Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

ZentraediElite posted:

I'd like to set one up as a dashboard type of display in my kitchen or dining room. I found a project where a guy was pulling a 5-day forecast image off his local news website and displaying it. What kind of effort would that take?

That kind of depends on how you intend to display the image. The easiest way would be to just use a web browser.

At work, we set up a prehistoric workstation with a copy of Xubuntu that was configured to start a full-screen copy of Firefox on boot, with the homepage set to an internal statistics site that automatically refreshes every few minutes. X and web browsers on the Pi are very, very slow, but totally doable, and I'm sure the same technique could apply there. (e: oh, look, I got sniped and that's exactly what has been recommended)

Alternatively you could skip X and all of that and try writing graphics directly to the screen, but you're more likely to have success with the lazy route.

quote:

What are the options for inexpensive, small displays that you could hook up to this device?

You'll need to define "inexpensive" and "small." You can hypothetically hook up any monitor that has an HDMI or DVI-D port, like this $100 19". Combine that with a VESA mount case for the Pi and it becomes pretty self-enclosed. There are also VESA wall mounts, if you want it off the counter / table.

quote:

I've also thought about possibly hooking it up to some actual weather sensors, or maybe even a webcam, for something similar to reporting to Weather Underground. Does anybody have any experience with something like this?

I've kind of wanted to do something similar. Weather Underground has a page documenting the process of reporting weather data to them. They list a handful of Linux packages that they know about, as well as various hardware.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to look into this a little more. Maybe I can get away with doing this at work as a proof of concept before investing any of my own money into it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
At $100 for the screen, that's about the cost where you might as well get a 1st gen Nexus 7 or whatnot and just use that for your terminal. At cheaper price points, one option that came up a lot for me was a car backup camera monitor - costs $20-$30 for a small screen (3 to 7 inches), 360 or 480 pixels across, with a composite connector. Nothing fancy, but sufficient for a small display terminal.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

At $100 for the screen, that's about the cost where you might as well get a 1st gen Nexus 7 or whatnot and just use that for your terminal. At cheaper price points, one option that came up a lot for me was a car backup camera monitor - costs $20-$30 for a small screen (3 to 7 inches), 360 or 480 pixels across, with a composite connector. Nothing fancy, but sufficient for a small display terminal.

How do you go about connecting a Pi with a Nexus?

The backup camera monitor sounds more like what i'd be interested in, based on the size.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No, I mean just using the Nexus. Stick widgets on a home screen, or root it and upload a teeny app that just displays a webpage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Oh you mean slap them both on the same network and talk over that.

Psh, the nexus has OTG support. Up for writing an Android kernel driver?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I guess, if you wanted to shoehorn the Pi in, but what I'm saying is that the "home dashboard" idea doesn't need more than one device, and a Nexus does all needed and then some in a nice, premade package.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I was assuming the pi was handling communication to the external weather sensor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If you made a weatherstation, yeah, that's what you'd do, but the project was talking about yanking weather info from a website or via API.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JawnV6 posted:

I was assuming the pi was handling communication to the external weather sensor?

I doubt that would be cost effective compared to simply paying a few bucks more to upgrade to an outside weather sensor with its own wireless/wired networking support. That seems to be becoming a standard feature.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697708033/hdmipi-affordable-9-high-def-screen-for-the-raspbe
I'm sure this has been posted in the thread, but here's a cool upcoming display solution.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
65 pounds is still pretty expensive for something marketed as a low-cost computer.

There's stuff like this: http://hipstercircuits.com/finally-a-working-4-3-hdmi-compatible-lcd/

It uses a $20 screen you can get off eBay and maybe $10 worth in parts (but if they were to sell it, it would probably be closer to $20).

I recently bought a $6 Nokia cellphone replacement screen, and I should be able to get it working with the GPIO.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
There are other screens that work, but the kickstarter one is larger than 720p (1280x800), compared to all the others which are 480.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I just ordered a Pi all the periphials I think I need. I am planning to dual boot some kind of media center and retropi. That should be possible, right? Is xmbc also a good solution for streaming music?

