Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah you can pretty much just study whatever the smaller people are studying, become as technically solid as they are, and then drop them on their heads.

I think the focus on beating bigger people is mostly a marketing thing, in a few ways.

• Smaller people are probably more worried about self defense in the first place, so market to them. If you're huge and you're worried about self defense you're probably worried about multiple attackers and weapons and stuff like that.
  • You don't really want to attract bullies and wife beaters and that sort of thing. Nor do you want that reputation.
  • Beating a bigger stronger opponent is actually impressive enough to brag about. If your art is great for mauling smaller people, nobody is really impressed; why even bother talking about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The implication with the "defend yourself from a larger attacker" is that you can overcome the size difference with skill. A bigger, equally skilled person will just beat you up, obviously.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
In addition to what's been said, there's also always someone bigger and stronger than you, even for big and strong dudes.

relevant to the topic: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dCEUi683As&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3dCEUi683As

Decades fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 19, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The implication with the "defend yourself from a larger attacker" is that you can overcome the size difference with skill. A bigger, equally skilled person will just beat you up, obviously.

Of course, I mean, there's a reason for weight classes in most combat sports, and why the heavyweights are always the biggest deal and the often the best moneymakers in any style of martial art. Boxing, K1, MMA, whatever, because they would punch, kick or grapple the poo poo out of the lighter weight classes. A heavyweight with 10 points on a martial art skill (to talk nerd here, which is cool since assume we're all sorta nerds) is more or less unbeatable for a lighter guy who also has 10 points on, uhh, the same skill.

The best heavyweight in your martial art will dominate if not destroy the best light heavyweight, who will dominate the best middleweight, who would destroy the best welterweight, and so on.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Raenir Salazar posted:

I frequently see/read/hear that generally that "X Martial Art is to help defend yourself against someone bigger and stronger"; what happens if you ARE the bigger and stronger person, what do you learn?

You don't need to know how to fight - you're naturally getting more attention from the ladies, get more job opportunities, can lift heavy things and can reach things from high shelves. You have no need to prove yourself, people know when they look at you not to mess with you, and nothing they have is worth fighting for. Fighting is the little man's game.

Use your natural size and strength to laugh at them. If you don't direct any energy towards them there is nothing to redirect.

That said, sambo. Something about Russia and bears and crushing your opponents mercilessly makes it kind of poetic. Or Muay Thai - ignore their feeble attempts to hurt you, move in, clinch and you can just throw them about all day.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 19, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Decades posted:

In addition to what's been said, there's also always someone bigger and stronger than you, even for big and strong dudes.

Not always.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ligur posted:

The best heavyweight in your martial art will dominate if not destroy the best light heavyweight, who will dominate the best middleweight, who would destroy the best welterweight, and so on.

This is more of a general rule of thumb. Smaller prodigies can compete with bigger players in certain combat sports. Key word is prodigy, or having an exceptional skill advantage. And it still does not make it easy.

The All-Japan Judo Championships is an open weight judo tournament. The winners historically have always been heavyweights, but some light heavyweights have won as well. Koga (fought at -71kg) also once made a very deep run to championship match where he got big-manned by the winner.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Hey just because Karelin hasn't met Bob Sapp yet that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Headline: Bob Sapp taps to Karelin after pre-match handshake proves too much.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

hi liter posted:

This is more of a general rule of thumb.

Of course, there's grappling tournaments all over with smaller guys scoring on huge dudes within the limites of the rules, and the first 10 UFC competitions do exist etc. but in general in a given art, like say boxing, or MMA, or whatever, the heavy champ will beat the ever living poo poo ouf of the smaller champ, and this is how it works in general and is also why GSP won't fight Spider/Weidman or the Spider won't fight Cain and none of these will ever fight Aldo and so on.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You guys are over analysing this so much. Technique will get you so far and you'll be able to put it to use that much more effectively if you're physically superior to your opponent.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I frequently see/read/hear that generally that "X Martial Art is to help defend yourself against someone bigger and stronger"; what happens if you ARE the bigger and stronger person, what do you learn?

Literally anything.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The owner of our club recently spent a year in San Antonio, Texas, and like we all here know already noticed the one thing you can do for dirt cheap or even free is training at a boxing club. So, being concerned about the decline of youth sports here in general, and to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of our club he decided 7-13 and 14-17 year old boys and girls can enroll to our Boxing School course for free. And I tell you, kid hobbies around here ain't cheap in general. So, now we have some 40 new little kids in one group and 50 in the other.

Here's a picture of them going at it.

JUST LOOK AT THEM. SO HAPPY.

:love:

There's no way you can deny this is the coolest thing like ever and also f u to people who milk parents money so their kids can do something healthy and fun and smile and play and run around with boxing gloves and stuff.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ahem...

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

He looks so relieved to have won :3:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ligur posted:

The owner of our club recently spent a year in San Antonio, Texas, and like we all here know already noticed the one thing you can do for dirt cheap or even free is training at a boxing club. So, being concerned about the decline of youth sports here in general, and to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of our club he decided 7-13 and 14-17 year old boys and girls can enroll to our Boxing School course for free. And I tell you, kid hobbies around here ain't cheap in general. So, now we have some 40 new little kids in one group and 50 in the other.

There's no way you can deny this is the coolest thing like ever and also f u to people who milk parents money so their kids can do something healthy and fun and smile and play and run around with boxing gloves and stuff.

Dawww :3: That is a really cool thing to do though.

