Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
In my experience they're just as sturdy as the old covers. I don't really use it for the cover so much as a flexible stand that easily stays with the iPad, and for that it's just as good as the old ones were.

In comparison to the old covers the prices are pretty much the same anyway. If you were happy with the old one you'll probably be fine with the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DarkJC posted:

In my experience they're just as sturdy as the old covers. I don't really use it for the cover so much as a flexible stand that easily stays with the iPad, and for that it's just as good as the old ones were.

In comparison to the old covers the prices are pretty much the same anyway. If you were happy with the old one you'll probably be fine with the new one.

I like the new smart case, but it's no where near as good a stand as the old 4-fold smart cover. When you made the triangle it stayed in that shape. I've had the 3-fold cover fall apart on me when it gets moved around much at all (including light turbulence on an airplane).

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

fordan posted:

I like the new smart case, but it's no where near as good a stand as the old 4-fold smart cover. When you made the triangle it stayed in that shape. I've had the 3-fold cover fall apart on me when it gets moved around much at all (including light turbulence on an airplane).

Stop folding it backwards.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I fold it felt side outwards, and when in that position it seems just as strong as the 4-fold cover.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You're holding folding it wrong.

Out for Delivery :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

DarkJC posted:

I fold it felt side outwards, and when in that position it seems just as strong as the 4-fold cover.

Same here. I'm currently tipping it back and forth, far beyond any normal use, and the cover is staying put and the iPad is not falling.
If I fold it the other way, the slightest bump will make it drop.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DarkJC posted:

Pretty sure I'm not folding it wrong and am doing felt out (would be happy to hear otherwise), but the short end flap that actually supports the back of the case doesn't have a strong magnetic hold and breaks free too easily for me. Not saying it's general a decent hold (and I love the case weight and protection) but the 4-fold cover almost never fell over on me and this one does occasionally.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I hated the new Smart Cover for not being able to fold in half but now I just lay it fully flat backwards and the magnet holds it well enough. The hinge is a thousand times better than the old Smart Cover.

I use it as a stand all the time. Felt side out is stable and flat for me.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

supersteve posted:

They went from 4 panels down to 3 and people hate change.

I have one and it's awesome.

People fold them plastic side out and they don't stand. Once they realise it's felt side out they think they are fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Problem is that the felt side goes against the screen so having the felt side also be the side that is in contact with whatever grimy surface the stand might be resting on is less than ideal.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

withak posted:

Problem is that the felt side goes against the screen so having the felt side also be the side that is in contact with whatever grimy surface the stand might be resting on is less than ideal.

Same as the older model, I worried about it but never had a problem.
One thing I've noticed is much better about the 3 fold model, the larger panels mean it doesn't fall over backwards when I swipe and tap the screen. The new design makes sense to me now as that was my only complaint with the old one.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RustedChrome posted:

Same as the older model, I worried about it but never had a problem.

I found that the appearance of the felt went downhill fast, but, yeah, it was never a problem as far as the screen goes. Just brush off your desk or table or whatever before you stand it up and maybe give the felt a quick brush before you close it if you're all that worried.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Case talk, because it's always fascinating. I bought the leather case for my Air on day one, then ordered a Roocase Origami a few days later because it was cheap and I got a deal. I only use the Roocase, it's lighter and less intrusive and let's me put my ipad in all kinds (or 3) positions that are more stable than the Apple case. I'm very happpy with the purchase. I had eggs for breakfast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

porktree posted:

Case talk, because it's always fascinating. I bought the leather case for my Air on day one, then ordered a Roocase Origami a few days later because it was cheap and I got a deal. I only use the Roocase, it's lighter and less intrusive and let's me put my ipad in all kinds (or 3) positions that are more stable than the Apple case. I'm very happpy with the purchase. I had eggs for breakfast.

Thanks for the positive review on this pork, I've been looking for a good case and you may have sealed it right here. What color did you get?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is much more of a general iOS question than an iPad one, but is there a way to divorce language setting from the keyboard? For various reasons I tend to type with a Scandinavian keyboard layout but in English (most of the time). The problem is when I hop on my iPad my choices are either screwing up my Swedish dictionary by plowing through it with English and hoping autocorrect doesn't randomly drop Swedish everywhere, or having all me special characters moved around in a really useless way for me. Can I have a Swedish keyboard with English autocorrect enabled?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is much more of a general iOS question than an iPad one, but is there a way to divorce language setting from the keyboard? For various reasons I tend to type with a Scandinavian keyboard layout but in English (most of the time). The problem is when I hop on my iPad my choices are either screwing up my Swedish dictionary by plowing through it with English and hoping autocorrect doesn't randomly drop Swedish everywhere, or having all me special characters moved around in a really useless way for me. Can I have a Swedish keyboard with English autocorrect enabled?