Getting excited about this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The easiest way to dualboot it is probably to make one SD card per OS.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Computer viking posted:

The easiest way to dualboot it is probably to make one SD card per OS.

Or look into BerryBoot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

eightysixed posted:

Or look into BerryBoot.

BerryBoot is nice and easy to set up dual booting, but I felt that the performance it game me with XBMC was pretty subpar compared to openelec by itself. Granted, it may have been a version thing, as every time I update my openelc now, it runs a little smoother.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I did not even consider switching the SD cards, but it makes sense. I guess the 16GB card I ordered is overkill then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ante posted:

65 pounds is still pretty expensive for something marketed as a low-cost computer.

When the average computer bought costs $400? Really?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Install Windows posted:

When the average computer bought costs $400? Really?

Who said anything about an average computer? The entire ethos of the Pi was, "hey, it would be great if we could send a whole bunch of computers to developing nations and kids under the poverty line. Let's try reeeeaaally hard and get the price down to $35 (crazy cheap)."

It's pretty obvious that the creators of that display's kickstarter have no such intention. I'm saying that even without economies of scale, it's very possible to get a display for less than the price of a Raspberry Pi.

The displays I pointed out have lower resolution yeah, that one is a fair point, but I don't know how important that is. Most people probably aren't using that screen to watch movies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ante posted:

Who said anything about an average computer? The entire ethos of the Pi was, "hey, it would be great if we could send a whole bunch of computers to developing nations and kids under the poverty line. Let's try reeeeaaally hard and get the price down to $35 (crazy cheap)."

It's pretty obvious that the creators of that display's kickstarter have no such intention. I'm saying that even without economies of scale, it's very possible to get a display for less than the price of a Raspberry Pi.

The displays I pointed out have lower resolution yeah, that one is a fair point, but I don't know how important that is. Most people probably aren't using that screen to watch movies.

65 pounds for a decent high res small display is actually cheap as heck though. Sure you can get a total crap display for under $35 but that's not the point.

Plus don't bullshit here. Everyone knows the real point of the Pi was for people relatively well off compared to people in developing countries to have a gently caress around computer that they could use with spare displays and input devices they already have. People actually in developing countries with no computer already would need to buy a decent number of other things in order to actually use a RasPi, same goes for kids under the poverty line.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ante posted:

The idea in my mind is for stuff like DIY car TV like you would see in a minivan. Not to mention it's not just for the RaspPi. When a successor unit comes out it should work just as well since it runs on HDMI.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

Plus don't bullshit here. Everyone knows the real point of the Pi was for people relatively well off compared to people in developing countries to have a gently caress around computer that they could use with spare displays and input devices they already have. People actually in developing countries with no computer already would need to buy a decent number of other things in order to actually use a RasPi, same goes for kids under the poverty line.

Uh I've actually seen pictures of African libraries running their computer labs consisting of entirely Raspberry Pi. It works exactly how they intended to in that regard. As for it being the saving grace of the current generation's capability to write code that remains to be seen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

Uh I've actually seen pictures of African libraries running their computer labs consisting of entirely Raspberry Pi. It works exactly how they intended to in that regard. As for it being the saving grace of the current generation's capability to write code that remains to be seen.

That's nice for them, but that means they had to scrounge up a whole bunch of extra hardware to make it work.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm planning a project that might be a little ambitious.

I want to have a Raspberry Pi(the basestation) hooked up to a LAN-only wireless router. Elsewhere in my house (probably multiple spots, actually), I'll have a Pi(the node) hooked up to wifi adapter and a 3" touchscreen LCD (both digitizer and LCD from a Nintendo DS - you can get these together for ~$10).
On that screen, you will be able to navigate the filesystem of the basestation, and select a media file, which will then start playing through the speakers/media centre/whatever is connected to the node.

Ideally, the node's interface displays the song's album art, and you can skip the track by swiping, that kind of thing.

So of these goals, is there anything I need to know? And pitfalls or open-source projects that will make life easier?

