Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

She just called in and was told that if she transfers the upgrade, it still counts against her line, so even using the upgrade on another line would remove her unlimited data. I give up. :negative:

There's no reason to give up - you're describing a very common upgrade process. Try again.

E: On the phone I mean. Going into the store to do anything other than grab a SIM for free or spend money on a vanilla upgrade is asking for disaster IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

She just called in and was told that if she transfers the upgrade, it still counts against her line, so even using the upgrade on another line would remove her unlimited data. I give up. :negative:

Yeah, whatever line that goes under contract loses unlimited. I meant transfer another, less data-use heavy line's upgrade to her. As long as it's not her line going under a new contract, it'll be fine.

Or just get the 6GB plan and use some WiFi. 6 is a lot.

TyGuy
Dec 25, 2006

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, whatever line that goes under contract loses unlimited. I meant transfer another, less data-use heavy line's upgrade to her. As long as it's not her line going under a new contract, it'll be fine.

Or just get the 6GB plan and use some WiFi. 6 is a lot.

So I'm on a family share plan (nationwide talk and text 2000) with four other family members. 2 of the 5 lines still have unlimited data including mine. My current phone is the Galaxy S3 which I preordered right before the deadline of no more unlimiteds with subsidized upgrades. I currently have an upgrade on my line available.

For clarification purposes, if I transfer that upgrade to one of the lines that is on the 2gb per month plan, use it to grab a new phone, then transfer that new phone back to my line I can keep my unlimited data? (and the other person will get the 2 year extended contract?)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TyGuy posted:

So I'm on a family share plan (nationwide talk and text 2000) with four other family members. 2 of the 5 lines still have unlimited data including mine. My current phone is the Galaxy S3 which I preordered right before the deadline of no more unlimiteds with subsidized upgrades. I currently have an upgrade on my line available.

For clarification purposes, if I transfer that upgrade to one of the lines that is on the 2gb per month plan, use it to grab a new phone, then transfer that new phone back to my line I can keep my unlimited data? (and the other person will get the 2 year extended contract?)

This has been my understanding, as well as confirmed by an extremely nice, helpful service rep, so I don't know what the person talking to Dr. rear end in a top hat's girlfriend was talking about. Multiple have confirmed transferring an upgrade won't lose your unlimited. I'll be doing just that come Black Friday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had something interesting happen to me today. I got one of those surveys awhile back right after I got my MAXX. It was the standard stuff and I did give the store high marks, but the one final question was "Would I recommend Verizon Wireless to friends or family."

To that, I had to answer truthfully. No, I could not recommend VZW to my friends or family due to pricing.

That was probably a month ago. Today, I get a phone call from the store asking me to elaborate on my comments. I wasn't able to answer the phone at the time, so that was left in a voicemail.

I hope I didn't get anyone in the store in trouble because they didn't do anything wrong, but I'm also not sure it's worth calling back to elaborate on my comments. Will they actually forward that along to corporate? Do they really care that I don't think it's worthwhile for people I know to look at Verizon Wireless because they nixed all the individual plans and force-feed everyone unlimited minutes and texts that they don't need?

This also comes at an embarrassing time for them when their CFO publicly STATED that their network wasn't up to snuff in major cities, so it would be very hard to hold "the network" argument.

Between the CFO statements, this phone call, and the fact that the Moto X is getting Kit Kat pushed to soak test users tomorrow, I'm starting to instinctively fear this strange Verizon Wireless that seems humble and motivated to earn my dollar.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
So you should ask them what you'll get in return for providing such good criticism. You know, a few months credit or something.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I had something interesting happen to me today. I got one of those surveys awhile back right after I got my MAXX. It was the standard stuff and I did give the store high marks, but the one final question was "Would I recommend Verizon Wireless to friends or family."

To that, I had to answer truthfully. No, I could not recommend VZW to my friends or family due to pricing.

That was probably a month ago. Today, I get a phone call from the store asking me to elaborate on my comments. I wasn't able to answer the phone at the time, so that was left in a voicemail.

I hope I didn't get anyone in the store in trouble because they didn't do anything wrong, but I'm also not sure it's worth calling back to elaborate on my comments. Will they actually forward that along to corporate? Do they really care that I don't think it's worthwhile for people I know to look at Verizon Wireless because they nixed all the individual plans and force-feed everyone unlimited minutes and texts that they don't need?

