Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Alright, can someone recommend a mod that adds ways to get ender pearls? Because I've been playing this world for quite a while and have seen one Enderman for a few brief moments before it stepped in a puddle and teleported out of my life. So I need a mod that either provides an alternate source of ender pearls or provides some way to farm Endermen. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Skuzal posted:

Your best bet for now is to just expand that wall so it covers everything and just deal with the knowledge that your wall is 3 deep to hide everything.

FMP (Forge Multipart) support for TE is planned, from what I understand. I'm not sure when it's going in though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dijon du jour posted:

Alright, can someone recommend a mod that adds ways to get ender pearls? Because I've been playing this world for quite a while and have seen one Enderman for a few brief moments before it stepped in a puddle and teleported out of my life. So I need a mod that either provides an alternate source of ender pearls or provides some way to farm Endermen. Thanks!

Equivalent Exchange. With the Minium Stone you can convert 4 iron ingots into 1 ender pearl.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
*Least difficult: Ender ore lets you mine ender dust to form into pearls from the ground, sometimes mining a block suddenly spawns an enderman.

*Yes, EE3 is another option, though using it kind of feels p. much like opening NEI and asking it for a pearl imo.

*Next up, magical crops allows you to grow plants that give a piece of an ender pearl when harvested, though they take a lot of materials, grow slowly, and many are needed to form a full pearl

*Most difficult: Dimensional Doors spawns weird booby-trapped dungeons with pearls in many of the chests.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

dijon du jour posted:

There's a mod called EnderOre that does just that. It populates the world with ore that breaks into dust that can be crafted into ender pearls.

Also there's a chance on mining the ore that it will spawn an Enderman, which is kind of hilarious.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

I'm assuming you mean pre-TE3? I don't know much about the transfer nodes, but I'm pretty confident that the memory and cpu usage on conduits is approximately the same if not lower.

I was only doing proper testing with pipes connected to a boiler so it might be an edge case, but yeah the nodes were faster. And this was TE3. To be clear, the individual CPU usage of pipes varied, but transfer nodes have higher throughput with upgrades so fewer were required, and in the end the total CPU usage was smaller. Like I said it might be an edge case because normally you're not trying to shove that much flood through.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Rita Repulsa posted:

*Next up, magical crops allows you to grow plants that give a piece of an ender pearl when harvested, though they take a lot of materials, grow slowly, and many are needed to form a full pearl

Magical crops is the king of making poo poo less tedious. Combine with your favorite style of crop automation and tell the hunt for rare resources to get hosed.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dijon du jour posted:

Extra utilities adds Ender Lily in 1.6.x. Not sure if the 1.5.x version does it. You plant them and they grow into ender pearl bearing plants that return their seed as well. It takes an entire minecraft month if you don't plant them on endstone, but provided you aren't using TE recipes you should never run out even with 4-5 seeds.

The better option is just to intentionally try to farm a few enderman at night and then find your way to the end. Never ending ender pearls, provided you kill the dragon and don't die a horrible death.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

There's a mod called EnderOre that does just that. It populates the world with ore that breaks into dust that can be crafted into ender pearls.

Also there's a chance on mining the ore that it will spawn an Enderman, which is kind of hilarious.

Anyone have a link to this? I'm google searching and I see a billion "ender ore" mods but can't find any like this. :confused:

e: Aha, found it. I'm dumb.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Skuzal posted:

Your best bet for now is to just expand that wall so it covers everything and just deal with the knowledge that your wall is 3 deep to hide everything.

He also mentioned eventually coming up with a facade concept as well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ahdinko posted:

So I tried out the TE3 beta and made a video on Redstone Flux. I covered what it is, how to make it, how to store it, and how to use it.
Its my first video, so some opinions on it from goons would be great. I did some prep with the machines and tried to be as concise as possible without losing any detail. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esM7RRyo8UM

Your narration is perfect video editing could be a little better your cuts have about a 1/3 of a second of black and can be sort of disorientating, maybe so let look at [X] next then do the cut.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

PiCroft posted:

Hey KingLemming, any possibility on making conduits able to accept facades or have the microblock covers slot into the same block? Because this:

is simply crimping my style :(

We're going to add a facade/cover system to TE. We're not moving stuff over to FMP as it stands for various reasons; there are some definite performance questions that need to be answered before making that particular leap.

