Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

I don't wear a helmet but god drat is this a terrible statement. You can go to the bicycle commuting thread in YLLS and see more than a few "Thank god for my helmet" posts. In fact, one was today.

It's people from noted terrible country ~the Netherlands~, you know, the one with the highest modal share of bike use, claiming that helmets are pure shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't worry, we're trying to take that title back...

Also I love the idea that a new strip mall is only going to take a curb cut. What about all the storm water now going into the storm water system because it can't be absorbed by field we just paved over? And that road that we're putting a curb cut into probably isn't needed, or wouldn't need to be as big as it is were we not building such a sprawling environment. And now that the strip mall is there, we're gonna need to add more lanes or stop lights because of increased traffic. And in the guise of economic development, we've given the builders tax credits. And now we've created hundreds of new jobs. Except they're jobs that don't pay a living wage. And the people working these jobs can't afford cars, so now we're running a bus out to this pointless strip mall, and it's not cheap to service a spot like this.

So yeah, it ain't no thing.

My experience is that when strip malls get tossed up somewhere, it takes a good decade to add any other infrastructure that its new demand load actually eventually needs. Often the strip mall in question ends up dead before the unincorporated county land or small town it was built in for low property tax rates brings up the effort to do such things.

Some times they actually add a break in the double yellows to formally allow turns into it from the other travel direction!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Koesj posted:

It's people from noted terrible country ~the Netherlands~, you know, the one with the highest modal share of bike use, claiming that helmets are pure shite.

In Holland maybe they are poo poo, in the US/Canada, you should really wear a helmet. Not even just because of having to meander through traffic with little to no bike infrastructure, that isn't particularly fond on cyclists, but even for the weather. In Amsterdam, the average low is 33 degrees, 31 over in Groningen, here it's 22, and we're on the coastline in southern New England, the continental states can get much colder. You have substantially more chance of eating poo poo on ice in a lot of the country compared to Holland,(or secondary cycling utopia Denmark) and honestly in winter ice is a far greater danger than cars.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Cross-country ski to work then!

But seriously yeah with a shitload of ice on the road I'd rather wear a helmet as well.

VVV while this is probably not the thread for it, there's more to it than you might think?

PS you don't get to end the discussion :)

Koesj fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 20, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Encouraging people to not wear bike helmets is foolish and irresponsible, enough said.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Koesj posted:

Cross-country ski to work then!

But seriously yeah with a shitload of ice on the road I'd rather wear a helmet as well.

VVV while this is probably not the thread for it, there's more to it than you might think?

PS you don't get to end the discussion :)

I really do think he has a point. As the authors of the study you linked said:

quote:

Thus even if the analysis suggests there is no net societal health bene t to a
mandatory bicycle helmet law, this does not argue that an individual is not bene ted by wearing a helmet. To emphasize, this article deals with whether
a mandatory bicycle helmet law is good public policy, not whether it is advantageous for an individual to wear a helmet.

I'm sorry if I brought up a touchy subject, but I was honestly interested in London policy on bike helmets. Which I could have googled, instead, I guess.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I feel like de Jong ducks the question there since he clearly chooses to only engage the subject on a macro level.

Plus I can think of at least one situation where I wouldn't recommend wearing a helmet: when it would lead to social stigmatization.
:goonsay:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm sorry if I brought up a touchy subject

But you didn't?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

smackfu posted:

Roads aren't safer, cars are. Imagine if we had safety standards for bikes.
If bicycles had crumple zones, seat belts and airbags, we'd see a huge reduction in fatalities. Might need a 3rd or 4th wheel to keep it all stable, and maybe a motor to help, because all that safety stuff weighs a lot. Shame nobody makes something loke thay- think of all the lives that could be saved!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Snell has some great information on why bicycle helmets are different than motorcycle helmets. Its not to save money, it's because bicycle accidents that result in head injuries tend to happen in completely different ways than motorcycle head injuries, and thus drive a different design philosophy. Wear your loving bike helmet! http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Install Windows posted:

My experience is that when strip malls get tossed up somewhere, it takes a good decade to add any other infrastructure that its new demand load actually eventually needs. Often the strip mall in question ends up dead before the unincorporated county land or small town it was built in for low property tax rates brings up the effort to do such things.

