Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

http://www.subpop.com/catalog/artists/mogwai

Mogwai's "loser" edition of their new album is up for pre-order, still seems to be available too:

quote:

Deluxe Box Set version of Mogwai’s Rave Tapes includes the following:

- “Loser” edition vinyl of the full album – Limited edition, colored vinyl version of Rave Tapes.
- Bonus heavy-pressed 7" including 1 new, non-album track, with an art etching on the b-side.
- Bonus colored vinyl 12" with two MORE new, non-album songs only available in the box set version
-3 12″×12″ art prints of the cover art from the LP, bonus 12", and bonus 7"
- a 40 page, hardcover photograph book of shots taken in the studio while recording the album
- a CD copy of the album and a digital download card

Limited to 500 so get in there quick if you fancy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

They're probably just busy working on Chim's order.

ha - 2/3 orders shipped, including the 62x vinyl one.

apparently some guy on reddit spent 2000 dollars on oldies.com so I don't think I'm the sole reason for everyone's delayed orders...

Chim fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 20, 2013

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Thought you guys might like to know about this since they're only distributing the vinyl to donators.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/box-of-stars-last-box-of-sparklers-a-tribute-to-mark-linkous/x/5462186

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Thanks, but I need to stop looking at this thread. I convinced myself against any of the Joyful Noise, but I guess I've got 11 days to decide if I have the money for that. One of my all time favorite artists, and being covered by a few other of my favorites. Let's see if I can figure out how much is left on that stupid little chase gift/debit card... Guess it's for a good cause.

Oh. For a while I had this confused with the Mark Linkous documentary that I think was based out of the UK also on idiegogo - earlier this year, I think? Don't remember if that was funded.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

izationalizer posted:

Also, while I'm at it, here's a Parlophone pressing of Radiohead - "Amnesiac" for $28 OBO, which is cheaper than the $47 that the last one sold for.

My girlfriend just snagged it up and said to tell you thanks for the link! :nyan:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

izationalizer posted:

Also, while I'm at it, here's a Parlophone pressing of Radiohead - "Amnesiac" for $28 OBO, which is cheaper than the $47 that the last one sold for.

Just curious- does it sound significantly better than the Capitol repress you can find in most record stores, or is it just mainly sought after for collector cred? To be fair, at $28, it's not much more expensive than what a new Capitol goes for at many record stores.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

I am so angry the Snowflake Flexi sold-out so quickly. :argh:

Don't be, it's unplayable. I'm a member of the Joyful Noise flexi club and have no problems playing any of them. The snow flexi though, I just could not get that to work.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Oldies cancelled my order for the Beasts soundtrack. Apparently they didn't have it in stock after all. So I went on Discogs and bought Laura Stevenson's Runner EP. I'll make my first trip to a B&M store maybe this weekend. There were a couple stacks of 45s on a sidewalk flea market table the other day that I should have at least looked through, even though I had already burned through my vinyl budget.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MondayHotDog posted:

Oldies cancelled my order for the Beasts soundtrack. Apparently they didn't have it in stock after all.

:ohdear:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I was wondering if this was going to happen to people. I just really want that TerrorVision soundtrack.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Waiting on my *Shels order and my Oldies.com order reminded me that I'm waiting on a few other records, for a grand total of 8 that are in transit / being processed.

This loving hobby

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Doctor Cave posted:

Don't be, it's unplayable. I'm a member of the Joyful Noise flexi club and have no problems playing any of them. The snow flexi though, I just could not get that to work.

I wouldn't call it unplayable. You just had to use coins to hold down each of the snowflake arms.

I've only listened to it like once.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I was wondering if this was going to happen to people. I just really want that TerrorVision soundtrack.

Ha, I'm listening to (one) of mine as we speak.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Cosmic Horror posted:

I wouldn't call it unplayable. You just had to use coins to hold down each of the snowflake arms.

ha. I have no idea what this record looks like, but that suggestion makes it sound awesome on that front alone.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Cosmic Horror posted:

You must have better luck than me! I remember using a heap of coins and getting some sound out of it, but I was never able to play it properly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ha, I'm listening to (one) of mine as we speak.

This is how mutha fuckas get cut.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CPL593H posted:

I got a shipped notice but it's unclear what they shipped and they only charged my card about half the total price of my order so I am not optimistic. Figured a lot of what I saw was too good to be true.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
oldies largest shipment came in, 45/62 records, the beasts soundtrack was there but missing a couple really good ones. refunded me the money though... overall still a great deal. hang in there guys, maybe my copy of 00 void by sunn o)))) is en route to you :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Beasts soundtrack has been shipped. Phew!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My poo poo has shipped as well.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
For those of you who received your orders, what condition are they in? Someone mentioned a page or so back that some records from Oldies come banged up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dr. Lenin posted:

For those of you who received your orders, what condition are they in? Someone mentioned a page or so back that some records from Oldies come banged up.

