Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
This is an Apple Store question that I couldn't find a straight answer for online. If I open the packaging on an apple accessory can I still return it? I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter and just want to try it out. I have to rip the packaging apart to open it up. Will I incur a restocking fee or anything when I try to return it to the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

suddenlyissoon posted:

My work just decided I could order a new laptop so I spec'd out a rMBP 13' with 16gb RAM and Apple's saying 3-4 weeks before shipping. Is this a worst case sort of deal or is it a definite thing? I was thinking about dropping it down to 8gb just so I could get it next week...worth it?

What are you going to be doing at work? 8GB is great unless you're running 3 VM's or working with huuuge images and video.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Bob Morales posted:

What are you going to be doing at work? 8GB is great unless you're running 3 VM's or working with huuuge images and video.

Well, I really was just trying to future proof it for a while. I only get a new laptop every 3 or 4 years and didn't want to get screwed somewhere soon down the line. I honestly wanted the Air, but I really don't know if I can go back to a lower res screen. In terms of what I do...well, really I don't do anything. It's just something I keep at my house in case something breaks at work and mainly use it for my own personal reasons.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

My work just decided I could order a new laptop so I spec'd out a rMBP 13' with 16gb RAM and Apple's saying 3-4 weeks before shipping. Is this a worst case sort of deal or is it a definite thing? I was thinking about dropping it down to 8gb just so I could get it next week...worth it?
Can B&H get it to you more quickly? They have BTO configurations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can B&H get it to you more quickly? They have BTO configurations.

Unfortunately since it's for work we either have to go directly through Dell or Apple. Completely stupid, but that's the way it works.

Yeah, I could get a 13 rMBP 2.6 & 512gb SSD with 8gb, 15 rMBP base config or 13 Air completely spec'd out which all ship within 24 hours. Or if I want 16gb I've gotta apparently wait for 3-4 weeks.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

suddenlyissoon posted:

You realize if you drop it down you're never getting 16gb of ram in there right? You can't wait potentially a month to get a machine that fits your computing requirements?

I also did not want to wait, and decided I wanted more computer, so I got the stock 15inch model that comes with 16gb.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I have a 13" 2011 MacBook Air, and also use of a 2012 one as that is my work machine.

I'm casually thinking of upgrading my own Air to a MacBook Pro Retina, given that the size/weight seems pretty comparable to an Air nowadays.

This means my first decision is the age-old 13" v 15". My own machine wouldn't be ported about _that_ much, compared to the work one which always travels, but curious as to how others have found this comparison in making their own choices...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pretty good deal on a maxed out last-gen 15" rMBP in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584453

He dropped it to $1800 then bumped again asking for low-balls.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Hope I'm posting in the right place. Is it a bad idea to get a non-oem battery for my 2008 15 MBP?

I was recommended this @ 1/2 the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Macbo...ro+2008+battery

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

From what everyone has said in this thread before, no, never go third party batteries.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

thanks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yellowjournalism posted:

This is an Apple Store question that I couldn't find a straight answer for online. If I open the packaging on an apple accessory can I still return it? I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter and just want to try it out. I have to rip the packaging apart to open it up. Will I incur a restocking fee or anything when I try to return it to the store?

There are no restocking fees.

Also why do you have to rip open the packaging? can't you just carefully open it? Are you Bruce Banner IRL?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pretty good deal on a maxed out last-gen 15" rMBP in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584453

He dropped it to $1800 then bumped again asking for low-balls.
Holy poo poo another one! :psyduck:

Why are these guys making it so hard for to spend almost double that on a 2013 model. :mad:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Why are these guys making it so hard for to spend almost double that on a 2013 model. :mad:

Haha, I was going to get the base 2013 15", but then somebody offered me a 2012 15" rMBP (2.7GHz / 16GB / 512GB) with AppleCare for another 2 years for $1500, and the price was so good that I just couldn't pass it up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

GokieKS posted:

Haha, I was going to get the base 2013 15", but then somebody offered me a 2012 15" rMBP (2.7GHz / 16GB / 512GB) with AppleCare for another 2 years for $1500, and the price was so good that I just couldn't pass it up.

Yep is pretty much liked to have saved $1000 and gone that route.

But now I will have thunderbolt 2 for all my thunderbolt devices I don't own.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

colas posted:

Hope I'm posting in the right place. Is it a bad idea to get a non-oem battery for my 2008 15 MBP?