Some times they actually add a break in the double yellows to formally allow turns into it from the other travel direction!

Exactly right. Often they are picking the site that doesn't require them to do required infrastructure upgrades to save money (and time.) Although it doesn't help when the locality wants the developer to upgrade the road way more than the town ever would either.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hahaha oh man, they're seriously advocating bike helmets! I think we Dutch people should just roll our eyes and stay out of the discussion because this never goes anywhere.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bike helmets are a bandaid solution for countries with inferior cycling infrastructure.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Gonna need more than a bandaid (or a helmet) when you get crushed by a truck because you were in its blind spot.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone's saying a bike helmet will save you if you get run over by a truck, but sure.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Wear a helmet because if you biff on your own accord even on a separate bike path you should still protect your brain.

I cycle to work during the spring and summers (though this is going to change soon) and I have to deal with some high-traffic areas, and while I'd love to have dedicated bike lanes to work, the reality is that it's not going to happen any time soon. It would be foolish of me to not have lights and a helmet. Yeah, it won't save me be from being run over by a truck, but I can survive with a broken arm, but not a broken head.

I'm not sure if I'd make a law for adults to wear helmets, but from a personal safety standpoint, I won't ride my bike without one.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 20, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I don't think anyone's saying a bike helmet will save you if you get run over by a truck, but sure.

Yeah being hit by a truck is the least of my worries on a bike, my usual main concerns are:

1. Being doored
2. Eating poo poo on ice(in the cold months)
3. Random large objects/potholes that might make me lose control

Hey Cichlidae, are you privy to any information on what's up with the State St bridge repair in New Haven? It was supposed to be done by 2011/2012, but I heard this morning the end date was pushed back again till 2015.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 20, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a story from today about it:
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/bridge_repair_money_pit_deeper_than_expected/

There's a lot of detail of all the various issues they ran into, after the part at the start where locals are complaining. My summary is that replacing a bridge underneath a highway overpass is a pain in the neck. And that any project that runs into contaminated groundwater is doomed to years of delays.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I worked with a guy who went on a bike ride on an off-road asphalt path after it had rained. His wife went looking for him when he didn't come back - and found him unconscious, having fallen from his bike, not wearing a helmet. He had brain damage, and a year after the accident was able to walk again, and a couple years after he was able to drive short trips in the car. But he will never be able to work as an engineer again.

I went through college not wearing a helmet, but after seeing how it can ruin your life, I sure as hell do now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Koesj posted:

there's more to it than you might think? PS you don't get to end the discussion :)

Entropist posted:

Hahaha oh man, they're seriously advocating bike helmets! I think we Dutch people should just roll our eyes and stay out of the discussion because this never goes anywhere.

Jeoh posted:

Bike helmets are a bandaid solution for countries with inferior cycling infrastructure.

As you can see, the Dutch have a cultural stigma against wearing bike helmets, largely because their bike culture developed without access to them. As a result, adoption rates in the Netherlands are extremely low - even during relatively dangerous recreational biking activities such as mountain biking. Statistical studies routinely support the fact that bike helmets are effective at preventing injury (particularly difficult to treat brain injuries), including this one by the Netherland's own Institute for Road Safety Research (SWOV):

SWOV posted:

One third of the cyclists who are admitted to hospital with serious injury after a road crash are diagnosed with head or brain injury. Approximately three-quarters of the head and brain injuries among cyclists are caused by crashes that do not involve motorized traffic; as many as nine out of ten young children who sustain head/brain injury, do so in crashes not involving motor vehicles. These are mostly cyclist-only crashes. This type of crash is difficult to prevent, but it is possible to limit the severity of the head and brain injury by wearing a bicycle helmet. According to the most recent estimate (Elvik, 2011), the risk of sustaining head injury is 1.72 times higher for cyclists who do not wear a bicycle helmet than for the cyclists who do, with a 95% confidence interval of 1.33-3.45. For brain injury, the risk seems to be 2.13 times higher (with a confidence interval of 1.33-3.45). If all investigated head and neck injuries are considered together, the risk increase appears to be smaller but still present (factor of 1.18, 95% confidence interval: 1.02-1.35). Research in other countries has shown that the bicycle use sometimes decreases, particularly during the first few years after the introduction of mandatory helmet use. The longer-term effects or the significance of these results with regard to the situation in the Netherlands are not known. ... Annually, 190 people die in the Netherlands and more than 9,200 sustain serious injury in a bicycle crash.

https://www.swov.nl/rapport/factsheets/uk/fs_bicycle_helmets.pdf

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 21, 2013

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
This might have come up in this very thread before, but mandatory helmet laws in Australia destroyed the local bike commuting communities:

http://ipa.org.au/publications/2019/australia's-helmet-law-disaster

quote:

Importantly, helmet laws severely reduce the number of cyclists on the road, leading to increased risk among those who remain through reduced safety in numbers, a researched and acknowledged influence on cyclist accident and injury rates.

