Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I saw 65daysofstatic and Caspian last night in Toronto, both bands were AMAZING and they played such a fantastic show. If you're a fan of either band (or both), definitely go catch them on the tour if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

homewrecker posted:

I saw 65daysofstatic and Caspian last night in Toronto, both bands were AMAZING and they played such a fantastic show. If you're a fan of either band (or both), definitely go catch them on the tour if you can.

TOMORROW.

Seriously. TWIABP is great, 65DOS is great...AND Caspian?
Gosh, I am so excited.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I'm all on that show. $15 at the door, $13 in advance?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apparently Caspian's new EP has been up for streaming for the past few days but I just found out about it.

And, well, holy poo poo, it's great, just like every other Caspian release. I already knew the title track was a knockout and that the Lazerbeak remix of Halls Of The Summer was great since I'd heard both of those before, but oh man, The Heart That Fed is honestly one of my favorite tracks they've ever put out. CMF is really nice as well. The High Lonesome demo and Arms & Sleepers remix of Procellous are alright but feel more like bonus content tacked on to a strong release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEVEojt4Dc

Seriously, you guys gotta hear this track.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 9, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The Heart That Fed is indeed amazing. Wow.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Shamelessly crossposting from the Ohio goonmeet thread:

If there are any Ohio fans paying attention, Caspian and 65daysofstatic are playing in Cleveland on November 23: https://www.facebook.com/events/228528580637855

I hope to be up there (from Columbus) for that show and will be certain to make myself noticeable if any goons intend to attend. I believe it will be a very good show.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've been listening to The Heart That Fed on loop all afternoon pretty much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

The Heart That Fed is indeed amazing. Wow.

chunkles posted:

I've been listening to The Heart That Fed on loop all afternoon pretty much.
I know, right?! I've probably listened to it like 10 or 15 times since I first heard it.

I told Phil how much I liked it and he said he had no idea how people would react to that track :shobon:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

This is an interesting one, a compilation of 22 post-rock (ish) songs from Hungary for under a buck.

http://postrockhu.bandcamp.com/

I haven't listened to it yet but the first one sounds pretty good.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's actually 100% free for me ? Living in France, maybe it depends on the region ?

While I don't know a lot about post-rock, some of these tracks are really nice. Also free. :getin:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

No, it's free for me now too, they must have changed it.

SoNaR - Machine is a fun little track.
Kosza Hagyma Post Production is probably the pick of the litter.
StarFunkSimples - ISC is probably the only post-metal track with a clarinet in existence.

Other than that it's pretty standard stuff but I think it's neat that Hungary has 22 post-rock (ish) bands.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It's 2013, get over "post-rock" already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neo Duckberg posted:

It's 2013, get over "post-rock" already.
What are you, in a post-rock band? :v:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I can report from the show last night that MONO are as awesome as ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

I can report from the show last night that MONO are as awesome as ever.
I've seen them like 3 times, and yeah, they NEVER disappoint.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've seen them like 3 times, and yeah, they NEVER disappoint.

I still need to see them properly. The Seattle show's sound system couldn't hand them, it sounded rubbish.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Yeah I saw them in Montreal last night and it was even better than the first time, mostly due to the set. I love Hymn to the Immortal Wind and For My Parents but having a more varied set list that included Yearning and Halcyon was incredible. The hits when those songs go from near silence to full wall of sound made my blood change direction.

I really need to see more post-rock live.

edit: uh I don't know if people don't want to know what they're playing so I'll spoiler it just in case?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Velocirocktor posted:

set list that included Yearning

Oh man, that's not fair. That's the one of theirs that I'd love to see the most. I think their best live song is Pure As Snow but I've seen that twice already. Yearning isn't my favourite song off You Are There (The Flames Beyond The Cold Mountain wins that) but it looks like it'd be wicked live.

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

Anyone seeing Mono in DC tomorrow? I really want to go but I'm not sure if I can get off work in time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

Oh man, that's not fair. That's the one of theirs that I'd love to see the most. I think their best live song is Pure As Snow but I've seen that twice already. Yearning isn't my favourite song off You Are There (The Flames Beyond The Cold Mountain wins that) but it looks like it'd be wicked live.
Yearning is the best song on You Are There, one of the best Mono songs, and one of the best post-rock songs period. :colbert:

And yes, seeing it live will actually melt your face. I saw them play it like 3 years ago and I was front row right in front of Takaa for it. It was a religious experience.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
That song was probably the single best purely musical experience I've had at a live show, period. The only other things that come close are as much due to the crowd as the song/band. The high of that show was so great I genuinely felt a little depressed the next day from the come down.

Anyway I feel like I already know what this thread is going to tell me, but is it worth spending 40 bones + bus fare to Toronto on a ticket to see Mogwai when I've only really heard Young Team? Like, does the rest of their material generally stack up to tracks like Mogwai Fear Satan or Like Herod? Last time I blind bought a ticket based on live reputation it was when I saw Mono last year, which worked out brilliantly, but that also cost me about half what this will.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got my ticket for 65daysofstatic/Caspian/TWIABP&IANLATD. Might wind up going alone but it should be worth it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The new Caspian EP is great, but it has one huge drawback: It's not a full-length album. :negative:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Velocirocktor posted:

That song was probably the single best purely musical experience I've had at a live show, period. The only other things that come close are as much due to the crowd as the song/band. The high of that show was so great I genuinely felt a little depressed the next day from the come down.