I was recommended this @ 1/2 the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Macbo...ro+2008+battery

The only non-OEM batteries you should buy are the NewerTech NuPowers and I don't think they even make one for unibodies.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Mewcenary posted:

I have a 13" 2011 MacBook Air, and also use of a 2012 one as that is my work machine.

I'm casually thinking of upgrading my own Air to a MacBook Pro Retina, given that the size/weight seems pretty comparable to an Air nowadays.

This means my first decision is the age-old 13" v 15". My own machine wouldn't be ported about _that_ much, compared to the work one which always travels, but curious as to how others have found this comparison in making their own choices...

I really like the retina display, so much that I can't even stand looking at my 24" secondary monitor anymore, it looks so much better. A coworker actually got a stand to raise up his new macbook and uses the smaller screen for development and now uses his 24" monitor solely for itunes and email. The retina display alone was worth the upgrade from my 2011 macbook pro.

As for monitor size, I guess it depends on what you are doing. I do windows software development in a VM and I used to have a 17" macbook pro. I really miss the extra real estate, there is no way I would want to do what I do on a 13" display. Sometimes even itunes feels scrunched, again, coming from a 17" display though.

If you aren't going to move it around much though, then I guess thats a good argument to just get the biggest display you can. If you can afford to get the highest end 15" model, you will get the better video card too if you do any gaming.

For RAM, I got 16gb. With that I can run windows 7 in a VM with 4gb allocated to it and have mac os x not suck. Doing that with 8gb really sucks. I wish 32gb was available.

Again though, the RAM you need really depends on what you are going to do with this thing. A lot of people would be fine with 8gb.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

FCKGW posted:

There are no restocking fees.

Also why do you have to rip open the packaging? can't you just carefully open it? Are you Bruce Banner IRL?

Haha no I just mean that the packaging is designed such that you can't neatly take it apart. It's all sealed in ways that require you to cut and otherwise render the packaging unreusable so I was just worried they might consider that "not in original packaging."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

yellowjournalism posted:

Haha no I just mean that the packaging is designed such that you can't neatly take it apart. It's all sealed in ways that require you to cut and otherwise render the packaging unreusable so I was just worried they might consider that "not in original packaging."

No, because no major retail outlet on the planet does this.

If I want to return a pair of pants to Macy's after taking all of the tags off, I can still bring back the tags with the pants and everything's fine. They don't go "this isn't the original packaging because the tags aren't attached."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I just bought a macbook 5,2 (as in the white plastic one) and wondering how much better would my computer experience be with an SSD?

But also added to that: Why do goons hate some SSD's and love others? Is there something to it or is it just goons being goons?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

But also added to that: Why do goons hate some SSD's and love others? Is there something to it or is it just goons being goons?
Because some of them are legitimately bad.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Because some of them are legitimately bad.

Goons, that is.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

I just bought a macbook 5,2 (as in the white plastic one) and wondering how much better would my computer experience be with an SSD?

Please, check out the SSD thread!

Different SSDs have good and bad reliability records. If 100 of SSD "A" are sold and 100 of SSD "B" are sold, but then then 30% of SSD "A" is returned due to failure, you'd know to avoid SSD "A" for a while.
Intel and Samsung are at the top of the list for reliability, OCZ is at the bottom.

Different SSDs use different controllers. Samsung uses its own in-house stuff. It has great benchmark numbers, but may not hold up the best under heavy-load scenarios or paired with an OS that doesn't support TRIM. Samsung would probably work great for the typical Windows 7+ user.
Intel and others go with a SandForce controller. They may not get the performance numbers like the Samsung drives, but their performance is more consistent under the heaviest of loads. Not only that, the drives have active "garbage collection" (a way of self-maintaining) and will work great on the widest variety of systems (new and old versions of Windows, Mac OS X, PS3 and PS4, etc).

Different SSDs use different types of flash storage chips. Some are cheap and apparently reliable, enough but still have a relatively low number of maximum program/erase cycles before they will fail. Basically, under typical usage the drive could be dead in 5 years. Other types of flash storage chips may support several times more program/erase cycles, and work better with heavier use or last for more than 5 years.

For most users (regardless of OS or age of system), I would recommend a quality SandForce 2200-based SSD:

Intel 530, SanDisk Extreme, Mushkin Chronos Enhanced, or OWC Mercury Extreme.

