Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I still buy the odd magazine when I am in line and see it but I also let my online sub lapse. I do like the magazines for thumbing through when I am hungry but don't know for what. I am also a sucker for that style of illustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gizmodo's been having a lot of fun with science/messing with food lately:

http://brentrose.kinja.com/cryogenic-fluid-vs-egg-1465895284/1465949909/@robertsorokanich

Medlab's comment at the bottom is interesting too

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

If it's not toxic, bonus.

"There was nothing wrong with that food. The salt level was 10% less than a lethal dose. "

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

My mother-in-law gave me a subscription as a birthday present last year. The magazines were nice, but now I get to be badgered and harassed by endless RENEW YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR WE WILL KILL THIS KITTEN mailings for the rest of my life. Thanks, Mom.

The obvious answer is that you submit kitten under a brick to them as a recipe. Make sure to include pictures.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Presented for your Thanksgiving consideration, a new stuffing recipe. :aaaaa:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Presented for your Thanksgiving consideration, a new stuffing recipe. :aaaaa:

Oh my god

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Time to buy a waffle iron.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I often take leftover stuffing, add some cream and egg, and make some griddle cakes. Never occurred to me that I should make it into a waffle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Welp, there goes Friday morning after Thanksgiving.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chicken-fried turkey and stuffing waffles, maybe? Serve with potato and collard mash.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

See, that's the good sort of internet food fuckery. It's almost exactly the opposite of Meat House.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'm making stuffing waffles and this for Thanksgiving: http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002546865/danny-bowiens-thanksgiving-pastrami-.html

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just run the skin off of three dozen chickens through a meat grinder, toss it with salt, pepper, sage and enough egg to bind it, then cook that in the waffle iron.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I was scratching my head at "just get some corned beef" and couldn't finish after I saw a ridged griddle used to fake smoke flavor.

Just make some loving pastrami, a clay pot smoker costs 50bux to build.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
In all fairness, not everyone lives somewhere that would allow a clay pot smoker, no matter how cheap they are to build. I can definitely see some apartment neighbors or landlords getting super pissed about it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

There are still much better alternatives. Liquid smoke, smoke powders you can incorporate in your dry rub. Actually buy pastrami from your butcher, because if they have corned beef, they'll probably have pastrami.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...Did you watch them actually slice it? It came out beautifully. Having eaten Danny's food hundreds of times, I can guarantee you it's undoubtedly delicious.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I'm getting ready to wet cure some turkeys for smoking, and decided to see if Ruhlman had anything to say on the subject...

Brine, an extraordinary tool

Cool, a 5% brine sounds about right... Let's see what people are saying in the comments section!

luis posted:

March 23, 2008 at 12:23 pm
Well reading some more on Salt testing of foods seems to suggest that measuring the impedance of the meat (typical resistance measurement)might be usefull in determining the salt content of the meats.
Haven’t found anyone making such a meter but would not surprise me if they were already out.
I did find salinity meters that are used in fish farming and other techniques. If brining for flavor really takes off….$$$$$$$$cha ching!

...and it goes on, and on.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

PainBreak posted:

I'm getting ready to wet cure some turkeys for smoking, and decided to see if Ruhlman had anything to say on the subject...

Brine, an extraordinary tool

Cool, a 5% brine sounds about right... Let's see what people are saying in the comments section!

...and it goes on, and on.

The Food Lab has a case against wet brining. I do take some issue with what they considered a wet brine, but it raises some interesting points.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

The Food Lab has a case against wet brining. I do take some issue with what they considered a wet brine, but it raises some interesting points.

It's inconceivable! They're saying that brining a bird just makes it watery, salty and has less flavor. Well I never!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

Wait, people just use salt water for brining and don't like, cook up a brine with delicious things in it that can infuse in with the water and add flavor to the meat?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MC makes the argument that overnight isnt actually nearly long enough for a whole turkey to get proper penetration. There is of course "dry brining" wherein you salt the meat and the salt makes a natural brine with the meat juices and then gets reabsorbed. This is obviously problematic for whole birds as you get a nice barrier from the skin.

This was the brine injection I was talking about. You use a stronger than usual brine and inject it into the muscle. What you get is the minimal waterlogging from dry brine and the ability to do it to a whole bird like in wet brine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrBqN4jl8I

fwiw, I would trust MC's scienceing over serious eats.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 19, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

It's inconceivable! They're saying that brining a bird just makes it watery, salty and has less flavor. Well I never!

