Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

drukqs posted:

Have kind of a ridiculous request from our VP of sales...

"I need an Apple product ideally, a [bluetooth speakerphone] with multiple remote mics"

"We have 12+ people sitting around an oblong table and it is awkward and difficult for them to have their voices heard from a single unit"

He says that he used a cellular device designed for this purpose and it cost over $4500 to have an hour long meeting, so he wants something that he can connect to his Macbook Pro that has multiple remote mics.

Insanity.

Anybody have any suggestions?

<edit> Polycom sales chat was quite competent and responsive.. SoundStation EX2, 2 pack of remote mics and their "mobile device conference cable" something to that effect.

I'm just glad I'm not going to be the one lugging all this junk around the world with me...

The wired Polycom Soundstations are pretty good, we use them a lot. The wireless one I have mixed reviews for, seems like it loses contact with the base station and users don't ever check until the conference call is in 20 seconds-- usually have to do a full power cycle on the unit, including pulling the battery. Once they're synced with the base they're good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason a SoundStation 2 used to be the only phone connected to my land line, I think it was all I could find when I needed to check if the line was active and I just left it connected. The audio quality on them is excellent, with the downsides that no private conversions could happen in my house.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
One of my clients purchased some laptops from another IT firm/vendor. All were preloaded with Office 2013 and setup for the user they were assigned to by them directly before they were delivered. We just learned all the product keys are tied/registered to an email address of a single individual at the IT firm and NOT my client.

They thought, "You can just change it to whomever, later."

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I can add to the Polycom soundstations being the answer to almost all pstn conference phone needs. had reasonable results with http://www.phnxaudio.com/default.aspx?site=product stuff lately for computer audio.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

crashdome posted:

One of my clients purchased some laptops from another IT firm/vendor. All were preloaded with Office 2013 and setup for the user they were assigned to by them directly before they were delivered. We just learned all the product keys are tied/registered to an email address of a single individual at the IT firm and NOT my client.

Oh God. Have fun with that one. I think we're not going to 2013 on our Windows 8 build.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a bunch of Polycom crap. We've had an annoying number of equipment failures over five years or so, but "an annoying number" is like 3 -- it's just that they don't get used that much and so when we're informed they're being used on zero notice it's a problem if they've silently failed and we don't know. Make sure wherever you put the main codec unit is properly ventilated. The call quality is pretty good and they're straightforward to use when they're set up. Even their ceiling mics are pretty good. (Do not under any circumstances let them give you lovely battery-powered table mics.)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vin BioEthanol posted:

What kind of fan and dock connector failure rate you have on t410s? I only have about 50 of those, about 150 400s and 150 420s but I've probably called in close to every 410 for fan and dock connector.
We don't use docking station so I can't tell you about those, but we've had a fair share of fan errors. Don't have the exact statistics, maybe ~3%.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The T410s we have have a horrible failure rate on their fans. I asked our usual warranty repair guy about the issue, and he said that Lenovo skimped on the fans and went with nylon bearings instead of brass. Now all the fans are failing and are being replaced with proper fans.

Luckily we have the top-tier service on all our laptops. When I needed a fan replacement on the laptop I use the repair guy happily drove out to our summer cottage and replaced the fan on a scheduled time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We're moving to HP Elitebooks and had to replace the fans for all of them, because of shoddy cabling the fans were either alwasy blowing, or never blowing. That's thousands of laptops they had to fix in a few weeks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Which Elitebooks? We've been using them for years and I've yet had to do that. Of course I don't really check, but we haven't had any die on us.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
I've used Konftel 300m a lot for conference calls. works good, no issues.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

crashdome posted:

I currently have 8 licenses tied to my work e-mail account for the same reason. I was setting them up for a site we just took over and I didn't have any details on the staff. The best part is there is no way to figure out which is which on the MS website, as it doesn't show the product keys. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I ever need to reinstall a copy, as I can't view the license number on the website or anything...

