Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember getting into wrestling around early 2006 after I watched the episode of Smackdown after Angle vs Taker at NWO. Unfortunately it seemed like everyone around my age had grown out of wrestling, leaving me as at 13 with no one to talk to about. My first wrestling show was Armagedon 2007 where the Major Brothers became the Edgeheads, and CM Punk & Kane lost to Mark Henry & Big Daddy V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I got into wrestling in 1998 when I randomly watched an episode of Nitro, back then in the UK it would be on Fridays at 9 PM IIRC. I didn't watch RAW until 1999 when I got Sky Sports.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I really wish it wasn't true, but it seems to be. As a new wrestling fan, it sucks not knowing anyone that wants to chat about it, much less watch PPVs at a bar or something. I love my town but I can't believe we have like a dozen roller derby teams competing in Key Arena and the nearest halfway decent wrestling scene is in Oregon. Talk about hosed up violent sport priorities...

Check your PMs, bro.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tank44, Tharizdun and I are all going to Raw, and I'm pretty sure CapCityGoofball is too. There's a few of us here on SA.

I also hated Seattle as a wrestling town, but the last time Smackdown was at Key Arena, we did three awesome things:

1.)Gave a women's match on NXT a sarcastic This Is Awesome chant.

2.)Five fans made signs at the center house before the show that became YesScrollingForever.gif. They were also super nice people.

3.)We cheered the gently caress out of Daniel Bryan when the cameras were off and during commercials, then booed the poo poo out of him when they were on to keep him over as a heel. The Yes chants really began at Wrestlemania weekend, but you can bet your rear end most of the arena was doing it here long before.

So now I'm not so sure we suck.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I remember watching the Raw Austin got crucified by the Undertaker and my dad thought it was the most ridiculous thing he'd ever saw. He was half sleeping and just laughing his rear end off.

Ever since then when he sees I have Wrestling on: "Still watching that ridiculous bullshit...*mumble* *mumble*"

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
My grandparents got Sky TV and we went so grandad could show off about it. I cant remember the exact match/show but I loved wrestling straight away. He then used to record me hours of it. Survivor Series 1990 was my favourite tape and I watched it all the time.
I didnt get WCW in the very early 90's but used to see pictures Vader on the wrestling magazines and think he was cool. Fast forward to 1996 after not watching for most of 1995 and he was on the cover of WWF magazine so I watched again. Rented the PPV tapes to catch up and havent stopped watching at all since.
EDIT; doesn't everyone have someone who slags off wrestling yet hangs about whilst it's on?

MisterGBH fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

3.)We cheered the gently caress out of Daniel Bryan when the cameras were off and during commercials, then booed the poo poo out of him when they were on to keep him over as a heel. The Yes chants really began at Wrestlemania weekend, but you can bet your rear end most of the arena was doing it here long before.

That's awesome. :allears:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

Took a bad chant and made it worse. Impressive.

The other stuff is cool but this is really lame.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Check your PMs, bro.

Done and done, thanks.

LividLiquid posted:

Tank44, Tharizdun and I are all going to Raw, and I'm pretty sure CapCityGoofball is too. There's a few of us here on SA.

Me too, wouldn't miss a chance to see a live show within a half hour of my house.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Halloween Jack posted:

Your dad must have some pretty amusing stories.

Nothing too crazy. He programmed a custom workout plan + nutritional intake for Lex based on what his personal trainer advised, so he'd only go to Stamford once maybe twice a week (just a contract job). Surprisingly no mention of roids! He got to go to Mr. Universe in 92 though and Vince and Lex were cool to him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BillyMays posted:

Nothing too crazy. He programmed a custom workout plan + nutritional intake for Lex based on what his personal trainer advised, so he'd only go to Stamford once maybe twice a week (just a contract job). Surprisingly no mention of roids! He got to go to Mr. Universe in 92 though and Vince and Lex were cool to him.

Tell us of Lex. Tell us any Lex stories he may have, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

Tell us of Lex. Tell us any Lex stories he may have, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Not empty quoting. :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sportsgenius86 posted:

My whole life was baseball when I was a kid. Playing it, watching it, sifting through piles of baseball cards. Well, I turned to TBS one night in 1994 looking for a Braves game and found the Ric Flair-Sting Clash Unification Match and from that point on I was hooked.
That's basically my story. Looking for baseball on TBS I stumbled onto WCW Saturday Night, decided to stick with it, and something caught my attention. I believe it was the Arn Anderson vs Ric Flair in '95 that ultimately reformed the Four Horsemen with Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit. I had always ignored wrestling and the cartoony WWF stuff but Arn Anderson and the Four Horsemen were just cool.

Looking back its a perfect introduction to the stuff I love about wrestling and great talents. I'm even pretty sure the first the angle/promo I watched and really remember enjoying was Ric Flair trying to convince Sting to team with him only to turn on Sting. It was a crash course on wrestling right there. Even Benoit was a nice eventual lesson to why its bad to like wrestling.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I also hated Seattle as a wrestling town, but the last time Smackdown was at Key Arena, we did three awesome things:

So now I'm not so sure we suck.

1. THAT WAS YOU?! I should have known.

3. I keep telling that to everyone. Good ol' Seattle.

We should plan a meetup before the show, I work pretty close to the Key Arena

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got into wrestling in 1993 after seeing Yokozuna banzai drop Jim Duggan.

Bought WWF magazine and the Apter mags religiously after that. First live show was the week before Survivor Series 93 where I saw Bret vs. Shawn in a cage match. It was the only match where I could actually see what was going on since we were on the floor and I was 3 feet tall. I remember everyone around me thinking Shawn was losing teeth left and right (he used to spit whenever he took a punch to add effect).

