Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

ulmont posted:

Three Parts Dead (futuristic fantasy world where the gods have been taught a lesson; main character is a necromancer if necromancers were law firm associates).
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Parts-Dead-Max-Gladstone/dp/B00D00VKYW

Awesome! This suggestion reminded me to check to see if the author had written any more books in this series, and it appears that book two (Two Serpents Rise) was published at the end of October: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQY7VMS/

Hmmm... reread book one first or dive right in...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Philthy posted:

Finished "Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets" and "Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member". I found both to be incredibly immersive. I read them straight through.

Any other recommendations that are just completely engrossing? 80s and beyond in particular.

I remember being pretty fascinated by Among The Thugs by Bill Buford, an American journalist who traveled Europe with a band of "football hooligans" from England in the late 80s or early 90s (can't remember which). It was sort of a real-life A Clockwork Orange.

http://www.amazon.com/Among-Thugs-Bill-Buford-ebook/dp/B00C4BA4KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384787235&sr=8-1&keywords=among+the+thugs

Also, not quite the kind of "gangs" you're looking for, but if you're interested in cults at all, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright is incredible.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Clear-S...rds=going+clear

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
I don't have a background in linguistics (though I do love language), but the more I read online about generative grammar, the more it intrigues me. I'd like to read some books on the subject but am not sure where to start, since the literature on it is so vast. I'm assuming something by Chomsky would be a good place to start?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tonytheshoes posted:

I remember being pretty fascinated by Among The Thugs by Bill Buford, an American journalist who traveled Europe with a band of "football hooligans" from England in the late 80s or early 90s (can't remember which). It was sort of a real-life A Clockwork Orange.

Very good recommendation, just read this recently. If you dug it, March of the Hooligans is a nice companion piece, but not quite as disturbing/engrossing.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Raspberry Bang posted:

I'm looking for some fiction that's both weird and clever. Like a really "out there" idea for a book. I guess in the same vein as Chuck Palahnuik, Catherine Dunn (mainly Geek Love), and Mark Z. Danielewski to name a few.

I recently read Lexicon by Max Barry and like his previous book, Jennifer Government, I think it has those qualities you are seeking.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
This past year I have really been blown away by the awesomeness of 3 authors. Roger Zelazny, Gene Wolfe, and Jack Vance. I've enjoyed almost everything I've read from them (which is quite a bit at this point). I'm wondering if there is some equally awesome sci-fi/fantasy author that would sort of fit in this group that maybe I've overlooked. I can't believe I hadn't even heard of Vance or Zelazny until earlier in the year.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

One posted:

This past year I have really been blown away by the awesomeness of 3 authors. Roger Zelazny, Gene Wolfe, and Jack Vance. I've enjoyed almost everything I've read from them (which is quite a bit at this point). I'm wondering if there is some equally awesome sci-fi/fantasy author that would sort of fit in this group that maybe I've overlooked. I can't believe I hadn't even heard of Vance or Zelazny until earlier in the year.

Probably my favorite lesser-known science fiction author is Theodore Sturgeon. He was most prolific in the short story form but has some novels as well. His stories are really great, the best of which have that rare quality of an ending that is absolutely perfect and the only way the story could end while simultaneously taking you by surprise (We Can Remember It For You Wholesale being an excellent example. It was later very very loosely adapted into the movie Total Recall. And telling you that does not ruin the ending of the story).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Probably my favorite lesser-known science fiction author is Theodore Sturgeon. He was most prolific in the short story form but has some novels as well. His stories are really great, the best of which have that rare quality of an ending that is absolutely perfect and the only way the story could end while simultaneously taking you by surprise (We Can Remember It For You Wholesale being an excellent example. It was later very very loosely adapted into the movie Total Recall. And telling you that does not ruin the ending of the story).