I think that was just me complaining, but it was about a bunch of dvds they sent me. Hopefully they take more care shipping their records because it sounds like people ordered a ton.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

One time I ordered a record online and the cover had a tiny barely perceptible crease. I came very close to suicide on that day. I ended up in a mental hospital for six months after that incident. It was the worst experience of my life. And probably the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

One time I ordered a record online and the cover had a tiny barely perceptible crease. I came very close to suicide on that day. I ended up in a mental hospital for six months after that incident. It was the worst experience of my life. And probably the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone.

Lack of TerrorVision is making you lash out.

I will take all my copies and sleep on 'em in your honour.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lack of TerrorVision is making you lash out.

I will take all my copies and sleep on 'em in your honour.

No, don't!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can't hear you, I'm quintuple TerrorVisioning.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

I admit it, I do worry too drat much about the condition of the records. I don't know if it is an actual OCD type thing or just a weird tick I have, but when I purchase something I have to put it aside for a little while otherwise I focus on every little crease, dent, etc... I'm probably going to just start ripping up packing slips and receipts as soon as I get a record and confirm it plays correctly, because that's all that really matters.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

I admit it, I do worry too drat much about the condition of the records. I don't know if it is an actual OCD type thing or just a weird tick I have, but when I purchase something I have to put it aside for a little while otherwise I focus on every little crease, dent, etc... I'm probably going to just start ripping up packing slips and receipts as soon as I get a record and confirm it plays correctly, because that's all that really matters.

If the cover is torn in half, I'd have a problem. But I've noticed a lot of people lose their poo poo over minor defects and send poo poo back and forth and that's just not worth it. My primary concern is always the actual discs. some websites will even sell albums at a discount because of these minor defects. I got the Classic Records pressing of Quadrophenia for ten bucks off because the cover had a tiny crease.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I'd say 39/42 records were sealed. 2 records had a hole punched through the cover and 1 was legitimately just plain opened, but those 3 were kind of bizarro purchases I made in the heat of the moment and cost less than 4 bucks a piece, so overall I'm very satisfied

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
As with anything, there's a line between "acceptable" and "unacceptable." People who freak out over tiny creases and dents annoy me too, but album art is one of the main reasons why a lot of people buy vinyl.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset if you order an LP in presumably good condition and the sleeve arrives with an entire corner bashed in.

Granted, the only time I've ever bought an album that way was from Polyvinyl's 'scratch 'n' dent' discount sale so I knew what was coming.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Ordered Peter Brotzmann Octet's Machine Gun, came decent but the inner sleeve was kind of crinkled and there's what I assume is adhesive crap from the sleeve on the edge of the disc itself. How the gently caress do I get it off?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Ordered Peter Brotzmann Octet's Machine Gun, came decent but the inner sleeve was kind of crinkled and there's what I assume is adhesive crap from the sleeve on the edge of the disc itself. How the gently caress do I get it off?

Is it in any of the grooves or just on the edge? I'd try to scratch it off with a fingernail and maybe try some rubbing alcohol if there's any residue left.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Very happy to see a repress of Donald Byrd's Kofi by Parisian reissue label Heavenly Sweetness. As far as I can tell, the only other time it was pressed on vinyl was back in 1995 and even that release is now fetching a relatively high price tag. Comes with an additional 10" that includes the last track (The Loud Minority) that wasn't ever present on the vinyl release of the album. Cool stuff for fans of 60s era Blue Note and the late Mr. Byrd himself.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is it in any of the grooves or just on the edge? I'd try to scratch it off with a fingernail and maybe try some rubbing alcohol if there's any residue left.

A bit in the grooves, yes.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Mondo posted this on Instagram earlier today with the caption "We... uh... found a way".

http://instagram.com/p/g-2zXsSvhD/

Amber colored Jurassic Park OST? I hope so.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dr. Lenin posted:

Mondo posted this on Instagram earlier today with the caption "We... uh... found a way".

http://instagram.com/p/g-2zXsSvhD/

Amber colored Jurassic Park OST? I hope so.

gently caress yes. This is great news. The only way to get that soundtrack is on some rare picture disc, and with Mondo vinyl releases not being in short supply these days whatsoever, this is great stuff.

But will it contain the acclaimed Harmonica cover?

e: countdown to the cover being loving horrendous.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

IIIIII would finally buy a Mondo release if it was Jurassic Park.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
There are really two options, cover wise:

Black with the original logo and title

Or

That painting of Ian Malcolm with the butterfly and the tornado.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

This would be a better Death Waltz release, both in pressing, but also cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

This would be a better Death Waltz release, both in pressing, but also cover.

That goes for every Mondo release so far. The sound quality is nothing to write home about and the covers... Well, the Halloween one was okay, I guess. But Drive was horrendously ugly. Oblivion was really nice. Maniac was awful when compared to the Death Waltz cover.

I'm simultaneously curious about and also dreading the cover reveal.