I like watching the kids BJJ class before kickboxing sometimes. They do so much fun stuff. Here's our instructor being the Crazy Dog. Kind of a cheesy video but they're having so much fun.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

the difference in torsos is pretty fun.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

the difference in torsos is pretty fun.

I'm pretty sure that Karelin's six pack has a six pack.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Real violence: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1455914607969102

Russians and East-Europeans always have the most insane group fight clips. And there's ALWAYS at least that one guy who throws a flying/dropkick when the two armies first clash. The nasty thing here is the uncommon amount of kicking downed people :( Everyone take note: violence sucks and never fight.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That's hosed up. Super hosed up.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
A certain amount of technique can compensate for a certain lack of strength

but so too can a certain amount of strength compensate for a lack of technique.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ligur posted:

D'aww :3:

I am slowly warming up to the idea of teaching the kids at my judo club. Bossing around a gaggle of 9 year olds is actually a lot more fun than I thought it would. Even though I'm developing a reputation for being 'the mean one' (my usual uke is 'the nice one').

McNerd posted:

• You don't really want to attract bullies and wife beaters and that sort of thing. Nor do you want that reputation.

There was a guy at my judo club who I swear if I ever saw him again I'd simply leave the mat. He was from some MMA gym and everything about him seemed... off. He would do this thing where he'd use innuendo when talking to me while we were doing randori, as if he wanted to provoke me or get a reaction. He was really careless, such as getting somebody in the face while doing an armlock. Two or three separate people said he'd punched them in the face. The guy stopped attending the club, probably when he realised that nobody seemed particularly enthused to work with him.

Also an update on my uke: she's gotten a lot better lately, particularly after one of the black belts noticed how badly she falls and spoke to her about it, but she'll still grab me when I try to throw her and keeps anticipating my throws and will try and 'ground' herself instinctively to keep herself from being thrown. It's really frustrating but I've started working with the others a lot more and there's really not much further I can do about it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been trying to create the Ultimate Theory of Punch Striking Explained in 15 Seconds.

This far I've come up with this:

1) Strike from your jawline
2) Be loose, don't clench your upper body

Objections, refinements?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

I've been trying to create the Ultimate Theory of Punch Striking Explained in 15 Seconds.

Objections, refinements?

Keep your hands up and pivot your hips

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ligur posted:

There are so many exceptions to this it might as well be struck

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

mewse posted:

Keep your hands up and pivot your hips

This pretty much sums up everything you're supposed to learn in the first like, three years of strike training.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Documentary about a journeyman fighter with 4-96 record. Click and watch when you have an hour to spend.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

Objections, refinements?

punch hard
don't not punch hard

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
1) Hit
2) Don't Get Hit

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
1) Train Wing Chun
2) And Krav Maga

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ligur posted:

1) Train Wing Chun
2) And Krav Maga

I couldve avoided so many years of painful difficult training if someone were just kind enough to tell me this at the start

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
10 see face
20 punch face
30 goto 10

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

I am slowly warming up to the idea of teaching the kids at my judo club. Bossing around a gaggle of 9 year olds is actually a lot more fun than I thought it would. Even though I'm developing a reputation for being 'the mean one' (my usual uke is 'the nice one').

I'm not a big fan of kids generally but I'm warming up to teaching them as well. Mostly I think because if they don't listen I can throw them or choke them "To demonstrate the technique" and its ok.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

froglet posted:

Also an update on my uke: she's gotten a lot better lately, particularly after one of the black belts noticed how badly she falls and spoke to her about it, but she'll still grab me when I try to throw her and keeps anticipating my throws and will try and 'ground' herself instinctively to keep herself from being thrown. It's really frustrating but I've started working with the others a lot more and there's really not much further I can do about it.

That was the good thing about my old club, we had a 120kg kick boxer who had an amatuer record of 22-1 who acted as our enforcer. He wouldn't kick the poo poo out of people but it was close.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

punch hard
don't not punch hard

fatherdog posted:

1) Hit
2) Don't Get Hit

trying to give the fans a show here, they paid good money for their tickets JUUUUST bleed.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I don't remember who said it here, but it was something to the tune of that fighting and fighting with someone who does't ever train anything is like having someone who has played basketball for 10 years playing against someone who has done it for 2 weeks, and seeing how it goes. Uggh. :haw:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Ligur posted:

I don't remember who said it here, but it was something to the tune of that fighting and fighting with someone who does't ever train anything is like having someone who has played basketball for 10 years playing against someone who has done it for 2 weeks, and seeing how it goes. Uggh. :haw:

Do BJJ for 2 months. You will get your rear end kicked, you might not ever tap someone. Now wrestle your buddy in the backyard, and feel like an absolute monster.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

There's always someone fatter and better at stalling without being penalised for passivity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dangersim posted:

Do BJJ for 2 months. You will get your rear end kicked, you might not ever tap someone. Now wrestle your buddy in the backyard, and feel like an absolute monster.

Yeah I just sparred with a friend who has sort of done boxing for maybe two years (not aiming to compete), and has done what I think is a bit of sparring on the side. I'm athletically inferior to almost anyone you'd see walking down the street, but my additional thousands of rounds in experience made his day very frustrating.

Am I slow? Yeah. Am I weak? For my size, yeah. Does my conditioning suck? Sure. But all of that doesn't really matter when you got all the angles, ring craft and distancing covered 10 times better than the guy you are sparring with, you'll still tool him so bad. (Not talking about high level combat sports here, of course.)

• Locked thread