Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I don't think its that. For once in Brittania's troubled history there are no factions at the moment. They're all plotting to steal each others' land and kill various people I don't care about enough to stop them from killing. Nobody is plotting against me directly (that I know of).

e; I have been busted in a couple unrelated assassination plots and it's generally known I will assassinate the gently caress out of anyone if I stand to gain from it. Maybe it's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dallan Invictus posted:

Everyone who dislikes blobs or alternatively wants an actual challenge even after they've conquered half the map?

Hell, the big selling point for CK2+ for the longest time was a nerf to vassal levies for large realms. 2.0 just chose a different way to do it.

Yeah, this looks like a really nice change. I might actually be able to fight huge mega-empires without having to become a megablob myself, and I might actually find the game interesting & challenging once I get past ~200 holdings.

Pretty psyched to start playing again, once Paradox releases the hotfix for the SoA patch's issues.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They have already released a beta patch that seems to fix most issues.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Clanpot Shake posted:

I don't think its that. For once in Brittania's troubled history there are no factions at the moment. They're all plotting to steal each others' land and kill various people I don't care about enough to stop them from killing. Nobody is plotting against me directly (that I know of).

e; I have been busted in a couple unrelated assassination plots and it's generally known I will assassinate the gently caress out of anyone if I stand to gain from it. Maybe it's that?

No, Dauntasa explained it correctly, it's the ultimatum thing. There is however a glitch where some characters will get stuck with that flag for the rest of their lives; I've had it happen in my game too.

The only clean fix was to open the save file with a text editor, find that character, and manually delete the flag from their entry. Chalk it up as another reason not to bother with Ironman in Paradox games

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It just occurred to me that a nerf to levies means that playing as a merchant republic just got easier, since they rely on mercs and retinues.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't really understand the point of ironman mode. Is it just for people with no self control? I will admit to very occasionally savescumming but 90% of the time I have no problem resisting the temptation.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DStecks posted:

It just occurred to me that a nerf to levies means that playing as a merchant republic just got easier, since they rely on mercs and retinues.

They did increase the cost of mercs and retinues by 20% as well but I dunno how big of a difference that will make in reality.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They did increase the cost of mercs and retinues by 20% as well but I dunno how big of a difference that will make in reality.

Not much for a developed Merchant Republic with a good trade network.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

NihilCredo posted:

No, Dauntasa explained it correctly, it's the ultimatum thing. There is however a glitch where some characters will get stuck with that flag for the rest of their lives; I've had it happen in my game too.

The only clean fix was to open the save file with a text editor, find that character, and manually delete the flag from their entry. Chalk it up as another reason not to bother with Ironman in Paradox games

This is probably it. At some point I assassinated a faction's claimant after I rejected their ultimatum but before the war broke out.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Today I learned the danger in marrying a king possessed by Satan to a zealot.

So much work undone. :negative:

EDIT: Ha, she got sick and went infirm. Good luck ruling Hungary now.

EDIT 2: God drat it. My own son.

EDIT 3: the kinslayer trait is making me regret installing my family members in ever position of power. everything is terrible.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2013

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

marktheando posted:

I don't really understand the point of ironman mode. Is it just for people with no self control? I will admit to very occasionally savescumming but 90% of the time I have no problem resisting the temptation.

So what about that other 10% of the time?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

So what about that other 10% of the time?

Assassinations. :v:

Honestly though, I think paid hits could stand to have a boost to their chance to succeed, or at least let you spend more to increase the odds of it working. As it is, it's way too easy to savescum assassinations until they work, and without Ironman there isn't much incentive not to.

It ultimately boils down to how Paradox wants to balance plot vs. paid assassinations.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

With all the CK2+ chat, is there a handy guide to what exactly it does?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DStecks posted:

Assassinations. :v:

Hah, pretty much. The occasional diplo-assassination and very occasional super inconvenient ruler death are when I'm most tempted to savescum.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DStecks posted:

Yes and no. They nerfed levies in large blobs and from outlying vassals, but the sort of prey that republics usually pick on - OPMs, small duchies, and weak kingdoms - are mostly unchanged.

radlum
May 13, 2013
You wouldn't suggest buying the SoA DLC right now? I wanted to try the new features, but reading this thread makes me thing I'll be better off waiting until a sale, is that right?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

radlum posted:

You wouldn't suggest buying the SoA DLC right now? I wanted to try the new features, but reading this thread makes me thing I'll be better off waiting until a sale, is that right?

Its still good, if your short of cash then wait, but if you wan't to give it a shot go for it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

marktheando posted:

In the two or three years I've been playing Paradox games, I think I've save-scummed twice. It's my crippling addiction to console-cheating that I need to be forcefully broken from, and the main reason I play ironman.