To be perfectly honest, as the vast majority of people horribly overcook their turkeys, I'd rather have a moist brined turkey even if it means having slightly less ~~** concentrated turkey flavor **~~ than a piece of loving shoe leather. I'm looking at you, Gram.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I am loving this clay pot smoker so much. It sits right at 210F, doesn't generate too much smoke, so it doesn't look like I'm burning the place down, and it only cost 50bux and 15mins to set up.

I also get the fantastic side effect of smelling mesquite all day.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
But my lease agreement says no pot smoking :saddowns:

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
You guys remember that "How to Cook Dinner In A Coffee Pot" video?

The local Las Vegas news channel just ran it. Completely seriously.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I have this FB friend who is a distant internet acquaintance from the old days, and she gradually changed into an anti-corn/Monsanto gluten-intolerant food obsessed nutcase, who rarely has anything else to post beside food-horror stories and websites from people like herself, who share good tips to not starve in this poison infested world.

She posted that video as well, completely serious.

(I laughed and refrained from commenting)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 20, 2013

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Sleepy Sheep posted:

The maids at some las vegas hotels are going to be in for a surprise when they check on the complimentary coffee pots...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Sleepy Sheep posted:

I wanted to weep when I saw it on my NPR feed, also in earnest.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/11/15/245442083/coffee-maker-cooking-brew-up-your-next-dinner

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Best reply.

EDIT Can someone un-upload the image that's breaking tables? :gonk: I didn't realise that it would do so.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, so I mean, what do the rest of you think about brining?

I really agree with the air drying thing - I think it's probably dry skin vesus the actual brining that determines crispy skin. so last couple thanksgivings I've brined for 3-5 days, and then air dried overnight. gotten really tasty, relatively crispy skin results - but I'm not convinced I've found the end-all-be-all method.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Inject brine, dry for a day.

E: just what I do, never really bothered to try any other way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want to do more than get saltwater into your meat, then injection is the only way to go. If you just want moist meat but not the flavors from injection, then don't overcook your bird.

Also, salt the skin then air dry it in the fridge. Be sure to rinse it off before cooking and don't season the skin again lest it be inedible.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've never brined a bird and the time I shanked it with a needle I was told it tasted greasy. So I don't do either anymore. I cook it for a proper time according to weight and I've yet to have a turkey come out dry. I stuff a ton of aromatics in it's rear end though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've never brined a bird and the time I shanked it with a needle I was told it tasted greasy. So I don't do either anymore. I cook it for a proper time according to weight and I've yet to have a turkey come out dry. I stuff a ton of aromatics in it's rear end though.

Did you inject butter?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you inject butter?

I'd love to pretend it was butter but it was this poo poo without the creole seasoning in it. Instead, it was "herb and butter!". http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Marinade-17-OZ/dp/B0037TRE82/ref=pd_sbs_lg_3

:barf: What I used was probably the problem but I'm not "allowed" to inject turkeys anymore.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

mindphlux posted:

alright, so I mean, what do the rest of you think about brining?

I really agree with the air drying thing - I think it's probably dry skin vesus the actual brining that determines crispy skin. so last couple thanksgivings I've brined for 3-5 days, and then air dried overnight. gotten really tasty, relatively crispy skin results - but I'm not convinced I've found the end-all-be-all method.

This is what I do and it works for me. Maybe I'm wasting time but I dunno. I'll try salting it next time and see what I think.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I cook the bird whole I just roast it. Seriously it's never even a problem and I don't know how people end up with dry birds. I'm cooking heritage breed home grown turkeys, too, so if anything mine should be drier. I think that a lot of people out there in the world just don't do roasting of whole birds (like, they never even do chickens, let alone anything bigger), so there's this whole "thing" about "Oh goodness you have to do something to your Thanksgiving turkey or else it will come out as a disaster". No it won't. Just cook it properly and it will be great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is that a Costco brand turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I cook the bird whole I just roast it. Seriously it's never even a problem and I don't know how people end up with dry birds. I'm cooking heritage breed home grown turkeys, too, so if anything mine should be drier. I think that a lot of people out there in the world just don't do roasting of whole birds (like, they never even do chickens, let alone anything bigger), so there's this whole "thing" about "Oh goodness you have to do something to your Thanksgiving turkey or else it will come out as a disaster". No it won't. Just cook it properly and it will be great.
Do you see how this advice is useless to anyone who doesn't end up with dry birds, and also useless to anyone who does?