I haven't been able to find any evidence of people getting the DS LCD to work with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm prepared to design my own converter board. Hopefully I've just missed it, though. People have gotten the touchscreen to work with both Arduino and Windows.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ante posted:

I want to have a Raspberry Pi(the basestation) hooked up to a LAN-only wireless router. Elsewhere in my house (probably multiple spots, actually), I'll have a Pi(the node) hooked up to wifi adapter and a 3" touchscreen LCD (both digitizer and LCD from a Nintendo DS - you can get these together for ~$10).
On that screen, you will be able to navigate the filesystem of the basestation, and select a media file, which will then start playing through the speakers/media centre/whatever is connected to the node.

Ideally, the node's interface displays the song's album art, and you can skip the track by swiping, that kind of thing.

So of these goals, is there anything I need to know? And pitfalls or open-source projects that will make life easier?

I haven't been able to find any evidence of people getting the DS LCD to work with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm prepared to design my own converter board. Hopefully I've just missed it, though. People have gotten the touchscreen to work with both Arduino and Windows.

This might help, someone has written Linux framebuffer drivers for some small LCDs: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2013/11/22/raspberry_pi-piday-raspberrypi-46/

I don't think they cover the DS LCD, but the code is probably a good start for looking at how to make a framebuffer driver.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ante posted:

Ardiuno is helpful. You're basically looking at fbdev+mplayer+mpd (either/or works, but mpd for playing/playlists/whatever and mplayer for art/graphics/fbdev support would be easiest) and writing a small plugin which says "MOUSEDOWN+left x pixels" -> next. It'll be ambitious for sure

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have a Logitech C110 webcam attached to my Pi and I'm trying to use it as an input source for microphone for my JARVIS project I've talked about in this thread before. The problem now seems to be that the gain on the mic is too high so Sox never detects silence to stop recording. When I go into Alsamixer and select the webcam it tells me there are no controls available for the volume. Is there any way to adjust the levels on the mic outside of alsamixer?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can you adjust the silence threshold in sox?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I probably can, which number is it? I've tried fiddling with the settings in my script but didn't have much luck

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

mod sassinator posted:

This might help, someone has written Linux framebuffer drivers for some small LCDs: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2013/11/22/raspberry_pi-piday-raspberrypi-46/

I don't think they cover the DS LCD, but the code is probably a good start for looking at how to make a framebuffer driver.

evol262 posted:

Ardiuno is helpful. You're basically looking at fbdev+mplayer+mpd (either/or works, but mpd for playing/playlists/whatever and mplayer for art/graphics/fbdev support would be easiest) and writing a small plugin which says "MOUSEDOWN+left x pixels" -> next. It'll be ambitious for sure

Thanks guys, I think both of these provide literally everything I need (along with the NDSi LCD datasheet I found)

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm thinking about playing with making visualizations of some sort on Raspberry Pi, similar to what's in Processing, but I'm worried that it might be a bit too CPU-heavy and taxing on the Raspberry Pi's limited resources. I was thinking I could set up an ambient visualization in my room on the Raspberry Pi with a TV I don't use that much. And when I search for support for Processing on Pi, I mostly just find posts from a few people who just got it to work after getting Java to work. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Any suggestions?

Given everything I wanted, I'd like it to:
  • Run smoothly on Raspberry Pi even with a good number of elements on screen.
  • Work well with pulling data from online APIs.
  • Be able to start it via SSH but see the output on a monitor connected via HDMI. In my current setup, I don't keep a keyboard attached to the Pi.
  • Support for GPIO pin input/output.
  • Support communication with an arduino via USB.

