Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Mob posted:

I picked up SolForge a few days ago and really enjoyed it and put a lot of hours into it in just a few days. Then I found this game yesterday and now Solforge is babytown frolics. It's still fun but this is REALLY fun(so far).

You can add me on there as NewCardSmell. After I grind out a couple decks worth of cards I might start streaming.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I played SolForge and enjoyed enough to sink at least 100 hours into it. Then randomly I found out about this game several days ago and tried it. In terms of the mechanics and design, it's pretty much what I've been looking for in a CCG. I actually just received my Hex invite today, but I don't think that game will get much play from me.

I'm honestly surprised MMDoC hasn't had a bigger SA following since its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I played SolForge and enjoyed enough to sink at least 100 hours into it. Then randomly I found out about this game several days ago and tried it. In terms of the mechanics and design, it's pretty much what I've been looking for in a CCG. I actually just received my Hex invite today, but I don't think that game will get much play from me.

I'm honestly surprised MMDoC hasn't had a bigger SA following since its release.

I'm working on that. I'm in talks with Ubisoft about doing some contests and prizes. They seem pretty eager.

I''d suggest people jump into however, it is really easy to play and you get a ton of free stuff without having to drop a dime.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
IGN name is the same as SA name bengy81.

Just started playing this a few days ago and so far I am hooked. Been rolling the starter necro deck, seems to work pretty well EXCEPT against the starter inferno deck, at least unmodified. Most people I have played, still sub-100 elo, are terribads when making decks, so the "custom" inferno decks aren't too scary.

People get angry in funny ways too, I was told to die in a hole yesterday. :allears:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Man some days the RNG gods just smile on you. I hit 1001 Elo and bought 3 HotV packs with my reward money.

I mainly play Dhamiria and Adar Malik. In three packs I pull 2 Void Arbiters, my fourth decay spitter, and two Soul Consuming Lich. You basically could not ask for better packs than that for me specifically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dahbadu posted:

It's been mostly a Euro game as far as I can tell, most of the "popular" streamers are also European and the DoC developers are located there as well.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I'm in as Incyer. Seems pretty fun so far, and either Inferno is really powerful at starting out or a lot of people are awful. Probably a mix of the two.

Also small card packs are the worst thing. I just got an achievement that gave me five card packs without noticing they were small. That was a letdown.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Urgh, can't decide whether to buy HotV packs to try to get Might of Nature, Void Rising to try to get Blackskull Drummers, or Forgotten Wars to get Sahaar Skirmishers.

And I'm pretty tired of playing Haven so far, I need about another 15 games to win with it to get that achievement. And I haven't even touched Necropolis yet, or gotten a Sanctuary Hero.

Are Heroic packs the only way to get Heroes other than boxes or specific decks?

Also Phased creatures are the bane of Stronghold decks that don't have Air or Fire, it seems.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 20, 2013

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
You can also open heroes in normal packs and they take the place of the rare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Higsian posted:

You can also open heroes in normal packs and they take the place of the rare.

Yeah, Heroic packs are just guaranteed to have a Hero and cards weighted to that Hero's faction.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really don't get why my opponents keep surrendering when they think the game is a loss.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
I need some help, I just started and am doing the tutorial missons, but I'm stuck. I defeated everyone I can in the first two missions, but I didn't receive enough XP to make it to level 3, which is required for the third mission. What do I do? I still just have the inferno starter deck, slightly modified with what I opened in 3 packs I got from a reward (I threw out some useless Fortunes and Spells for more creatures, which seemed like a good idea).

I'm scared to start playing Duels/Tournaments etc with a 95% starter deck :ohdear:

I would get more cards, but I don't have enough Seals to buy the Champion box, and I don't want to spend more than 15$ on this game just yet, which gets me 1200 Seals - not enough for the box still.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So I've fought a ton of 1000+ ELO Crag Hack decks today, and they beat me every single time. I was playing my Academy deck. There might have been one game I could've won, but I made a mistake. Seriously, one mistake against these decks and you lose.

Anyone else have similar a experience in 1000+ ELO?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

So I've fought a ton of 1000+ ELO Crag Hack decks today, and they beat me every single time. I was playing my Academy deck. There might have been one game I could've won, but I made a mistake. Seriously, one mistake against these decks and you lose.

I'm not quite 1000+, but even in the 500-1000 tier I'm in Crag Hack is the only hero I really dread seeing when I start up a game. If they get even a half-decent draw you're getting rushed by so much poo poo so fast it's hard to recover from.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

DurdleDuck posted:

What do I do?

