Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

axolotl farmer posted:

This part is the coordinates given as degrees, minutes and seconds: 38 20 20.87892(N) 095 11 33.63838(W)

Click the icon that looks like a yellow pin , and enter the numbers so it looks like this:

(Sorry about the moonspeak version of Google Earth)
e: welp pasted the decimals of the seconds wrong

The pin will now be placed in a field in Anderson County, Kansas. In the North-East corner of that field are some things that kind of looks like arrows.

Oh wow, thanks so much! That's so awesome. There are 10 or so within a couple hours of me (including that one) so now we can go check them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Alright, thanks. Yeah I realize this will probably be a pain, but I want to just to say I did and possibly learn something interesting.

There are some really good books about the history of the Bible which might be less painful and more immediately illuminating (and helpful for outside context). The Old Testament makes a lot more sense when you know for a while Judaism was polytheistic, but only worshipped YAHWEH THE TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN WAR GOD.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KnifeWrench posted:

Not natively, but I have found success with Dual Monitor Taskbar
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

At least I think that's what I ended up using. I'm at work, so going from memory.

Edit: I'm using Windows 7, but I would imagine it still works

It does, but not particularly well. I have the wallpaper set to cycle through a bunch of different images and each time it changes the second monitor's taskbar flickers, and for some reason the background colour behind the system tray icons and clock doesn't change with the rest of the taskbar so it looks weird and out of place. Also, to have the start screen be accessible from the second monitor I have to turn on the start menu icon on that monitor, which I'd rather not have.

Anyone know of a similar program that works better with Windows 8?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

YES. Thank you.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

It does, but not particularly well. I have the wallpaper set to cycle through a bunch of different images and each time it changes the second monitor's taskbar flickers, and for some reason the background colour behind the system tray icons and clock doesn't change with the rest of the taskbar so it looks weird and out of place. Also, to have the start screen be accessible from the second monitor I have to turn on the start menu icon on that monitor, which I'd rather not have.

Anyone know of a similar program that works better with Windows 8?

It's not free, but you might want to check out the free trial for Display Fusion.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

unpronounceable posted:

It's not free, but you might want to check out the free trial for Display Fusion.

I used this a while back and it was pretty good. I never had any problems with it and I don't remember wishing it did anything more than it did.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

unpronounceable posted:

Yeah, I saw that one and it does seem to do exactly what I want, but only in the paid version, and I'm not really keen on paying money for such a minor thing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I want to actually read the Bible, what is the most complete version? KJV or NIV? I want something as original as possible.

You might want to check out this thread, there's been discussions on the different translations and what's behind them:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556458

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
There was a really good article in National Geographic about the KJV not too long ago, I'd guess maybe two years back. It was the cover article and a very interesting read.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mr. Squishy posted:

Neither of them edit anything out as the canon's too important to be messed around with on some translator's whims.

The canon of the Bible differs from denomination to denomination within Christianity, actually. Catholic and Orthodox Bibles have more books in the Old Testament, based on early Greek Bibles; Protestant Bibles don't include those books, because they're not found in the Hebrew Torah. This is primarily a Martin Luther thing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AlbieQuirky posted:

The canon of the Bible differs from denomination to denomination within Christianity, actually. Catholic and Orthodox Bibles have more books in the Old Testament, based on early Greek Bibles; Protestant Bibles don't include those books, because they're not found in the Hebrew Torah. This is primarily a Martin Luther thing.

But at the end of Revelation it says that anyone who adds to the Bible w/o God's blessing will have all of the plagues of the Bible visited upon them. Since I don't recall hearing about anyone attacked by locusts and plague and famine all at once, wouldn't logic indicate that the longest version is thereby approved by God and is the most correct version?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I've been taught to refer to corporations as "it" in writing, not "they/their" but I'm assuming I can use "they" to refer to more than one company.

Would "they" be correct in this sentence? : (referring to Coca Cola and Pepsi or something). "Between the two companies, they account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've heard stories of muggers stealing the Social Security cheques of retirees as they are on their way to cash them at the bank. It's been a long, long time since I used a cheque (European here), but I thought cheques have the recipient's name written on them, meaning only the legitimate recipient can cash it, so there is no point trying to steal one.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I've been taught to refer to corporations as "it" in writing, not "they/their" but I'm assuming I can use "they" to refer to more than one company.

Would "they" be correct in this sentence? : (referring to Coca Cola and Pepsi or something). "Between the two companies, they account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"

Of course - what else would you say? "Between the two companies, its account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"?

By the way, referring to individual corporations as "they" is common and accepted in British English.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Disappointing egg posted:

Of course - what else would you say? "Between the two companies, its account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"?

By the way, referring to individual corporations as "they" is common and accepted in British English.