Outlook 2013 is also the worst piece of crap ever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A c E posted:

I currently have 8 licenses tied to my work e-mail account for the same reason. I was setting them up for a site we just took over and I didn't have any details on the staff. The best part is there is no way to figure out which is which on the MS website, as it doesn't show the product keys. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I ever need to reinstall a copy, as I can't view the license number on the website or anything...

Outlook 2013 is also the worst piece of crap ever.

I have been assured repeatedly over the phone by MS support that you can use any of those installers at a later date.

No, I have no idea how that is supposed to work either.

You actually can see a CD key for each install if you click on "Install from a disc." Note that I said "a", not "the." That's because the key the website shows is totally different from and seemingly has no correlation to the original one used to install Office!

I really love the Office programs themselves but holy loving poo poo the licensing for 2013 is beyond abysmal.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Office crashing on every application. Quick repair didn't fix the issue. Picked online repair, it uninstalled Office. The gently caress?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Office crashing on every application. Quick repair didn't fix the issue. Picked online repair, it uninstalled Office. The gently caress?

Problem fixed. Office no longer crashes.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Office 2013: The Real cost of Office

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

These types of situations with office end up being pretty brutal. You didn't happen to do an upgrade installation on this box did you?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm actually glad we made the switch to OpenOffice/LibreOffice some time ago.

We do have a handful of Excel 2010 and 2013 licenses for a app we use (its really an Excel macro). The users that have Excel use it only for the macro app and prefer to use LibreOffice Calc for normal spreadsheets over the real Excel!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My favorite part of office 2013 is that if file associations get messed up there is no easy way to reassociate them to the correct office product because there is no exe file.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Khisanth Magus posted:

My favorite part of office 2013 is that if file associations get messed up there is no easy way to reassociate them to the correct office product because there is no exe file.

My favourite part is how Outlook 2013 doesn't actually work with IMAP and doesn't allow you to configure it fully.

I have my work e-mail account set up in Outlook 2013 on my work laptop and my home desktop, as well as my Android phone. Settings are exactly the same across the board.

Delete/move an e-mail on my laptop, e-mail is left in my inbox on my desktop/phone.
Delete/move an e-mail from my desktop, e-mail is left in my inbox on my laptop/phone.
Delete/move an e-mail from my phone, e-mail is moved/delete properly in all inboxes.

Same can be said about my personal e-mail. Phone works perfectly, but Outlook decides to stop syncing with my server randomly and I have to re-setup the account.

Then we get into the retarded folder issues. I have a "Junk Mail" folder on my work e-mail account, everything, including Outlook 2010 was able to use this, but Outlook 2013 can't, so it made a new folder "Junk Mail1". No way to alter this, even if I rename the folder Outlook made through webmail and re-setup the account in Outlook.

The rest of our users have a ton of duplicate folders in their Outlooks, like "Sent(This computer only)" where their Sent mail is sent to, despite the fact that we have a Sent folder which works perfectly fine on my Outlook. Microsoft decide that user's can't map their own folders, so if it can't figure out the sent folder, you are stuck with the messages sent from that computer only appearing on that computer. I miss 2010.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
A Work Item Came In Today...

7% of our desktops/laptops don't have antivirus because a GPO was checking the version wrong and rolled them back uninstalled it before the 'really smart internal admin' turned it off. Guess I'll be busy for awhile.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sickening posted:

These types of situations with office end up being pretty brutal. You didn't happen to do an upgrade installation on this box did you?

I'm not sure; I was simply assigned the call. The client has a sysadmin who, thankfully, could see the funny side. I'm reinstalling it now.

Also gently caress people who wait until 1730 to log a call, and then call up every 5 minutes until it's done.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
So I work for a pro sports team, and I get a call asking me to check out some ipads that are set up for public use, as a kiosk, to only access a newspaper. Between losing my mind because people keep finding/using pins to jam into the home button, which will also them to close the kiosk software (what?) apparently an iOS update broke restrictions which led to someone adding a personal email account to the device. In public. At a sports venue. Then, queue outrage as very quickly this person realized that, oh hey, it won't let me remove my account!

