Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That means we're getting a HG Apsalus, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Wouldn't bet on it. Bandai tried a High Grade MA line a while back and it totally poo poo the bed. I doubt they'll try that sort of thing again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's a 1/1200 1/550 Apsalus in a set with a... I want to say a GM Sniper? It's not very good, but it's a thing.

EDIT: V Dendrobium is actually kind of popular though, and even then nobody got it because it was loving expensive.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 19, 2013

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bimmi posted:

Wouldn't bet on it. Bandai tried a High Grade MA line a while back and it totally poo poo the bed. I doubt they'll try that sort of thing again.

Wasn't that because they made them in 1/1200 scale or some crap, because it can't be that hard to do because they've done 1/144 scale HG's for Dendrobium & Psycho Gundam already(hell most Mobile Armors aren't even all that huge really)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

drrockso20 posted:

they've done 1/144 scale HG's for Dendrobium & Psycho Gundam already

Those also poo poo the bed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

It does scare me that they might be doing the mid season upgrade only eight episodes into the series.

They did it 6 episode in really, since the Build Mk II was introduced at the end of the last episode in a way that made it look like they wouldn't be going back to the Build Strike. I'm not really sure why it'd scare you though. Show seems to be pretty clear in it's intent to have Sei/Reiji go through a few suits throughout and probably change it every 5 or 10 episodes, as opposed to twice in the show. No real reason not to either, since it's both good for the merchandise and for the show itself by constantly changing up the action a bit and keeping it visually interesting. Personally I'm hoping that Sei decides to try and imitate one of the cooler aspects of a show the way that the Apsalus and Gundam X Maoh did in this episode. Maybe the Vayeate's beam shielding, V2's wings of light, some funnels or 00's quantum sword or something rather than having him stick to vanilla suits and winning through pure skill against gimmicky opponents. He can show off some gimmicks and still have Reiji win with skill after all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of which, at some point I hope they run into someone who's tried cramming every gundam gimmick onto an absolutely ridiculous-looking single suit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Speaking of which, at some point I hope they run into someone who's tried cramming every gundam gimmick onto an absolutely ridiculous-looking single suit.

They came quite close with this episode's Apsalus, which fitted just about every bullshit Zeon superweapon of the OYW onto a single machine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

They came quite close with this episode's Apsalus, which fitted just about every bullshit Zeon superweapon of the OYW onto a single machine.
It didn't have Bernie's santa balloons, the most effective Zeon weapon.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sindai posted:

There are a few video game original suits that might come close to that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If it's possible to paint something like the I-Field on and X Gundams get to keep the satellite cannon, I wonder if a Turn A Gundam would just intrinsically have access to the Moonlight Butterfly. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That's it, final battle of the series is going to be Sei's dad with a customized Turn A!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

They did it 6 episode in really, since the Build Mk II was introduced at the end of the last episode in a way that made it look like they wouldn't be going back to the Build Strike. I'm not really sure why it'd scare you though. Show seems to be pretty clear in it's intent to have Sei/Reiji go through a few suits throughout and probably change it every 5 or 10 episodes, as opposed to twice in the show. No real reason not to either, since it's both good for the merchandise and for the show itself by constantly changing up the action a bit and keeping it visually interesting. Personally I'm hoping that Sei decides to try and imitate one of the cooler aspects of a show the way that the Apsalus and Gundam X Maoh did in this episode. Maybe the Vayeate's beam shielding, V2's wings of light, some funnels or 00's quantum sword or something rather than having him stick to vanilla suits and winning through pure skill against gimmicky opponents. He can show off some gimmicks and still have Reiji win with skill after all.

Sei said he's going to repair the Build Strike. It's totally coming back at some point. So is the Mk.II. They're both the "OP" robots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

That's it, final battle of the series is going to be Sei's dad with a customized Turn A!
With him having the original Gundam as his normal machine, wouldn't his ultimate weapon be the Hi-Nu?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Watch him show up with a Build Beginning Forever 300.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A 1982 1/144 Full Armor Gundam

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Ever since the first episode I've been wondering why everyone doesn't just use the Turn A, Turn X and 00 Quanta since those are the most totally loving broken suits around unless you start really digging into side materials and weird extra poo poo.

Even ignoring movie 00 poo poo, just the A and X should be completely immortal, making GBS threads Moonlight Butterfly everywhere and make whoever is piloting them ~*~in tune with the plavsky particles~*~ or whatever excuse they're going to pull out for newtypery in this. Even accounting for Japan and their totally retarded taste in gundam television programming, the fandom should at least be able to recognize just how broken those suits are.

