Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue.eyed.ash posted:

My old laptop died and I've been looking at ultrabooks since I travel a fair bit. Thanks to this thread, I've been looking at the Best Buy Yoga 2 Pro, but I noticed that it's only got 4GB of onboard RAM. If I'm looking to buy and keep it for 4-5 years, how realistic is 4GB?

None of my uses are particularly robust - web surfing, Office, GOG.com-era gaming, maybe some Hearthstone. I feel like I could probably get away with it just fine, but something about just not being to upgrade at all has me concerned.

They also carry a 8/256 model for $1200, which is almost certainly worth it if you're planning on keeping the laptop for 4-5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
My Macbook will turn 7 years old in May next year, so it's about time I replaced it. I can budget about $1100 for a new machine, which means the Apple stuff is just outside of my price range(Not to mention the lack of user-upgradability, the only reason this Macbook's made it so far is because I've added RAM and installed a new HD)

I'm basically looking for a machine that will last me for a decent while, preferably has a matte screen and is in the 13-14"(Maybe 15" tops) screen size range. Doesn't have to come with an SSD since I can always add one of those later. I'm looking for something with at least 4GB of RAM(upgradable if need be, I'm handy enough to do it myself), and a good amount of storage space. I have a 1.5TB NAS to store most stuff on, but I'd like to keep some stuff on the machine itself and avoid having to transfer stuff back and forth. I currently get around fairly well with a 320GB HDD and have a spare WD Scorpio Black of that size lying around. I could easily manage with a 256GB SSD, there's a lot of cruft on my current drive that I can offload to the NAS.

Thing is, I have a terrible dislike for the 1366x768 screen resolution most laptops seem to come with these days. I've been looking around, but what I've seen so far appears a bit underwhelming. I plan on using it for basic development work(Visual Studio 2010, no massive projects as I'm mainly a hobbyist coder), occasional Photoshop stuff, and it'd be nice to run some games on it as well, doesn't have to be in native resolution or anything like that.

I've looked at several ultrabooks in the 13" size range, but the big turnoff tends to be screen resolution and storage space. Doesn't have to be an ultrabook though.

Planning to get it late december, so if there's anything of interest coming soon I can wait for it.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm in the market for a new laptop in the 1000-1500$ price range, basically I'm going to be doing my Master's in Computer Science on it, so I need portability. I don't know if my classes / the courses I'll have will require much computing power; I wouldn't think so and if I really need it I can always go for the school computers. I game a bit (a lot), but generally not newer AAA titles and anyway I don't mind having settings on medium.

My friend just got a new Macbook Air and it is quite a beautiful machine, I kinda fell in love with it and was ready to get one but then this thread also turned me on to the Yoga Pro 2 and I gotta say I'm impressed by the touchscreen and the portability. I remember seeing a PC with a touchscreen a few years ago and wasn't impressed, but seeing it in action on youtube, it seems to feel pretty nice.

What I'm wary of is buying a plastic laptop. I'm on an Asus I've had for 3 years right now, and the thing is pretty beat up, and I don't even use it that hard, it's just pretty flimsy. The screen basically hangs on with 1 hinge now. I intend on carrying that computer to and from school all the time in my backpack and I kinda don't want to repeat the experience. That's why I find the Air appealing; brushed aluminium seems like a much more durable component than plastic. Especially the flipping screen thing to make the Yoga into a tablet; it looks like an awesome feature but also like the kind of gadget that will just fall apart after 2 years.

So basically what's turning me off the Yoga Pro right now is processing power (the Mac's CPU seems much faster, however I remember games on mac being pretty lovely) and "ruggedness". Also I could develop apps for iOS. The resolution on the Yoga, however, and the touchscreen, all look amazing. I'd probably install bootcamp if I were to get the Air anyway, how's performance with that?

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 19, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm trying to find a good laptop for my mom in the $600-$800 price range. She'll be using the computer for office work and browsing the internet and almost anything will be faster than what she's currently on (dell dimension desktop with a pentium 4 or something).