But honestly, I put a lot of work into that render, why does everyone want to hide it? :(

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

KingLemming posted:

But honestly, I put a lot of work into that render, why does everyone want to hide it? :(

All things must be one of 1500000 colors of wood clap board :mad:

Other wise I can't complete my 1:1 rebuild of the castle from ultima underworld :spergin:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've just done all my filming for my TE3 mod spotlight, i think its gone really well so far. I've done a very comprehensive walkthrough of all of the production/energy/smelting/etc type blocks. Im working on getting all the edits right as i wanted it to be smooth since a few people have picked up on my bad scene transitions. With the edits, i should have it all covered in 26 minutes so I think thats pretty good. Once I've got the spotlight edited together, I'll break it down into small videos tomorrow and upload those too.

Should hopefully have my spotlight on Youtube in the next hour or two!

Edit: Rendering now, 50 minutes to go. I felt I did a much better job on the edit :)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

Because not everyone wants all the wiring and ducting visible throughout the building. Don't get me wrong, your stuff looks nice, but on the server I play on, I'm going to be building a mage tower, and I'd like to be able to keep any pipes/ducts/whatever hidden due to the aesthetics I'll be going for.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

KingLemming posted:

We're going to add a facade/cover system to TE. We're not moving stuff over to FMP as it stands for various reasons; there are some definite performance questions that need to be answered before making that particular leap.

:( Sorry, but I kinda don't want bright crimson pipe thingies criss-crossing through my immaculate walls. It angers my inner :spergin:

(also it break immersion for my 1:1 Ultima Underworld castle)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Announcing the Luddite Mod Pack (1.0)!

Hate technology? Sick of trying to figure out what ratio of liquid cats to ender cows you need to power your chicken reactor? Dispense with technology all together! The Luddite mod pack is a pack centered around Minecraft 1.6.4 and the Thaumcraft 4 mod. It tries to provide a magic minecraft experience for the players in a challenging and exotic environment while avoiding technology mods. It's been tested extensively on the Luddite server for compatibility and stability.

Mods Used
  • Thaumcraft 4.0.4c
  • Rei's Minimap
  • Damage Indicators
  • Artifice
  • Back Tools
  • BiblioCraft (+ BiblioWoods for Biomes O Plenty and Natura)
  • Biomes O Plenty
  • Chisel
  • Chococraft
  • Ender Storage
  • Flat Signs
  • Infernal Mobs
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Chests
  • Natura
  • Not Enough Items
  • Obsidian Plates
  • Forge Microblocks
  • Tinkers Construct
  • Thaumic Tinkerer
  • Twilight Forest
  • Underground Biomes
  • Useful Food
  • Yet Another Rotten Flesh to Leather Mod

The Mod Pack is available on the Technic Platform. Play single-player with just the pack or download the server pack (mods and configurations) or play with us on the Luddite server (please visit thread and request to be white-listed to join us).

If you have any specific questions about the modpack please ask in the Luddite server thread and I'll be happy to answer!

fondue fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 20, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

You can do more than just hide something with microblocks. :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rita Repulsa posted:

So things I'm looking for:
I want more mobs than the vanilla ones and to be able to play the game with combat involved, but I am just tired of how loving CHEAP the shots the current mobs take at you are. Most modded mobs are even loving cheaper.
So I'm looking for decently coded mods that add cool new things to find in the wild and possibly that make combat less insufferable and feel like there's some actual strategy beyond "mining forever and getting the perfect tools and enchantments before doing anything ever".

I can not recommend the Deadly World mod enough for this. With Deadly World you literally can't just strip mine everything; the stone is full of Silverfish/spawner/lava veins. Just digging a straight strip mine is almost impossible. It adds traps and spawners everywhere; but also a lot more random treasure. Basically every cave becomes a dungeon. Goes very well with infernal Mobs, and Battle Towers:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1737378-16xforgefather-toasts-server-mods-lost-books-deadly-world-mob-properties-and-more/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvZhM_zJ_E

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So here it is, my mod spotlight on TE3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuO11AssCk

I designed the video around practicality and function, I didn't show off any blocks because "ooh shiny look", but how to get the item, how to use it, and how it will do something useful for you, without any assumed knowledge of Thermal Expansion
I've trimmed it to the minimal amount of chaff possible, so its all knowledge, no filler
I think I've upped my game with the editing since my previous as I'm getting used to the software too
Tomorrow i'll chop out seperate block/mechanic specific videos for when you want answers on a specific thing in just a couple of minutes.
KingLemming, if it will help with your wiki/explaination stuff, and the quality is good enough for you, you're more than welcome to stick it on your website.

