Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fandyien posted:

The Jeffersons weren't really affluent though, were they? Like they moved on up to a deluxe apartment because of some serendipitous circumstances but were still poor as heck. I remember a bunch of episodes that were actually pretty honest depictions of how minorities struggle with poverty in the U.S.

I guess what I'm saying is not only is that racist it sort of AGCs itself because in much the same way the Jefferson family struggled with institutional bias Obama has to overcome entrenched racism.
Nope, George Jefferson owned a chain of laundromats. He worked his way up from nothing but still was treated like a friend of the family by white folks so he had an understandable distrust of whitey.

It's still racist but in the "all black people are alike so mentioning this black man next to another black man is HILARIOUS" kinda way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

A friend who's kind of moderate right-wing semi-libertarian but fairly chill overall posted about how he's kinda uncomfortable with the guaranteed income idea, I guess because those dirty poors don't deserve basic food and shelter or upwards mobility or anything. What follows is two of his friends who I don't know having a Facebook Argument, with Benny Ficial FYGM-ing it up.

You should friend Justin Case because he is awesome and I bet his posts are great. Actually I want to friend him too. Is that creepy?

Oh god, that's creepy :stalker:

Duke Igthorn posted:

"It's not the government's job to protect you!"
*clip art of government employees in an organization created specifically to protect its resources and citizens*

"It's not the government's job to protect you! Now shutup, go buy a firearm and stop voting for ignorant liberals!"

Liberals think that the problems of capitalism can be solved by taxing capital and throwing just enough money to labor to keep the starving masses from open revolt, but as truly class conscious fighters we must stop depending on bourgeois democracy, arm ourselves, and take what is rightfully ours! A Revolutionary JPEG.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 19, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Nope, George Jefferson owned a chain of laundromats. He worked his way up from nothing but still was treated like a friend of the family by white folks so he had an understandable distrust of whitey.

It's still racist but in the "all black people are alike so mentioning this black man next to another black man is HILARIOUS" kinda way.

Yeah I had it mixed up with Good Times, which is an incredible show.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Dyz posted:

It's like this guy doesn't understand that there's a difference between being born in the ghetto and going to P.S. 149 and being born in the suburbs and going to Isaac Newton IB high school.

He reminds me of this terrible article from a few years ago.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/12/12/if-i-was-a-poor-black-kid/

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Dyz posted:

It's like this guy doesn't understand that there's a difference between being born in the ghetto and going to P.S. 149 and being born in the suburbs and going to Isaac Newton IB high school.

What's baffling is that everybody knows you don't make those choices on your own accord. There's is not a parent on this planet that does not want their child to live in a good community, go to a good school etc. They instinctively know it matters! Basically they have a puzzle with two pieces but they just can't fit them together...

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Fandyien posted:

Yeah I had it mixed up with Good Times, which is an incredible show.

Oh ho, so I guess you think all Black shows are the same, huh?

:colbert:

Though if I remember correctly I think Good Times took place in a housing project.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
This just showed up on my feed - obvious right-wing satire, but then my friend's racism kind of startled me.

Here's the article she linked. It's got that obvious "THIS IS WHAT OBUMMER OBVIOUSLY REALLY WANTS TO DO, LOL" vibe that all conservative satire seems to have.

http://thelibertydigest.com/2013/11/17/a-fond-farewell-to-lady-liberty-may-be-on-the-horizon/

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

smilingfish posted:

This just showed up on my feed - obvious right-wing satire, but then my friend's racism kind of startled me.

Here's the article she linked. It's got that obvious "THIS IS WHAT OBUMMER OBVIOUSLY REALLY WANTS TO DO, LOL" vibe that all conservative satire seems to have.

I'm glad you called it like it is instead of going for some long debate with facts and links the OP would've never cared about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fandyien posted:

The Jeffersons weren't really affluent though, were they? Like they moved on up to a deluxe apartment because of some serendipitous circumstances but were still poor as heck. I remember a bunch of episodes that were actually pretty honest depictions of how minorities struggle with poverty in the U.S.