I'd like to get her a 14-15.6 inch haswell laptop with a 1600x900 resolution. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've looked at mainly latitudes and the HP elite/probook stuff but they fall out of my price range. I also looked at the T440p but it falls like $80 out of range with the 1600x900 screen and won't be shipping until 12/10 or whenever Lenovo decides to move out a lot of T440ps.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 19, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Colonel J posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop in the 1000-1500$ price range, basically I'm going to be doing my Master's in Computer Science on it, so I need portability. I don't know if my classes / the courses I'll have will require much computing power; I wouldn't think so and if I really need it I can always go for the school computers. I game a bit (a lot), but generally not newer AAA titles and anyway I don't mind having settings on medium.
How about a T440s/p? Right now the T440s $1206.15 with a touchscreen and $1435.65 if you want to bump it up to an i7, but it's a ULV processor like in the MBA. The T440p is $1286.90 with a quad-core i7 and FHD screen. The p also has discrete graphics but you lose some portability and battery life.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

havenwaters posted:

I'm trying to find a good laptop for my mom in the $600-$800 price range. She'll be using the computer for office work and browsing the internet and almost anything will be faster than what she's currently on (dell dimension desktop with a pentium 4 or something).

I'd like to get her a 14-15.6 inch haswell laptop at 1600x900. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've looked at mainly latitudes and the HP elite/probook stuff but they fall out of my price range. I also looked at the T440p but it falls like $80 out of range with the 1600x900 screen and won't be shipping until 12/10 or whenever Lenovo decides to move out a lot of T440ps.

If you can get by without Haswell the t430 or 530 is around 700 with the 1600x900 screen.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How about a T440s/p? Right now the T440s $1206.15 with a touchscreen and $1435.65 if you want to bump it up to an i7, but it's a ULV processor like in the MBA. The T440p is $1286.90 with a quad-core i7 and FHD screen. The p also has discrete graphics but you lose some portability and battery life.

That also looks like a very good computer. Since when is Lenovo such a leader in recommendations? I always regarded as a merely ok budget laptop maker

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Colonel J posted:

That also looks like a very good computer. Since when is Lenovo such a leader in recommendations? I always regarded as a merely ok budget laptop maker

Lenovo's consumer line is a merely ok budget laptop (ideapad, G5xx/7xx series)

The Thinkpad T series are generally top of the line business laptops.

e:

B-Mac posted:

If you can get by without Haswell the t430 or 530 is around 700 with the 1600x900 screen.

Yeah. I think I'm just hoping for some nice deal on amazon or something for a good haswell laptop during black friday. I'm probably being a bit unrealistic and will get a T430/530.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 19, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Oh hey get $10 off and an extra M.2 SSD!

When you click it, you just get a spinner and nothing happens. Fix your loving site, Lenovo.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is this the right place to ask about laptops? My brother wanted to get a new laptop and asked me to run it past other people, since I don't have a clue. It is this thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231238

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06

And his statement:

Thats the laptop. The bigger one is gone off the website it looks like so thats not an option anymore. Pretty much I wanna play games like GW2, TSW and ESO when it comes out on like mediumish settings, Im fine with ~30 FPS

If this is the wrong place, feel free to yell at me!

Synnr fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 20, 2013

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

singe posted:

I'm pretty sure the Yoga 2 Pro wifi issues are real. I've had wifi issues since day 1, mostly through my school's wifi but not at home. I've updated all the drivers (including the one that was released last week). Oddly enough if I use an external wifi adapter everything works fine, so I've been using that temporary fix while Lenovo figures out what's wrong.

Man, I just pulled the trigger on this thing. Now you're starting to worry me. :ohdear:

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I bought a Yoga 2 Pro, got sick of the awful track pad, scaling issues, Win8 ux problems, and bundled crapware. Returned it for a 13" Macbook Pro Retina. Keyboard is better on the Y2P, but that's it. Screen color issues and backlight bleeding coupled with the terrible scaling made the problems outweigh the benefits of the high resolution. Poor battery life too.

I'm not a Mac fan, and I really wanted a Windows computer, but man if this MBPr isn't great. Works straight out of the box, solid build quality, great track pad, great screen, great battery life, and plenty good keyboard. I've been looking for the right Windows laptop for months, and as far as I can tell for me (after several trips to the Windows store and Best Buy) it doesn't exist.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
My X240 is got here today. Here's some impressions from the first hour or so.