Um, that's PKD, buddy.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I think you'll like The Magus by John Fowles.
Kurt Vonnegut is an obvious next step from Palahniuk. Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five are the most famous, but The Sirens of Titan and Blackbeard are my favorites. But those may be better after you're familiar with his work. And those former two maybe fit the "out there" request better.

e: maybe Blindness by Jose Saramago. Definitely had lots of "wow, is Saramago really going there? Yep, guess he is" moments.

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five last week! I'm definitely going to read more if his stuff. And this Blindness book sounds pretty neat. Thanks!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

funkybottoms posted:

Um, that's PKD, buddy.
The real Theodore Sturgeon is good too.
<---------------------------------------

One posted:

You might like Michael Swanwick. KJ Parker is another option, though he/she is probably a bit more like a fantasy Neal Stephenson.

I read those three authors a long time ago and haven't really found anything like them since.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

funkybottoms posted:

Um, that's PKD, buddy.

Haha, goddamn you're right. Theodore Sturgeon is still good though :colbert:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Chas McGill posted:

You might like Michael Swanwick.

Ahaha, yes. Read The Iron Dragon's Daughter but only at a point in time at which you're feeling emotionally robust and relatively non-suicidal. Because, I mean, loving hell.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm looking for something new in the same kind of realm as Cyberpunk (Neuromancer, et al), Judge Dredd, Clockwork Orange / Altered Quasi Future hellscapes kinda things. Nothing far-future sci-fi, but dark and moody. I've exhausted PKD and Gibson, as well as Mieville and some other Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff so far and I want to read something kinda raw and vicious.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm looking for something new in the same kind of realm as Cyberpunk (Neuromancer, et al), Judge Dredd, Clockwork Orange / Altered Quasi Future hellscapes kinda things. Nothing far-future sci-fi, but dark and moody. I've exhausted PKD and Gibson, as well as Mieville and some other Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff so far and I want to read something kinda raw and vicious.

Have you checked out the Petrovitch series by Simon Morden?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Zola posted:

Have you checked out the Petrovitch series by Simon Morden?

News to me. The reviews are a little worrisome, but lacking any other recommendations, I'll give it a go.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

News to me. The reviews are a little worrisome, but lacking any other recommendations, I'll give it a go.

It's pulpy and not too deep, but it's a very fun read. I would also suggest checking out David Marusek's work.

VVV Marusek is not a mystery writer.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 19, 2013

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

funkybottoms posted:

It's pulpy and not too deep, but it's a very fun read. I would also suggest checking out David Marusek's work.

Well, I'm not at all into Mystery novels (even when skinned with Sci-Fi) - it sounds like Marusek's stuff is in that line.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

robotsinmyhead posted:

Have you read:
-Richard K. Morgan: Altered Carbon (not my favourite but he's definitely brutal)
-Michael Marshall Smith: Spares in particular
-Jon Courtenay Grimwood: 9 Tail Fox and Remix in particular.

None of these are 'new' but they might be new to you.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

Have you read:
-Richard K. Morgan: Altered Carbon (not my favourite but he's definitely brutal)
-Michael Marshall Smith: Spares in particular
-Jon Courtenay Grimwood: 9 Tail Fox and Remix in particular.

None of these are 'new' but they might be new to you.

I read Altered Carbon, almost twice actually. I didn't remember reading it and started reading it again without realizing. Needless to say, it was somewhat forgettable - though it did well with the brutal / visceral feel.

The other books there sound like Mystery/Hard Boiled. All the protagonists are Cops/ExCops. I don't wanna pigeonhole an entire genre, but I'm altogether tired of it.

edit: I don't mean to be difficult, and I sincerely appreciate the recommendations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

One posted:

Those three are my personal holy trinity of Sci-Fi - they just have totally amazing bodies of work that are somehow perfectly timeless and wedded to their eras. All hail.

To add to those, I recommend:

R.A. Lafferty - probably most similar to Wolfe between his willingness to completely work outside of the genre and manic love of language and wild concepts when working within it. Like many S.F. authors of his era, the status of his body of work is in utter disarray - multiple publishers selling the same material under different names and other wackadoo stuff like that. I recommend the "Nine Hundred Grandmothers" collection - there's a nice, fat 1999 paperback of it that can be found for not too much.