A little of both, they were middle class neighbors of the Bunkers until George got rear-ended by a bus, won a civil suit, and used the money to open his own dry cleaners. From there he was able to expand his business until they were legitimately wealthy. It still started because of an injury inflicted by the city. The show was pretty 'realistic' or at least honest about urban poverty and class issues.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

A little of both, they were middle class neighbors of the Bunkers until George got rear-ended by a bus, won a civil suit, and used the money to open his own dry cleaners. From there he was able to expand his business until they were legitimately wealthy. It still started because of an injury inflicted by the city. The show was pretty 'realistic' or at least honest about urban poverty and class issues.

Obviously they needed some tort reform on that show.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Amused to Death posted:

I'm glad you called it like it is instead of going for some long debate with facts and links the OP would've never cared about.

I've been helping my fiancee's son learn how to do that, too. He just wound up in a debate over whether or not the book To Train Up A Child is criminal speech, being arguably an incitement to child abuse that has been linked to three child deaths. Once his opponent started using phrases like "initiation of force is inherently illegitimate" and going on about enforcing standards via a system that both parties agree to, I told him he was talking to a lolbertarian and he'd have a better time eating his desk.

He's currently engaged in a much more constructive activity - video games.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

e: never mind

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Amused to Death posted:

She has already removed the post. I call that a victory.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Laminator posted:

7k would cover about 1 to 2 days in a hospital, just to have a room to yourself (meals are complementary!). Hopefully you're not in any state of sickness needing routine blood tests, because a CBC + electrolytes and liver enzymes (CMP) will run you $500. These tests are often run daily, sometimes multiple times a day, and are automated through a machine in the lab. If you're dehydrated they might check a magnesium level, which by itself runs $160. It costs more because a lab tech has to manually enter in just one test to run. God forbid you need an advanced blood test, because who the hell knows how much that costs.

Have a heart problem and need an echocardiogram? $3000 to have it performed and read. Chest x-ray needed for any variety of reasons? $350. If you come to the ER with any sort of head injury you're going to get a CT scan, that will run you about $2000. Further imaging with an MRI is going to be closer to $4000.

As was said above, these prices aren't easily found. I got these numbers from a doctor at my school who gathered them from various sources over the years. Even physicians working in a hospital have no clue how much stuff costs because it's purposely kept secret. Note that those costs are what the hospital charges - they never get that amount from most insurance companies - but it doesn't make them any less ridiculous. The for-profit hospital industry is insane.

Well you're close but since I process insurance claims day in and say out I should mention that it all depends on the hospital. These might be reasonably accurate rates for a cheap hospital but on average a 2 day stay is going to cost you anywhere from 5 to 35k depending on the stars, the moons, the mood of the doctor seeing you and how in bed the hospital is with the insurance providers.

Hell I've seen hospitals that happily charge 17 k for CT scans alone.

As an aside working there is the most soul-draining experience of my life. Guess I better bootstrap myself up and find a better job since I hear they're just growing on trees these days!

Person Dyslexic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 20, 2013

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I just had someone post this article with "TRUTH BE TOLD!". BUT IT'S OK GUYS CAUSE THE REPORTER'S BLACK!

http://letvent.com/2013/11/07/a-black-reporter-summarizes-barack-obama/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Scruff McGruff posted:

I just had someone post this article with "TRUTH BE TOLD!". BUT IT'S OK GUYS CAUSE THE REPORTER'S BLACK!

People of all colors can hold really lovely, disingenuous points of view. Truly racism is dead.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Why the heck does the writer's race have any bearing on the article? The important part is that the guy who wrote it, Mychal Massie, is an arch-conservative Tea Party guy, not a legitimate reporter or anything. Congratulations you found a black man stupid enough to fall for your stupid values, better run that into the ground.

Also I wish people cried racism as much as conservatives seem to think they do. There's so much racism that goes unchallenged in our society.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Why the heck does the writer's race have any bearing on the article?

