and in fact cares about having rain a bit more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LAY-ZX posted:

Dragonite has a thousand and one ways of breaking everything ever with or without rain, Goodra is nowhere near as absurd and in fact cares about having rain a bit more.
If I could emptyquote this, I would. Dragonite does well in any weather. Goodra does, too, but Goodra would have been much more powerful in rain with G5 weather, like an even-more-powerful Vaporeon. The only thing that's even given Dragonite pause is the existence of Fairies, meaning it can't just mindlessly Outrage any more.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

LAY-ZX posted:

OK thanks.

I think I'm going to use to following set on him:

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Adamant 252atk/252spe/4hp
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch
Roost

I picked Dragon Claw over Outrage so that the opponent can't just swap to a Fairy type and cost me a turn. I also decided Roost so I can try to keep my Dragonite at full HP and let Weakness Policy do it job, but I might switch this for Earthquake.

VVV Oooh, I didn't even think of that. Should I swap that Roost for EQ then to help with Ice types?

Unbound fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 19, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you're using Dragonite in the Rain I'd switch Fire Punch with Waterfall.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Man, it sucks to have your team with RU-mon broken by a guy with cookie-cutter uber-mons who doesn't even think of switching.
That being said, it's good to kill Greninjas with my Ambipom :getin:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

People have been saying this for a long time now, but they need to bring back Gen 3 contests, maybe if they remake Ruby/Sapphire this generation :pray:

Seriously, can you imagine how much fun those would be online? Rather than deal with the bullshit the AI pulls, you can get mad at real people for stealing all of your appeal in a round or locking your move or something. Gen 3 contests were the best because they were actually pretty strategic and potentially competitive, but you didn't need to worry about breeding perfect numbers.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

horriblePencilist posted:

^^ Truly pokepuffs are worth dying for.

Who's the guy who let me borrow his Bisharp? Cause I'd be willing to return it. The OT says Punky, but I can't find anyone with that name in my friendlist...
That one's from an ingame trade, Jigglypuff for Bisharp :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unbound posted:

VVV Oooh, I didn't even think of that. Should I swap that Roost for EQ then to help with Ice types?

Yeah this is pretty much the problem, you have to give up something because Dragonite can't do everything at once.

A +3 Waterfall will hurt any fairy badly not named Azumarill, and Roost is really handy for Dragonite, but Ferothorn will just laugh at your attempts to do anything to him without Earthquake.

Basically decide if your team can handle that, or you want Dragonite to be able to handle that threat.

MysticalHaberdasher
Oct 27, 2006
I just caught a shiny Gabite. Hasty nature, which isn't ideal, but max attack and speed IVs. Does this sound like something I can get some use out of in online battles, or is the loss of defense going to be too big an issue?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
All Flying/Dragon types suck and die hardcore. Seriously. The biggest Ice Users Dragonite faces in his tier is loving Cloyster, who runs Icicle Spear so Multiscale means gently caress all. Dragon type is a bad type, be a real trainer and run Fairies.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

MysticalHaberdasher posted:

I just caught a shiny Gabite. Hasty nature, which isn't ideal, but max attack and speed IVs. Does this sound like something I can get some use out of in online battles, or is the loss of defense going to be too big an issue?

That defense is gonna hurt, but it's still totally usable.

On a sidenote; Bisharp is loving incredible in the current meta-game and has single-handedly won half of the battles that I put him in. A free swords dance from Sticky Web, immunity to King's Shield, and the steel nerf just makes him so god damned effective at taking every single thing out.

E:
VVVV I've been running Harvest/Lum/Rest and it absorbs statuses and sticks around like a mother fucker. Had a guy quit earlier because half of his rain team was completely unable to take it down. Trevanant with Rest is so much fun when it works.

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2013

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

nerdbot posted:

Mine rolls pretty well with Rest/Natural Cure, give it a try before you give up on it (or trade it to me for a 5IV Rotom)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
For some reason the 1 star resturant gave me option to give a 10,000 pokebuck tip, which is new. Anyone else see this before?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Ambipom is a loving beast. Smogon whines about how team preview completely ruins him, but he's amazing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

horriblePencilist posted:

Ambipom is a loving beast. Smogon whines about how team preview completely ruins him, but he's amazing.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but his Smogon page really only mentions it as a thing that hurts him (which is fair, since it does) and then went on to name a bunch of stuff he still does well. Are they saying he's worse on the forums or something?

e: also Holy Moly I know I mentioned it before, but the sheer number of people who leave after turn 1/2 on Showdown right now is absurd. I just watched someone leave when their opponent switched an Espeon in first turn against his Smeargle. Sheesh.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but his Smogon page really only mentions it as a thing that hurts him (which is fair, since it does) and then went on to name a bunch of stuff he still does well. Are they saying he's worse on the forums or something?