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

MassRafTer posted:

Can't think of any off hand. I'll ask when he's back home tonight.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

RBX posted:

Ever since then when he sees I have Wrestling on: "Still watching that ridiculous bullshit...*mumble* *mumble*"

I think we might have the same dad. Mine loved tormenting me about watching "that fake bullshit".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've talked a little about this before but the PS2-era Smackdown games were my gateway drug. Wrestling was considered too gravely stupid to watch in my childhood household so I really got almost no exposure until 2003. . . Right when most fans agree it all went to hell. I enjoyed Chris Benoit's title run in 2004 and hated Triple H along with the rest of humanity.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I got into wrestling as a little kid in the late 1980s, and was a ridiculous mark for Bam Bam Bigelow because he was an angry fat man who could do cartwheels. I also loved Terry Funk because he was crazy. I've been watching it pretty steadily since then, and my tendency to like angry fat wrestlers and/or crazy brawlers hasn't changed much. As you might imagine, I LOVED the original ECW.

My first live event was a WCW house show in Winston Salem, NC at the LJVM Coliseum - the highlight was seeing Ric Flair in the main event against some nWo scrubs (probably Scott Norton and Vincent/Virgil), because he could still go and a couple of women in the crowd flashed him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Little Thresher had good taste, because Bam Bam and Terry Funk own.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

achillesforever6 posted:

My first wrestling show was Armagedon 2007 where the Major Brothers became the Edgeheads, and CM Punk & Kane lost to Mark Henry & Big Daddy V

This was my first live PPV, and I had just recently got back into wrestling that year. Getting to see Taker was awesome. Edgeheads were confusing live. JBL left the announce table to screw Jericho in his like his 3rd match back. And apparently, we collectively sucked as a Pittsburgh crowd.

I hope the Rumble crowd is more fun to be apart of this year. Does the Rumble bring in a more smarky crowd, like Mania-lite?

Gar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 20, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gar posted:

This was my first live PPV, and I had just recently got back into wrestling that year. Getting to see Taker was awesome. Edgeheads were confusing live. JBL left the announce table to screw Jericho in his like his 3rd match back. And apparently, we collectively sucked as a Pittsburgh crowd.

I hope the Rumble crowd is more fun to be apart of this year. Does the Rumble bring in a more smarky crowd, like Mania-lite?
I would believe so, though all I remember from that Armageddon show was "We want Angle" and "Here We Go Steelers" chants, so you we've sucked since probably the end of the Attitude Era. I hate how insular our crowds can get. :negative:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first wrestling stuff I remember is when the nWo first started in 1996. The first time WCW disappointed me was that WCW vs the world game I got for my birthday :v:. Then Starrcade happened but I still held true that WCW was the bestest ever. I was WCW all day until 1998 when Austin took over literally overnight. I don't even remember how it happened, it just happened and suddenly we were all mimicking him and D-X and the Rock in 3rd class everyday. I was like the last person to stop watching WCW until 2000. The best memories were changing the channel every 5 minutes between Nitro and Raw. I was thankful for the nights when they'd have all the good poo poo in the first hour.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I got into wrestling in 2004 and Triple H and Flair were my favorites. I'm a monster.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Little Thresher had good taste, because Bam Bam and Terry Funk own.

Thanks! Oddly enough, I never was much of a Hulkamaniac as a kid, and even now my favorite guys are usually on the undercard.

SaberToothedPie posted:

I got into wrestling in 2004 and Triple H and Flair were my favorites. I'm a monster.

Hey now, Flair was still awesome in 2004.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I think 2004 was the year Triple H was at his worse for being bloated.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I think that the first match that I watched was some Tatanka squash on whatever was the WWF jobber show in the early 90's, but I can't remember it at all. The first match that I actually remember was the Survivor Series match where Undertaker was a patriot for some reason. I stopped watching regularly in 1999 or so but still followed some angles, and started watching again in 2005.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ColeM posted:

I think 2004 was the year Triple H was at his worse for being bloated.

I remember getting back into wrestling just around the time of the first quad tear, and then seeing him come back just ENORMOUS. Like, scary big.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I used to be a massive Papa Shango mark as a kid. I'm not sure what that says about me but there ya go.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RBX posted:

1998 when Austin took over literally overnight. I don't even remember how it happened, it just happened and suddenly we were all mimicking him and D-X and the Rock in 3rd class everyday.

You can actually pinpoint that overnight to two days. March 29-30, 1998. Pretty much all the big stuff in the Attitude Era was established at WM14/the Raw the night after.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Sorry to detail a bit, but if you want to do that survey please try to do it before this evening. If I have time tonight I'm going to try and get started on it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

abraxas posted:

I used to be a massive Papa Shango mark as a kid. I'm not sure what that says about me but there ya go.

Same with me, my 2 favorite wrestlers were IRS and Papa Shango which was a weird combo for the time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All children should learn about the tax code.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

even with them being heels, I used to enjoy when IRS (and really, Rick Rude before that, more than anything) would berate the crowd on the mic before every match.

So what I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, out-of-shape, PSP sweathogs watch this video to see what classic heel heat looks like.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've never seen Heroes of Wrestling. Should I watch it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sportsgenius86 posted:

It depends. Are you a fan of Jake Roberts? If you are, no you shouldn't watch it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's incredibly boring, not at all bad in a charming way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

well drat. I feel like I need to see it just to say that I have, but now I don't know.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

sportsgenius86 posted:

well drat. I feel like I need to see it just to say that I have, but now I don't know.

Watch the Iron Sheik match and Jake's promo, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I got all I needed from reading a couple of the reviews.

I think Botchamania's piece of the intro that has Jake saying "Wanna play 21?" was from that PPV, yes?