If I can find an article critical of Obama by a black journalist, then he becomes "my black friend" and I can hate Obama for any racist reason I want. If that black journalist actually uses racist terms either because he actually is racist, or even if he's just classist and is therefore indifferent to the poverty of black people then that's even better because I can now be at least as racist as he is and hide behind his skin color when called out.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

If I can find an article critical of Obama by a black journalist, then he becomes "my black friend" and I can hate Obama for any racist reason I want. If that black journalist actually uses racist terms either because he actually is racist, or even if he's just classist and is therefore indifferent to the poverty of black people then that's even better because I can now be at least as racist as he is and hide behind his skin color when called out.

Obviously black people can't be racist against their own group, duh. :rolleyes:

It's just like how Ann Coulter or Phylis Schlafly aren't being horrible misogynists when they say women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wanamingo posted:

Obviously black people can't be racist against their own group, duh. :rolleyes:

It's just like how Ann Coulter or Phylis Schlafly aren't being horrible misogynists when they say women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

You gotta post the video, dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Zh3roRxY4

Dave Chappelle's Black KKK Member skit, in case posting videos without description is probatable here.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody have a copy of Fukishima effortpost? I've seen about 5 facebook posts about how we are all going to be poisoned any second now by waves of radiation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My mom eats up every right wing talking point with no skepticism whatsoever. So she tells me I have to read this thing her LIBERAL (this was stressed) friends sent her. It was the forward about Irena Sendler and how she didn't get the Peace Prize and instead it was awarded to Al Gore.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/sendler.asp

The forward has since been updated to be more critical of Gore ("he won it for one slide") and also a new paragraph where Obama won the prize in 2011 for his work at Acorn dispelling any illusion of it being non-partisan.

I got kind of pissed and told her straight that that kind of thing is bull and not to waste my time with that crap. Not only is that Acorn poo poo absurd and obviously not true, in my opinion it cheapens what Sendler did since the real message of the forward isn't that this woman did something amazing, it's that the biased Peace Prize committee is in the take for American Democrats and she is just a tool to propagate that message. I'm not a big fan of the Peace Prize anyway when Henry Kissinger gets one but that kind of two faced argument rubs me the wrong way. I felt bad since she loses all critical thinking as soon as a Democrat is mentioned for whatever triggered brainwashing she got from Fox News and AM radio but it pissed me off something fierce.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 20, 2013

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

We are spending Thanksgiving at my Tea Partier aunt's house. I don't know how I'm going to be able to eat, since doing so will require me to stop clenching my jaw and gritting my teeth first.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CarterUSM posted:

We are spending Thanksgiving at my Tea Partier aunt's house. I don't know how I'm going to be able to eat, since doing so will require me to stop clenching my jaw and gritting my teeth first.

Maybe we should start a "horrible things my reactionary family says" thread for goons to vent their holiday miseries. Might make for more peaceful dinner tables across the land?

I get to hear more "back-alley abortion deaths never happened and even if there were a few, that's what those women deserved for being sluts." :bahgawd:

VVVV
Then I'll do my part to make everyone's lives worse by posting the most racist and horrible right-wing things I hear at the table...after I excuse myself to my room to scream them into my pillow :toot:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 20, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe we should start a "horrible things my reactionary family says" thread for goons to vent their holiday miseries. Might make for more peaceful dinner tables across the land?

I get to hear more "back-alley abortion deaths never happened and even if there were a few, that's what those women deserved for being sluts." :bahgawd:

That basically is this thread. It's a catchall for 'terrible things your friends and family and friends of friends somehow communicated through email, social networks, over the phone, in person, etc.,' only we will never replace it with a more accurate thread because we want to preserve the OP for obvious reasons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think I've gotten the most bizarre defense of how a Christian can oppose welfare that I've ever seen. I won't reproduce our whole discussion, but basically he said our disagreement is idealism vs cynicism, and when I asked him if he means I'm cynic, I got:

:psyduck:

VVVVVVV
I asked him why private charity was unable to deal with the actual, widespread starvation during the Great Depression, but he never answered, so conversation over, I guess.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 20, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

So you asked him how he came to the conclusion that welfare = starvation, right?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

1stGear posted:

So you asked him how he came to the conclusion that welfare = starvation, right?
It says right there that he's thinking about the possibility of the system 'collapsing under its own weight.'