This also comes at an embarrassing time for them when their CFO publicly STATED that their network wasn't up to snuff in major cities, so it would be very hard to hold "the network" argument.

Between the CFO statements, this phone call, and the fact that the Moto X is getting Kit Kat pushed to soak test users tomorrow, I'm starting to instinctively fear this strange Verizon Wireless that seems humble and motivated to earn my dollar.

What will happen is any call that gets an answered survey, good or bad, will get reviewed by the employee's immediate supervisor. If they didn't do anything bad, they'll be fine, but it couldn't hurt to let VZW know you want more support for individual plans.

If it was in person, I dunno, but they are aware people care about things other than customer service.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 19, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roundboy posted:

Rumor was VoLTE only phones will be cheaper due to lack of radios, and as such verizon ends subsidies on phones.

I don't understand this. The radios make the phone cost 600$ ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't understand this. The radios make the phone cost 600$ ?

not entirely, but removing the CDMA / GSM / etc radios and leaving what is essentially a wifi radio in is supposedly a good chunk of the phone cost.

supposedly. But until I see it for myself i will remain skeptical. But VoLTE only phones are supposed to be even more power efficient.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

The system they use is really broken and doesn't allow for the customer to complain about Verizon itself (because why would they?) the score given will be assigned to the person who helped you as a bad score and will make it appear they are doing a bad job to their spreadsheet jockey supervisors.

Another interesting bit: when you have a scale of 0 to 10, anything less than a 9 is considered "passive" or detractor and have the same weight on the metric.

Roundboy posted:

not entirely, but removing the CDMA / GSM / etc radios and leaving what is essentially a wifi radio in is supposedly a good chunk of the phone cost.

supposedly. But until I see it for myself i will remain skeptical. But VoLTE only phones are supposed to be even more power efficient.

The GSM radio wont be removed, not just for Global roaming, but its the same radio that handles the LTE transmission. It's the CDMA radio they would like to get rid of, as its an entire other section of the radio they could eliminate, save licensing costs and use cheaper components, and not having to have both the CDMA and GSM portions powered on all the time will save a ton of battery. CDMA still carries all the voice and SMS traffic. VoLTE will allow them to ignore the CDMA network on the device entirely.

We already have a 4G only device now, the Ellipsis Tablet that came out last week that was being flamed to death by internet has no 3G in it at all.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 19, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I still find it hard to think that removing the CDMA radio is going to make things that much cheaper, at least that removing it would shave enough off the device price that it would have a meaningful impact on subsidies.

Does a CDMA radio in your phone represent $100 or $200 of the bill of materials? From the iPhone 4S forward, the iPhone has got a CDMA radio in it, no matter what carrier they sell it for. Adding it to the non-CDMA flavored devices didn't change the price of the phone, so would subtracting it have a big impact?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cost of licensing to Qualcomm per device for the CDMA stack is about $11.

Then there's the slight marginal cost in hardware.

Increased R&D for engineering working CDMA into the handset (antenna placement, network stack tweaks)

Increased FCC certification costs.

Economies of scale cost to manufacturers for having to maintain a CDMA device different from their other lines.

So, maybe not $100 per handset, but I could see it approaching $30-$50. Not a ton, no, but every little bit helps.

There are cost savings on Verizon's side as well.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The fishiest part of the "LTE-only phones will be cheaper to make and therefore the consumer will ultimately save money" theory was never the antecedent.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

bull3964 posted:

Increased R&D for engineering working CDMA into the handset (antenna placement, network stack tweaks)

Economies of scale cost to manufacturers for having to maintain a CDMA device different from their other lines.

So, maybe not $100 per handset, but I could see it approaching $30-$50. Not a ton, no, but every little bit helps.

Too bad Verizon will just pocket any savings.

Considering how often I get booted down to 3g I am not sure I would want a phone that couldn't handle 3g as it might mean all those times I would just have no signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not as if the LTE network is done now, they are pretty much expanding it every day. Hell, most of the east is set to triple the available spectrum in the next few months.

At the point in time that they launch VoLTE, you can drat well bet that the whole country is ready for LTE only phones at that point. The lack of failback for voice calls pretty much requires that.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

The system they use is really broken and doesn't allow for the customer to complain about Verizon itself (because why would they?) the score given will be assigned to the person who helped you as a bad score and will make it appear they are doing a bad job to their spreadsheet jockey supervisors.