Anyway I feel like I already know what this thread is going to tell me, but is it worth spending 40 bones + bus fare to Toronto on a ticket to see Mogwai when I've only really heard Young Team? Like, does the rest of their material generally stack up to tracks like Mogwai Fear Satan or Like Herod? Last time I blind bought a ticket based on live reputation it was when I saw Mono last year, which worked out brilliantly, but that also cost me about half what this will.

Living in Tasmania where I have to pay a $400 flight + accomo minimum to see any post-rock when they come down, I hate that you're having this dilemma.

You should go, they're awesome.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If you're into post-rock at all, you'll enjoy Mogwai live. They've got a lot of material to draw from to make a great set.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Indeed, and "Mogwai Fear Satan" and "Like Herod" are often included in the live set (sometimes both). "Mogwai Fear Satan" live is something everyone should experience.

Some of the latter material like "Glasgow Mega Snake" destroys live.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

hatelull posted:

Indeed, and "Mogwai Fear Satan" and "Like Herod" are often included in the live set (sometimes both). "Mogwai Fear Satan" live is something everyone should experience.

Some of the latter material like "Glasgow Mega Snake" destroys live.

Try My Father My King as an encore. :allears:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

While listening to Pelican albums over and over I chanced to see Baroness recommended to me. Upon taking this recommendation I found a band that I feel many post-rock fans would enjoy despite it not being of the genre. It is quite immaculate, if I must put a word to it.

If you like Pelican, you should listen. If you like Isis, I would question how you did not already know of Baroness if I somehow knew you hadn't.

To you, fictional but plausible post-rock fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmllWGKRik

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Thanks to my evolving musical taste, Pandora eventually led me to Moonlit Sailor. Awesome stuff(my favorite is Landvetter). I then started a Moonlit Sailor Pandora station, and it led me to The Calm Blue Sea. Holy poo poo. I am blown away.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The new Year of No Light album, Tocsin, is brilliant:

http://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/tocsin

Track 2 is my favourite.

I know it's more post metal but blah

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

While listening to Pelican albums over and over I chanced to see Baroness recommended to me. Upon taking this recommendation I found a band that I feel many post-rock fans would enjoy despite it not being of the genre. It is quite immaculate, if I must put a word to it.

If you like Pelican, you should listen. If you like Isis, I would question how you did not already know of Baroness if I somehow knew you hadn't.

To you, fictional but plausible post-rock fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmllWGKRik

Blue album and Red album are both very like ISIS, Yellow & Green not so much.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Any of you guys catching Caspian and 65daysofstatic tonight in NYC?

Heartbroken I missed And So I Watch You From Afar last weekend so hopefully this show will make up for it.

That new Caspian EP though....hot drat

Edit: I'm an idiot and can't read, the shows sunday not tonight!

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2013

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing quite like hearing these bands live. Caught Capsian and 65daysofstatic in Cleveland and that poo poo is even better in person. I also love that it was a tiny venue, less than 100 people in the house.

You're in for a treat if you're seeing them in NYC.

Not sure The World is a Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid to Die is my speed, though they were good. (I totally thought that name was two different bands :downs:)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That is such a killer lineup and I am so incredibly jealous of you and everyone else who's been getting to see this tour. Bonus points because it was in a tiny venue. I've seen Caspian in two separate tiny venues (and once in a bigger venue) and that ruled. A bunch of fans all crammed together in a small space thoroughly enjoying post-rock is a great concert experience.

TWIABPAIANLATD is one of those post-rock bands I've never checked out. Maybe I should one of these days.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

What the gently caress :psyduck: this genre is ridiculous and I'm glad there are some bands that don't do this kinda poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

What the gently caress :psyduck: this genre is ridiculous and I'm glad there are some bands that don't do this kinda poo poo
Hahaha, I remember burning a copy of A Silver Mount Zion's first album like 6 or 7 years ago and attempting to write the entire name of the album on the CD in Sharpie. I pulled it off, but just barely.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The names are such a mouthful sometimes, and seeing the similarity in the names is getting kinda meme-y for me. Fortunately, they seem to make good music so whatever.

I feel like you could just string together a few words, capitalize them and you might be naming a post-rock band.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zxqv8 posted:

I feel like you could just string together a few words, capitalize them and you might be naming a post-rock band.
I feel like we've done that in this thread at some point, or else there was some kind of post-rock name generator somewhere on the internet that did this.

In any case, we should do it again because it's fun :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That is such a killer lineup and I am so incredibly jealous of you and everyone else who's been getting to see this tour. Bonus points because it was in a tiny venue. I've seen Caspian in two separate tiny venues (and once in a bigger venue) and that ruled. A bunch of fans all crammed together in a small space thoroughly enjoying post-rock is a great concert experience.

TWIABPAIANLATD is one of those post-rock bands I've never checked out. Maybe I should one of these days.

TWIABP are not a post-rock band. They're the best of the emo revival and a lot of the crowd was not ready for them. Great band though.

I was also at the Cleveland show and it absolutely ruled. Every Caspian song is the same but they bring so much energy it didn't matter. Loved the diversity of the 65days setlist. Best concert I've been to in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

TWIABP are not a post-rock band. They're the best of the emo revival and a lot of the crowd was not ready for them. Great band though.
:stare:

So I had no idea about that and checked out their album Whenever, If Ever. This seems like it'd be up a lot of post-rock fans' alleys. Pretty much all post-rock fans I know IRL are into old emo stuff and some new emo stuff like this too. Plus this seems to have enough post-rock style instrumentation to keep fans of the genre interested.

I don't know why it wouldn't go over well with fans of Caspian. This is going over pretty well with me v:shobon:v