On a similar note, if you were to only ever use the Zeta, would it just get stronger and stronger as it kept absorbing the souls of shattered gunpla left in its wake?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
As said before, the gunpla's abilities seem to have much less to do with in-series power levels, and more with how well they were built. Presumably, a shittily-made Gundam X (as in, not made by Mao) would still have a satellite cannon, but it would just shoot the laser equivalent of a pleasant breeze. Meanwhile, the Build Strike has a beam gun that shoots a big fuckoff laser just because Sei put a lot of cool OCD details into it, which interact with plavsky particles in blah blah handwavey ways. Meanwhile, Sei's dad cleaned the house using the original Gundam, which in theory is really baseline in terms of abilities.

P.S.: :spergin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I find it both hilarious and somewhat sad that perhaps the most unrealistic aspect of the Build Fighters setting is that everyone's a good sport who uses their favorite designs instead of what's the most likely to win.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Game balance was revolutionized, leading to breakthroughs in the material sciences and physics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The actual power levels of the suits in 'canon' appear to be entirely unimportant and most of their gimmicks and power comes from the mobile suit iself.

A lot of the secondary stuff just doesn't exist. Build Strike doesn't have Phase Shift armor. The Wing Gundam (and probably Wing Zero) don't have super-strong super-light armor. It's unlikely that a GN suit would actually have the special abilities of a GN suit, or that a Zeta could Biosensor Saber, or that Turn-A could nanite swarm everything on the battlefield or that Unicorn could control enemy funnels or whatever. You certainly aren't going to get something like the Berserker System or Zero System which enhances the pilot.

It seems like what you have to do is build special gimmicks into the suit itself. Aspalas got an I-Field because of special glossing applied to the model itself, not because someone attached an I-Field to it. Sei designed a detachable backpack and so the Strike's backpack can detach and continue fighting as a core fighter. What the suits can do seems to depend on the designer instead of the canonical ability. You can use G Bits as long as you're willing to spend the time and effort to build a whole loving lot of G-Bit models.

It seems like special gimmicks like the Gundam X's Satellite Cannon needing microwaves still exist unless the gunpla builder specifically goes out of its way to design a gimmick which doesn't require that. On the other hand that's like the weird exception to the rule because everything else we've seen so far seems to lack any of the significant weaknesses of the canonical suit. Obviously you don't need a Newtype to use G-Bits (or presumably funnels), the Strike doesn't have its massive energy issues and need to recharge, and obviously G Gundam suits don't use Mobile Trace Systems. The Gundam X/DX might just be a weird exception here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 20, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When the GN-X made its cameo, it was still making GBS threads red pixie dust everywhere so jury's still out on GN suits. Though admittingly that could have just been due to Not Patrick putting an LED in it or something.

I kind of want to see Unicorn show up just to see how they handle the HG not being able to transform.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Turn X can still dismantle at will. poo poo, when you look at it through the shows lens of "making the gunpla well gives it combat benefits" most of the stuff about the Tunns could be achieved through baseline competent construction. Slap I Field glaze and all those gun things and some funnels on there and bam, you're dusting the battlefield in Moonlight Butterfly and nanites that consume continents in a heartbeat.

I know the real reason is "no one in Japan wants to see the Turn A wreck everything ever" but a man can dream :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

Turn X can still dismantle at will.

Yeah but it looks like the Zaku Amazing can as well. Suits like the Psycommu Zaku can detach their arms at will. That's not actually that great a gimmick.

It's also important to stress that the show doesn't seem to be saying "bigger guns win." Almost universally it's the more creative and more well-crafted Gunpla that wins as opposed to the thing trying to be the bigger gun. Look at the DX this episode which (on paper) should have been a complete shitwrecker. The DX with the moon out and an army of G-Bits was basically a mook of the week because he focused on quantity over quality.

It's goofy and cartoony but 'the build quality of the toy means it is stronger" is kind of the underlying concept. Things like Freedom, Justice, the DX and the Wing Gundam have all gotten their poo poo wrecked by on-paper inferior mobile suits. Even if you have a canon-perfect Turn-A or Turn-X, you'd probably get your face pushed in by a guy in a heavily modified GM. Mao even mentioned how all of Sei's wall-o-protagonist suits were masterfully built but they disappointed him because they weren't modified.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, I've thought about just how broken a Turn A with a Moonlight Butterfly would be. Also, the Gundams in Gundam Wing were drat near invincible and destroyed Leos constantly with zero effort at all. And Sei's dad won the tournament with an RX-78 which was quickly outdated and inferior to a lot of Gundams developed later. So as much as "canonical power levels" enter into my mind, I don't think they matter in this show.

