Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Alchenar is just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baloogan posted:

Alchenar is just an rear end in a top hat.

No doubt, but he's 100% right here, and you're a white-noise poster :shrug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also for some content:

Advanced Tactics Gold: More of a wargame creation kit than an actual wargame. Its really fun if you get a good random scenario though. Worth buying. People's tactics is a free demo avaiable on the internet.
If you like WWII I'd recommend Decisive Campaigns Case Blue and Decisive Campaigns The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris. Same engine but really dolled up!

HPS Simulations games are really fun if you can get over the interface. I like Midway. They are all the same 'sort' of game though.

Battlefront simulations are really fun too! I'd recommend the normandy one. I'm really really really looking forward to their 1980s NATO vs PACT game they keep talking about. I'm bored of WWII.

Dominions 3 is kinda like a fantasy wargame. Tough to get into. Need some weird friends great awesome friends to really enjoy this one.

Flashpoint Germany looks cool but the AI is really really stupid. I really want to get the new one, Flashpoint Campaigns.

Gary Grigsby's War in the East is about as painful as the Eastern front of WWII. I'll buy anything with Gary Grigsby's name on it but I prefer his naval simulations.

Gary Grigsby's War in the West is much better than WitE because I actually care about british, Canadian and american divisions. Plus the air war system is awesome! I really hope WitW gets some sort of naval component at some point.

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare, Harpoon 3 Ultimate Advanced Naval Warfare, Harpoon 3 and Harpoon Commanders Edition are what I spent my childhood playing. If you want to turn out like me try these games.

Scourge of War - Chancellorsville and Forge of Freedom are fun up to a point. I went though a period of really caring about the ACW. I got over it.

The Operational Art of War III has so much promise and looks like a wargamer's dream but falls flat (IMO) during combat operations.

War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition: buy buy buy buy buy buy buy play play play play play I'm going to be playing WITP for the rest of my life I think.

And finally Command: Modern Air/etc... is a game that has entirely obsessed me. Its alot of fun!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dom 4 is out on Desura for really cheap, get that and ignore Matrix Dom3.

Get Distant Worlds if you like space 4X because it is hands down THE BEST space 4X there is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

How in the hell was I supposed to hold onto Rabaul, with wishful thinking? True, the Rabaul garrison has surprisingly effective coastal guns, but that's about all they have going for them. I'm genuinely curious as to how defending Rabaul is supposed to work.

Use political points to activate an Australian unit or two and ship them in as fast as you can. Even a squadron of your worst planes that can carry bombs will help against transports unloading without air cover. Go for it. You can't lose much, and any delay in Rabaul becoming a major Japanese base is worthwhile.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

mllaneza posted:

Use political points to activate an Australian unit or two and ship them in as fast as you can. Even a squadron of your worst planes that can carry bombs will help against transports unloading without air cover. Go for it. You can't lose much, and any delay in Rabaul becoming a major Japanese base is worthwhile.

To expand on this a little - the Japanese lose their amphibious landing bonus after four months. Anything that isn't captured by them by then will be a lot tougher for them to take. The Japanese player has a lot of stuff on the target list and a tight schedule to get it done in. Even if they still take Rabaul, if you can beat back the first invasion attempt and force them to come back and try harder the next time Wake Island-style, you've disrupted and delayed the timetable. Delay them enough times, or hold long enough when you do it, and you'll have a much better shot at saving areas like Rangoon and Java.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also I heard on Usenet TOAW is getting a new patch http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323

quote:

Two big items are a more complete Naval model and more units, etc. to allow for larger map sizes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TOAW having a working naval model? I'll believe it when I see it.

In other news, John Tiller's Tunisia 43 and Bulge 44 games are available on Android / Kindle / iPad for 3 USD each. There's also a free "intro" game to get you comfortable with the control scheme.

Necroneocon posted:

I... I like them. I like Pandora and Red Storm. :negative: It's not the devs fault its the publisher.

I've said this before, but no one is really advocating never buying from Matrix ever again. It's just added layers of caution: Is it overpriced? Is it going to need a month's worth of study before you can get into it? Does the UI suck? Does it run on modern resolutions?

Pandora looks like it's good, and 30 bucks for an Alpha Centauri-like is like goons jumping all over Endless Space sight unseen. That it was published by Matrix means people had to ask for guinea pigs, but we're still mostly dissing Matrix on a game-by-game basis. Look at the conversation we're having now about WITP!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Once those four months are up its a nightmare as the IJN to amphibiously assault even a moderately prepared position. Your landing ships SUCK, a lot. Your troops are weaker AV for AV than commonwealth/US forces and allied sigint will give them forewarning if you prep any half decent force for the target.

Plus fuel is always desperately short. If you took all your oil targets intact you can only afford to keep your capital ships at sea about 9-10 days per month as well as feeding the home islands industry. Any more and you are sacrficing Heavy industry for fueling your fleet.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Battlefront simulations are really fun too! I'd recommend the normandy one. I'm really really really looking forward to their 1980s NATO vs PACT game they keep talking about. I'm bored of WWII.