So yeah, essentially, people with no self-control. :v:

I also really like achievements more than I probably should care about meaningless internet video game badges, so it's nice to get those, too.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I can't say I really care for where CK2+ has been taken by the new crew. It's adding more and more bullshit that either should be optional submods or added by the player themselves if they wanted the mod. Wiz focused on mechanics that seemed broken or were irritating and did what he could to fix them in a manner he felt was appropriate. His faction v1.0 stuff made rebellions more than 1 province whack-a-mole then moved to the V2.0 court factions. Both improved the functionality of a rather arbitrary system. Not to mention the decadence system which gimped Muslim states or forced the player into tedious pruning of the family.

I dont care for gobbledegook Welsh and Greek names all over the map. I also don't want extra provinces in a both strong and unstable kingdom like France. All the way to Timbuktu being incorporated added provinces in areas on the map that had none and usually had no effect on gameplay.

I'd rather there be a "Legacy" package CK2+ that consisted of Wiz's poo poo ported to the latest patch and keep the current stuff in it's own present package.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

alcaras posted:

Is there a decent Republic LP anywhere? The main LP thread cuts off after three Republic entries. Specifically, I've read about getting plots to revoke trade posts from rival families... but I don't see any such plots available.

I've found myself oddly enchanted by the 867 Venice start, though my first game ended abruptly when stabbing failed and counterstabbing didn't.

I'm going to write up a small one for getting started once I've settled in to the new patch/DLC.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was wondering why my characters nephew kept asking me for permission to marry women from my court, and then I looked at his profile and discovered that he had the lunatic trait and he'd some how managed to murder 9 wives over the whole of his adult life. So I'd basically just been supplying my insane psychopathic nephew with women to slaughter.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does installing an antipope as an emperor still vassalize the Papacy? Does it remain vassalized upon Papal succession?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, this looks like a really nice change. I might actually be able to fight huge mega-empires without having to become a megablob myself, and I might actually find the game interesting & challenging once I get past ~200 holdings.

Pretty psyched to start playing again, once Paradox releases the hotfix for the SoA patch's issues.

Yeah, it just doesn't compute. There is no logic here.

"Levy nerfs are nice, I might be able to fight mega empires without becoming a mega empire myself." -> "might find the game interesting and challenging once I get past 200 holdings".

:psyduck:

These kind of people, that complain about blobbing and mega empires, because they cannot win fights against them, and then say the game is too easy once they become big enough, are just the worst.

I am playing as Venice having a really fun time (OG start). The Karlings have formed the HRE and Francia (two different realms, and rather close to their de jure borders), while Italy has a non-Karling king. The Byzantine Empire is strong, having recovered their lands in Asia. I have sniped most of Sicily and much of the Adriatic coast, but live in constant fear of the two Empires and the Italians. The HRE can muster 100k men, the Byzantines 80k, and the Italians about 25k, while I can only raise about 30k men. With the help of better tactics and mercenaries I can fight off any particular Empire, but when my troops are exhausted after forcing a white peace the other Empire has the tendency to declare war as well, sometimes joined by the Italians wanting some of de jure Italy back. If both the HRE and the Byzantines declare war, I will loose. You have to play around it, either sucking up to one of the big empires, engineering succession crises or forging an alliance per marriage. It is really fun, the constant back and forth, slowly making progress even against the inevitable setback.

But nooo, lets nerf levies and blobbing, the game is much more fun if the AI cannot form big rival nations that are a credible challenge to the player. I cannot understand that. If the enemy is too big and strong while you are a small duke or something then you should not expect to be able to win a fight against them. Get an alliance to another powerful ruler, suck up to the blobbing emperor, use smart assassinations/plots to weaken them, or swear fealty and destroy them from within. Play around your weakness instead of getting the developers to nerf big empires/kingdoms.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Torrannor posted:

But nooo, lets nerf levies and blobbing, the game is much more fun if the AI cannot form big rival nations that are a credible challenge to the player.

You know that the nerfs affect player nations too, right?

Torrannor posted:

"Levy nerfs are nice, I might be able to fight mega empires without becoming a mega empire myself." -> "might find the game interesting and challenging once I get past 200 holdings".

I'm not sure what your issue with this statement is. The patch makes smaller nations proportionately larger threats to big nations, both when the player is growing, and when they are defending later on.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Rumda posted:

I say it here the addition of the Europa Divisia map was the worst decision the CK2+ continuation team has ever made.

At least it wasn't SWMH. I'm still pushing that if any other map changes get made, that the Caspian sea area gets fixed. It's still quite atrocious.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Man the Khazars don't catch a break. Since their title is um.. Titular, they get reduced levies on top of an already difficult starting position. Being Invaded by literally every single neighbour is a little tricky when you can raise 4k including event troops.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

YouTuber posted:

I'd rather there be a "Legacy" package CK2+ that consisted of Wiz's poo poo ported to the latest patch and keep the current stuff in it's own present package.