Unfortunately, a lot of the drives out there are on a big *AVOID* list due to quality or design issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I would not get a Sandforce drive on a 5,2 since it has the poo poo NVIDIA SATA controller.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I would not get a Sandforce drive on a 5,2 since it has the poo poo NVIDIA SATA controller.

SanDisk Extreme has a firmware you can flash that is *specifically* for weird SATA controllers found in several Macs. I've had to use it already. It works great.

So yes, I still recommend a SandForce drive (SanDisk Extreme) for that system.

I've purchased around two dozen SandForce SSDs for all kinds of old systems - even ancient PowerPC Macs that only have a SATA I interface. It still makes a night & day difference.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No, because no major retail outlet on the planet does this.

If I want to return a pair of pants to Macy's after taking all of the tags off, I can still bring back the tags with the pants and everything's fine. They don't go "this isn't the original packaging because the tags aren't attached."

Haha trust me dude there are plenty of places that will only accept returns in sealed packaging. Thanks anyways guys.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

SanDisk Extreme has a firmware you can flash that is *specifically* for weird SATA controllers found in several Macs. I've had to use it already. It works great.

So does OWC and OCZ, but they can still act weird. Plenty of people have them work fine, though. But I've had it happen in my own machines and I'd just save the potential headache and go with another drive.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Is a macbook air powerful enough for a 27'' thunderbolt display? Mostly concerned about the 2560 by 1440 resolution.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Is a macbook air powerful enough for a 27'' thunderbolt display? Mostly concerned about the 2560 by 1440 resolution.
Depends what you intend to do, but I'd say for normal use yeah it should be fine. Don't expect to get too fancy with gaming at full res or anything like that but it'll be fine for the usual computery stuff. If you have an Apple Store nearby you might be able to ask to test that out to see for yourself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Air's got a better gpu than the Mac mini (probably going to be equal when they finally do a refresh), and they advertise that thing (and display it in-store) with the Thunderbolt display.

The computer might get hot if you try any moderate gaming but that's about it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 22, 2013

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

So does OWC and OCZ, but they can still act weird. Plenty of people have them work fine, though. But I've had it happen in my own machines and I'd just save the potential headache and go with another drive.

What does this weirdness consist of and what models of Mac does it affect? I've got some strange lag with a Mac mini (2011 I think) but I was assuming it was due to the hard drive in the fusion drive setup. Might it be the SSD?

Edit: Googling seems to tell me it's a hibernation-related issue. If that's correct it isn't the problem I'm seeing.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 22, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

What does this weirdness consist of and what models of Mac does it affect? I've got some strange lag with a Mac mini (2011 I think) but I was assuming it was due to the hard drive in the fusion drive setup. Might it be the SSD?

Edit: Googling seems to tell me it's a hibernation-related issue. If that's correct it isn't the problem I'm seeing.

Various issues with the 2009 and 2010 models that used the NVIDIA CHIPSET. Stuttering and beach balling and not waking up or not going to sleep.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Neat, I have not been to an apple store in a while so I didn't know they had them hooked up for display. No gaming for me only hd video files, my little netbook couldn't display 1080p files (even though it has an hdmi out) so that's why I ask.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Airs have HD4000 graphics which push the Retina displays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The Airs havehad HD4000 graphics which push the Retina displays.

Fixed that for you.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Just managed to sell a 2007 3,1 MBP on Craigslist for $250 (cdn). It had no battery at all (it expanded drastically one day) and no upgrades. It had had the motherboard replaced because of the nVidia 8600 soldering fault but other than that was just normal wear and tear.

Can't believe I got that much for it, especially with no battery. And the guy buying it new exactly what he was going to do with it - ram, aftermarket battery, small ssd.

I'm replacing it (it was just a media computer for the tv now) with an AirPort Extreme (to put all the external hds on) and an Apple TV. I'm then going to stream from my 2011 MBP to the Apple TV.

Does this sound like a sane set up? The old MBP was unable to play 1080 and was struggling with 720.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

The Airs have had HD4000 graphics which push the Retina displays.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, the Mid 2013 13-inch and 11-inch Airs, they ALL have Intel HD 5000 GPUs which take up to 1 GB of main RAM. Snap out of it!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Does Apple usually do any Black Friday discounts for CTO MBPs? Should I order this thing now or wait? (I could use it sooner for some actual things)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't think Apple does black friday sales, but some of the retailers (Best Buy) have sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
They do, but I don't remember them ever being better deals than everyday prices elsewhere online. You can check past years BF ads on places like slickdeals.