Unsurprisingly, compulsory helmets have also discouraged cycling.

When the laws were introduced in the early 1990s, cycling trips declined by 30-40 per cent overall, and up to 80 per cent in some demographic groups, such as secondary school-aged females.

Today mandatory helmets are still a major factor deterring people from riding. A recent survey from University of Sydney Professor Chris Rissel found 23 per cent of Sydney adults would ride more if helmets were optional-a significant proportion given that only about 15-20 per cent of people ride regularly at present-and that amending helmet laws to allow adult cyclists free choice would lead to an approximate doubling of cycling numbers in Sydney.

MHLs are the main reason for the failure of Australia's two public bike hire schemes. Brisbane and Melbourne are the only two cities in the world with helmet laws to have attempted public bike hire. While schemes in places like Paris, London, Montreal, Dublin and Washington DC have flourished, Brisbane and Melbourne have amongst the lowest usage rates in the world.

To facilitate increased cycling participation, the City of Sydney has recommended that current bike helmet legislation should be reviewed.

Requiring helmets might be safer, but most people just choose to stop instead. I can't find it off hand right now, but I want to say that after the law passed head injuries did drop but other injuries went up as a decreased ridership meant drivers were less expectant and prepared for bikers.

Opals25 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 20, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Entropist posted:

Gonna need more than a bandaid (or a helmet) when you get crushed by a truck because you were in its blind spot.

About those blind spots, from Transport for London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzL0Kyk4m-8

:aaaaa:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I can definitely see how a helmet law might destroy a public bike hire scheme.

Do you know what the Australian helmet usage ratio was prior to the law?
I imagine that the reaction to such a law would be very different in a society of 10% helmet usage, compared to one with 40 or 60% usage (where people are presumably positively disposed to helmets in general).

Edit: That blind spot video is scary!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 20, 2013

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Here's another source.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8870773

quote:

saw increased helmet wearing from 31% to 75% of cyclists in Victoria and from 31% of children and 26% of adults in New South Wales (NSW) to 76% and 85%. However, the two major surveys using matched before and after samples in Melbourne (Finch et al. 1993; Report No. 45, Monash Univ. Accident Research Centre) and throughout NSW (Smith and Milthorpe 1993; Roads and Traffic Authority) observed reductions in numbers of child cyclists 15 and 2.2 times greater than the increase in numbers of children wearing helmets.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

I don't wear a helmet but god drat is this a terrible statement. You can go to the bicycle commuting thread in YLLS and see more than a few "Thank god for my helmet" posts. In fact, one was today.

People don't know what the result would be if they didn't wear a helmet, i've read that thread and their attitude to helmet use is one of the reasons i stopped reading it (along with their over the top bicycles and gotta have all the gear attitude).
Don't assume that just because you fell and hit your head it would have been a fatal or even a serious injury. I've fallen and hit my head once in 25 years of cycling, the effect was less than hitting my head on a low ceiling (which hurts a lot more).
People fall on the sidewalk and the shower as well but few people wear a helmet when they go for a walk.

Wearing a helmet reduces the already small chance of head injury and i respect your right to be as safe as you want to be but don't make it out to be like a helmet absolutely required and cycling is extremely dangerous without a helmet.
And a motorcycle helmet with a full motorcycle suit (spine protector, pads, all that good stuff) would be even safer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Opals25 posted:

This might have come up in this very thread before, but mandatory helmet laws in Australia destroyed the local bike commuting communities:

http://ipa.org.au/publications/2019/australia's-helmet-law-disaster

Requiring helmets might be safer, but most people just choose to stop instead. I can't find it off hand right now, but I want to say that after the law passed head injuries did drop but other injuries went up as a decreased ridership meant drivers were less expectant and prepared for bikers.