I'm scared to start playing Duels/Tournaments etc with a 95% starter deck :ohdear:

Don't be scared. Most people in the lower ELO brackets are in your exact situation. Don't expect to win every game (unless you're good at CCGs), but expect to win at least 50% of them. Seriously, give it a try. I think you'll be surprised by how easily you can win.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

So far with Adar-Malik vs Crag Hack, my only solution has been mass removal which means fireballs and getting my magic up to 3 to use the forbidden flame asap if the board is flooded with creatures. If I can survive that early rush until around turn 6-8, I can stabilize and start destroying anything he sends via my other sources of removal e.g recurring banshees, decay spitters e.t.c

But yeah, the early rush is difficult to deal with. Which Academy hero do you use?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Myranda. My deck matures mid-to-late game, relying on efficient creatures. I can beat Sanctuary reasonably well. Necro and Inferno about 50/50.

Around turn 6-7 I usually have the ability to clear most of the board with a Forked Lightning (if I draw one). The problem is I rarely make it that long against Crag Hacks (they always seem to draw well), and whenever it's my turn the Events always seem to jack up my spell cost.

I might try putting in some Enslaved Harpies or Gargoyles... The question is, what to take out...

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 20, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I finally got to 2400 seals for the champion box at level 12, with promo codes and the bonuses from dueling friends. The bonus wildcards are also a huge boon, got to pick up more Dark Assassins and Pao Deathseekers to help fill out of the deck. It actually feels like a deck now instead of a good sealed deck.

I'm playing Necro without any other viable options in my card pool and was thinking of saving up to buy the Ariana pre-con to replace my awful default hero. Would be giving up about 6 HotV packs to get her and the rares.

I love how this game feels so much more like Magic than the other digital CCGs I've played. It contains so many of the card types and deck archetypes that others miss out on. And it feels like if you have a good understanding of magic, this game is a snap to pick up on. All the things you've learned like tempo, beatdown roles, mana curves, deck building direction, and card advantage will still apply in this game.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Dahbadu posted:

I'm playing aggro necro, but the Crag decks don't feel like a horrible match up to me. It's not in my favor, but my early creatures match up pretty well and my 4s do a good job of catching back up to keep the games from feeling like blow-outs. But I do usually need to draw a Geyser to actually win, and the turns ticking up magic to cast that are a big reason I want to get a better hero.

Of course, sometimes they have a nuts draw and just plow you over.

For some reason, I've also seen Crag and Kelthor control decks, which was really confusing and sad.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

I might try putting in some Enslaved Harpies or Gargoyles... The question is, what to take out...

Gargoyles, for sure. They seem to be a staple for Academy decks that I go up against but I don't have much experience with Academy so YMMV. Myranda can use the unique spell - Gate to Nowhere. Seems awesome but dunno if it's actually useful. Do you have Chain Lightning? It's cheaper than waiting for Forked. 4m vs 6m.

If the problem is surviving until turn 6, then gargoyles should be good enough plus any cheap mass removal if you get in trouble. Then it's time to open a can of whoop-rear end on Crag Hack :black101:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Why are half my opponents quitting out before the match starts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Why are half my opponents quitting out before the match starts?

So they don't go above 1000 ELO and hence have to play anyone good with their Tier 1 decks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jedit posted:

So they don't go above 1000 ELO and hence have to play anyone good with their Tier 1 decks.

By the way, does anyone else feel like they're uncomfortable in their current ELO? I'm 729 and routinely bouncing down to 600 and back up again. All these Sanctuary decks which utterly annihilate in one turn are just...

I feel like I'm playing with a sealed deck. This is what I got given and there's not much I can do (the switch back to Cassandra and Light is a huge boon though.)

I'm also quite annoyed because had I been smart with my seals I would be incredibly close to the Champions Box right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Onmi posted:

By the way, does anyone else feel like they're uncomfortable in their current ELO? I'm 729 and routinely bouncing down to 600 and back up again. All these Sanctuary decks which utterly annihilate in one turn are just...

No, you're in the right ELO band and they are not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Inexplicable behavior.

So you have the game won. And you're thinking "Hmm, how can I kill the most amount of monsters to maximize my cash/exp flow" when suddenly the screen goes dark because your opponent has surrendered.
But this confuses me, because Surrender is a penalty to your EXP gain, so why would you take that rather than sit through the final turn anyway?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Onmi posted:

I really don't get why my opponents keep surrendering when they think the game is a loss.

This. For me at least I think its because I am playing dudes just as new to the game as myself, and they don't really know how all the decks work, so they assume its a loss.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The worst loss for me, was when I hit end turn when my Holy Praetorian had a free shot and I didn't take it.

I wound up losing that match by 1 damage.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Onmi posted:

Inexplicable behavior.

So you have the game won. And you're thinking "Hmm, how can I kill the most amount of monsters to maximize my cash/exp flow" when suddenly the screen goes dark because your opponent has surrendered.
But this confuses me, because Surrender is a penalty to your EXP gain, so why would you take that rather than sit through the final turn anyway?

It never says in the tutorial that surrender penalizes your xp gain, so people probably just don't notice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

True enough.

I finally have enough Seals for "The Box" but I'm going to hold out for another 13 levels (or 11 I guess due to the Level 20 bonus) In hopes of saving up for the Champions box. Hopefully it will still be on sale then.