Wait, did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that was just people on the forums asking for one, has Battlefront actually said they're working on one?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Wait, did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that was just people on the forums asking for one, has Battlefront actually said they're working on one?

At some point there will be a Shock Force 2 and that's supposed to be explicitly NATO vs PACT. (Nato vs Russia in the Ukraine apparently. Modern, not 1980's).

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

gohuskies posted:

To expand on this a little - the Japanese lose their amphibious landing bonus after four months. Anything that isn't captured by them by then will be a lot tougher for them to take. The Japanese player has a lot of stuff on the target list and a tight schedule to get it done in. Even if they still take Rabaul, if you can beat back the first invasion attempt and force them to come back and try harder the next time Wake Island-style, you've disrupted and delayed the timetable. Delay them enough times, or hold long enough when you do it, and you'll have a much better shot at saving areas like Rangoon and Java.

Now that I know all this, I'll make a serious attempt to contest Rabaul. You know, next time, which could be a literal year from now.
As it is, Rabaul is a gigantic, Betty-bomber spewing pain in the rear end, harassing my transports in the Solomons and making it risky to bring my carriers into the Solomon Sea.

How screwed am I, since I'm trying to hold onto Rangoon? Is Rangoon really just a deathtrap, or do I have a chance to hold out with enough air cover for resupply?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Now that I know all this, I'll make a serious attempt to contest Rabaul. You know, next time, which could be a literal year from now.
As it is, Rabaul is a gigantic, Betty-bomber spewing pain in the rear end, harassing my transports in the Solomons and making it risky to bring my carriers into the Solomon Sea.

How screwed am I, since I'm trying to hold onto Rangoon? Is Rangoon really just a deathtrap, or do I have a chance to hold out with enough air cover for resupply?

vs the AI? Just divert the troops heading for Singapore to Rangoon. Alternatively land them in Java and never lose it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

vs the AI? Just divert the troops heading for Singapore to Rangoon. Alternatively land them in Java and never lose it.

Java is the single most important piece of land for the Japanese player, and most of them don't realize it. It has two potential level 9 airfields within bomber range of Palembang, balikapan and Singapore, meaning that all three ports are useless until the Japanese have taken Java. Also cruisers can make the dash to Balikapan and back in a single turn from Sorebaja, so if the Japanese get cheeky you can just send them on a raid and shoot up their precious, precious tankers.

Rangoon is worthless, I don't even bother to defend Burma most of the time. Build up a defensive line in India instead. A ship carrying oil from Rangoon to the Home Islands probably uses as much fuel as it carries.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dom 4 is out on Desura for really cheap, get that and ignore Matrix Dom3.

Wait, is $35 "really cheap," or did I miss a sale?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, is $35 "really cheap,"

Hi, welcome to the grognard genre.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
For those not aware, Dominions 3 is on steam.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baloogan posted:

Also I heard on Usenet TOAW is getting a new patch http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323

Ah TOAW naval battles

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

gfanikf posted:

Ah TOAW naval battles

:lol:

What sort of bug caused that? Something like Civilization's Gandhi nuke bug where the value went so low it wrapped around back to high?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Well, it is, compared to the times when you could only get Dominions from Shrapnel Games... which has always felt more grognardy a publisher than even Matrix to me. Parting ways with Shrapnel must have been a good move for Illwinter and Dominions, now its available from Desura and Steam (Dominions 4 still isn't out in Steam though), and at a reasonable price.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Up until earlier this year Dom3 was $60 after being old. It dropped to $30 or so when it hit Desura and then jumped onto Steam. Dom 4 was a $25 beta buy-in and is now $35, stupidly cheap in comparison.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davin Valkri posted:

:lol:

What sort of bug caused that? Something like Civilization's Gandhi nuke bug where the value went so low it wrapped around back to high?

I think the bug was trying to use naval units for naval combat. :v:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

ArchangeI posted:

Java is the single most important piece of land for the Japanese player, and most of them don't realize it. It has two potential level 9 airfields within bomber range of Palembang, balikapan and Singapore, meaning that all three ports are useless until the Japanese have taken Java. Also cruisers can make the dash to Balikapan and back in a single turn from Sorebaja, so if the Japanese get cheeky you can just send them on a raid and shoot up their precious, precious tankers.

This is exactly what I'm doing - I have an ABDA fleet of light cruisers sortieing from Surabaya*, playing pirate and shooting up their invasion convoys near Makassar. Very gratifying.

*gently caress trying to spell it the Dutch way.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

In other news, John Tiller's Tunisia 43 and Bulge 44 games are available on Android / Kindle / iPad for 3 USD each. There's also a free "intro" game to get you comfortable with the control scheme.

I would absolutely love to pick these up, as they really scratch an itch that can't be found elsewhere on the iPad. But I was disappointed with the performance of the free app on my iPad2, the whole thing just runs like sluggish garbage. It is super infuriating that a game with exactly zero animations can't manage to smoothly scroll, or interact with interface elements in a timely fashion.

