Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Geektox posted:

You can use Pushbullet. It works really well and will push things back to chrome as well.

This. I loving love this app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Vinlaen posted:

2) What's the best navbar replacement for the Nexus 5? I hate the soft buttons taking up so much space...
There's a thing that mimics the ICS browser thing where you can swipe in from the side of the screen to access navbuttons, but it requires root. Not sure if you can hide the navbar on stock though.

I can link you the xda thread tomorrow if you want, though you can probably find it pretty easily yourself.

There's also something similar built into cyanogenmod and probably about every other custom rom these days.

E: Link to the xda-thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 20, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is it possible that the "we couldn't record your answers but will try again later" thing is related to being rooted? I can't even sign up for the service without it failing.

I'm also rooted but I had three successful submissions before it started failing. I also haven't seen one in a few days, so I hope they didn't disqualify me because of all my failures (in life).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

I'm also rooted but I had three successful submissions before it started failing. I also haven't seen one in a few days, so I hope they didn't disqualify me because of all my failures (in life).
Goddamnit. Like I said, I can't even get past the initial survey. I've tried about ten times.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Siroc posted:

Velis autobrightness or Lux (or others)?

These look the same?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Lux on my Nexus 7 and love it. The night mode it borrows from the PC f.lux is especially cool.

There's a couple dozen apps with Lux in the title, which are you guys talking about?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

There's a couple dozen apps with Lux in the title, which are you guys talking about?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en_GB

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vitocassisi.luxlite&hl=en_GB

EDIT: Re: N5 nav buttons. I flashed a small mod which makes these 36dp(?) tall - think it's like 2/3 the original size. Still really easy to hit but take up less real estate. I'm not a big fan of PIE and its ilk. Though I am tempted by some of the custom roms that have been popping up. Trying to hold off until things have been tested a bit better by the kindly folk over at XDA.

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 20, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Goddamnit. Like I said, I can't even get past the initial survey. I've tried about ten times.
My test survey had a question like "Make a statement to give to congress" and I just uninstalled it right there because gently caress surveys where you have to write stuff. I've got better things to do with my time than do homework for chump change. Like make terrible posts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What's the best app to back up your phone these days? I need to reflash my droid bionic because it won't update OTA but I'm irresponsible and don't back anything up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My test survey had a question like "Make a statement to give to congress" and I just uninstalled it right there because gently caress surveys where you have to write stuff. I've got better things to do with my time than do homework for chump change. Like make terrible posts.
I've gone through both initial surveys (one is "about" politics, the other television) about five times each. The point of the initial surveys is to determine that you're not a drooling retard so they were probably looking for spelling or even just a sentence. The television version is "What is your favorite television program?" and you have to type something in. I don't get the impression that the actual surveys are asking you complex questions to answer. Both initial surveys are of the format ask a question, ask another question, ask the first question again with the selections reversed, ask an open ended question, ask a paying attention question.

I'd honestly just like a couple bucks in the Play Store account to try out a paid app or two every once in a while as I just have a psychological barrier to actually purchasing an app unless I'm really sure I'm going to use it. I think if some of the money was "found" I'd probably be a lot more likely to throw down for things on a whim. :(

rscott posted:

What's the best app to back up your phone these days? I need to reflash my droid bionic because it won't update OTA but I'm irresponsible and don't back anything up.
If you're not rooted, nothing. Helium doesn't work on Motorolas because Motorola disables the ADB command that it uses and Titanium requires you to be rooted.

If you're rooted, Titanium since it's your only option.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 20, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I went looking around but all the guides to rooting 2.3.4 are 2+ years old and the links to gingerbread root program are gone. If I'm hosed, I'm hosed, I'll just bite the bullet and chalk it up to being a dumbass.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rscott posted:

Yeah I went looking around but all the guides to rooting 2.3.4 are 2+ years old and the links to gingerbread root program are gone. If I'm hosed, I'm hosed, I'll just bite the bullet and chalk it up to being a dumbass.
Well 2.3.4 is three years old at this point so no surprise there. Yeah there's nothing you can do about it now but the positive is that you're probably due for an upgrade.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been using Series Guide to track shows I watch and warn me of upcoming new series but I'm fairly aggravated with it. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it can take minutes to mark an episode watched. Plus the updates seem to break as much as they fix. There are a bunch of similar apps but any specific recommendations?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I really hate that youtube pauses videos if you switch to another app and there's no setting to get it to stop doing that.