The good:
-Build quality is excellent, as should be expected from the thinkpad line.
-Keyboard is excellent.
-The IPS screen is quite nice. Great color quality, and good viewing angles. I strongly suspect many of you will want to wait for the 1080P option, but I really don't mind the 1366x768 on a machine this size. If the upgrade was available and cheap, I probably would have bought it.
-It seems quite fast -- compared to my x120e, its positively lightning, even though I haven't added an SSD yet.

The OK:
-Surprisingly, I don't hate the new touchpad. Its weird that it is slightly springy, but I never click to click on touchpads, I tap. I've used far, far worse touchpads.
-The lack of dedicated buttons is a step down from previous thinkpads, but I hate it less than I thought I would. Having a trackpoint is a plus, and its far from unusable.

The bad:
-Surprisingly to me, there was more crapware installed than I expected. Norton Security, really? Also some bullshit that replaced the start menu button with something with ads in it. For shame, lenovo. Easy enough to uninstall though.
-This is the default desktop. It looks like meth. For those who do, indeed.

I may have some more thoughts after I install a SSD and linux, or after a few more days. Feel free to ask any questions.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there something better new in this price range than this, or something equal but cheaper?

http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/essential/b-series/b590/?sb=:000001CB:00021F41:

In case the site is region filtered:

quote:

$499
Processor:3rd generation Intel Core i3-3110M Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
Operating system:Windows 8 64
System Graphics:Intel HD Graphics 4000
Total memory:4.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
Display type:15.6" HD Glossy with integrated camera 1366x768
Pointing device:Touch pad with two button, supports scroll feature, multi-touch
Hard drive device:500GB 5400 rpm
Optical device:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Battery:6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network card:Lenovo BGN Wireless
Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0
Warranty:One year
Form Factor:Notebook

I haven't been able to find anything else really though prices in australia might be hosed up a bit. I just want something decent without integrated graphics so I can play games from 2007/browse/write/watch stuff in bed.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
You should look at the same priced E431. Slightly better everything, but the screen is 1.5 inches smaller. It has to be said that neither of these laptops has discrete graphics. Any laptop with discrete graphics is going to call for a bigger budget. But you will be able to do what you want with them. HD4000 can easily play games from '07.

You should also look at other brands. Lenovo's products are not anything special, and you might find better deals elsewhere.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 20, 2013

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

havenwaters posted:

I'd like to get her a 14-15.6 inch haswell laptop with a 1600x900 resolution. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've looked at mainly latitudes and the HP elite/probook stuff but they fall out of my price range. I also looked at the T440p but it falls like $80 out of range with the 1600x900 screen and won't be shipping until 12/10 or whenever Lenovo decides to move out a lot of T440ps.

Lenovo L440 should fit your bill.

edit: after you customize it to your liking of course... a bit cheaper than a T440 with a similar config.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 20, 2013

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

P.N.T.M. posted:

You should look at the same priced E431. Slightly better everything, but the screen is 1.5 inches smaller. It has to be said that neither of these laptops has discrete graphics. Any laptop with discrete graphics is going to call for a bigger budget. But you will be able to do what you want with them. HD4000 can easily play games from '07.

You should also look at other brands. Lenovo's products are not anything special, and you might find better deals elsewhere.

Ah I thought the numbered intel gpu's were discrete. Either way they sound pretty decent, I just don't want to be stuck with "Intel HD graphics."

I've checked practically every site I know in AU, along with about 150 pages of ebay listings, and I just haven't been able to find anything much better for the price. Really uneasy about buying refurbished from sellers who refuse to provide pictures of the actual product itself rather than stock photos they found on google.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Spatule posted:

Lenovo L440 should fit your bill.

edit: after you customize it to your liking of course... a bit cheaper than a T440 with a similar config.

Yeah that looks like it'll work. Thanks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just an FYI, on the advice of this thread I put together and ordered a T430 for a Christmas present. When I ordered it on Monday it had an expected ship date of early December. I checked this morning and the ship date had moved to mid January. I called up Lenovo and they said that there were 12 separate components of the order on backorder. They did let me cancel the order though.