And god forbid you try to open up and read the in-game manual, the thing takes more than a full minute to even open to the table of contents.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you already have an iPad, I'd say Bulge 44 is mostly redundant since Battle of the Bulge iOS is a thing that exists.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

How would these run on a large phone screen? Vendoviper talking about a laggy interface is making me think that it would be a nightmare to zoom in and out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

How would these run on a large phone screen? Vendoviper talking about a laggy interface is making me think that it would be a nightmare to zoom in and out.

Zooming in and out is just like in any app with the two fingers expanding/contracting.

Movement means pressing the hex until you get a circle indicator, then tracing the path of movement from one hex to the next.

Firing means pressing the hex until you get a circle indicator, releasing the press in the same hex to enter Fire Mode, then tapping the target hex. Or you can tap the Fire Mode button in the upper left corner.

Assaulting is the same as movement, but you trace the path to an enemy hex.

This is what it looks like on my Samsung S4:

EDIT: The toolbar at the top and the unit bar at the bottom can be scrolled.

Besides the toolbar icons not being redesigned and thus looking ugly as sin, it's very much a pure port of Panzer Campaigns, and any issues you might have with this version (too many units to handle, combat "animation"/processing takes too long, etc.) would exist in the PC version anyway, but you can get these for a fraction of the price of the PC game. Hell, every Panzer Campaigns title at 3 bucks a pop would probably be less than a single PC title from HPS.

The only things I'm missing so far are: Travel Mode is awkward to drop in and out of because the only way to do it is with the toolbar, and you don't get to modify realism rules and handicaps (I'm a casual baddie that likes playing on easy mode). No idea if the paid versions are different with regards to these two points.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 20, 2013

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Does it actually run well on Android? Perhaps it is just the iOS port which is garbage. As far as the game working on a phone, I would greatly prefer to be able to play the game on my phone than on my iPad. On the large screen the interface is almost worse than it would be on a smaller one, it would be nice to be able to reach everything from the palm of my hand, and you already have to scroll every UI element on the iPad anyway.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The base Paanzer Campaigns app runs ok on my old Nexus, could run a lot better though, scrolling is a bit meh.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VendoViper posted:

Does it actually run well on Android? Perhaps it is just the iOS port which is garbage. As far as the game working on a phone, I would greatly prefer to be able to play the game on my phone than on my iPad. On the large screen the interface is almost worse than it would be on a smaller one, it would be nice to be able to reach everything from the palm of my hand, and you already have to scroll every UI element on the iPad anyway.

Yup, it runs like a champ on my S4 and also on my Galaxy Tab. No idea why iOS would be performing poorly.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Alchenar posted:

Hi, welcome to the grognard genre.

Oh, it's that type of "really cheap."

I get it then. I've been playing this stuff for years; hell, I remember playing Eastern Front on an Atari. I just try not to give in and think of something like this as cheap just because others are gouging me for more, but on relative terms, I get it.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

VendoViper posted:

I have a razer m and it runs fine on mine.

For games to get this winter, I play field of glory, panzer corps, and the aegod games the most (get alea jacta est if you are looking for the best). The decisive battles series, wite, conflict of heroes, and command ops are also really great games but I don't play them as much for whatever reason.

For panzer corps, the dlc mega campaign is really the only way to play it single player, that thing is really great and huge. Field of glory, well they are gonna update the engine in the near future and there are a million expansion packs, and its really multi only, are all huge problems, but I just really love it. If you like more miniatures type gaming vs people it is really the best thing next to spending even more money and time getting the pewter men and then painting them and then playing vs beards in some dank pit while some greasy rear end in a top hat constantly tries to get you to buy his extremely overpriced merchandise. Which I also love for some reason.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Alchenar posted:

At some point there will be a Shock Force 2 and that's supposed to be explicitly NATO vs PACT. (Nato vs Russia in the Ukraine apparently. Modern, not 1980's).

Yep, I knew about that, which is why I was confused. I didn't think there was a 1980s title.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Really? Its modern? gently caress :( 1980s is so much cooler.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Drive on Moscow, the new game from Shenandoah Studios who made the excellent iPad Battle of the Bulge - is out now!

If it is half as good as their first game, this is a must buy.

Only for iOS7 though

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 21, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

V for Vegas posted:

Drive on Moscow, the new game from Shenandoah Studios who made the excellent iPad Battle of the Bulge - is out now!

If it half as good as their first game, this is a must buy.

Only for iOS7 though

I would buy this right now if they'd release for android. :negative:

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I love bulge, but really only got stuck in when they released the iPhone version. I hope a universal version is coming soon for drive.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

VendoViper posted:

I love bulge, but really only got stuck in when they released the iPhone version. I hope a universal version is coming soon for drive.

Bulge on the iPhone was what got me. Excited about Drive on Moscow, but my only two Multiplayer games have been crushing German victories so I hope long term play shows some balance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I would buy this right now if they'd release for android. :negative:

It's iPad only AND iOS 7 only :negative: My poor iPod just can't catch a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/11/21/easy-commute-light-traffic-drive-moscow/

poo poo AI, don't bother outside multiplayer.