I wouldn't implement these all at once in one project, although I'd like to have all that at my disposal, and reading over it, it sounds like what I really want would be a visual framework/library built on top of a well-supported language. I'd rather not use C/C++, but if they're absolutely the best compared to another option, they're not a dealbreaker. I admit I am a weak person for not embracing pointers so enthusiastically.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out shaders--they're code that runs on the GPU to paint triangles. The GPU on the pi is surprisingly good and supports OpenGL ES 2.0. The more work you can do in a shader, the faster things will run and more data you can process. It's not going to be a super easy road though, especially if you're also learning 3D graphics. This free tutorial/book is by far the best free resource for learning modern OpenGL and GLSL (the shader language): http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

Be careful if you look at other tutorials since they are probably out dated and cover the old non-programmable fixed function OpenGL pipeline--if you see code that calls glBegin() and glEnd() look elsewhere, that's the non-programmable pipeline. Unfortunately there's a lot of bad/outdated OpenGL tutorials out there, and not much beginner friendly documentation. Coding in C/C++ will likely be your best option, although maybe there are python or java bindings for OpenGL. You might look into Processing to see if it supports writing shaders, since that would take away a ton of the drudgery of building all the infrastructure code to get up and running with OpenGL & shaders.

If there's nothing for shaders in Processing, check out OpenFrameworks: http://www.openframeworks.cc I've used the Raspberry Pi port to do some 3D stuff and found it's a great framework that implements a lot of infrastructure you'll need like vector/matrix math, asset loading, etc. The docs are a little rough for it, but check out the examples it ships with to get started. Getting it to run on the pi is a little involved, but not super difficult--follow these steps: http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/ If you're curious, this is something I've done with the OpenFrameworks and OpenGL on the pi: http://learn.adafruit.com/creepy-face-tracking-portrait/

Finally one thing that won't be super obvious, but the Pi only supports OpenGL ES and not the 'real' OpenGL that runs on PCs. Nowadays there isn't much difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES, but there are some small differences in the shader code. Check out the OpenFrameworks Raspberry Pi examples to see some code. The OpenGL ES 2.0 spec is unfortunately the best resource I could find on it (but it assumes prior knowledge of OpenGL): http://www.khronos.org/opengles/2_X/

Good luck--it might be a little painful but once you get something basic like a spinning cube going, you can start playing with the shader code and worry less about the actual program code. In fact you might skip running stuff on the pi at first and mess with shaders in a shader development tool first, then look at porting it over to the pi (but again be careful since the shader language between normal OpenGL and OpenGL ES has some differences). Check out a tool like this: http://www.opengl.org/sdk/tools/ShaderDesigner/

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 1, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I found this OpenGL ES tutorial super useful and really readable:
http://db-in.com/blog/2011/01/all-about-opengl-es-2-x-part-13/

He does a great job explaining the overall concepts and using analogies to help you understand how the state machine is working. There's some quirky English here and there but it just makes it more fun - it's a solid tutorial

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Are there any pi-like low cost boards out there now with a bit more CPU/RAM suitable for GUI desktop stuff. Beaglebone black? Anything else? Looking for a nice little embedded box for a simple public web browser terminal. Seems the pi really struggles on this sort of thing.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 13, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Beaglebone black is more powerful, but its HDMI output is very limited on resolutions. It does, IIRC, 1280x720 very well, but any display with more pixels has to handle scaling by itself.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're really using it a lot as an everyday desktop, I would step up to a real x86 machine like the Intel NUC. Cost is a lot higher (~250 once you get memory, disk, etc.) but it will be much more usable.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Someone just launched a Kickstarter page for an FPGA module for the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/logi-fpga-development-board-for-raspberry-pi-beagl/comments

Let's hope someone starts working on some motion control code and Linux CNC drivers soon - this could be a major step forward for hobbyist 3D printing and CNC machines.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

peepsalot posted:

Are there any pi-like low cost boards out there now with a bit more CPU/RAM suitable for GUI desktop stuff. Beaglebone black? Anything else? Looking for a nice little embedded box for a simple public web browser terminal. Seems the pi really struggles on this sort of thing.

I would recommend a Cubieboard 2, I think it is the best choice for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cockmaster posted:

Let's hope someone starts working on some motion control code and Linux CNC drivers soon - this could be a major step forward for hobbyist 3D printing and CNC machines.

I'm not an expert in the area by any means, but what's wrong with TinyG?

I don't see what magic an FPGA brings you.