I mean, if they did, if nothing else, mobile suits from later series like Unicorn and CCA would absolutely crush all the suits from the OYW, and Gundams from Wing and the Turn A\X would be broken as poo poo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

With him having the original Gundam as his normal machine, wouldn't his ultimate weapon be the Hi-Nu?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The DX with the moon out and an army of G-Bits was basically a mook of the week because he focused on quantity over quality.

Didn't help he just stood there and gaped at the mkII taking down his G-Bits instead of getting the Satellite Cannon ready like his partner was telling him to. :v:

I kind of wonder how he got good enough to be well-known in Sei's area if he apparently just spammed G-Bits all the time. Though then again, Sazaki made a name for himself too and he's not exactly king shitwrecker either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I kind of wonder how he got good enough to be well-known in Sei's area if he apparently just spammed G-Bits all the time. Though then again, Sazaki made a name for himself too and he's not exactly king shitwrecker either.

Well, it's worth remembering Reiji is king hot poo poo of the mountain. He started piloted recently and is already capable of fighting the super-elite guy to an effectively standstill and basically wrecking everything else. "Spam G-Bits" probably works just fine when your opponent isn't a protagonist.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Until I see God Gundam or Master Gundam being used WITHOUT the mobile trace system, I will believe that there are guys who still have to manually do everything their mobile suits can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

Until I see God Gundam or Master Gundam being used WITHOUT the mobile trace system, I will believe that there are guys who still have to manually do everything their mobile suits can.
I want to see a two-man team where one guy is using a custom Master Gundam and the other guy gets to be Fuuinsaiki.

EDIT: Actually, doesn't the Master Gundam high grade come with Fuuinsaiki? Would they be able to enter those two as one unit?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 20, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
No, he has to bring his own, real horse to pilot it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Actually, doesn't the Master Gundam high grade come with Fuuinsaiki? Would they be able to enter those two as one unit?

HG Fuuinsaiki is a glorified display base, so if somebody actually did try to use one it'd be like trying to weaponize a merry-go-round.

Which would be amazing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

BlitzBlast posted:

HG Fuuinsaiki is a glorified display base, so if somebody actually did try to use one it'd be like trying to weaponize a merry-go-round.

Which would be amazing.

You just need someone crazy enough to work in all the details.

And then Real Men Ride Each Other shall commence.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fittingly enough, today's Gunpla World Expo had physical spoilers for future Build Fighters episodes.

The announced HG GM Sniper K9 confirms Mihoshi's coming back, and there's a new "Star Build Strike Gundam Plavsky Wing" so looks like the midseason upgrade is going to be Gundam X "give it a slight retool" style.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really do hope *~Kiraran~* is coming back, if only because I was bothered by how they treated her in her own episode. Like yeah, straight up sabotage is bad, but getting somebody else to build your gunpla for you can't be considered bad, if other characters and Reiji are doing the exact same dang thing! Also, even if she didn't like it / it was just because she's really devoted to her dream and job, memorizing the names of all the robots and marathoning every single gundam ova and tv show (good and bad!) takes some serious rear end dedication and is also something I could never do. Can't call nobody a ~Fake Gunpla Girl~ for doing that. :colbert:

BlitzBlast spoilers:Is there something else that was announced that confirms that beyond the 0080 / GM connection? Although I guess if she was coming back she would definitely make sure to give herself a custom transforming backpack with a secret gimmick this time around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Reiji said he liked her for pursuing her dream no matter what.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC1owUxslXQ

I... can't even pick out a particular element from this one. The whole thing was amazing and beautiful and I loved it from start to finish.

How is this show so good?

Mchangin
Feb 18, 2010
Tell me about it; I really love this show and wanted to share the love with some of my friends, but none of them were biting because they either don't watch shounen anime or are skeptical that a show with Gundam pasted in its name is actually any good. :negative:

The fight at the start alone had me sold for the entire episode, though at this point I can even forgive a couple or three bad episodes in this show's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Opening the show with a G-Saviour destroyed in a single slash. :mmmhmm:

• Locked thread