Ambipom is one of those pokemon that everybody complains gets used too much, like Donphan or Infernape in OU. Back in the Froslass days of UU it was pretty fantastic for single handedly dismantling most Hyper Offensive teams but when Froslass got banned and Hyper Offense became less common (and mostly based around manual rain when it was used) it wasn't really great anymore. It doesn't really help that most people used it wrong by basically copying the old Gen IV lead set instead of using it as a lure for Cofagrigus and general check to most things without Scarves.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How on earth do people decide what pokemon to put on their team? There are over 600 of them now, and I can never really figure out what makes one grass-type different from another grass-type. Bulbapedia isn't really very helpful when it comes to that... they list the moves each pokemon gets, but without knowing the moves intimately that doesn't really help me. Usually I go for dual-type pokemon, because that's an easy thing for me to understand.

I wish there was a website that only listed why any given pokemon was notable. I.e, "This is scrafty. He is one of only two fighting/dark pokemon available. The ability you want is shed skin."

Stuff like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ignite Memories posted:

How on earth do people decide what pokemon to put on their team? There are over 600 of them now, and I can never really figure out what makes one grass-type different from another grass-type. Bulbapedia isn't really very helpful when it comes to that... they list the moves each pokemon gets, but without knowing the moves intimately that doesn't really help me. Usually I go for dual-type pokemon, because that's an easy thing for me to understand.

I wish there was a website that only listed why any given pokemon was notable. I.e, "This is scrafty. He is one of only two fighting/dark pokemon available. The ability you want is shed skin."

Stuff like that.
Well here's how I figure out my Gen 5 team that was pretty successful.

I picked 3 pokemon I loved (Zoroark, Whimsicott, Minccino.) and then picked 3 pokes to work around them. I picked Cofagrigus because he's ghost, and thus immune to Zoroark and Minccino's weakness, and he can annoy and stall. Next I wanted a less gimmicky Physical Sweeper and another Special Sweeper to continue Zoroark's Ruse. For the special I picked Yanmega because he resisted Fighting type and was pretty fast and hit super hard with Tinted Lens. Finally I picked Electivire because he's got a lot of coverage I needed (Ice/Elec/Ground/Fighting) and his ability let me safely swap in on Yanmega's electric weakness and get a boost from it.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Ambipom is one of those pokemon that everybody complains gets used too much, like Donphan or Infernape in OU. Back in the Froslass days of UU it was pretty fantastic for single handedly dismantling most Hyper Offensive teams but when Froslass got banned and Hyper Offense became less common (and mostly based around manual rain when it was used) it wasn't really great anymore. It doesn't really help that most people used it wrong by basically copying the old Gen IV lead set instead of using it as a lure for Cofagrigus and general check to most things without Scarves.

Not really sure about most of the things you wrote. I just know whenever I saw that thing, it would life orb fake out my skarmory and inflict more damage to itself than anything else. Then it would lifeorb uturn out and be down 32% hp from lifeorb and stealth rock.

e: oh, I didn't catch that this was in UU

Mr. Whale fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Ignite Memories posted:

Stuff like that.

Smogon is the the place I go to for move sets and the like. As for what makes one Grass better than the other stat-wise, I use Bulbapedia and compare the stats of the two.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Ignite Memories posted:

How on earth do people decide what pokemon to put on their team?

Playing casually: Is it cute? If "yes", add to party.

Playing competitively: Is it cute? If "yes", add to party.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Gonna reset for Yveltal. What do you guys say is a good nature? Also how can I check it's IVs.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I have a dumb breeding question. I want to get a Tyrunt/Tyrantrum with Dragon Dance and the three elemental fangs. Arbok learns them as Move Tutor moves. The Axew line learns Dragon Dance early on. Egg moves can be passed on by both parents now, right? So I could breed up the Tyrunt with Arbok, get the fangs, and then breed those with Axew, get Dragon Dance, and...then breed for IVs? Am I doing this right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well here's how I figure out my Gen 5 team that was pretty successful.

I picked 3 pokemon I loved (Zoroark, Whimsicott, Minccino.) and then picked 3 pokes to work around them. I picked Cofagrigus because he's ghost, and thus immune to Zoroark and Minccino's weakness, and he can annoy and stall. Next I wanted a less gimmicky Physical Sweeper and another Special Sweeper to continue Zoroark's Ruse. For the special I picked Yanmega because he resisted Fighting type and was pretty fast and hit super hard with Tinted Lens. Finally I picked Electivire because he's got a lot of coverage I needed (Ice/Elec/Ground/Fighting) and his ability let me safely swap in on Yanmega's electric weakness and get a boost from it.

Yeah this is what I do too. I pick something a thing or two that I really like (either because it looks cool, has a neat cry, has a cool battle gimmick, whatever), and then I find something to shore up those things' weaknesses. For example, I really like Accelgor, so I'd probably want (a) something that I can switch to when my opponent puts out something that can one-shot it, and (b) something that he can switch in from pretty seamlessly. Maybe (a)'s could be Rotom-Wet (covers flying and fire weaknesses, has some good bulk, Volt Switch and Will o Wisp makes for good momentum) and (b)'s could be Clefable. These are just random examples, but hopefully this gives another idea for team building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I wonder what will happen to Roserade. It got a defensive buff, and since Hidden Power now does 60 damage, it's enough to get the technician boost.

• Locked thread