Cordwainer Smith - dedicated his life to one saga, the Instrumentality of Mankind (look for "The Rediscovery of Man" collection), which somewhat predates Vance's "Dying Earth" material but ultimately goes in a totally different direction. Totally great, and rarely mentioned.

M. John Harrison's Viriconium books are my favorite post-"Dying Earth" saga, blatantly influenced by Vance without being derivative. I feel like nobody ever talks about these anymore, so maybe you haven't encountered them.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

A one hit wonder some years ago was Gideon't Fall by Eric Gabrielsen. I liked it so much I kept pestering the author to write more in that world and finally - http://www.amazon.com/Augment-Part-1-Eric-Gabrielsen-ebook/dp/B00GDJ0YDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384901789&sr=8-1&keywords=augment+eric is out on Kindle. A few typos but great action. I also suggest the whole series by Daniel K. Moran "The Continuing Time" series which is definite cyberpunk, a few aliens, telepaths, the French takeover of the world and much, much more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Keys_Moran

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I enjoyed them and listened to the audio versions of the first 3 books. The latest one, The Curve Of The Earth didn't get made in audio so I read it the old fashioned way. Not superb - but pretty good.

Petrovich is an interesting cyborgish character.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

specklebang posted:

I also suggest the whole series by Daniel K. Moran "The Continuing Time" series which is definite cyberpunk, a few aliens, telepaths, the French takeover of the world and much, much more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Keys_Moran

This sounds like good stuff. I thought I was finished with the Cyberpunk genre after reading the big titles, but this sounds great all over.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quinton posted:

Awesome! This suggestion reminded me to check to see if the author had written any more books in this series, and it appears that book two (Two Serpents Rise) was published at the end of October: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQY7VMS/

Hmmm... reread book one first or dive right in...

Dive right in. There's not a whole lot of connection between the two.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
Ok so my boyfriend has stolen my kindle to read the Dune series (Or well, at least the first 5 of it). It's going to take him some time, so I would love it if someone could recommend an absolutely gigantic book for me to go and buy.

Genre wise - would like to stick to Fantasy/Sci-Fi, but not too fussy within that bracket. I've only recently gotten back into reading with long commutes to work, so I haven't covered that much ground yet though. Brandon Sanderson is among the favourites as i'm sure he is for many others. But the ones i know I haven't read by him aren't that long, and they are hiding on my kindle when it's returned. So now I'm lost!

It doesn't have to be new, old is good too. And it can be a part of a series as i can always pick up the rest on the kindle. Just as long as it's incredibly long and incredibly large!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ela posted:

Ok so my boyfriend has stolen my kindle to read the Dune series (Or well, at least the first 5 of it). It's going to take him some time, so I would love it if someone could recommend an absolutely gigantic book for me to go and buy.

Genre wise - would like to stick to Fantasy/Sci-Fi, but not too fussy within that bracket. I've only recently gotten back into reading with long commutes to work, so I haven't covered that much ground yet though. Brandon Sanderson is among the favourites as i'm sure he is for many others. But the ones i know I haven't read by him aren't that long, and they are hiding on my kindle when it's returned. So now I'm lost!

It doesn't have to be new, old is good too. And it can be a part of a series as i can always pick up the rest on the kindle. Just as long as it's incredibly long and incredibly large!

If you want long, have I got the series for you: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and later, Brandon Sanderson). 13 or 14 books, most of which are pretty good. Particularly at the beginning and end. First book is The Eye of the World.

Other possibilities:
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Stephen Erikson. Some people hate the writing style, and the first book is often considered the weakest, at least the first time through the series. The series in general is kind of love it or hate it. It's dark and gritty but also (imo) kind of Dragonball Z'ish with power levels going over 9000!!!