Goons, I'd love your thoughts please :)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 20, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

To connect to a pipe that already has liquid in it, right click the unconnecting face with a wrench. It's intended behavior.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I spotted that half way through and corrected myself, I thought I'd leave my mistake in and my correction in as a learning experience as I could see others making the same mistake

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahdinko posted:

So here it is, my mod spotlight on TE3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuO11AssCk

I designed the video around practicality and function, I didn't show off any blocks because "ooh shiny look", but how to get the item, how to use it, and how it will do something useful for you, without any assumed knowledge of Thermal Expansion
I've trimmed it to the minimal amount of chaff possible, so its all knowledge, no filler
I think I've upped my game with the editing since my previous as I'm getting used to the software too
Tomorrow i'll chop out seperate block/mechanic specific videos for when you want answers on a specific thing in just a couple of minutes.
KingLemming, if it will help with your wiki/explaination stuff, and the quality is good enough for you, you're more than welcome to stick it on your website.

Goons, I'd love your thoughts please :)

Something I don't see anyone doing which is something I'd appreciate, using the annotation system to link to certain parts of the video that has what I want. That way I can just skip to the 3 minute segment that involves what I'm asking.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So I haven't played around with MFR since colours were added to the planter and biofuel became a thing, I'm wondering how many different farms are needed for the best biofuel - 8 or 9? I'm thinking out an interesting little design at the back of my head at the moment but I kind of need that info...

Also, what's the best wiki source for MFR info for 1.6.4?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ahdinko posted:

I spotted that half way through and corrected myself, I thought I'd leave my mistake in and my correction in as a learning experience as I could see others making the same mistake

So it boils down to your expectations... do you want us to join you in the joy and wonder of experiencing and becoming involved in a new mod, or do you want the video to teach us how the mod works slash how good it is?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Pidmon posted:

So I haven't played around with MFR since colours were added to the planter and biofuel became a thing, I'm wondering how many different farms are needed for the best biofuel - 8 or 9? I'm thinking out an interesting little design at the back of my head at the moment but I kind of need that info...

Also, what's the best wiki source for MFR info for 1.6.4?

1.6.4's MFR is pretty much the same as the last 1.5.2 one.

Bioreactors have 9 slots.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Can someone explain to me what "ticking tile entity" even means? I know how to fix it, and I know it's a problem. I know that a tile entity is a block that does stuff, like a machine or pipe. I know Minecraft measures time in 'ticks', but none of that makes the error mean anything to me. And then the crash report says 'tile entity being ticked' which just doesn't... what? Stop loving ticking it, then!! :argh:

I'm hoping that if this can be explained to me it will make me SLIGHTLY less furious when it happens, I mean, aside from the anger I feel having to download the entire overworld and deleting the single offending block every time.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
you tube dot jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pY6npqcRU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fortis posted:

Can someone explain to me what "ticking tile entity" even means? I know how to fix it, and I know it's a problem. I know that a tile entity is a block that does stuff, like a machine or pipe. I know Minecraft measures time in 'ticks', but none of that makes the error mean anything to me. And then the crash report says 'tile entity being ticked' which just doesn't... what? Stop loving ticking it, then!! :argh:

I'm hoping that if this can be explained to me it will make me SLIGHTLY less furious when it happens, I mean, aside from the anger I feel having to download the entire overworld and deleting the single offending block every time.

Ticking tile entity is meaningless by itself. The real error is almost always further on down the stack trace. This has to do with the way exception handling works in java, and chaining exceptions. Essentially, the code for running a single tick's worth of logic on a tile entity looks like this:

pre:
try {
 tickTileEntity();
} catch (Exception e) {
 throw new Exception("Ticking tile entity.", e);
}
The result is that the top-level exception says "ticking tile entity", which really means, "An exception occurred while tile entity was ticking", but you should see the inner exception about halfway down the stack trace.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really think MapWriter is a way better map mod than Rei's Minimap, mainly because it saves the entire map and you can zoom way out to unloaded chunks, thus creating an actual comprehensive map of the world instead of just the surrounding areas. You could explore your entire continent if you were so inclined.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Fortis posted:

As far as I can tell in the time I spent dealing with this poo poo, it means that the entity took so long to process that it started loving up the tick cycle and eventually crashed. It normally happens when things either go infinite loop or are too processor intensive for the computer they are running on. Seeing as minecraft basically uses one processor to do all the calculations, this means that the more processor intensive mods can screw up and take too long when mixed with enough other mods that also take a significant amount of cpu power.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Vib Rib posted:

I really think MapWriter is a way better map mod than Rei's Minimap, mainly because it saves the entire map and you can zoom way out to unloaded chunks, thus creating an actual comprehensive map of the world instead of just the surrounding areas. You could explore your entire continent if you were so inclined.

The combo is Zan's minimap with the craftable huge maps from bibilocraft

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Turtlicious posted:

Something I don't see anyone doing which is something I'd appreciate, using the annotation system to link to certain parts of the video that has what I want. That way I can just skip to the 3 minute segment that involves what I'm asking.