Another interesting bit: when you have a scale of 0 to 10, anything less than a 9 is considered "passive" or detractor and have the same weight on the metric.

The metric is relative, so even if an employee gets 60% negative, if that's normal for his department, he looks fine. Also 8 and 7 results aren't counted either way, it's only 6 and below that are considered detractors.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 19, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I thought that by removing 'parts' the phones dropped down in price from the off contract price of $600-$800 to something approaching what the normal person would spend, thus eliminating subsidy.

but after typing that out im laughing, because there is no way people would all of a sudden get a CDMA-less Samsung Sx for anything less then $500 retail unless they get some sort of contract bup. $200 seems the max people would pay for a device if they dont care about locking in for another 2 years.

All that aside, the intermediate phones seem pointless to wait for, and by the time my new contract is up, i;; be fully into VoLTE land, with the phones around to boot. I'll just wait for xmas deals and pick.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

The metric is relative, so even if an employee gets 60% negative, if that's normal for his department, he looks fine. Also 8 and 7 results aren't counted either way, it's only 6 and below that are considered detractors.

Right, 8 and 7 are "passive", which still hurts you overall.

I hardly consider 8 out of 10 to be a bad score in anything, I, and many people would consider 8 out of 10 to be a very good rating. I would only hand out 10s if they did something amazing for me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Every single iPhone 4s on the planet has CDMA inside it, so it must not be too expensive component-wise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a hard time believing that making separate devices for each carrier (or, let's say, one device for AT&T/T-Mo and one for Verizon/Sprint) is somehow cheaper than making a single device that works on all of them given economies of scale, even with the added licensing fees.

Mighty Horse posted:

Every single iPhone 4s on the planet has CDMA inside it, so it must not be too expensive component-wise.
It's every single iPhone since the 4s was released. That said, Apple isn't afraid of charging high margins, which the Android space has less room for.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Right, 8 and 7 are "passive", which still hurts you overall.

I hardly consider 8 out of 10 to be a bad score in anything, I, and many people would consider 8 out of 10 to be a very good rating. I would only hand out 10s if they did something amazing for me.

They've found 8-7 correspond with ambivalence, so even though it seems counterintuitive, only people that feel strongly are in fact likely to recommend anything.

It's still all relative, so a rep is only hurt if their surveys are lower consistently or a follow up blames them for the low rating.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'm headed to Montreal for a 4 day conference. I have unlimited data on a "nationwide talk and text share 700" plan that I share with my parents. I use Google voice for texts, and I plan to use maps for getting around in the city.

Will I be slammed with roaming data charges? Will I be able to do these things at all? What should I do?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hoobajoo posted:

They've found 8-7 correspond with ambivalence, so even though it seems counterintuitive, only people that feel strongly are in fact likely to recommend anything.

It's still all relative, so a rep is only hurt if their surveys are lower consistently or a follow up blames them for the low rating.

All the wireless carriers have a survey system like this. Be it out of 5 or out of 10, anything below a perfect hurts the reps ratings basically. And the ratings are not based on "how did your rep do?" but off of "are you happy with ATT/Verizon/Sprint?"

I agree with the upside that it does make employees more liable to find out if there are issues, do a good job, etc. It is annoying because you always have both people who you can't please or people that just won't give more than a 4/5 or 8/10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's why, in general I tend to ignore surveys. If I have a poor opinion of a transaction, the problem is mostly with the whole system.

I gave all high marks for the purchase of the MAXX, does that mean I was satisfied with the process? Hell loving no. It just means I didn't want to penalize the poor guy the store who happened to deal with me.

At the end of the day, I ordered something for in store pickup, received an email saying it was ready, and STILL spent about 40 minutes in the store. To make one transaction. That I already made. Is that the fault of the guy who happened to pick my ticket? Nope. It's the fault of Verizon Wireless insisting on 1:1 rep:customer interaction on every little thing. I really just wanted to walk into the store, swipe my card to prove it was me, and take my phone and leave. That would have really earled 10/10 marks across the board. Instead, I had to queue up in line behind people who were seemingly examining every phone in detail before they made their decision.

Then, once my name was called, I had to wait another 5 minutes for them to go to the back room to find the thing, then purchase it all over again, then have them set it up. None of that would have happened if I would have had the thing shipped to me and that's exactly what I expect out of an in-store pickup, the same results as shipping directly to me only I get it immediately.