I'm not quite saying to go that far the last version released, wasn't bad I think maybe make ancient religions a submod because I know people don't like it, the petter ambitions and objectives mod integrates well, and no hassles vassals is handy, but yeah we were talking about creating a ck2+goon fork while we were playing muliplayer last night but none of us had the skills or time to implement it, at least it would need removal or massive over haul of the ck2+ levy limitations and the excision of the Jewish mechanics which are over shadowed by the new jewness.

WilliamAnderson posted:

At least it wasn't SWMH. I'm still pushing that if any other map changes get made, that the Caspian sea area gets fixed. It's still quite atrocious.

Pleas tell me no one was pushing for SWMH...

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You're talking like the nerfs make small nations better than big ones, when that isn't the case at all. You're also talking about the changes in terms of how they affect wars between two independent realms, when the meat of it is designed to affect liege-vassal wars. The change adds diminishing returns to further territory gains, so a big empire is still strong, but it's harder for a country to snowball out of control.

You've very clearly never played a game where you're a duke inside MegaFrancia which has sprawled to include most of Christendom, meaning that you will probably be stuck in your position for the rest of the game because the Emperor will be able to roflstomp any rebellion. Blobs ruin a game.

Also, FYI, this:

Torrannor posted:

These kind of people, that complain about blobbing and mega empires, because they cannot win fights against them, and then say the game is too easy once they become big enough, are just the worst.

Is not a contradiction.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah yesterday we saw religious rebels ACTUALLY win in our multiplayer game, so the fixes are a step in the right direction

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.

QuoProQuid posted:

EDIT 3: the kinslayer trait is making me regret installing my family members in ever position of power. everything is terrible.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: Making me regret installing my family members in ever position of power. everything is terrible.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Necroneocon posted:

Goons: Don't play the game how you want to play it unless it involves keeping incest.

Did you quote the wrong person or something? The person you quoted seemed to be telling people to stop accusing people of being MRA's.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Everyone who dislikes blobs or alternatively wants an actual challenge even after they've conquered half the map?

If you want to stay in your de jure borders for 300 years managing affairs of state, then that option is already available to you. If you want to augment that by installing dynasty members into distant independent kingdoms, then you've always had that too. There's no doubt that now the game will be much harder once you've conquered half the map, but why would you bother? Just sit in your little kingdom and enjoy being far more powerful than large empires.

I guess I don't see the point in making expansion bad in a game where every possible action is designed around expansion.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

fool_of_sound posted:

Does installing an antipope as an emperor still vassalize the Papacy? Does it remain vassalized upon Papal succession?

Just checked: yes and yes. Interestingly, setting up an antipope will disqualify you from nominating any further bishops to the college of cardinals (obviously), but because all the bishops in your realm are now subserviant to your antipope, those already in the college of cardinals will immediately get kicked out and replaced over the next few months. So, uh, if your antipope doesn't work out then you can screw yourself over pretty hard. Risk/reward to it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I lost like 65% of my 220kish-vassal levies as Francia occupying all of Spain and Africa, and was like whaaaa, then I read about the patch. The only war that was a challenge before was a crusade without decent allies, I like the change.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

QuoProQuid posted:

This post is peak CK2. I love it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

WEREWAIF posted:

I lost like 65% of my 220kish-vassal levies as Francia occupying all of Spain and Africa, and was like whaaaa, then I read about the patch. The only war that was a challenge before was a crusade without decent allies, I like the change.

I don't really consider it a nerf, because all kingdoms are affected equally based on size. Your mega-Francia is weaker, but so are the mega-Abbasids. End result? More or less the same situation.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just realized you can get county/duchy-level claims from the Pope now! :getin:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mailer posted:

Just sit in your little kingdom and enjoy being far more powerful than large empires.

I guess I don't see the point in making expansion bad in a game where every possible action is designed around expansion.

But you're not "far more powerful than large empires" as a small player, it's just that now the large empire isn't completely invulnerable to either internal or external threats and can't necessarily levy more than the rest of the world combined?

Expansion isn't bad, it's just not as good as it used to be and you still have things to worry about once you've expanded.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The latest CK+ has some interesting bugs, to say the least. I've being spammed constantly with Sunset Invasion events; what makes this especially hilarious is that the Aztec invasion armies are being distributed to totally random characters across the map every time this happens. The Pope and the Count of Capua just had a cordial argument that ended in a battle of over seven hundred thousand men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

If you want to stay in your de jure borders for 300 years managing affairs of state, then that option is already available to you. If you want to augment that by installing dynasty members into distant independent kingdoms, then you've always had that too. There's no doubt that now the game will be much harder once you've conquered half the map, but why would you bother? Just sit in your little kingdom and enjoy being far more powerful than large empires.

It's not punishing expansion, it's just lowering the benefits of expansion beyond a certain point. Your mega-empire will still have an advantage over smaller empires and kingdoms, it just doesn't have as much as an advantage, so you're more vulnerable to your vassals and to large alliances and you can't just effortlessly curbstomp literally everything that isn't another mega-empire blob.

• Locked thread