Her: :downswords: THIS IS A BREACH OF MY PRIVACY AND I DEMAND..
Me: :colbert:
Her: ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?!
Me: :colbert:
Her: I AM CALLING MY LAWYER!
Me: :colbert: Perhaps if you didn't want people digging through your things, you should have avoided adding your account to an ipad that is in a public place.

Shame on me for not testing more (or having enough time to test), but lady - you're loving stupid.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Analyst at the desk sends me a message saying that a client wants me to call her regarding a ticket I have in my bin.

I call her, no answer
I call her mobile, no answer
I check her OCS status: away for 5 minutes
10min
15min
20min

gently caress it, it was the end of my shift. She'll get a call tomorrow about her problem that won't ever get fixed.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Migishu posted:

Analyst at the desk sends me a message saying that a client wants me to call her regarding a ticket I have in my bin.

I call her, no answer
10min
15min
20min

gently caress it, it was the end of my shift. She'll get a call tomorrow about her problem that won't ever get fixed.

I'm convinced it's a hobby of certain users to call in a ticket at 16:59, then immediately sprint away to their already running car.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Migishu posted:

I call her, no answer
10min
15min
20min

I've gotten no less than 3 tickets paged out as :siren:urgent:siren: this morning. I try calling them as soon as I get the page, and no answer. Leave a voicemail requesting a call back, but no calls. How urgent can it be if you can't be bothered to answer your phone or call me back when you have a second?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm not actually involved in this but a manager here has somehow successfully talked vdi admins into + gotten a change approved for the installation of VOIP software into a vdi environment that call center users 500 miles away use. So that they won't have to have an actual phone on their desk anymore.

poo poo, it may work but it just sounds like a horrible plan to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck getting audio into and out of an RDP session at an acceptable quality, sounds like a world of hurt to me.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Developer wants to test a code change in production by manually replacing a couple DLLs in the application and comes to me asking if its OK to use a particular desktop to do this. This has no impact on me, I only deal with them when a new release needs to be pushed, don't give a poo poo what desktop they use and I tell him so.

Next day, dude comes to me, wants me to explain to him why the application no longer launches after he replaced the DLLS. It took multiple minutes to explain to him that I had nothing to do with anything that he did, and that his code changes were to blame.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

peak debt posted:

I'm convinced it's a hobby of certain users to call in a ticket at 16:59, then immediately sprint away to their already running car.

Whenever I get these calls, I picture them sitting in their car while holding onto a telephone handset that's been stretched, looney tunes style, all the way back into their office. As soon as they finish the message they let go and P-Shoooo, it flies through the front door, up three flights of stairs, under some tables in the coffee room and slams into the phone cradle. Beep! You have one new message!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'm not actually involved in this but a manager here has somehow successfully talked vdi admins into + gotten a change approved for the installation of VOIP software into a vdi environment that call center users 500 miles away use. So that they won't have to have an actual phone on their desk anymore.

Audio over VDI is a fools dream, much less trying to do something with such high quality needs as VOIP. These admins are hosed.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

stevewm posted:

I'm actually glad we made the switch to OpenOffice/LibreOffice some time ago.

We do have a handful of Excel 2010 and 2013 licenses for a app we use (its really an Excel macro). The users that have Excel use it only for the macro app and prefer to use LibreOffice Calc for normal spreadsheets over the real Excel!

Get back in your pod.

I have to find a way to make a product not supported by redhat or oracle work. I'm actually OK with the challenge, because I don't have to support it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I've had it work decently well on my VDI desktop at work. Of course, I only use it for testing customers phone systems, and I wouldn't dream of using it in a production environment.

I'm also using PCoIP, and not RDP, which handles audio a lot better.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Sickening posted:

Audio over VDI is a fools dream, much less trying to do something with such high quality needs as VOIP. These admins are hosed.

