Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

nasboat posted:

even with them being heels, I used to enjoy when IRS (and really, Rick Rude before that, more than anything) would berate the crowd on the mic before every match.

So what I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, out-of-shape, PSP sweathogs watch this video to see what classic heel heat looks like.

When I was a kid, Rick Rude was the first heel I genuinely hated. Even me, at 8 or 9, his gimmick spoke to me as the stud who'd kick sand in the face of the nerd and take his girl at the beach. But, I watched every single one of his matches (annnd maybe mimicked the hip gyration a few times). Now, he may be my favorite heel of all time: he just oozed it; it came so naturally.

Looking back now, the vast majority of my favorite wrestlers were either full/part-time heels: Rick Rude, Randy Savage, Jake Robert, Ted DiBiase, Big Boss Man, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Mr. Perfect, Razor Ramon. Heck, I even kind of liked Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart, if more for his manic, cackling persona than as a wrestler.

The first angle I remember was Savage and Steamboat at Wrestlemania III, when Savage dove off the top-rope with the ring bell across Steamboat's throat. I was horrified, and I was hooked.

The only faces I recalled liking were Ricky Steamboat and Koko B. Ware (who I think really could've been something if he got a real push). At the time, I just didn't get the appeal of Hogan, Warrior, Junkyard Dog, Bushwhackers. At least, it never translated into the ring for me. Also it might've been that their finishers were weak compared to what the heels were doing at the time: Leg drop or DDT? Headbutt or Rude Awakening? It wasn't even a contest. :shrug:

A wrestler I didn't appreciate earlier in his career but really like now is Stephen/William Regal. After listening to a few of his interviews and delving further, I've come around on him in a big way. I think his look, music and persona as the General Manager was absolutely brilliant and he's an excellent worker/ring psychologist. Such a shame that things turned out the way they did during his push.

Anyway, enough rambling. But I do have a question:

What are some of your favorite signature moves (excluding finishers)? The two that immediately come to mind for me are Savage's hair-pull hangman and Ted DiBiase's fist drop. What are some of yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sk posted:

Sorry to detail a bit, but if you want to do that survey please try to do it before this evening. If I have time tonight I'm going to try and get started on it.

You know, I wish I'd suggested asking which promotion people first started watching.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

IronCladBurrito posted:

I got all I needed from reading a couple of the reviews.

I think Botchamania's piece of the intro that has Jake saying "Wanna play 21?" was from that PPV, yes?

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9clRpVbYZw8

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can win blackjack with 22. Trust me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

What are some of your favorite signature moves (excluding finishers)? The two that immediately come to mind for me are Savage's hair-pull hangman and Ted DiBiase's fist drop. What are some of yours?

Taker's Old School
Bryan's kneeling kicks
Eddie's Three Amigos
Shawn's diving elbow
Mick's over the top rope clothesline
Sasaki's Tornando Bomb

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghostpilot posted:

Brock used the triple powerbomb and his multiple rib-breaker when he debuted which I loved.

Mr Perfect's rolling neck-snap.

Hall's fallaway slam.

Benoit/Angle repeated German suplexes.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Ghostpilot posted:

Liger's Rolling Koppo Kick
Ultimo Dragon's Asai Moonsault
D-Lo Brown's second turbuckle moonsault
Gangrel's arm trap suplex

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kevin Steen's F-Cinq/Deep Sea Diverticulitis
CM Punk's Running High Knee in the corner/Bulldog Combo
Cody Rhodes' Beautiful Disaster Kick
Antonio Cesaro's Swiss Death
Kane's Flying Clothesline (still looks awesome, even at his age)
Johnny Gargano's Running Snake Eyes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What was the story behind Heroes of Wrestling? Who was behind it? Did they expect Jake to be able to wrestle or was it basically scamming the marks from the get go?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