Is there an app to get around this? I just want to listen to songs on youtube in the background while I do other things.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

wormil posted:

Been using Series Guide to track shows I watch and warn me of upcoming new series but I'm fairly aggravated with it. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it can take minutes to mark an episode watched. Plus the updates seem to break as much as they fix. There are a bunch of similar apps but any specific recommendations?

Cliffhanger works fine for me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

I think it was far less than just "in part" due to the fact that iOS and iTunes supports podcasting natively and that Android's other podcast offerings are, let's face it, all really ugly and bad.

Meh, beyondpod was & is a fine alternative, and you have to balance the perceived quality of any iOS podcast app with the fact that none of them could auto-download in the background (I know this is fixed in iOS 7).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tekz posted:

I really hate that youtube pauses videos if you switch to another app and there's no setting to get it to stop doing that.

Is there an app to get around this? I just want to listen to songs on youtube in the background while I do other things.

Viral Floating YouTube Popup.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

It's been about 6 months since Twitter clients were discussed in this thread, has the app landscape changed at all?

I'm an iOS convert looking for the next best thing to Tweetbot to use on my Nexus 7 (which rules out Carbon apparently).

So far Plume seems to be the best of the clients I've tried. I didn't like TweetCaster, Echofon or the official app.

I'm considering checking out the $2.99 Tweetings app, anyone here using that or have an alternative to suggest? twicca and Falcon Pro are also on my list to check out.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 20, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

It's been about 6 months since Twitter clients were discussed in this thread, has the app landscape changed at all?

I'm an iOS convert looking for the next best thing to Tweetbot to use on my Nexus 7 (which rules out Carbon apparently).

So far Plume seems to be the best of the clients I've tried. I didn't like TweetCaster, Echofon or the official app.

I'm considering checking out the $2.99 Tweetings app, anyone here using that or have an alternative to suggest? twicca and Falcon Pro are also on my list to check out.

Honestly the official Twitter app has gotten a ton better (especially if you got into their alpha program because you can see they are changing things which is neat). Falcon Pro is fine but apparently the latest version has a couple of bugs with lag or something? At least that is what I'm reading on the G+ page.

Tweetings is a really decent app and I think it was well worth the $2.99 or whatever for it. It's a nice simple looking client, same goes with Twicca although Twicca I think is due for a new UI.

If you're looking for an app to be "Tweetbot for Android" There really isn't anything on Android like that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I just noticed in Hangouts that the little floating icon in the thread that tell you where the other person has read to now shows a little phone icon if they're looking at the thread at that moment from mobile. It's like they're making all these tiny little baby steps towards putting the 'who is online' functionality back properly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

So I just noticed in Hangouts that the little floating icon in the thread that tell you where the other person has read to now shows a little phone icon if they're looking at the thread at that moment from mobile. It's like they're making all these tiny little baby steps towards putting the 'who is online' functionality back properly.
There's also different icons for computers and tablets.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does the latest iteration of the official Twitter app remember your timeline position?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Does the latest iteration of the official Twitter app remember your timeline position?

I think so, I haven't really noticed that much.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, like LastInLine said, they weren't looking for a 12th grade Civics class essay. I literally typed in two words, "Universal Healthcare."

In the three surveys I've had since, I haven't had to type anything in, all radio buttons.