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Unfinished, but very long nevertheless. Dense and, particularly early on, is something of a deconstruction of fantasy tropes, in the best possible way. Best read after you're sick of the "humble peasant with band of unlikely heroes, aided by mysterious mentor, takes on the greatest evil in the universe" style of fantasy since none of that exists. Very dark, gritty, realistic, depressing. Some of the greatest characters in the fantasy oeuvre. I'm quite fond of this series and it's currently a popular HBO show.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. 9 books, though the first three are a standalone trilogy and are generally considered the best. Kind of the predecessor to today's trend of dark gritty fantasy.

Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson. 3 trilogies so it's long, but tbqh only the first trilogy would get my recommendation.

Harry Potter. At this point in time, you're either someone who has already read them and loved them, or has resisted the hype either because they're "kids books" or just because they seem overhyped. Just read them, they're legit good and while the first couple are kids books, by the end the series has grown beyond a simple Young Adult label.

The Xanth series by Piers Anthony. A million books long. Don't read these. But if you must, stop after the first three. But seriously, don't read these.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. I'd read Xanth before I read these. Skip this series. Included for the sake of completeness.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Looking for any recommendations based on a TV show. Carnivale is about a fight against good vs evil set in the 1920's dustbowl. It has great allusions to the atomic bomb, apocalypse, ushering in evil and the like. If anyone has seen it they will know what I am talking about. But I am looking for books of the same nature.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Ela posted:

Dhalgren - See you this time next year.

Alternately, buy that big ol' loving brick that collects all of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast stuff:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Flaggy posted:

Looking for any recommendations based on a TV show. Carnivale is about a fight against good vs evil set in the 1920's dustbowl. It has great allusions to the atomic bomb, apocalypse, ushering in evil and the like. If anyone has seen it they will know what I am talking about. But I am looking for books of the same nature.

I want to get this in before everyone latches on to the carnival aspect and falls all over themselves pitching you either "Geek Love" or "the Night Circus" (by all means read the poo poo out of both, but they're not what you're asking for).

Instead, I'll pitch you Nick Mamatas' Move Under Ground. Jack Kerouac and co. perceive the return of Elder Gods and go "on the road" (see what I did there) to warn everyone/possibly prevent the destruction of this reality.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a request: I'm a real sucker for "real life is stranger than fiction" stories, narratives that reveal that the world around us is often more interesting and bizarre than sci-fi. Like, y'know, everything about Scientology,, or the fact that one of the white-coated guys that got us to the moon was also a crazy sex magick guy who, among other things, was trying to bring about the birth of the antichrist and the end of the world, or that Chile tried to run their entire economy off of a primitive computer AI system in the seventies, complete with a "Star Trek"-like control room.

I'd like more of this stuff, the weirder or more "how on earth do more people not know about this?" the better - please no Devil in the White City (only because I've read it, like everyone else on earth!).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I want to get this in before everyone latches on to the carnival aspect and falls all over themselves pitching you either "Geek Love" or "the Night Circus" (by all means read the poo poo out of both, but they're not what you're asking for).

Instead, I'll pitch you Nick Mamatas' Move Under Ground. Jack Kerouac and co. perceive the return of Elder Gods and go "on the road" (see what I did there) to warn everyone/possibly prevent the destruction of this reality.

Thank you, I was hoping to stay away from the carnival aspect. This is perfect I will check it out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Here's a request: I'm a real sucker for "real life is stranger than fiction" stories, narratives that reveal that the world around us is often more interesting and bizarre than sci-fi. Like, y'know, everything about Scientology,, or the fact that one of the white-coated guys that got us to the moon was also a crazy sex magick guy who, among other things, was trying to bring about the birth of the antichrist and the end of the world, or that Chile tried to run their entire economy off of a primitive computer AI system in the seventies, complete with a "Star Trek"-like control room.

I'd like more of this stuff, the weirder or more "how on earth do more people not know about this?" the better - please no Devil in the White City (only because I've read it, like everyone else on earth!).