CM Punk's Macho Elbow
The Undertaker's Ropewalk arm hold and chop (Old School is a dumb name)
Shelton Benjamin's kick, stopped by opponent, and turned into a flip-a-round spinkick
Mr. Perfect's rolling neck snap
Dolph Ziggler's Rocker Dropper (gently caress naming it after BILLY loving GUNN)
Miz's seated corner clothesline (Miz sucks, but it's a neat move)
Ted DiBiase's fist drop
Jerry Lawler's Flying Fist Drop
any Japanese wrestler's mist
Davey Boy Smith's delayed vertical suplex
Angle/Someone who never existed's Rolling Germans
Masato Tanaka's Running Elbow (the not discus one)

I could go on forever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Muta's Dragon Screw
Flair's chops
Punk's neckbreaker and bulldog
Benoit's snap suplex
Bryan's round kicks and his flying knee off the apron

Some of my favourite spots are from guys from the TV era who didn't have a definite finisher. Roberts' kneelift spot was his finisher in Mid-South, and I loved Arn's spinebuster and Race's diving headbutt, which they used as finishers some of the time.

Okay I have a pseudo-poll question of my own: There are plenty of stellar workers with boring finishers, but what about less-than-great wrestlers with a great finisher? First one that comes to mind is Gangrel's DDT.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay I have a pseudo-poll question of my own: There are plenty of stellar workers with boring finishers, but what about less-than-great wrestlers with a great finisher? First one that comes to mind is Gangrel's DDT.
Konnan's Tequila Sunrise

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

The RKO :v:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Maxwell Lord posted:

What was the story behind Heroes of Wrestling? Who was behind it? Did they expect Jake to be able to wrestle or was it basically scamming the marks from the get go?

In '99 wrestling was red hot, which drew non wrestling people to think that it would be easy to cash in on it's popularity. One such man was Bill Stone of Fosstone productions who thought that it would be easy to put together a series of ppv's using old familiar talents and that wrestling fans would flock to it. The plan was to run 4 ppv's a year, roughly one month before each of the big 4 WWF ppv's and to use whatever talent was avaliable, without any need for tv.

The problem was that to break even the show had to do 40,000 buys, yet only did 29,000 with a pretty bad gate. This on its own wouldn't have killed Stones interest in putting on more shows, still thinking fans would buy any poo poo, but he had had such limited exposure to wrestling culture that he was apparently completely surprised by the way in which the talent (mostly Jake) acted.

Dutch Mantel tells some funny stories about his experiences with Stone, mostly involving his complete culture shock, and the way in which he thought he would take advantage of the talent only to witness them take him for everything they could.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Skinty McEdger posted:

Dutch Mantel tells some funny stories about his experiences with Stone, mostly involving his complete culture shock, and the way in which he thought he would take advantage of the talent only to witness them take him for everything they could.

Can you tell me where I can read or listen to these stories?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Can you tell me where I can read or listen to these stories?

I think it's on the RF video shoot he did before he went to TNA. It's definitely not on the KC guest booker shoot, but I think he also talked about it on an IYH radio shoot.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think the Jake/Yoko vs Bundy/Anvil match is worth watching, because even with it being a main event match on the worst PPV show ever featuring a ripped to the tits Jake and a massively overweight Yoko, it's so, so much worse than it sounds. It might just be the worst match I've ever seen.

I've seen the whole thing though and...yeah. The best match on the card is probably Tully Blanchard vs Stan Lane, and even that's not good. Or 2 Cold Scorpio vs Julio Fantastico because Capt. Lou Albano's commentating on it. It is NOT worth watching the whole thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Why aren't they doing something with this guy?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Because they think his fundamentals suck and forced him to live in Florida so he can work on armdrags at the NXT facility. Seriously.

But if you believe Observer reports about how little people get paid in Japan, he's making much more money just sitting around doing nothing than he would be wrestling back over there.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Because WWE is stupid and they want him to improve his English (yeah I know). Doesn't help that WWE not only debuted a non-speaking foreigner that flopped but also a fake Japanese gimmick that flopped. Also, C.H.N.F.Y.

Can't wait for Yoshi to finally skip town and become WWE's Okada.

\/\/\/\/
I said WWE's Okada not Okada. Closest thing to that right now is Davey Boy or Shelton but they were pushed much harder in WWE.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 20, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tatsu is not nearly that good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Most people said that of Okada and Tanahashi when they were in TNA.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Was Lucky Cannon released? I'm glad he's not on TV, but I'm curious.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

Most people said that of Okada and Tanahashi when they were in TNA.