No.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Well that seems like super lovely design.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not really. An American English keyboard will give you American English spellcheck. Switch between the 2 (with one button) is your answer.

Super lovely design?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The layouts are totally different.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The layouts are totally different.

Not for an American.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The keyboard layout between American English and Swedish is still super different.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey guys my super edge case scenario not being supported by Apple makes it a lovely design.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just pick a language and stick with it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Bung Harmer posted:

Hey guys my super edge case scenario not being supported by Apple makes it a lovely design.

Bilingual people are hardly an edge-case scenario, and most people who are bilingual still type with one kind of keyboard. It's bad design.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Bilingual people are hardly an edge-case scenario, and most people who are bilingual still type with one kind of keyboard. It's bad design.

Am I missing something? Switch to one language keyboard when typing in one language, switch to other language keyboard when typing in another. It's literally one button press.

I mean I really hope I'm missing something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But I prefer to type in icelandic on the urdu keyboard.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I mean I really hope I'm missing something.

Basic characters like ' are totally different keystroke combinations, if you are totally used to a different keyboard it's really disruptive to typing, for example pretty much every time I type a word like "they're" I end up typing @they\re@ because stuff's all moved around.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You're talking about using an onscreen keyboard, right? I can't speak for everyone, but I definitely had to adjust my typing anyway when using iOS' onscreen keyboard, even when using my native language and keyboard layout.

I can see it being a legitimate complaint, but it totally is an edge case whether or not you want to accept it. Go sperg out on Android if you absolutely must have your edge case needs met, or be like the rest of us cool kids and just deal with it, probably by spending like 5 minutes to learn how to get used to using the other layout.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I use an apple wireless keyboard. Can't I be cool and sperg? :saddowns:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Hang on, couldn't you just turn off the 'check spelling' feature? And then you could type whatever language you want with whatever keyboard layout you want without iOS being all fuckity with your words?

I mean, I can kind of understand what you're after, but it seems you'll have to switch between the autocorrect languages when you change the language you're typing in, which to me seems more inconvenient than switching keyboard layouts, and even more inconvenient than just using the keyboard layout for the language you type in most often and disabling spellcheck when it gets bothersome.

rohan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 21, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
edit: I'm a divvy

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 21, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

All edge cases are dumb, until Apple handles them, at which point they become "the little things that show Apple cares more."

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
For the record: do not use a Google Voice number as your SMS authentication phone number for iCloud Keychain. It seems like the texts just don't go through, and if you make that mistake, the only way of getting it fixed is calling up AppleCare and having them override the system. I spent almost an hour on the phone yesterday, as a result.

brettster55
Aug 7, 2013

The TV commercial makes it look even harder to pickup than it is now.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

brettster55 posted:

The TV commercial makes it look even harder to pickup than it is now.

With your hands, you mean? It might be a little more difficult to do it one-handed, but not especially.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Sent my Switcheasy Canvas back to Amazon and went and picked up the Apple Leather Smart Case (Product Red) tonight. I love the feel of it, and the fact that my iPad Mini still feels thin in it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

gently caress all y'all I have been extolling the smart case for the last three weeks and now you all come to the conclusion that it is the bee's knees.

Unrelated- my wife's retina mini is pretty sweet (with girly blue smart case too) but I am not convinced that I would trade in my air for it. I appreciate the larger screen, I guess. At least she loves it, and now that leave the OG mini to the kids.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Turnquiet posted:

gently caress all y'all I have been extolling the smart case for the last three weeks and now you all come to the conclusion that it is the bee's knees.

Unrelated- my wife's retina mini is pretty sweet (with girly blue smart case too) but I am not convinced that I would trade in my air for it. I appreciate the larger screen, I guess. At least she loves it, and now that leave the OG mini to the kids.

I got my PRODUCT RED iPad(tm) Air Smart(tm)Case(tm)(c) and while it's extremely cool, I got used to the lightness of the naked iPad. With the smart case it feels about as heavy as maybe an iPad2. Not sure if I want to keep it on.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sometimes the ipad keyboard lags on the reply window here and messes up my typing. Usually by not hitting spacebar when it should. Anyone else dealt with this? I had to fix this reply 2 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
So what was a simple, somewhat noticeable but not really long crack in my mini has become a full on shattered screen. I don't know how it happened but it has forced my hand. I'm going to pick up a mini retina tomorrow morning but I'm wondering what I can expect for selling the busted mini. I'd be happy with $150 and it seems like that's feasible but I want to be realistic and sell it as quickly as possible. Would I do well to just cut my losses and put it out there for $100?

e: It appears I spoke to sooon the retina mini's availability at retail stores. All the same, I am planning to sell the cracked one and would appreciate advice. Thanks

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 22, 2013