If you are hoping to get a T430 for anybody for Christmas, or just for yourself and need it in less than two months, you probably want to look elsewhere.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The thinkpad yoga is out on lenovo's site, but for some reason its stuck at 4GB of memory (and the implication on the customization page is that its non replaceable / upgradeable by the user). Does anyone know if the newegg version has the digitizer / pen support?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

I bought a Yoga 2 Pro, got sick of the awful track pad, scaling issues, Win8 ux problems, and bundled crapware. Returned it for a 13" Macbook Pro Retina. Keyboard is better on the Y2P, but that's it. Screen color issues and backlight bleeding coupled with the terrible scaling made the problems outweigh the benefits of the high resolution. Poor battery life too.

I'm not a Mac fan, and I really wanted a Windows computer, but man if this MBPr isn't great. Works straight out of the box, solid build quality, great track pad, great screen, great battery life, and plenty good keyboard. I've been looking for the right Windows laptop for months, and as far as I can tell for me (after several trips to the Windows store and Best Buy) it doesn't exist.
Hmmm... I've been debating about a MBPr for a while now and I even tried an Macbook Air (2013, 13" model) and loved everything about it except for the TN screen.

How does non-retina content look on the MBPr?

Also, I heard that effective resolution is only 1280x800 which seems awfully small... Does playing games or other content at lower resolutions look blurry?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The thinkpad yoga is out on lenovo's site, but for some reason its stuck at 4GB of memory (and the implication on the customization page is that its non replaceable / upgradeable by the user). Does anyone know if the newegg version has the digitizer / pen support?

You're in the same boat I am, I see. I'd pull the trigger on the NewEgg one right this moment if I could get confirmation it includes the pen. There is a user question outstanding on it, but no one seems to know for sure. Both versions on the Lenovo site at 12.5" include it, so you'd expect it's the same package, but I'm not going to risk over a grand to find out for sure!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Which ThinkPad Yoga are you talking about?

I'm also considering a Lenovo (instead of the MacBook Pro w/Retina) because my "ideal" laptop is a convertible with a touchscreen and the ThinkPad/IdeaPads look really nice.

Are you talking about the Yoga 11S? (I'm guessing not since you said 12.5 screen...)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Which ThinkPad Yoga are you talking about?

I'm also considering a Lenovo (instead of the MacBook Pro w/Retina) because my "ideal" laptop is a convertible with a touchscreen and the ThinkPad/IdeaPads look really nice.

Are you talking about the Yoga 11S? (I'm guessing not since you said 12.5 screen...)

No. The Thinkpad Yoga

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga/

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I need a small laptop to do some work while on the road, and I'm looking to spend under $400. I've read the first post, but I honestly can't spare more than that. I saw these two Open Box deals earlier and was wondering if you guys could weigh in on them.

Asus: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-op...82.323654&rd=25

Acer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-op...82.323654&rd=25

Thanks!

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 20, 2013

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm... I've been debating about a MBPr for a while now and I even tried an Macbook Air (2013, 13" model) and loved everything about it except for the TN screen.

How does non-retina content look on the MBPr?

Also, I heard that effective resolution is only 1280x800 which seems awfully small... Does playing games or other content at lower resolutions look blurry?

Everything so far looks fine. You can also adjust the scaling up and down to show more or less on screen. Seems to work fine for everything.

I thought the convertible with touchscreen thing sounded awesome, but I realized I was only using touch as a crutch for the lovely trackpad, and the tablet mode while cool is just too drat big and heavy to use in a comfortable way. I still think the model with digitizer is appealing for art or notes, but I'd rather have a dedicated tablet that's lightweight with good battery for that. That said, if you want an extremely HD screen, the cheapest Y2P is a good price.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was surprised to see you hated the touchpad on the Yoga 2 Pro so much, but then I remembered I fiddled with it immediately so out of the box it might be quite a bit worse. I turned off palm detection thanks to advice I saw here, then ended up installing a recent touchpad driver for the original Yoga because I hate the reverse scrolling direction and couldn't toggle it in the standard Yoga 2 Pro drivers.