I mean, he's clearly not thinking very hard about it, since if he were he'd realize that the result of that would no different than a system of private charity that he clearly prefers, but come on.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I don't wanna watch this video and give them hits but I'm pretty sure it's bullshit

She is a Tea Partier and brings up politics all the time but if anyone corrects her WE'RE being "rude" and "divisive". How do you handle people like this? I don't want to just smile and nod, because I don't want her to think her behavior is acceptable :(

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 27, 2014

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CarterUSM posted:

Just be as condescending as possible every time she tries to talk politics to you. Raise your eyebrows and go "OooooOOOooohh!! FaaAAascinating!" 'cause really, what's the point of correcting her? At the very least just wave her away when she starts talking politics and change the subject.

For content I had a friend of a friend link to an "expose" on the "knockout game" on the Independant Review Journal.com

quote:

You won’t believe what kids are doing for fun these days. It’s a game, called Knockout, where you hit a random person in the head, with the goal of hitting them so hard that they pass out. Behold – the future of America, folks
With a pretty blatantly racist video.

I pointed out that IRJ is a very obviously biased site and that the video is pretty blatantly racist and, no offense, linking to a site one step removed from Stormfront might not be something you want to be associated with (and Jesus Christ if you can stand it sample the comments) and he FREAKED the gently caress out accusing me of calling him a Nazi so I defriended him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I don't wanna watch this video and give them hits but I'm pretty sure it's bullshit

My mother-in-law is a Tea Partier and brings up politics all the time but if anyone corrects her WE'RE being "rude" and "divisive". How do you handle people like this? I don't want to just smile and nod, because I don't want her to think her behavior is acceptable :(

Maybe you could ask her politely not to bring up politics with you?

Generally if someone brings up or posts politics and then gets upset when I respond, I just tell them that if they don't want to discuss politics then they shouldn't bring up the subject.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I think I've gotten the most bizarre defense of how a Christian can oppose welfare that I've ever seen. I won't reproduce our whole discussion, but basically he said our disagreement is idealism vs cynicism, and when I asked him if he means I'm cynic, I got:

:psyduck:

VVVVVVV
I asked him why private charity was unable to deal with the actual, widespread starvation during the Great Depression, but he never answered, so conversation over, I guess.

That guy's writing is insufferable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That guy's writing is insufferable.

Oh God, you have no idea. There's a reason I didn't make you wade through the whole conversation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The view must be pretty great from the top of Bullshit Mountain, terrible neck pain from always looking down, though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 1, 2014

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
That is a good rule.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

PUGGERNAUT posted:

My mother-in-law is a Tea Partier and brings up politics all the time but if anyone corrects her WE'RE being "rude" and "divisive". How do you handle people like this? I don't want to just smile and nod, because I don't want her to think her behavior is acceptable :(

My mom does the same.

"Mom, do you really think I'm an evil American hating Jihadist? That's not really nice."

"WELL I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT YOU, JUST ALL OF THOSE OTHER LEFTARDS"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I am not going to translate the whole exchange from Hebrew, but a Facebook friend was misreading an opinion survey among Israeli Jews about their views of various subcultures and institutions. Not only did they and their other friends, as well as the original posters, completely misread the graph to find themselves, radical leftists, as the most hated (it was actually draft-dodgers and tycoons :shh:), but they then say it's a completely useless survey. I respond by suggesting that maybe if they want to change Israeli minds, they might want to know what Israeli views are, to better tailor propaganda, activities, etc.

One person responds that they don't feel the need to be popular, and then cites Martin Luther King.

Yes, whenever I think of a radical left-wing leader who completely ignored the views of the people whose opinions he was trying to changee, MLK is the first one to come to mind. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PUGGERNAUT posted:

If she thinks you are being rude and divisive might as well go hog wild and be what they already think you are sometimes it is the only language they understand.