They're only doing what they're told. Not their fault it's going to be poo poo.

I guess it'll be made their problem though.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Lync 2013 apparently supports it.

Doesn't make it a good idea, and it probably throws your VoIP COS/QOS rules out the window, but it's supported.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2013

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Crowley posted:

The T410s we have have a horrible failure rate on their fans. I asked our usual warranty repair guy about the issue, and he said that Lenovo skimped on the fans and went with nylon bearings instead of brass. Now all the fans are failing and are being replaced with proper fans.

Luckily we have the top-tier service on all our laptops. When I needed a fan replacement on the laptop I use the repair guy happily drove out to our summer cottage and replaced the fan on a scheduled time.

I was just about to post this. We use lenovo and yeah they tried to cheap out on bearings and because of that they've replaced a good percentage of our fans. Our users also don't take very good care of their laptops, so I'm sure that's expedited the death of the fan, I've had my T420 since the beginning and have had no issues.

OH isee that was about T410s, well I am (fairly) certain that lenovo does this with most/all of their models, because we had previous models with the same issue.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
We have 5 different models of Lenovo. T420s and T410s are the worst. Between fan failures, colored lines of the screens, and TPM chip problems, I can't wait for this cycle to be over...

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
An update on my "AV guy has to set up an office network and a server at a hotel for a week" story:

They ended up sending a guy who is a support rep for DVSport, the video software the coaches use, and he was actually technically handy enough to wire all of the meeting rooms from the hotel's patch panel into a switch I sent along. He also got the 5U video server I had to ship there (sans UPS, god drat air freight shippers and their no batteries rule) to share a hotel guest internet connection and act as a proper dhcp/dns/wins/printer server while they were there, and got the xerox we rented set up on all the coaches' computers. I'm pretty goddamn impressed.

The AV guy did keep on texting me with a cavalcade of dumb questions during the setup, well into the wee hours of the morning (What about scan to email? Will we still be able to receive faxes at our office number? WHAT ABOUT EMAIL?!) but I just kept telling him to ask the DVSport rep. Thanks Eugene, you sure saved the day.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I promise you that I will find some way to work P-Shooo into a post, text or email sometime soon. Thank you.

For content (the people will never learn edition):

Sitting in a kickoff meeting for deploying a new application to production where we are talking about deploying a stretched SQL Server cluster across two of our data centers. I have built the QA environment to their ever changing specifications (the subject of its own rant, that) and now we are here to talk about prod.

So very quickly the conversation reveals that the QA environment in no way will resemble the production environment. The QA environment has two database servers that are not clustered in any way, but through some mystical ability will replicate the SQL data from one server to another (the documentation literally has

ServerA ---(SQL data)--->ServerB

to show the data replication process) and as the deployment guy I am supposed to divine how this will work.

The production environment has a windows failover cluster in the primary data center (with SQL Server in Active/Passive) that will then be partnered with a single SQL Server in the secondary data center that will somehow use SQL Server's ALways On feature to work, though no one seems to know how it actually works. There was a mention of a mythical dual-homed DNS entry that shows one IP address in one subnet and one IP Address in another subnet that users will point to for DR scenarios between data centers.

So now we have two sorta-kinda fleshed out scenarios for QA and Production and neither of them resemble the other.

When I mentioned company policy that QA should reflect Prod for deployment, testing and troubleshooting purposes, I was told that the two environments would be brought in sync "later, maybe Q2 2014".

Uh-huh. Right. Gotcha. Okay.

Testing will apparently be handled in the prod environment until it goes live and then "there won't be any need for troubleshooting Prod infra issues" because it'll just work, right? At this point I just sat back and said that I'll build what you tell me to build. Take note of my objections.

I pity the Operations folks who'll getting all the support calls after this poo poo show goes into production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Agrikk posted:

I promise you that I will find some way to work P-Shooo into a post, text or email sometime soon. Thank you.

Warning: homestuck shibboleth

• Locked thread