Surveys seem to always be given under the assumption that the system is flawless and we just want to catch employees not following the system perfectly.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I've had a lovely continuum for a few years and I being a big disgusting slob have been too lazy to cancel the data plan even though the thing crawls and can't do streaming video. While I could try this gamble all over again and get an almost free S3 that will claim to do cool things my computer already does, I might just get a good qwerty keyboard phone if it's got a good camera and GPS for when I rarely need it. It seems like this doesn't exist though. What do people who have been with verizon for years do when verizon doesn't want to offer good non data plan products anymore? Is there a phone you guys can recommend I buy 3rd party, or should I really just jump ship and find a company that offers good "basic" phones with a 5 mp camera in them and gets a review of more than 2 stars?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think too many people on Verizon are using feature phones at this point. If they are, they're probably just taking whatever is free since they don't really care too much. All that said, if you decide to stay on a smartphone, you can do far better than a Galaxy S3, even for free. I'm pretty sure the Moto X is still free, and that would be miles better.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's come up a few times before but yeah don't waste your subsidiary pricing on an old phone. It's a hassle but you should probably just buy an iPhone and sell it to someone for a discounted price. Use the money you made off that and buy a used S3. If money is tight you can justify this since you can potentially make $100 off the process. Of course if I had to pay for my cell and it wasn't provided through work I would say gently caress that to Verizon prices and have a lovely plan through someone like Cricket.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This might be a stupid/common question but is there any way to start a new two-year contract early? I'm tired of my Gnex and its various issues (mostly being slow as hell) but I've got six goddamn months left before my subsidized upgrade

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Defenestration posted:

I'm headed to Montreal for a 4 day conference. I have unlimited data on a "nationwide talk and text share 700" plan that I share with my parents. I use Google voice for texts, and I plan to use maps for getting around in the city.

Will I be slammed with roaming data charges? Will I be able to do these things at all? What should I do?

Probably. Call the Global team, international travel gets weird, and there's plans for global data so it won't totally bone you.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Besides device size, screen size, and battery size, is there any difference between the moto x and the DROID maxx? Do they both have the always listening thing now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MAXX has double the storage and wireless charging as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Super Dude posted:

Besides device size, screen size, and battery size, is there any difference between the moto x and the DROID maxx? Do they both have the always listening thing now?

Yeah, they both have the always listening thing. Maxx also has double the storage, and capacitive buttons instead of on screen.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Moto X has Kit Kat already, but I'd go for the MAXX, it will have it soon. Kit Kat on my X is pretty drat nice though!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

pbpancho posted:

Moto X has Kit Kat already, but I'd go for the MAXX

Care to explain why?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Super Dude posted:

Care to explain why?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, they both have the always listening thing. Maxx also has double the storage, and capacitive buttons instead of on screen.

pbpancho posted:

Moto X has Kit Kat already, but I'd go for the MAXX, it will have it soon. Kit Kat on my X is pretty drat nice though!

The MAXX is pretty awesome.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you do Moto Maker, you can get the X in 32GB (like mine) on Verizon, which makes the battery the sole benefit of MAXX over X.

Not that it's unimportant in the least, but some people don't spend enough time away from charging sources to induce range anxiety.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you do Moto Maker, you can get the X in 32GB (like mine) on Verizon, which makes the battery the sole benefit of MAXX over X.

Not that it's unimportant in the least, but some people don't spend enough time away from charging sources to induce range anxiety.

Any coupons I can use on the motomaker site? At 32GB the X only comes out $50 cheaper than the Maxx.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

And this is a problem?

You need to decide if the 1100mAh and wireless charging is worth $50 and the lack of customization to you.

For me, it isn't because I don't ever suffer from range anxiety.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

And this is a problem?

You need to decide if the 1100mAh and wireless charging is worth $50 and the lack of customization to you.

For me, it isn't because I don't ever suffer from range anxiety.

I thought I remembered the X being $50, whereas it is starting at $100 on the site. Since the 32GB adds $50, I figured I was missing a coupon somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Super Dude posted:

I thought I remembered the X being $50, whereas it is starting at $100 on the site. Since the 32GB adds $50, I figured I was missing a coupon somewhere.

It was on sale. But it just ended. You could try holding out and see it they have a holiday sale but nobody knows for sure if they will yet.

• Locked thread