Right now I'm level 13, and Void Rising continues to disappoint the gently caress out of me. giving me none of the Wolf cards that I really want. My only solace is every pack brings me closer to unlocking the cards in the Altar of Wishes.

Also that once I have, I have a fucktonne of fodder for the Infernal pit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jedit posted:

The ELO floor is pretty nice for people trying to grind up the ladder but man is it a pain in the rear end for new players with bad cardbases. The MMDOC forum is full of horror stories of people going above 1k and getting stuck in a hell of losses because their deck was good enough to edge them into the bracket but too bad to do anything more.

I'm actually afraid of going over 1k ELO until I can buy the champion box tomorrow. :ohdear:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I was thinking of cashing in a bunch of my wildcards to build this pile. Thoughts?

Adar-Malik, Caller of Doom

Events (8)
4x Month of Dancing Flames
4x Week of Taxes

Creatures (37)
4x Neophyte Lich
4x Dark Assassin
4x Moonsilk Skeleton
4x Lamasu
4x Untamed Wraith
4x Skeleton Archer
4x Pao Deathseeker
4x Archlich
4x Decay Spitter
1x Atropos, Weaver of the Dead

Spells (13)
4x Fire Bolt
4x Fire Blast
4x Death Seal
1x Despair

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Replace the fire blasts with fireballs and the death seals with soulreavers. Also try to get a Forbidden Flame. I also like Silent Death because it makes people go crazy and kill their own creatures to play around it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is there a way to change the display name you use in matches? My uplay name is really ugly and has numbers in it because when I signed up years ago I was not expecting other people to see it regularly.

I haven't actually bought any cards so I suppose I could just make a new one if I can't.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Replace the fire blasts with fireballs and the death seals with soulreavers. Also try to get a Forbidden Flame. I also like Silent Death because it makes people go crazy and kill their own creatures to play around it.

I deliberately did not try and push to 4 Magic because it significantly slows down the Might curve.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Toshimo posted:

I deliberately did not try and push to 4 Magic because it significantly slows down the Might curve.

You're not going very high on the might curve and you're not playing any fortunes. Going up to 4 magic is so worth it. The only 5 you play is Atropos and he doesn't usually land at 5 resources in any case.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I was thinking of cashing in a bunch of my wildcards to build this pile. Thoughts?

Looks solid.

Issues I see:

Lamasu - Replace with the Vampire Knight for better utility with being able to regen and ignore retaliation all at the same cost. That regen goes a long way. You're basically trading in 1 extra hp and 2 ret over the Vamp. It's a taste thing, I guess.

Fireblast - Fireball all day, e'ry day. Simply superior. 2 damage is seriously low and only worth it to kill chump creatures or to finish low hps off. And if you want to kill chumps, use your decay spitters.

Death Seals - Poor mans version of Soulreaver. Not much else to say. Require a creature to attack or remove it straight-away? Hm, I wonder which is better.

Despair - Replace with Forbidden Flame.

Don't be afraid to go up to 4 magic. If you end up in long games and you will if you're not facing rushers, that 4 magic will save your rear end.

I tend to go either 3-4 might then up to 3 magic. Depending on what my opponent is doing and my current cards, I then go for 4-5 magic then 5-6 might (because banshees own and recurring them with Malik is super awesome) or vice-versa. 4-5 magic is doable and winnable. Look at it this way, most of the creature cards will be at the 4 might range. Anything beyond that like the Atropos or if you can try out the banshees(6) is the long game plan back-up. You can comfortably hover around 4 might leaving you free to ramp up magic.

Anyway, you might not have the cards I recommend you to replace with and if that's the case, stick with what you have but aim to replace them asap. The rest of the cards is solid and you can change them up depending on how you want to play but you should have great success.

Noi Albinoi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 20, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toshimo posted:

Speaking as someone who plays 6/4/1 for banshees and soulreavers/forbidden flame/shadow image/fireballs, it's not a big deal. Even "rush" Malik won't end the game before the point when you're up to 4 magic.

Granted, I also use trees and liches as walls and basically treat Paos as recursive direct damage so our decks are quite different anyway.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Hooray, Ubisoft responded to my ticket and now I get to choose my starter deck and I can finally play this game.

At least I have that daily reward saving up so I should be able to get some more stuff soon'ish.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I also like Silent Death because it makes people go crazy and kill their own creatures to play around it.

Prime magic is the best for poo poo like this, any hero with access to Prime that doesn't carry 4 Dispel Magic is literally a war criminal.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Does Stronhold have another way of dispelling magic besides the Spellsmasher creature? The hero I'm using has access to Earth, Fire, and the Air magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thylacine posted:

Does Stronhold have another way of dispelling magic besides the Spellsmasher creature? The hero I'm using has access to Earth, Fire, and the Air magic.

Nope. Dispelling is all Prime and Light. You do get some magic immune guys though. I HATE seeing blackskull crushers hit the table.

• Locked thread