That's pretty funny that people are so pigheaded that they'd refuse to wear a helmet. It's not like people refuse to drive when seat belts are mandatory.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Install Windows posted:

That's pretty funny that people are so pigheaded that they'd refuse to wear a helmet. It's not like people refuse to drive when seat belts are mandatory.

That's probably because there is often no alternative to driving. Also because you don't need to lug your seatbelt around with you when you get to your destination.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Eh, helmetchat. I found this article describing a local journalist interviewing international cycle planning experts at a conference in Vancouver. He keeps trying to push them on helmets, and they keep pointing out that helmet laws are bad for cycling and a waste of energy which cycling advocates could be putting into more important issues like building safe infrastructure.

Other than the two points that adult helmet laws are actively and measurably harmful to cycling safety, but that you as an individual may want to wear one depending on how you ride and where, helmetchat is invariably a huge waste of energy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Especially for the traffic engineer thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NihilismNow posted:

People don't know what the result would be if they didn't wear a helmet, i've read that thread and their attitude to helmet use is one of the reasons i stopped reading it (along with their over the top bicycles and gotta have all the gear attitude).

I do know that I would probably still have the missing jaw muscle bundle on one side of my head if I was wearing a helmet when I ate poo poo commuting to class a decade ago. Fortunately it's just cosmetic (there's a dent in my head near my ear that you can feel on that side) and I was lucky to not have greater injury.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 21, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQdwlNkirKg
Cool video on dutch cycle intersection with people/pigeons not following the rules to the letter circled. It all works quite nicely though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA
This video shows how the dutch build intersections vs north america. The dutch design seems a lot better/safer. Why haven't we adapted?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 22, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Man, this week has been RIDICULOUSLY busy. Just imagine this, times dozens:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQzqtNM0WuFV2xpamtGNmtRb1E/edit?usp=sharing (PDF)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

This video shows how the dutch build intersections vs north america. The dutch design seems a lot better/safer. Why haven't we adapted?

I don't think I've actually seen those protective things in the corners in practice, though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I see.them around in Amsterdam quite a lot, here's one: http://goo.gl/maps/wIfqE

I think they recently reworked that one to make the protected bits bigger.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

That looks brilliant. The only problem I can see with it is how you get heavy vehicles around the corners. By tightening the intersection, you make things a lot tougher for them, especially with left turns.

Regardless, I'll share it at work. I'm sure the bike guys will be intrigued.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

That looks brilliant. The only problem I can see with it is how you get heavy vehicles around the corners. By tightening the intersection, you make things a lot tougher for them, especially with left turns.

Regardless, I'll share it at work. I'm sure the bike guys will be intrigued.

Usually, the intersections are still wide enough. Really really long vehicles sometimes go over the curb with one of their wheels, but that shouldn't normally be necessary.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don't know if this was posted before (it's an old blog post), but it's hilarious so here it comes anyway. A list of some of Britain's stupidest cycle lanes (and a couple of international examples, at least one of which looks like grafitti).

http://www.anorak.co.uk/375360/sports/britains-worst-cycle-lanes-photos-of-that-olympics-legacy-in-action.html/

My favorite is the bike lane running straight into a bus shelter.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know if this was posted before (it's an old blog post), but it's hilarious so here it comes anyway. A list of some of Britain's stupidest cycle lanes (and a couple of international examples, at least one of which looks like grafitti).

http://www.anorak.co.uk/375360/sports/britains-worst-cycle-lanes-photos-of-that-olympics-legacy-in-action.html/

I will never complain about the design of bike lanes around here again. :shepicide:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who the hell built those??? Actual humans designed and implemented those "lanes" ?? They aren't just procedural content generation errors of some sort?
Although that dutch example is just humorous graffiti. Maybe that's it, this is all just graffiti to mock the general incompetence of English traffic engineering.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'd be tempted to park an exercise bike in one of those 5m bike lanes. Traffic engineers make mistakes, just like everyone else, but you have to be truly brainless to produce that kind of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I have the feeling that this is "insert square peg into round hole" politics, where bicycle lanes are now mandated for some reason, but there's no place to put them, so this will have to make do. I doubt an engineer had a hand in this, unless it was one particular finger responding to the request.