Tatsu is 36. It's a lot easier to develop into a superstar when you're in your mid-20s. He's good and it's ridiculous he isn't used but it's been quite a few years since he had star potential.

Tanahashi actually did some really cool stuff in TNA and was treated seriously FWIW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq991dfbK0U

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Ghostpilot posted:

HBK's stomp to the face
Bret's second rope elbow
Tajiri's handspring elbow
The Regal cutter

Red
Apr 15, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd rather see someone new with an interesting look/gimmick than the same Fandango match for the 200th time.

They have 6 hours of TV to fill a week. Give somebody new a loving shot.

Perry Normal posted:

HBK's stomp to the face

That's called a Pitbull stomp, by the way. They liked naming every little move in the mid-90s.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

The thing Stone Cold did where he did a sort of standing elbow drop/flip off thing
Swiss Death
Bryan's corner dropkick
the Beautiful Disaster Kick
the thing Goldust and Cody do where when an opponent is going for the irish whip backdrop sequence they drop down below them and slap them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

CM Punk's Macho Elbow

Really? I mean, it's neat that he does it to honour his hero, but it's pretty bad. He kinda... falls down.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Really? I mean, it's neat that he does it to honour his hero, but it's pretty bad. He kinda... falls down.

let's be honest, it's an armpit drop. he drops his armpit onto his opponent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CapCityGoofBall posted:

1. THAT WAS YOU?! I should have known.
It wasn't, actually. It came from the floor. We were up on the second tier. Tharizdun and I just :allears:

Tank, Tharizdun and I are planning on hitting a nearby bar after the show. You should join us.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

let's be honest, it's an armpit drop. he drops his armpit onto his opponent.

Nah, that I can live with. (He doesn't really knee the guy in the face for the Go2Sleep either :ssh:)

But he could at least try to get some air, or look like he's dropping on purpose.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No-one has mentioned Goldust's kneeling uppercut, and this makes me disappointed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

No-one has mentioned Goldust's kneeling uppercut, and this makes me disappointed.

that's good too, but I prefer the sliding/drop-down slap.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I dig it because it's a really great tribute. I think he does the move just fine, though. Does he have the smoothness or air that Macho did? No, but Punk and Macho are different wrestlers.

Punk does the little parts of the move right - he puts his fingers up, pulls his legs up, and added his own flair by twirling his arms before he lands. To be fair to Punk, there were times when Savage didn't get a lot of hangtime, either - he was winded at the end of the match, and I'm sure Punk has been as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I love that one and his flying bulldog, but I was trying not to go overboard. He was really an underrated worker, and I think we're seeing that now that he's back and putting on good matches in his 40s.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bret's Turnbuckle-Post Figure-Four needs to be brought back by someone

Red
Apr 15, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

I disagree. I've seen it used recently, and it's just really obvious that someone has to hold the foot of the person applying it. Bret and Austin got away with it, probably because Austin made the application look like he was fighting it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

That book is also full of glaring inaccuracies. I have old Nitros on tape that they talk about and poo poo happens very, very differently on more-than-a-few instances.

I enjoyed the read, but it's hardly a trustworthy source.
Wonder how the updated version Alvarez has been working on will be like...

EugeneJ posted:

Gail Kim's brought it back recently.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I miss Punk's Super Combo. Punch-Punch-Kick-Spinning Backfist!

Has any other wrestler used a striking combo like that as a signature move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Re: signature moves, I like the Tarantula (or I guess the Dilemma, these days), Bryan's 'get sent to the corner, backflip, hit the ropes, flying clothesline' routine, and lately, Big E Langston's ground splash. He gets some serious air on that thing.

Also, shout out to Kana's eight million variations on the hip attack, it's like watching Chris Hero in 2004 finding new ways to bust out cravates, plus it usually looks surprisingly brutal. I mean, throwing your rear end at somebody is usually sort of a comedy spot, it's not supposed to be all "oh, I think you just concussed Meiko Satomura".