Though I got several "right away" (like, three in four or five dats,) but nothing since then, and that was about a week ago.

drat you, Google Rewards! I want to get, like, $1/day over here! Rack up some sweet Play Store credit! :argh:

Wait...can you use Play Store credit for devices, or only apps? Just apps, right?

koekje4life
Aug 11, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

It does if you don't kill the application, but it caps at a certain amount seemingly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait...can you use Play Store credit for devices, or only apps? Just apps, right?
And music and movies.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything except hardware/accessories.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Simple little paint type app I can put a circle or an arrow on a picture? (or draw dicks on people's foreheads)

I needed to email someone where a certain sidewalk/entrance to a building was yesterday and used my PC to screenshot maps and mspaint an arrow onto it. I'm positive I could've done this on my phone just not sure what to look for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know I've used PicSay in the past for stuff like that. I have no idea if it's the best, but it has a fairly high rating on the market.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

koekje4life posted:

It does if you don't kill the application, but it caps at a certain amount seemingly.
Yeah, it's not as good at it as third party apps so I've stuck with Plume but the official app is getting better.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Simple little paint type app I can put a circle or an arrow on a picture? (or draw dicks on people's foreheads)

I needed to email someone where a certain sidewalk/entrance to a building was yesterday and used my PC to screenshot maps and mspaint an arrow onto it. I'm positive I could've done this on my phone just not sure what to look for.

Depending on your phone, you may already be able to do that. I have a SGS3 and when I hit menu on a picture in the gallery I can click "Advanced Edit" and then "Decoration" let's me basically paint in whatever I want.

I've used Picsay before to do speech bubbles but if you just want to draw you can possibly avoid needing a whole 'nother app for that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My cyanogen gallery and my gallery-replacement app (quickpic) look like they just do cropping, filters or pictureframe type stuff when you click an edit option. No advanced edit there. Picsay is installed and looks like it'll do the kind of stuff I want.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

My cyanogen gallery and my gallery-replacement app (quickpic) look like they just do cropping, filters or pictureframe type stuff when you click an edit option. No advanced edit there. Picsay is installed and looks like it'll do the kind of stuff I want.

That's probably the best bet, then. It doesn't look that great but it's nice enough when you want to send an arrow or speech bubble (when I was dog sitting my mom got plenty of pictures of the dog saying weird poo poo, not sure how nice it was for her to get).
I used the Google Experience (I think it's called that?) gallery replacement and it doesn't have the drawing option. It looks like it should but it only gives me stupid filter options, which I'd use Instagram for if I wanted that kind of editing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Play Magazines and Currents are no more (though they didn't remove the later from the market yet.)

Play Newsstand replaces both.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/20/google-play-newstand/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Play Magazines and Currents are no more (though they didn't remove the later from the market yet.)

I've never used Magazines much, but the Newsstand interface is much nicer than Currents. The back button and swiping from left to right now do things that make sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What I want to know is if they finally added cross device last page read syncing in Magazines. I'm guessing probably not, but one can hope.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

Works fine here.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

I kind of like it, but I don't think I'd use it without a widget. I like my news feeds right on my homescreen. The app itself seems nice though, certainly better than Currents.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is every single magazine free right now? They show a price when you click Add it shows £0.00 on everything. Slightly scared to actually buy a bunch though.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I kind of like it, but I don't think I'd use it without a widget. I like my news feeds right on my homescreen. The app itself seems nice though, certainly better than Currents.

Mind if I ask how you get your news and how it's set up?

I subscribe to a couple car magazines, some pipe tobacco stuff, some local stuff, a couple music websites, android stuff, and a few general news sources and there's no way I could manage it all and what I have and haven't read without something like feedly + gReader.

I just don't see how I could manage it all with a widget unless I was checking in on it every 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Is it just me or is every single magazine free right now? They show a price when you click Add it shows £0.00 on everything. Slightly scared to actually buy a bunch though.

To answer my own post:

No, that isn't true. Most stuff is charged as normal but a bunch of specific things are free. Here are some that I found which are currently free (in the UK, may be different elsewhere):

PC Gamer (UK)
EDGE
Total Film
Android Magazine
Maximum PC
Cycling Plus
T3
MacFormat
Mac|Life
SFX
Official Xbox Magazine
Chrochet Today
.net

Back issues seem to all show the correct prices so it may be an intentional offer that Google are running but they haven't actually mentioned it anywhere that I can find.

Lots of others also show up for wildly different prices to the ones in the category listings. Sometimes a lot cheaper, sometimes more expensive.

Basically go grab some free magazines.

• Locked thread