I want something like this, but I find those videos really obtrusive that have a bajillion of the annotation boxes come up and flood my screen at the start.
Theres 4 ways of doing it that I can figure, but I'm not sure what would work best:

1. Annotations on the start of the video - i figured i'd fill the right half of the screen up for the first 10 seconds with a table of contents, each annotation button would represent a block, and clicking it would take you to the point in the video that shows you that block. The disadvantage to this is: It fills up your screen with crap for 10 seconds, and that you have to go back to the start of the video to use it again

2. Links in the "More info" part of the video that you can expand out at the bottom, I can use those links that start at a specific time to put you in the right part of the video for what you want. This removes the two disadvantages of the annotations, but then means you have you look outside of the video for your table of contents

3. Upload a table of contents video, which is basically just 20 seconds of a black screen, but then I stick the annotations all over it. Its got the advantages of idea 1, without cluttering up the actual spotlight video. I can link to the video in the more info, and maybe even 1 annotation in the main spotlight, but the downside is it does rely on you finding the table of contents video

4. I do my spotlight, upload it, and then using the video file, I break it out into 10-15 seperate videos, each focusing on one particular block or mechanism. I upload these along side the full spotlight, and then link to them using methods 1, 2 or 3, or just rely on you using channel search or something to find them.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So it boils down to your expectations... do you want us to join you in the joy and wonder of experiencing and becoming involved in a new mod, or do you want the video to teach us how the mod works slash how good it is?

I'm aiming to teach people the mod rather than about my discovery, and honestly, I didn't really think 20 seconds correcting an earlier misinformation took away from the video. But it has been noticed so I'll need to make sure I cut stuff like that out in the future and replace it.
Now I've gotta find out how to cut the middle of a clip out and then stick it back together, yay adobe after effects!

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 20, 2013

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think you should go with option 2, putting it in the "more info" section. Anybody who's looking for a table of contents is probably not looking at the actual video anyway. However, you might want to put an annotation about there being a table of contents down there in the video, to make sure that people know it's there.

Also, the little bit showing recipes is pretty easy to miss in the bottom right, and I didn't even know it was there for the first couple. You wouldn't want to put it in the middle where it's blocking the action, as it were, but I think sticking it all the way down there is a bit much.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ahdinko posted:

I'm aiming to teach people the mod rather than about my discovery, and honestly, I didn't really think 20 seconds correcting an earlier misinformation took away from the video. But it has been noticed so I'll need to make sure I cut stuff like that out in the future and replace it.
Now I've gotta find out how to cut the middle of a clip out and then stick it back together, yay adobe after effects!

Well, yeah. If you're trying to be factual, edit out those mistakes. It's more work that recording once and then shouting, "That's a wrap! Upload that fucker to Youtube!" but doing an editorial pass instantly makes you better than the 98% of commentators who can't be bothered to do even that.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

KingLemming posted:

What I'd love to see out of facades would be a camo type of plate that surrounds the conduit/etc with something that matches the blocks on either side but still shows you the conduit. So a horizontal conduit would be flush with the edge of the block and visible, and then above/below it would match the surrounding textures. I love the renders and like seeing stuff fly around in my pipes/fluiducts, but I don't like gaping holes in my walls.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What's the best combination to use to make Thaumium in Thaumcraft 4? I can't find anything that is just that one aspect and I'm terrified of releasing too much taint and ruining everything my friends have built before I learn how to better contain it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

What's the best combination to use to make Thaumium in Thaumcraft 4? I can't find anything that is just that one aspect and I'm terrified of releasing too much taint and ruining everything my friends have built before I learn how to better contain it.
Research essentia distillation and get the raw Praecantatio from an Alchemical Furnace/Arcane Alembic setup. Every phial of the stuff makes two bars.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ImpactVector posted:

Research essentia distillation and get the raw Praecantatio from an Alchemical Furnace/Arcane Alembic setup. Every phial of the stuff makes two bars.

Oh sweet, I think I just got to that point. Thanks, didn't realize it worked that way- thought it was only for infusion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

wylker posted:

What I'd love to see out of facades would be a camo type of plate that surrounds the conduit/etc with something that matches the blocks on either side but still shows you the conduit. So a horizontal conduit would be flush with the edge of the block and visible, and then above/below it would match the surrounding textures. I love the renders and like seeing stuff fly around in my pipes/fluiducts, but I don't like gaping holes in my walls.

I think this is a fantastic idea as well actually. I agree that I like seeing the wiring and pipes but it would be nice to have it look more sunk in and part of the wall.

• Locked thread