That's what I thought, figured I'd just double check. Thanks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

I've heard stories of muggers stealing the Social Security cheques of retirees as they are on their way to cash them at the bank. It's been a long, long time since I used a cheque (European here), but I thought cheques have the recipient's name written on them, meaning only the legitimate recipient can cash it, so there is no point trying to steal one.

You can endorse a check over to someone else in the US and Canada; you countersign it on the back, then the second party can deposit it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Last year a video was posted online of a Texas judge, William Adams, beating his disabled daughter with a belt. What has happened to this guy so far? Is he in jail or still practicing?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Baron Bifford posted:

What has happened to this guy so far? Is he in jail

Don't be silly.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Last year a video was posted online of a Texas judge, William Adams, beating his disabled daughter with a belt. What has happened to this guy so far? Is he in jail or still practicing?

That was only last year? Sheesh. You could always ask the woman who posted it as she has an account here but that might be sort of insensitive

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Hummingbirds posted:

That was only last year? Sheesh. You could always ask the woman who posted it as she has an account here but that might be sort of insensitive

It was posted in October 2011 to YouTube. He was suspended with pay for one year. He got a public warning from from some state judicial commission. He is up for reelection in 2014.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I know someone who really enjoys chocolate and I want to buy some real good stuff for her from overseas for the holidays. We both live in the middle of the US. I know next to nothing about chocolate other than the international stuff is supposedly the good stuff. How do I make this happen? Will I have to worry about it melting in transit? Best brands? Delivery times?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

I know someone who really enjoys chocolate and I want to buy some real good stuff for her from overseas for the holidays. We both live in the middle of the US. I know next to nothing about chocolate other than the international stuff is supposedly the good stuff. How do I make this happen? Will I have to worry about it melting in transit? Best brands? Delivery times?

Do you want chocolate or chocolates? If it's the latter, then I suggest Norman Love. High quality chocolate, incredible fillings, and absolutely beautiful presentation. It's not from overseas, but I think you will find the quality to be what you want.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sieg posted:

It was posted in October 2011 to YouTube. He was suspended with pay for one year. He got a public warning from from some state judicial commission. He is up for reelection in 2014.

:patriot:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah if someone was going to do this, they'd simply wait for them to walk out the bank with cash and steal that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The money is deposited in the accounts. I'm told that in America for some reason if banks want to transfer money they will actually mail cheques to each other rather than use the Internet.

My question is really whether Social Security sends out cheques that can be cashed by the bearer who presents it to the bank rather than the specific individual it was intended for.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 20, 2013

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Baron Bifford posted:

The money is deposited in the accounts. I'm told that in America for some reason if banks want to transfer money they will actually mail cheques to each other rather than use the Internet.

My question is really whether Social Security sends out cheques that can be cashed by the bearer who presents it to the bank rather than the specific individual it was intended for.

Different banks treat "signing over" checks differently. My wife still occasionally gets checks sent to her maiden name, and our old bank would accept them for deposit from me as long as she'd signed it with both names and initialed the change. Our new bank made her send them a copy of our marriage license after she went in person herself to deposit it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

That isn't true, no banks would mail checks to each other since the clearing systems have been around as far back as the 60s, and banks who couldn't afford to join up shut down long ago.

They are explicitly tied to the person they're for, and the only way to get around that is to find a shady bank or business that's committing a federal felony by ignoring it. If you just straight up grab the check from someone, they're not going to let you cash it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What is the right move to make when you get home from mcdonalds with some food you got from the drive through and part of the order is missing?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You go back there and let them know they screwed up, they'll give you your missing items and maybe a free something or other depending on the place. If you wait til tomorrow they might not care.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I thought so. I'm not making a 20 minute round trip for a pot of salsa dip.

You win this time, Ronald.

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
On an airplane: When are we going to stop turning off our electronic devices while takeoff and landing? It's getting kinda silly now in almost 2014. :downs:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
And now, I bet you'll make a quick spot check every time before you drive off.

Also, McDonalds has salsa dip?

EDIT:
Oh, look at that, I was talking out of my rear end. Removed.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 20, 2013

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They do in the UK. It comes with some cheesey stick things.

I did do a spot check, just not a very good one. They have you over a barrel these people.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Does the font size on the forums look larger to anyone else?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Serious Sam posted:

On an airplane: When are we going to stop turning off our electronic devices while takeoff and landing? It's getting kinda silly now in almost 2014. :downs:

Very soon. Like, in a couple of months soon. At least in the US and the EU. Both are in the final stages of making this possible.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Serious Sam posted:

Search the news, airlines one by one are starting to allow it. Including SouthWest Airlines today.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Does the font size on the forums look larger to anyone else?
Hold CTRL and press 0.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Hold CTRL and press 0.
Thanks!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Hold CTRL and press 0.

Also holding CTRL and using the scroll wheel on your mouse can change it on the fly so that may be how you changed it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Any check can be cashed by anyone who can produce a satisfactory ID matching the name on the check. A fake ID good enough to fool a store clerk is not expensive.