With those changes, at least, I've found the touchpad quite good. Easily better than the Zenbook Prime I had previously, though it was solid too. No jumping cursor, smooth movements, multi finger gestures have worked every time. No complaints :shrug:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AriTheDog posted:

Everything so far looks fine. You can also adjust the scaling up and down to show more or less on screen. Seems to work fine for everything.

I thought the convertible with touchscreen thing sounded awesome, but I realized I was only using touch as a crutch for the lovely trackpad, and the tablet mode while cool is just too drat big and heavy to use in a comfortable way. I still think the model with digitizer is appealing for art or notes, but I'd rather have a dedicated tablet that's lightweight with good battery for that. That said, if you want an extremely HD screen, the cheapest Y2P is a good price.

Conversely, I have no problems whatsoever with the trackpad. The keyboard isn't great by Lenovo standards, but every other aspect of build quality is up to par with my rMBP, with better battery life, less weight, and less scaling problems (unless you have real issues with pentile).

Everyone should wipe their Yogas to get rid of the crapware and tweak the synaptics options, but these are things you expect to do in a windows machine anyway.

I don't think the touchscreen, tablet mode, tent mode, or whatever the other mode is are useful at at all, but it's a better Macbook than macbooks assuming your criteria are: weight, battery life, and resolution, and I don't really give a drat about anything else.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
Is the difference between the ULV processors and the full speed ones not very much? It seems like everything new and nice is an ultrabook. Should I not worry? Only tasks I really will be doing is visual studio 2012 and maybe some light gaming like indie games and source games, sc2, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

snoozeallday posted:

Is the difference between the ULV processors and the full speed ones not very much? It seems like everything new and nice is an ultrabook. Should I not worry? Only tasks I really will be doing is visual studio 2012 and maybe some light gaming like indie games and source games, sc2, etc.

Don't worry about it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I saw the thing in the OP about $500 laptops being poo poo, but I saw this:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-3537/pd?oc=dnpcc204h&model_id=inspiron-15-3537

And it seems to be everything I'm in the market for at right about that magic price, right down to 4th gen I5 core. Am I missing something here, because this seems like a quality machine.

I'd use it for Office stuff, Internet stuff, and moderate gaming (nothing too elaborate...I currently have an Intel 4000 graphic chip and have never encountered a situation where that was a problem, and this guy has a 4400).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looking at the specs it's typical for a $500 laptop. Bad screen, slow hard drive, tiny battery.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Build quality on every Inspiron I've ever seen has also been dreadful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anybody have thoughts on a good USB CD rom? I bought one from NewEgg once upon a time and it died pretty quickly so I'd like a recomendation from somebody who's used one.

I guess my mom wants to rip a bunch of CDs in iTunes but I'm getting her a laptop without a drive, so she'll be needing one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GokieKS posted:

Build quality on every Inspiron I've ever seen has also been dreadful.

That never used to be quite true; back in the day (what, early 2000s or so) the Inspirons were just rebranded Latitudes that were just rebranded Precisions. Sometimes you were a BIOS flash away to some artificially locked out feature, like lower RAM speed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Anybody have thoughts on a good USB CD rom? I bought one from NewEgg once upon a time and it died pretty quickly so I'd like a recomendation from somebody who's used one.

I have this Samsung model which I've used for about a year, it probably has 150 hrs of netflix DVD watching on it. It needs two USB ports to power it but hey at least you don't need a dedicated power supply. Case is pretty springy to avoid damage with impacts and seems to have no problems bouncing around in my bag. Mine is sky blue but they all seem to be about the same. They run about $27-35 depending on how you visit the site (one of those dynamically priced items).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

HalloKitty posted:

That never used to be quite true; back in the day (what, early 2000s or so) the Inspirons were just rebranded Latitudes that were just rebranded Precisions. Sometimes you were a BIOS flash away to some artificially locked out feature, like lower RAM speed.

Fine, every Inspiron I can remember. Certainly all the ones I've come across in the last 5 to 8 years have been dreadful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

For what it's worth, the Aussie site let me order 8gb.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Seems like you have to upgrade the CPU to the i5 option to be able to upgrade the RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, as someone who has to look at that stupid Lenovo desktop on every machine I deploy to clients I can safely say that that desktop background is truly boring slash terrible.