Although the general gist of the story is universally known due to cultural osmosis, I'll recommend Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi, the lead prosecutor in the Manson case. It's a great examination of just how insane the beliefs of Manson and co. were, and with some weird spooky poo poo that makes it seem like Bugliosi almost believes Manson has supernatural powers. It's also a very interesting read ... but man were the details of the Manson family and the case weird as hell.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

You can try some of Mary Roach's stuff like Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Also check out some of Simon Winchester's work. Another book that was really big a few years ago that was strangely enough made into a movie Adaptation which had absolutely nothing to do with the book itself was Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

specklebang posted:

I also suggest the whole series by Daniel K. Moran "The Continuing Time" series which is definite cyberpunk, a few aliens, telepaths, the French takeover of the world and much, much more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Keys_Moran

Oh man, I read The Long Run way back in high school more than twenty years ago and I recall it as one of the most fun reads ever. Time to revisit that and check out the rest of Moran's stuff soon, perhaps.

Chris Chichester
Oct 23, 2001
Fun Shoe

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester and The Bloody White Baron by James Palmer. Both scratched that same itch for me.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

If you want long, have I got the series for you: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and later, Brandon Sanderson). 13 or 14 books, most of which are pretty good. Particularly at the beginning and end. First book is The Eye of the World.

Wonderful, suppose i've been looking for the nudge on that series, I actually have the later ones by Brandon Sanderson already so i could probably start this off for sure.

Funnily enough, i've read ASOIAF (twice), Harry Potter and the Malazan Book of the Fallen, all great to be honest. I did read Harry Potter when i was extremely young so there is potential to check those out again however! I have The Black Company on the kindle so i'll wait until i have it back to start that one.

Thanks for the help!

These both seem great too, looks like i can get cracking. Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Ela posted:

These both seem great too, looks like i can get cracking. Thanks!

If you want more dense, weird, science-fiction, check out Gene Wolfe. Also, I know a lot of people here have mixed feelings about it, but I really enjoyed King's Dark Tower series (not that it's as dense and weird as Dune or Dhalgren, but I think it fits your bill).

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
LONGWINDED MISOGYNY GIMMICK
Any good books on The English Civil War, the beheading of King Charles and the rise of Cromwell? A beginner's guide to what lead up to Charles being beheaded, the war and then the fallout? I know so little about the period, and all goodreads lists is good for is finding the absolute best in crappy romance novels.

Any recommendations would be wonderful. I came across God's Fury; England's Fire, but reviews said that it's very dry and a better book if you're already familiar with the events, where I'm trying to become familiar with them. Any truth to this or should I just go with that book?

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 22, 2013

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Flaggy... I don't have a book that alludes to the atomic bomb or apocalypse in the way that Carnivale did, but just before that show came out I read Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck and was loving impressed when Carnivale captured that 'everything is hosed' feel the book had. The landscape, the desolateness, the hope in the face of hopelessness... it's a loving good book. There's kind of a fight against good and evil, but there's no heaven/hell archetypes. However there is Tom Joad who you might've heard about from Rage Against The Machine back in the day. The show perfectly captures the feel the book had, even with all the extra elements that made it so great in it's own right.

While probably not exactly not what you're looking for, I really recommend the Grapes of Wrath. Read it, and if you throw the book against the wall at the end and break something, blame Mr Steinbeck not me.

Edit: One of my favourite atomic bomb / apocalypse books is On The Beach by Nevil Shute. Written in the late 50's it's about some of the last people alive, trying to go about their normal lives while the rest of the world has gone dark and the remaining population are coming down with the radiation sickness and trying to hide it, trying to live like normal. There's a chapter about a man with a formula 1 ferrari, and they're having the last forumla 1 race ever, and since there's no point living and everyone's dying anyway... well you can work it out. It's another good book that you might like.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

art of spoonbending posted:

While probably not exactly not what you're looking for, I really recommend the Grapes of Wrath. Read it, and if you throw the book against the wall at the end and break something, blame Mr Steinbeck not me.
This is what I miss most about real books. People talk about the feel of the paper, the smell of a new/old book. What I miss most is hurling a book across the room in a rage. Can't do that with a Kindle.